Exclusive

Glee Exclusive: Matt Bomer to Guest Star as Blaine's [Spoiler Alert]!

Apparently, pretty runs in Blaine’s family: White Collar hunk Matt Bomer has closed a deal to guest-star in an April episode of Glee as the Warbler’s older brother, TVLine has learned exclusively.

This is big for a number of reasons. Among them:
 Since this will be the first time we meet any of the other Andersons, we might finally learn a bit about Blaine’s apparently gorgeous kin.

Glee First Look: Darren Criss Channels Michael Jackson!

This will also be the first time a lot of people will get to hear Bomer sing — because yes, natch, his character will get in on his sib’s musical number. (Oh, and lest you doubt his pipes, check out this clip below from the 2010 Kennedy Center Honors.)

It seems the soap grad is something of a new muse for Glee creator Ryan Murphy: He’s also just cast Bomer in his in-the-works film adaptation of Larry Kramer’s play, The Normal Heart.

Your thoughts? Do you see the family resemblance? What song do you hope Bomer will perform with Darren Criss?

Loading video...

For Instantaneous Glee Scoop/Spoilers Follow Ausiello on Twitter via @MichaelAusiello

TAGS: , , ,
GET MORE: Casting News, Exclusive, Scoop

1. Sarah says:

I never watch glee but i’ll make a exception to see the yummy Matt Bommer! :)

2. Evelyn says:

Ew. More Blaine screentime.
    Glee is becoming “The Blaine Show”
    He sings too much and has too much screentime. They should pay more attention to other characters.
    But the writers obviously aren’t going to do that seeing as all they care about is the money that Darren is bringing because of all his insane fangirls.

• anon says:

Maybe you should avoid using ableist slurs like “insane” when making your complaints.

Glee is not becoming the Blaine show. Yes, he has had quite a few solos, but overall Rachel and Santana have both sung more than him (and Puck is pretty much tied with him). Many characters have more screen time than Blaine, including Rachel, Finn, Santana, Kurt, Puck, Quinn and Will. Blaine needs development and the best way to give him some is to give him back story and explore his personal life, including his family.

Blaine/Darren gets focus because Darren Criss is talented (singing, dancing, acting) and because Blaine is a popular character among the general audience, as his relationship with Kurt.

Please stop protesting screen time given to a queer person of color. If anything, the focus has drastically shifted to Finchel this season, definitely more than in season 2.

3. Katie says:

Firstly, I’m super-excited about the casting news. I couldn’t care less about Blaine’s character, but I’ve heard nothing but good things about Matt Bomer and his voice, I cannot wait to see him on Glee!
    Okay. So I keep seeing all the stans whining about why members of the fandom don’t like Blaine. Well, I definitely only speak for myself, but my issue with Blaine is this: He’s perfect. Literally. And every single other character has glaring flaws.
    Finn: naive.
    Brit: Same thing.
    Santana’s a bitch.
    Becky too, sorta. (even though, of course, her bitchiness is awesome)
    Quinn: Almost emotionally unstable (trying to get Kurt and Rachel suspended in NY, acting insane when trying to take posession of her kid, just for a couple of examples).
    Rachel: Obsessive.
    Puck: Thinks with his dick.
    Artie: When pushed, acts like an asshole (calling Brittany stupid) and he has a little attitude.
    Kurt: Defensive and pushy.
    Tina and Mike I didn’t include because they’re not even really main characters.
    But Blaine doesn’t have one. Fault. Or, rather, that’s the way the directors and writers make it seem. Like, they gloss over what I consider to be HUGE issues with his character. When Kurt was humiliated in front of the entire school in Prom Queen and he ran out of the room crying, Blaine followed him and didn’t say one supportive thing. Nothing. He sat on the floor while Kurt sobbed and when Kurt finished crying he led him back into the room. In First Time he convinced Kurt to have sex because Artie confronted him about his virginity. It didn’t come around, it didn’t begin out of love, or a desire to connect with Kurt emotionally. It was basically, “Artie thinks I’m a child because I haven’t had sex. So let’s do this.” Knowing that Kurt wasn’t really wild about Sebastian, Blaine took Kurt to the bar anyway, and then danced with Sebastian!!! And then he continued grabbing at Kurt after Kurt told him no. Repeatedly. But the show and Klainers just gloss over what I consider to be deal-breaking flaws and see Blaine as God’s gift to men (and women).
    And to the chick who was talking about Kurt and Blaine’s epic love story, about how Kurt and Blaine became friends, and then Kurt fell in love and blah blah blah. Did you actually see last season? They did not become friends first, and slowly Kurt’s feelings began to build. No. Kurt fell for Blaine at first sight. He knew absolutely nothing about him except that he could sing, and yet he practically hurled his heart at Blaine. Who, btw, still didn’t want Kurt, even after he found out how Kurt felt. He told him no (gently, because, of course, he’s that perfect), and then changed his mind because he heard Kurt sing. And then it’s like six episodes later that he tells Kurt he loves him? Um, hello?!
    Blaine. He just doesn’t seem real. His character has absolutely no depth. (hence the so approprate nickname “Bland”)They had the possibility of something, when he talked about what happened to him and that kid he was going to take to the Sadie Hawkins dance, but once again they just glossed right over it, and did nothing with it. Which, honestly, is a shame. And don’t get me wrong. I do not, in any way, blame Darren Criss for this. I think he does the best with what he’s given, and has occassionally taken me by surprise. This is a really tiny example, but in this year’s Christmas episode, when Sue had him, Kurt, and Artie in her office, Darren Criss had some seriously funny facial expressions. And that’s when I decided that it’s not the actor’s fault that his character sucks. He does what he can with what he’s given. Maybe it’ll get better. Who knows? In the mean time, sorry Blaine. And Klaine.
    So. Sorry about the novel. But I really wanted to provide a legitmate explaination as to why I can’t support Klaine, as it’s a reason that hasn’t really been explained yet.

• Mrs Hagberg says:

Maybe Blaine’s flaw is that he doesn’t know what other people are feeling, and is a huge tit a lot of the time. With random issues with bottling anger.

Although the show has never really made any of this clear. They’re using him like a prop, or a stumbling block for whatever plot they’ve concocted for any one particular episode.

It’s a shame. Blaine had so much potential. :(

• Finnhud says:

Glee as a whole has so much squandered potential. Sigh.

I had certain expectations of Blaine when he was introduced. Season 3 has kinda thrown me for a loop. lol.

• Liza says:

^ I agree with Katie.

• cindy says:

In which case, couldn’t it be a good thing that he has a brother? Because that probably means character development?

I can’t decide if Blaine is the most interesting character or the least. He’s pretty bland most of the time, but every now and then he has the weirdest little inconsistencies that could either be because he’s incredibly interesting or because the writers aren’t very good.

• Tiller says:

I just wanna say i agree for the most part but they did put one small piece of back story for blaine when he first came in and how he to was bullied when he outed himself and instead of fighting like he tells kurt to he ran away to the Warblers…

• bree says:

Look at First Time again Blaine didn’t drag Kurt anywhere. Kurt was the one that decided they had to go to the bar in order to prove a point to Sebastian even though he knows that Blaine can’t handle his liquor. And rather then stand by Blaine and make sure he didn’t drink where was Kurt? At the bar talking to Karofsky and only went to dance with Blaine to once again prove a point to Sebastian. The entire fiasco at Scandals would have been avoided if Kurt had followed Blaine’s lead and said no to going out.

• anon says:

Blaine’s flaws: holds himself to a too-high standard of deportment and behavior and beats himself up for failing to maintain it, too much conflict-avoidance (which ends up blowing up eventually), shies away from the dark parts of his life (tries not to make a big deal about being gay-bashed for example) instead of dealing with them. I’d say his biggest flaw is that when he has no idea what to do, he walks away from a problem/situation. His biggest struggle is negotiating how much control he has/needs/should take in any given situation. And hey look, he sang a song called “Control”. Interesting.

Blaine gave Kurt what he needed in PQ: space, and the right to decide for himself what to do. He stepped up and asked Kurt to dance when he truly needed him to take action.

After Artie virgin-shamed Rachel and Blaine, there were two contrasting scenes: Rachel clearly agreeing to go to Finn’s house to have sex because of the play, and Blaine reassuring Kurt that they could go slow and he just wanted Kurt to be comfortable. Clearly, he did not have sex with Kurt because of the play. (both couples had sex after opening night, btw, so neither did Rachel have sex with Finn because of the play; they made that perfectly clear).

Actually, Blaine declined the invitation to Scandals and Kurt was the one who insisted on going, since he was having a little pissing match with Sebastian.

He did not continue “grabbing” at Kurt after Kurt said “no.” He actually stopped trying to kiss Kurt (what Kurt was saying no to), and rested his hand on his arm and talked to him. He made no efforts to force Kurt into anything or to prevent him from leaving the car. Get your facts straight.

Kurt fell in “infatuation at first sight.” Yes, he had feelings for Blaine, but they were not love. After Blaine fell off his pedestal in SLS and BIOTA, Kurt was content to remain his friend, while having true feelings for who Blaine actually was, instead of this idol he had previously worshipped. He confessed (sort of) to Blaine in SLS, who was clearly not ready for a relationship and didn’t want to hurt Kurt. He was concerned about Kurt and their friendship, and so didn’t jump into anything. That was awesome! When he realized the depth of his romantic feelings and was ready to be with Kurt, he told him right away in Original Song. He didn’t do this because he heard Kurt sing (he had already heard Kurt sing previously), but because the courage with which Kurt sang Blackbird, the way he placed himself, strong, proud, but raw and vulnerable in that room of Warblers, made something click in Blaine’s head, and he then had the courage to be just as vulnerable with Kurt.

They do a lousy job with a lot of characterization on this show. Just look at Kurt in Michael. What was that?
      Blaine obviously HAS depth, even if we’ve only seen hints of it. They do need to start exploring his character more, hence why the brother is a good move.

What *I* don’t get is how haters can complain that he’s getting too much screentime and storylines and they want him to go away and simultaneously say he has no depth or backstory or development. Which is it, people?

4. Julia says:

I totally agree with Marco. But also the thing that annoys me about the “love triangle” is that everytime Sebastian is talking I have to listen to things like Blaine being “sex on a sitck” “super hot” and the worst: “too good for Kurt”.

5. cindy says:

As much as I love Matt Bomer, which is a lot, and as much as I want Blaine to have a personality, which is slightly less, but still a fair amount, I’m not into this, unless Matt’s character’s Blaine’s half-brother. Just because Darren Criss can pass for white doesn’t mean he is.

6. Lily says:

@Katie : In the hallways scene in Prom Queen, Blaine said almost nothing to Kurt because Chris Colfer who plays Kurt has asked the writers to change the scene… In the original scenariom Blaine was the one who encouraged Kurt to take the stage anyway despite the humiliation…

7. Lily says:

@Cindy : Blaine is a junior, they can always cast an Asian mother for him in Season 4.

• cindy says:

The problem still remains, unless Matt’s his half-brother. You don’t really have full blood siblings that are different races.

• Bree says:

Not completely true, I had a classmate who was half philappino (sp?) and half black she looked black but her sister looked philappino. Genetics are a strange, strange thing.

8. Alois says:

Also, I want to know why Blaine’s wardrobe changed from muted and kinda classy in season 2 to freaking technicoloured and loud in season 3…

Guess which one I prefer…

• Alois says:

Hint.

I will commit if I a pink bowtie paired with green suspenders ever again.

whhhyyy do you hate me, Glee wardrobe department? And if you’re going to go schitzophrenic with his sense of style, at least explain what changed for him in between S2 and S3. What is he more liberated now? write it in.

But liberated or no, he wears high waters with no socks and boat shoes. And doesn’t get a slushy in the face at every corner like he should. UGH kill me.

• Alois says:

~ Yours sincerely, a confused Blaine fan.

• anon says:

If you pay attention to the latest fashion trends, Blaine is one of the most fashionable characters on the show. It may not be to your taste, but that is what’s in (or coming in) for men’s fashions.

And in any case, his wardrobe has evened out I think, and I like a lot of the things he wears. He has even re-worn his BIOTA cardigan and the red shirt from the Breadstix scene in PQ.

But death to that pink bow tie outfit from IAU. Never again.

PS, still aching for him to get slushied now that he has a scratched cornea and needs surgery? ;)

9. Anna says:

This is awesome! Because I hope to one day get be cast as the part of Blaine’s sister and so then I could have two majorly hot brothers! Yay! Lol! :)

10. Kody says:

As long as he doesn’t wear a bow tie i’m good with it. I have always hated them. Blaine would be better off without one.

11. Samira says:

Reading some of yalls comments kinda makes me think:
    How can one possibly get so upset about/obsessed with a TV SHOW and its carackters??? Some of you people really need therapy or some other kind of help…

12. Lisa says:

Darren Criss is half-Filipino. The least they could have done was cast a half-Filipino actor as his brother to acknowledge his Asian side.

13. Joanne says:

LOVE Blaine and Darren. Hate his rolled up ( I got water in my basement) look. Thought he was more the cool gay guy as opposed to how they dress him. But LOVE his voice!!!! My singing and screen time would be awesome!!!!

14. AJ says:

Why are they wasting more time on Darren Criss who has shown routinely that he cannot act. Blaine is such a useless character.

15. HoldOn2Smallville says:

Crap!!! will have to watch just for Matt Bomer.

16. Allie says:

Love how this turned into a huge argument over whether Blaine is interesting or not.
    But anyways pretty excited, love Matt Bomer. He’s a good choice for Blaine’s brother.

17. Tatiana Goodman says:

WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
    THANK YOU!!! WOW MATT BOMER AS BLAINE’S BRO I PRACTICALLY DIED WHEN I SAW THIS ARTICLE ON TWITTER. COM THIS IS THE BEST NEWS EVER!!!!! WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
    :-)

18. Tracey says:

U have a remote,use it!

19. Lily says:

Guys, who care who gets screen time? Just be quiet and watch the show and let what happens happens. If they break up Klaine, be pissed, but LET IT GO. It’s just a show. They are not real people. Just characters. In a show.

And besides, it’s Darren Freaking Criss. What could be better?

20. Laura says:

I don’t think I’ve even heard of this guy before but I gotta say, hes pretty cute and there is a resemblance. I don’t know what ppl are talking about, sure maybe Blaine has had quite a few songs on glee, but we don’t really know anything about him except he use to be a Warbler and he’s gay and I think that’s pretty much just about it. We know a lot about most of the other characters: Rachel, Finn, Kurt, Quinn, Santanna, Will, Emma, and even Sue, and quite a bit about Artie, Tina, Puck, and Mercedes, which they could maybe extend on a bit. And we also know quite a bit about Sam too. I think they should def do more on Blaine and also Brittany and Rory cuz Rory has got hardly even any lines or songs on the show! But yeah, looking forward to meeting Blaine’s older brother and learning more about his family and himself and everything! :D

21. rehabber says:

I don’t watch Glee, but love Matt and he did sing on White Collar one time and blew me away.

22. Gauri says:

He should sing love is a many splendoured thing like he did for white collar. Love him :)

23. Mia says:

You can’t hate Blaine! He’s gotten almost no screen time besides songs! He seriously gets the least amount of screen time of all the characters. They need to give him a chance to prove himself, Darren Criss is an amazing actor!

24. Tiller says:

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I lov Matt Bomer i’m a huge die hard fan of white collar and I love gLee this has just made my life so freaking happy i CAN’T wait for this episode to come… I can’t believe this KYAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!

25. Mia says:

PLEASE let this mean Blaine gets a backstory!! All we know is that he transferred to Dalton because of bullying and he doesn’t have a good relationship with his father, who wanted to turn him straight. There’s obviously a story there and they need to tell it to us!

26. sophie says:

I AGREE! Blaine gets way to many solos just like Rachel. It is time for someone else. But it would be cool though if blaine had a brother but it is kinda weird because they have never mentioned anything about a brother and then all of a sudden his brother walks through the doors.

27. Josie says:

Im soo happy!! Blaine has been my favorite character since the first time he was on glee! He deserves a lot more screen time and I can’t wait for it!!

28. Julia says:

Love the idea of Matt Bomer on Glee!! He actually looks quite like Darren and I can’t wait to see some Andersons!!

29. stephanie says:

Why are there so many angry comments flying around..everyone can be entitled to their own opinions.. An if u dislike glee or where the producers are taking it then stop watching.. Personally I love matt bomer an can’t wait to see the episode, an I think blaine is incredibly sexy an talented..

30. brenda says:

Everything and everybody on Glee are brilliant :-)

31. kayla says:

I think its great. I love Blaine and am very excited to see his family ;)… seriously people stop trying to make yourself feel better by putting others down. Look in the mirror and figure out what’s wrong with you first!

32. Jeaners says:

I love Blaine and I think he’s wonderful for Kurt. Every single episode that had anything to do with what was going on in Kurt’s personal life made me bawl my eyes out until he got with Blaine. The only thing I wish for Blaine is that they PLEASE PLEASE change that atrocious hairstyle and let Kurt give him a big fat makeover. THE BOWTIES AND CARDIGANS HAVE TO GO!!!!

33. Molly says:

I think people are too quick to scapegoat Darren Criss for the decline of the show when the fault is 100% on poor writing…

34. iyank says:

that’s not so bad, keep goin’ glee

35. whitney says:

No way. Matt was ill AND still sound so AMAZING? I can’t wait to hear this handsome hunk sing on GLEE. Even his speaking voice is mesmerizing.

36. maria says:

YES! I love Matt Bomer! I’m so excited!! :)

37. y u no says:

Why does Glee keep bringing new charecters on the show when they could have potential storylines from the already existing charecters? I’d much rather see how Dave Karofsky’s doing than have another forced charecter.

• ashley says:

Blaine’s brother and Karofsky are both SIDE characters. Blaine is a MAIN character. The difference in bringing the first two on the show is this (based on what you’re proposing: Brother Anderson will most likely used, as a SIDE character, to develop Blaine, a MAIN character, which is a good decision on the writers’ parts. Karofsky coming back to develop a SIDE character would be a waste of screen time, since it would not be in service to the development of the main characters. Shoe-horning in a Karofsky story line would be more forced that bringing in a main character’s relative to help tell their story.

38. runner26 says:

Could they sing “Anything You Can DomI Can Do Better?”

39. Marie says:

What happened to the Irish guy who won that contest? And the others who were supposed to appear on the show? I really enjoyed seeing Irish the couple times you let him sing..please give some of Blaines songs to him..

40. Chant says:

Hmmm… the whole point of Blaine having so much screen/song time was the impetuous for the split of the club – in other words it was a purposeful dramatic device. Now that the two clubs have rejoined this may change.

I do have to say that I’m looking forward to seeing Bomer on the show. I don’t think they could have chosen anyone better for the role. It all sounds like a ticket to more fun and great musical numbers – my true reason for watching the show in the first place.

41. Cass says:

Couldn’t stomach GLEE after the first season (the musical numbers were great; the rest of it wasn’t). However, I’ll tune in for Matt Bomer. He’s got a lovely voice and tons of charisma and charm.

42. anon says:

I love Blaine and am sososososo excited about having Matt Bomer on.
    The problem with Blaine is that the character wasn’t originally written as a main character; he was a sounding board for Kurt. So when Rachel started murdering everything with her Finn-obsession, the writers scrambled for anything to try and lit upon Blaine. Except so far they’ve done a pretty crappy job of making him a round character (ie more than the “dapper other gay”). Backstory, real plot, that’s what will save Blaine (the boxing thing was rather brilliant). Of course, if the writers want to continue being lazy charaterizers, they can keep relying on Darren’s voice. And his hair. Un-gel the hair. BRING LEGIT HARRY FREAKIN POTTER TO GLEE!

• Bubby says:

YES. UNLEASH THE CURLS. I hate the gel so much it makes me physically ill. At least that hairstyle looked classy with his dalton uniform. Now with all the bowties and other crap, its weird.
      And the boxing thing was so brilliant. It was an amazing scene. And they really can take that story line further. Anything to stop making Blaine just a singing dancing puppet for new directions with no real feelings of his own except his love for Kurt.
      DARREN AND MATT BOMER. I AM OFFICIALLY GOING TO DIE THIS EPISODE.
      It would be funny if they ungelled Blaine’s hair because Matt’s character used all of it up haha

43. anon says:

I love Matt Bomer and have heard him sing on a White Collar Blooper.

However, I’m just a tad curious about the storyline. I thought the older brother storyline was to be Pucks. Even Chord Overstreet, in his interview with Ryan Seacrest, mentioned that Pittbull was to play Pucks older brother…..just wondering what happened to that???

44. Slinky says:

^THIS

Lmao, a thousand times, this.

45. Christy says:

PEOPLE STOP HATING AND READ THE FREAKING ARTICLE!!!

46. Starry says:

I watched an episode of Glee just to get to see who this Blaine character is. I just don’t get the attraction, sorry. He is no way close to looking like Matt Bomer. Matt is definitely more aesthetically pleasing, and has a more classical bone structure…have you seen that jawline? Not to mention his beautiful intoxicating saphire blue eyes. Matt is also a more polished mature actor, so he will bring a little class to his character. Put the two of them side by side and Matt is in a league all on his own. But I will watch the episode just because Matt will make the show awesome with just his mere presence. Maybe he will give a few style tips to his little brother on looking dapper & sleek, and get him to lose all that hair gel and silly sweaters.

47. Rick says:

Awesome casting choice. Bomer has the same kind of confident charisma Criss’ Blaine has, and he has a good voice to boot!

48. Tiffany says:

I prefer Blaine to Kurt so it doesn’t bother me to be meeting more of his family.

49. klainer says:

i can see the family resembalance,,,THEY ARE BOTH fiT! lol

50. klaine says:

All the hate is from Finchlle shippers, they aren’t satisfied having they’re ship as the main characters in the series now, no one else can be on camera EVER.