Pilot Scoop: NBC Picks Up Ryan Murphy's Normal Family Comedy

Things are getting unusually Normal for Ryan Murphy, the man behind some of today’s more outlandish TV fare.

NBC on Friday ordered a family comedy pilot from the American Horror Story executive producer and his Glee cohort Ali Adler.

The potential series, titled The New Normal, is a single-camera sitcom about a blended family made up of a gay couple and the surrogate helping them have a baby of their own.

As previously reported, Book of Mormon star Andrew Rannells has already been tapped to play one of the series’ three leads.

TAGS: , ,
GET MORE: Pilots

1. annie says:

Rachel’s dads.

2. Sally says:

IS THIS NOT EXACTLY LIKE MODERN FAMILY?! LMAO. It’s called “The New Normal, is a single-camera sitcom about a blended family made up of a gay couple and the surrogate helping them have a baby of their own.” …. Nuff said. SMDH

• BRETT says:

No, it’s not. I read your description and still no, it is not MODERN FAMILY. They didn’t invent that style of filming, nor does one show being filmed that way make it so that no other shows are allowed to do the same. Where would it end?

3. nora says:

so instead of writing decent stuff for glee he just makes another show?

4. Not a scoop says:

A ‘scoop’, as defined by Dictionary.com: 18. to get the better of (other publications, newscasters, etc.) by obtaining and publishing or broadcasting a news item, report, or story first

This was reported by Deadline.com almost an hour before you posted it. Stop stealing news coverage and pretending it’s your own.

Pathetic.

5. Brian says:

Terrible comment.

6. Sam says:

This man needs to go away now, please. Between making mediocre horror shows and mediocre musicals, how will he have time to make mediocre comedy?

7. lyn says:

I am interested…looking forward to it.

8. R.T. says:

As an NBC comedy purist, I wish this show a quick and peaceful death or at least a position on Wednesdays where it can’t mess with the already-declining state of things on ‘Comedy Night Done Right’. The DOA Dwight spinoff from The Office (which has its days numbered anyway) makes me nervous about NBC as it is. I can only ask for more shows with the quality and ambition of Community, Parks and Rec, 30 Rock, Scrubs, Seinfeld, Friends, and the like. Here’s to hoping the rest of the coming TV season brings more quality comedies and maybe some better ratings to my favorite network.
    In addition, although I abhor Murphy’s writing and also basically his entire career, I’m not completely cynical about this show because of the following reasons:
    1. Andrew Rannells
    2. That was the whole list

9. Hershon says:

Oh yeah this will do real good in the ratings, not. Destined for failure. There probably will be less than 500 Male Heterosexual viewers.

• Brian says:

Yeah… Because no male heterosexual viewers watch “Modern Family”. Not all straight men are homophobic, buddy.

Having said that, I bet it will be good for 1 season and then crap like everything else Ryan Murphy does on television.

10. Amy says:

NBC used to be quality tv. Now with Community on hiatus and shows like Whitney and Are You There Chelsea? (whose ratings by the way are dropping steadily) on the air, NBC is trying to get viewers by showing crap. It’s still no helping though

11. S. from A. says:

I am far too excited about rannells, but why ryan murphy… why…

12. Bad Breaker says:

No matter what it is, I just have one request: please NO Laugh track. I find them so annoying that I usually won’t watch a show that has one. Producers, trust me, if it’s funny I’ll laugh without the additional “help”.

13. jes says:

andrew rannells just signed on for another year with book of mormon. can he do both? is this show going to film in nyc? or doesn’t it start until 2013?