Grey's Anatomy First Look: Watch the First 11 Minutes of Next Week's Alt-Reality Episode Now

“Bright and shiny” Meredith Grey has arrived — and a week ahead of schedule!

The first 11 minutes of next Thursday’s much-hyped alternate reality episode of Grey’s Anatomy (ABC 9/8c) has hit the Interwebs, and it’s pretty freakin’ bananas.

The out-there hour finds Meredith imagining what her life would have been like had her mother, Ellis, not had Alzheimer’s.

Press play below and then hit the comments with an answer to this question: Based on this extended promo, which Grey’s do you prefer — the real one or the faux one?

Loading video...

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

1. Sam says:

That was the best opening ever. Derek is so freaking miserable, it’s sad to look at him. I really think the baby is not his, Addison looks like she’s hiding something, I wonder if Mark is in it, maybe it’s his.
    Meredith with great parents, good to see it. The MerDer scene was good, they will find each other at the end of this dream, along with the other couples.

2. Martin says:

I’m guessing they’re not in it, but please Ausiello tell me is George or Izzie even mentioned in the episode??

• Caro says:

I guess in the alt episode they’re not working at Seattle Grace. It’s not even called Seattle Grace Mercy West, did you notice? I was surprised to see so many doctors still working at SG, like Owen and Arizona… In a real alt episode there would be much more variables so less chance of these characters ending up in the same hospital. So it’s still a forced alt epi.

• Agreed says:

I agree. I don’t think Derek & Addison would be there, I don’t think Owen would be there and I don’t think Arizona would be there. I don’t think Christina would be there either. I feel like she wouldn’t have patience to work with someone like Callie.

• aries.snake says:

Arizona worked there even before the other peds surgeon died, so I can see her still being there. And Owen came in initially assisting in a trauma, so he still probably would have shown up. And since they’re both great surgeons, it’s incredibly likely that Ellis would have hired them. As for Derek and Addison, I think they would be there. Derek ran away to Seattle after Addison cheated, and Addison followed him. Why wouldn’t they be there? He really likes those ferryboats….

• Alicia L. says:

I understand that Owen would have never been there, but considering Arizona still has great credentials, Ellis would have hired her after their PEDS surgeon died! I guess the car accident with the ice still happened, but under different circumstances. I don’t understand how Callie and Owen met and had enough time for them to have three kids above the age of two!

• Amanda says:

They scan over the hospital name towards the beginning, it says “Seattle Grace Hospital”

• Elsol69 says:

I disagree… Owen would still work in the hospital because he has no previous contact with these characters outside of the hospital until he comes to the hospital the first time. Same for Arizona. Similar things could occur within the context of characters that don’t appear… George & Izzie. Maybe they were there at the beginning and left — keep in mind George failed his exams so he could have been kicked out. And he was Izzie’s best friend so the things that happened to her could have been worse. Derek and Addison work… if addison cheated, Derek goes cross-country, and Addison follows (exactly like she did in the other reality) but with no MerDer then Derek and Addison get back together more permanently. Without MerDer, Addisson doesn’t have a reason to leave Seattle either.

3. Ana says:

I usually enjoy the “what if” stories b/c fiction allows us to imagine so many different alternatives and that can be fun. However, in this case, I’m not sure… Grey’s was supposed to be a serious medical drama and this looks like something a show would do when they’re running out of ideas — the same goes for dream sequences and the like — I hope I’m wrong.

• Caro says:

I totally agree.

• Ana says:

Greys has never been a super serious drama. Ever. From the first season there were a lot of funny moments and a lot comedy throughout every episode. They got a little bit away from that formula during the last season or so but they have returned to it this season. With great results in mi opinion.

• Viv says:

Musical Episode. The height of running out of ideas on Grey’s Anatomy.

• Taïs says:

Actually, Shonda said she’s always wanted to do the musical episode, she only just got the approval from the network in the seventh season :)

4. jenn says:

loved every bit of it!!!!!!

5. Caro says:

I think it’s too far fetched to pair up Callie and Owen! Why them together? I don’t see it, not even in an alterial world. And why is Meredith called Meredith Webber?! Her mother is still Grey, right?
    Also, Mer with Alex – I don’t see how they could fall in love… but again; Callie and Owen is too weird! Callie with a man seems fitting but I don’t think she fits with Owen. I do like that Owen has lots and lots of kids… lol! And Mer and Sarah Drew’s character as best friends, I can see that.
    Nice to see Addison and Ellis again! But overall, I won’t mind to watch next weeks episode right away! I miss Mer & Der together.

• Russ says:

I think in this reality Ellis and Richard got married and they both changed their name to Webber.

• Jeff says:

yeah, but what if Webber adopted her? She would then be a Webber.

• ron says:

merediths mother began her affair with webber when she was a little girl. more then likely she dumped her ex for the chief, they got married and he adopted meredith, thus the name change.

• Annie says:

I think it’s too far fetched that Hispanic Callie produced two children who look like they could be freaking poster children for Aryan breading. I mean those kids were so blonde I almost needed sunglasses.

• Barbie says:

Except for being heartbroken for Lexie (who’s been my favorite since pretty much her first day!) <3 , I LOVED every bit of it!!! Can we keep it that way??? Please???? Pretty please???

And, yes, Ellis probably married Richard when Meredith was a kid, changed her name to Webber, he adoped Meredith, and raised her as his own daughter. SO CUTE!!! :)

6. Luisa says:

It was like fresh air… I’m looking forward to see the entire episode. So happy to see Addison back and with Derek, I’ve always thought they had great potential in season 2. Alex is a nerd, but I really like this very different couple Meredith and Alex. I really hope to not be disappointed at the end of the episode.

7. CB says:

This looks so awesome. I cannot wait until the episode. I kind of wish this was a two part episode just to explore this world a little bit more. I cannot believe how happy Meredith is. Cannot wait until Thursday.

8. Martin says:

Thursday isn’t coming fast enough! That really was the best opening ever. You should have seen my face when I saw Ellis in the kitchen. Hell you should have seen my face from start to finish. Favorite line, “Jackson, don’t feed the animals.”

9. Rashad says:

I FREAKIN’ LOVED THAT!!! Nerdy Alex is AWESOME! lol

10. MaggieM says:

SR said in an interview that we will understand where George and Izzie went, so they’re gonna be mentioned. Although Callie and Owen are totally not for each other, I think the point they are trying to make is, what if Owen had married to a woman with a demanding job (cardio surgeon)and had a bunch of kids. It will be an episode about choices and decisions and sometimes regardless of them certain things will find you, for example Callie will have unexplained feelings for Arizona and Owen will be pining for Cristina may be :)But it’ll be fun to see the doctors from another perspective. I’m thrilled! Let’s give it a chance

• Ashleah says:

Owen wanted lots of kids, and didn’t Callie also want lots of kids? That’s probably why SR paired them together.

11. Olita says:

I thought it was fun! Can’t wait to see how things unfold.

12. Z. says:

This looks so funny:) If you realise how much depends on Meredith, it’s so weird. Because Ellis was there Richard never became Chief and he didn’t guide Bailey to be more confident and the surgeon she is today. Because Meredith wasn’t dark and twisty she never met Derek at Joe’s and when Addison came back for Derek they got back together. Because Derek wasn’t with Meredith, he was still in an unhappy marriage, he didn’t get inspired and challenged, Mer never had an intrest in neuro and he never even did the clinical trail. The shooting even never happend because Derek wasn’t chief. George still died because he had an accident and Izzie was never saved by Derek because he wasn’t that good of a surgeon as he is now. Lexie’s mom never went to Mer when she had the hiccups and Lexie went to Mass Gen for her internship instead of SGH because her sister was there. And April is her person:):) I am loving this episode already.

• Sara says:

So much word! The episode proves how much everything is all Meredith. She’s the heart and soul of the show. One different thing in her life and everyone and everything is changed.

• Danielle says:

Absolutely, I think you hit the nail on the head. The only thing I don’t understand, though, is how Lexie went from being an awesome surgeon to ODing in a park – this seems a bit far fetched since Meredith’s dad was there for her in both realities.

• sam says:

Maybe because Ellis left Thatcher for Webber, he had even more issues than we see in the real universe, which also affected Lexie. Just a thought! Can’t wait to see this episode.

• Greer says:

I agree with Sam. I bet Lexie never went to med school… she got Thatcher, and thus the “dark and twisty” life…

13. Amanda says:

I love the throwback to music in the early seasons!

14. Brian says:

So… Callie, what, CHOSE to become a lesbian in reality? The musical episode was atrocious, but this looks like it might be almost just as painful… They should really make next season the final one.

• Sara says:

Callie isn’t a lesbian in any reality. She’s bisexual.

• Jessica says:

No…Callie didn’t choose to become a lesbian. In the AU episode Callie is still a bisexual, but she’s never had a chance to explore that side of her. Since Callie is the Cardio Attending, then Erica never came to town. If it weren’t for Erica I think Callie would still be in the closet, which is what appears to have happened in the AU episode. And in the episode, Callie doesn’t understand her attraction to Arizona. Just like she didn’t understand her sttraction to Erica at first. Remember she slept with Mark (over and over) to try to prove she didn’t have feelings for a woman.

• unicornwasp says:

callie is bisexual. always has been.

• Chris says:

Why is Callie a Cardio attending? She’s always been Ortho… What changed in Meredith’s life that would make Callie change her specialty… That makes no sense.

15. justin says:

dont get take this the wrong way i loved this but i dont see how ellis not being sick changes everyones personalities

• Ana says:

I think that the starting point of this reality is that Richard chose Ellis. That changed everything. Ellis stayed in Seattle instead of going off to Boston. She became Chief instead of Webber and that changed the entire hospital because she made different choices right down to the scrub colors. She mentored Callie who went into cardiovascular instead of ortho therefore, Erica never came to SG and therefore Callie never explored her attraction to women. Instead, she married a man with similar goals, Owen who also wants a big family. Mer had a happy childhood so she never had the daddy issues and the dark and twisties. Because Mer is happy, she never off with Cristina and never got involved with Derek because she wasn’t in that bar getting drunk the day before she started working at SG. It’s a domino effect. One event leads to another. In this case the fact that Ellis stayed and never got sick changed everything.

• Martin says:

I’ve been trying to figure out why Callie was in Cardio instead of Ortho, but your reasoning seems spot on. That makes so much sense. I wanna say Christina sold out Izzie as to who cut Denny’s LVAD wire. If you go back to Christina’s monologue, she said that she could have given him the person who did it, with no loyalty to anyone. But she had loyalty to Mer and Izzie. But seeing as they were never friends, she sold her out. And Ellis being Chief fired Izzie right on the spot. This is assuming that everything with Denny still somehow happens. As for George, I’ll just say that he was never hit by the bus and he did make it to the army. But I’m still confused to the whereabouts with Mark. Since Addison didn’t have any competition with Mer, she had no temptation to go back to Mark, so he went back to NY?

16. Brenna says:

I hope we get something that connects lexie to mark, even if he isnt in the episode. i didnt like the whole “shes all yours avery” thing even if this is an alt world. i really miss them! nerdy alex is too cute and love the meredith and cristina tension.

17. Michelle says:

This was Absolutely Amazing!!! I could not help smiling and laughing!
    1. Alex and Meredith kiss was so awkward and hilarious but great!
    2. I love that Meredith and Kepner are best friends.
    3. I hope shy Bailey breaks out by the end of the episode
    4. Callie as cardio was just WEIRD!!!!
    5. Callie and Owen were interesting… I dont dislike them together but I dont really care that they are together.
    6. I love having Addison back but I also dont think that the baby is Derek’s child
    7. Love Ellis and Richard together but was very sad at the beginning with Adele and Richard in the really world.
    8. BEST SCENE WAS THE MER/DER SCENE!!!!!! I loved it!

I hope that by the end of the episode the characters that we know and love will come out in true form! CANT WAIT

18. Denise says:

If you remember, Addison aborted Mark’s baby prior to her coming to Seattle. What if this is the baby she’s expecting? I’m looking forward to this episode… even more so now!

• Casey says:

Well, since this is set in present day and not back in Season 2, that seems highly unlikely … Plus. Meredith being happy has absolutely no affect on Addison aborting Mark’s baby. That still happened.

19. Auds says:

That was SO MUCH BETTER than everything else we’ve been seeing the last couple seasons! I love Ellis & Richard together! Too bad this can’t be the real show!

20. GG says:

That was a great opening mostly Meredith with Zola.
    I love Meredith with a mom who’s there for her and Richard as her father.
    Alex and Meredith are awkward.
    I like April here, but Mer saying you’re my person. ehh
    Addison and Derek together blecchhh. He looks like he wants to jump of a bridge, even the thought that he’s going to be a father won’t make him excited, he’s so miserable. Also I don’t think it’s his baby at all. If Addison is anything like the real GA there’s more chances. I wonder if Mark is in this..
    I LOVE LOVE the MerDer near the elevators. Even in AU they can’t stay away from them lol. Hopefully Mer will save him at the end.

21. Tee says:

I don’t watch Grey’s much these days but really looking forward to this! The beginning looks great so far.

22. Ana says:

I loved everything about it. I love seeing Ellis and Richard together. I think they should have never killed her off. In the beginning sequence Adele made me so sad and at the end Lexie actually made me tear up a bit. She’s unwanted. Even Owen couldn’t bother with her. I am liking Mer and Alex together! Derek is.just as much of a jerk on this AU as in real GA. Loved seeing Addison. She had Callie make the best friends! Loved the tension between Arizona and Callie. Can’t wait to see how that plays out. This Callie different. More subdued and refined. Like real Callie better. Bailey! Omg! The minnow returns. Richard never got to mentor her and she is so mousy. I like her better as the Nazi. Lol. Cristina is scary! And Alex as a good guy is a win for me. Like the reality of GA better but it is so fun to see how different things could be. Shonda and the writers are doing a phenomenal job this season. And the actors are really putting out their best performances. This is outstanding!! The only thing I hate about Greys is how freaking addictive it is.

23. Mike says:

“This guy uh Teddy” HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

24. Paige says:

Didn’t Addison get pregnant by Mark? Maybe it’s his??

25. ggny says:

that scene had to be weird for Justin and Ellen to do since they have been pretty much brother and sister for 7 years

26. Daniel says:

there’s just one thing i dont get…. if Seattle Grace never merged with Mercy West, what the hell are Kepner, Charles and Jackson doing there??

• Rachelle says:

They do merge. Ellis says that she plans on merging Seattle Pres with Seattle Grace like they did with Mercy West.

• aries.snake says:

It seems more like a hostile takeover than a merger…not really sure why that would be a good idea, though, logistically. Don’t you want hospitals in a number of locations in a large city so that no matter where you are, there’s one reasonably close?

• Ro says:

For better or worse, hospitals are businesses. They depend on a bottom line, just like other businesses. If absorbing a hospital means more staff (more patients) more or better equipment and most importantly more money, they merge. UW medical in Seattle actually has taken over a number of hospitals over the years including Harborview and Northwest Hospital.

27. 1mars says:

This looks amazing, not normally a GA watcher, conflicts with Bones but will be here on Thursday night. Looks totally fun, reverse personalities and roles, what a great concept. Count me in.

28. Leigh says:

I haven’t looked forward to a GREY’S episode this much in years. What fun it must’ve been for all involved and it looks like it’ll be fun for fans, too.

29. ky says:

30. natalia says:

Of course I prefer the real, the fake looks very fake, I prefer the real, my opinion,sorry.

31. Alicia L. says:

Anyone thinks its weird that Meredith lives with Ellis and Richard? She like 40 years old!

• madhatter360 says:

I think she’d be close to 30, than 40 (though the actress is 40), but that being said, I don’t think it’s unreasonable to think that happy shiny Meredith would want to live rent free in a house right near her place of work with her parents/bosses/excellent surgeons.

32. a says:

“Jackson, don’t feed the animals” AHAHAHAHAHAHA

33. Kate says:

LOVE the fact they’re using music from the first volume!!

34. Guy says:

Loved every minute of it and can’t wait to see the rest of it.

35. SJS says:

I dislike to be spoiled so I’ll wait and watch this Thursday. Have to laugh though even though have not seen it….. just skimmed through the comments. Derek is miserable. Great! McDreamy has been dead for quite a while. This episode is shamda on crack! Oh wait……………that is now!

36. Sparky says:

Technically that was only 9 and half mins…cheez

37. Bee says:

I enjoy that Ellis not having Alzheimer’s and leaving her husband for Richard has somehow made Alex have poorer eyesight.

• Leah says:

Ha! Maybe Alex is a hipster and they are hipser glasses.

I’m guessing Mark will show up and claim Addison’s baby as his, which Derek already suspects. By the end of the episode, Meredith and Derek will be heading towards each other romantically after Meredith discovers that Alex has been consistently cheating on her with… Olivia.

38. Captain says:

I hope it’s an actual alternate reality episode and not one of those “characters start out completely different and by the end of the episode they all end up exactly where they are in real life to show that everything happens for a reason” episodes

39. Priyam says:

Having George doesn’t make sense. With Ellis as the chief, George would have found it hard to get in, considering he’d just made the cut, probably because Chief Webber allowed it in the actual world. Ellis Grey-Webber expects greatness, and wouldn’t have allowed George. As a result, Izzie who would have showed up, wouldn’t have found any support, considering she was George’s BFF and there was no George. Mer wouldn’t have had room mates. Mer dated Alex, so she had no actual support. She would have been out by the end of first year. And Preston Burke was brought in by Chief Webber, so in the alt world, Eliis wouldn’t have brought him in.

40. Vickie says:

I looooove this show!!! Haven’t missed an episode ever!!! My favorite is Meredith but I really like all the characters, some more some less. Congrats to the actors and the writers for making us cry, laugh and think about…what if! As for this episode, I’m looking forward to watching it…I think it will be ‘fun’ !!! :)

41. Jaime says:

Oh my god. What happened to Lexie? D:

42. Mariana says:

Where is Mark???? Did he stayed in NY?

43. Kelly says:

Lexie is my favorite character. Chyler rocks. Looking forward to her parts of this episode and Cristina’s.

44. em says:

can i just say i was thrilled to hear rilo kiley at the beginning just like the pilot??

45. Risa says:

I cannot be the only one who noticed the reference to Teddy, right!? I think Owen & Teddy are probably having an affair after the comment Callie made about how “this guy Teddy seems to be helping him through it” although she did say he’s skyping with his army buddies so maybe it’s not a complete affair yet if she’s still in Iraq.

46. cyclone says:

i am really looking forward to this episode but i fear that the writers took liberties to make sure everyone (most everyone) is represented in the episode…because i doubt some changes would have happened even if Meredith was bright and shiny instead of dark and twisty.
    i mean how would Meredith being Bright and Shiny :
    1-change Callie’s specialty?
    2-Still bring Avery, Kepner, and Charles to Seattle Grace when it was Richards poor leadership that merged the 2 hospitals (and it seems it is still only SG and not SGMW)
    3-turn Alex super geeky…he was a douchebag in the beginning
    4-make Derek an unmotivated douchbag…i mean he came to Seattle leaving Addision in NY because he still walked in on Addy cheating on him in NY
    now i do love some of the changes i am seeing:
    1-the badass theme music that played when Cristina walked in
    2-Callie’s kid Allegra blowing on the window (she’s adorable)
    3-Ellis being in charge

• Aelis says:

This is the Butterfly Effect. A small change at one place can result in large differences to a later state. This Alt reality isn’t THE absolute alt reality but only one of the many possible realities that could have existed. The small change here is : Ellis Grey never got sick. So yes, the writers may have taken liberties for this Alt reality but only because they were allowed to do so. It like still having writing rules but different ones for this episode, that’s gonna be fun.

I think that the funniest part in this will be to find an explanation (one of many) for all the different things we’ll see.

I do wonder why Callie’s specialty is Cardio, but I’m sure we’ll figure out on thursday the same way as Callie will figure out that teddy isn’t a guy ;)

Shonda Rhimes said that when they decided to write an alt reality episode, the only way for this to work was to change the only thing from which it all began : Meredith’s mother. From there, I’m sure the writers made good and logic choices.

47. airhead says:

so. weird…

48. iLike2watch says:

I think I could watch more than one episode of this alt reality. Not a whole season, but there’s definitely some fun to be had here.

49. cyclone says:

you know when i first looked at this something seemed off (specifically with AZ) and i couldn’t figure out what it was then now i think i figured it out…the surgeons are not in scrubs. even with staff meetings they are usually always in scrubs but here they are all dressed up (maybe part of the Ellis regime) i mean have we ever, EVER seen AZ dressed in a skirt inside the hospital?

50. Jazzy says:

If there were going to put Meredith with someone different than Derek, I was hoping for Mark!I always like those two together.