Exclusive

Glee Exclusive: Matt Bomer to Guest Star as Blaine's [Spoiler Alert]!

Apparently, pretty runs in Blaine’s family: White Collar hunk Matt Bomer has closed a deal to guest-star in an April episode of Glee as the Warbler’s older brother, TVLine has learned exclusively.

This is big for a number of reasons. Among them:
 Since this will be the first time we meet any of the other Andersons, we might finally learn a bit about Blaine’s apparently gorgeous kin.

Glee First Look: Darren Criss Channels Michael Jackson!

This will also be the first time a lot of people will get to hear Bomer sing — because yes, natch, his character will get in on his sib’s musical number. (Oh, and lest you doubt his pipes, check out this clip below from the 2010 Kennedy Center Honors.)

It seems the soap grad is something of a new muse for Glee creator Ryan Murphy: He’s also just cast Bomer in his in-the-works film adaptation of Larry Kramer’s play, The Normal Heart.

Your thoughts? Do you see the family resemblance? What song do you hope Bomer will perform with Darren Criss?

Loading video...

For Instantaneous Glee Scoop/Spoilers Follow Ausiello on Twitter via @MichaelAusiello

TAGS: , , ,
GET MORE: Casting News, Exclusive, Scoop

1. Ella says:

Um, I cannot express how EXCITED I am for this. ANYTHING Matt Bomer is amazing.

2. GOD BLESS says:

BLAINE/FAMILY=OTP. I think he’ll be perfect. OH MY GOSH. HDFGJDKJGHRD It’s not the Blaine show, it’s still Glee, they’re just focusing on him for a part of an episode. They’ve focused on Sam before? Kurt? Finn? What’s the difference? I can’t wait, oh my gosh.

3. Captain says:

That is one good looking family

4. Dale Sullivan says:

Have never seen “Glee”, but I’ll watch to see Matt Bomer!Beautiful AND talented! z\*-)

• unguibus says:

Yeah, same here. I would love to see Matty B. walk around shirtless while singing. Mmmmm…..

• Saphire says:

I also have never seen Glee, but you can bet Matt Bomer is going to sizzle up the screen. His amazing acting and screen presence alone will make the Blain haters not even notice Blain is there, trust me LOL! I find it very interesting that Glee fans are so passionate about their show, good for them! But let’s get the focus back to an amazing and talented hot actor making a guest appearance…forget about the dislike you might have for Blain or Darryn and give Bomer a warm welcome…he is a beautiful man inside and out,fans will love this guy! Enjoy the show, I know I will.

5. gorram says:

I think this will be interesting but, as much as I’ve loved Blaine, I am getting really tired of how completely clueless he is. This newest “Michael” promo just proves how dumb I think Blaine is turning out to be. He has a boyfriend yet continues to talk to the guy who’s done nothing but try to get in his pants. Then he tells him about their competition plans. What happened to the confident, astute Blaine from last year?

Love you Blaine, but you’re losing me and I’m starting to think Kurt can do better.

• Jane says:

^ It’s because Kurt can do better! He had to chase after Mr. Bland ever since “Never Been Kissed” while noone ever chased after him and now with that uncreative love triangle it’s the same.

• gorram says:

Klaine had a lot of potential, but I think it’s been squandered.

• anon says:

The writing overall has been terrible this season. What was that whole Puck/Quinn/Shelby/Beth mess? Terrible for all characters involved. And Finn taking over Santana’s coming out story line. Ridiculously offensive. Never mind the writers continuously kicking Kurt in the face and making him lie down and take it instead of standing up and fighting like he normally would.

Klaine has been underutilized this season. The only focus their relationship has had was in TFT, and it was amazing. The fact is, the writers are ignoring their most compelling and interesting couples, which just so happen to be the two queer couples (Brittany and Santana haven’t had a conversation for the past three episodes, and Britt was completely shut out of Santana’s coming out story in favor of FINN. Not to mention they still haven’t kissed).

The problem doesn’t lie with Klaine, but with the writing overall, particularly the baby drama and the current fixation on Finchel.

• Marco says:

Amazing? AMAZING? TFT made a Kurt/Dave pairing seem HEALTHIER than Klaine! Blaine had sex with Kurt FOR A PLAY, completely ignored how hurt Kurt was feeling about the Sebastian thing, ignores him at Scandals, becomes an almost rapist when drunk (WTF? Blaine wasn’t such a nasty drunk in BIOTA!), and when Kurt apologizes for everything, he decides ‘I was going to apologize, but you know what? It IS your fault.’ Were I a Klaine shipper, I’d ignore that episode.

• Alois says:

Lol I have many bones to pick with the man who was responsible for writing this episode. lol.

They ruin everything, don’t they?

• Julia says:

I totally agree with Marco. But also the thing that annoys me about the “love triangle” is that everytime Sebastian is talking I have to listen to things like Blaine being “sex on a sitck” “super hot” and the worst: “too good for Kurt”.

• re: Marco says:

Blaine did not have sex with Kurt because of a play. The scene after Artie’s virgin-shaming established that Blaine was fine with going slow, and just wanted Kurt to be comfortable (when they were talking in Blaine’s bedroom).

Blaine addressed Kurt’s insecurities regarding Sebastian in the auditorium and told him that Sebastian meant nothing to him.

Blaine did not ignore Kurt at Scandals. He was heart-eying him from the dance floor until Kurt got up to join him. He barely seemed aware of Sebastian’s presence, especially after he started dancing with Kurt.

Blaine did not try to rape Kurt; he was horny and stupid and hurt Kurt’s feelings by suggesting drunken sex in a car (Kurt is a romantic). He didn’t try to force himself on Kurt or stop him when he wanted to get up off Blaine’s lap and leave.

Er what? Blaine apologized, straight up. “I was drunk, and I’m sorry.” No excuses, no strings attached. Then Kurt said. “I’m sorry too(…) I guess I’m just a silly romantic.” And Blaine said, “It’s not silly.” Which effectively dismissed Kurt’s apology as unnecessary. Context is your friend, Marco :)

Funny you bring up BIOTA, because Kurt said Blaine kissing Rachel was worse than what happened in the car. Gee, seems like he feels really violated and scared of Blaine! Or not. Context is your friend :)!

I AM a Klaine shipper, and I wouldn’t ignore that episode for the life of me. Not only is it well written, interesting, and strengthened Blaine and Kurt’s bond and love for each other, but it’s the only episode so far this season that has had them and their relationship as a central focus.

• anon says:

The thing about chasing is what it really is is relentlessly pursuing someone who isn’t interested in you, hoping they’ll break down and give in to your desires. Like Sebastian with Blaine: would you honestly want someone treating Kurt like that?

And Kurt did not “chase” Blaine (who is not bland). They became friends, Kurt fell in love, told Blaine about his feelings, and Blaine wasn’t ready for a relationship, and didn’t jump into one because he was afraid of ruining their friendship and hurting Kurt. Kurt waited patiently, content in remaining friends, until Blaine realized the depths of his feelings and went directly to Kurt to tell him how he felt and then they started dating. Now they’re in love, treat each other with respect and care, and actually have a natural, healthy relationship earned by communication, honesty, and feelings of deep love, affection, and attraction for one another.

I think it’s gross to frame relationships in terms of who “can do better” or who “deserves” whom. It’s creepy and objectifying and has no place in healthy relationship.

And it’s not a love triangle, since Blaine has no interest in Sebastian.

• Sonia says:

Well how about actually watching the episode before judging? :)

• anon says:

Blaine trusts the Warblers. They are his friends. The Warblers and ND had a friendly, fair competition last year. It stands to reason (in Blaine’s and indeed any nice person’s mind) that the same would happen this year. In Michael, we’ll see Blaine discovering just how manipulative and awful Sebastian is.

Blaine had ONE phone conversation about removing wine stains from a uniform (a uniform he values, keep in mind, as it represents the Warblers, his friends and a former safe space). Sebastian called HIM. Blaine is polite and likes to help people. It is not “dumb” that he had a phone conversation with Sebastian. Sebastian’s words “he couldn’t shut up about it” and Kurt’s reaction “How often do you talk?” could make someone who doesn’t really think about what they’re watching assume that Blaine and Sebastian have regular chit-chats, but that’s not actually what’s been stated as happening. We know Blaine is avoiding Sebastian online and that Sebastian phoned him for advice. That’s it. That’s not stupid.

Blaine doesn’t know how awful Sebastian is. Why? Oh, maybe because Kurt didn’t inform him of the conversation he had with the meerkat in HOTS. Don’t try to pin this all on Blaine; Kurt’s insecurities and Blaine’s tendency to be polite to a fault coupled with Sebastian’s pushiness and manipulation is what is making this an issue.

6. Scott says:

Okay haters, enough! The chance to hear two amazing voices sing together is never a waste. Matt and Darren, bring it on….

7. Ty says:

The resemblance is uncanny. Great casting, Mr. Murphy.

In response to the Blaine comments, Blaine really has not gotten much screen time overall. He’s sung a ton of songs, but he’s gotten very little character/plot-related lines. I would personally like to see less songs and more dialogue.

8. Steve says:

Someone NEEDS to call Jon Hamm and make him the father! Or Hugh Jackman… since he can dance and sing.

Ryan Murphy… please do this.

9. Wendy says:

Umm, didn’t they establish last season, through Rachel’s comment about having his children in BIOTA, that Blaine was Eurasian (as is Darren Criss)? I love Matt Bomer, but I don’t see any Asian there… maybe he’s a half-brother? Still, I’m definitely looking forward to more character development for Blaine.

10. Hawt says:

I hope there’s an incest storyline!

• Ella says:

People are not going there with the Andercest already are they? lol. I thought dealing with Supernatural fans would be the extent of that for me. /cackling.

11. Siobhan says:

OMG!!!! I’d love Matt singing “Sway” , hot song for a very hot guy <3

• Sandra says:

Good choice of song…or what about “You Can Leave Your Hat On” by Joe Cocker…that would really showcase his sexy self (visions of him wearing his fedora & just a tie).

12. French Fangirl says:

So, we get to see Blaine’s relatives before original character’s ? Ok, just checking.

Remember when we were going to see Brittany’s mother ? (Obviously not anymore since the girl became as invisible as Tina and Quinn). Can’t wait for Rachel’s dad and Santana’s family.
    I’m tired of Blaine and finchel being shoved down our throats.

• anon says:

Yes, we’re meeting Blaine’s brother. We’ve also met (original characters) Finn’s mom, Kurt’s dad, Quinn’s parents (and daughter), Rachel’s biological mother, Puck’s mom and sister (and daughter), Will’s parents, Emma’s parents, Mike’s parents, and Sue’s mom and sister.

We also met Sugar’s dad, Becky’s mom, and Sam’s whole family, and non of them are original characters or even regulars. So stop making it about Blaine. Oh, the horror! Blaine will get some character development and backstory! I guess you’ll have to stop complaining that he’s a flat character (which he isn’t).

Britt has been made invisible lately (I’m not sure why, but it isn’t so Blaine can have more screen time). Tina has always been invisible, even before Blaine, so it’s not his fault. And Quinn is very visible, or did you just block out that ridiculous baby story line they spent so much time on this season? Tell me your secrets if you have. She hasn’t had much singing to do, but she has had a lot of narrative focus (even if the story was a train wreck).

13. Mikaylah says:

Blaine is actually my favorite character on Glee. I can’t help but get happy when he is singing, and I think his relationship with Kurt is fantastic. I also happen to love Matt Bomer from White Collar, so this is double the excitement! :)

14. Astrid says:

Best new I’ve got recently! Blaine’s my favorite character in the show, mainly because I’m such a big fan of Darren Criss. But seriously White Collar is one of my favorite TV shows, and Matt is so hot.
    oh, how I want to know those Andersons..:)

15. Lourdes says:

Is there anything that Matt Bomer can’t do? He can act, he can sing, and he’s beautiful. Can’t wait to learn more about Blaine’s family and to see what song or songs they’re going to sing.

16. Lori says:

LOVE Matt Bomer & White Collar! Cannot wait for this episode!

17. carmen says:

Omg I really agree with you. People should see the show first, rather than opening their mouth first!!!

18. ann says:

Matt Bomer got to sing AND dance with the sublime Diahann Carroll in ‘White Collar’. I can’t imagine there will be many opportunities in his career that will top that.

19. marie says:

Soo excited I love them both! I would really enjoy them doing something rat pack esqu maybe a duet of come fly with me or Bobby darins Mac the knife! Can’t wait

20. Kiran says:

MATT BOMER ON GLEE? SOOO PERFECT!!! Love Bomer, Love Blaine, Love Glee…and there is definitely a family resemblance! I’m excited…even though it’s quite a while away!

21. *sigh* says:

Blaine is such a badly written character, I just want him to disappear. Glee just sucks now. I really can’t understand people who say he is their favorite character. Unless they’re 12 year old or obsessive Klainers or Darren stans. I don’t care how much screen time or solos he already had, I just don’t want him to get anymore of it. Season 4 will be the end of Glee.

• anon says:

Um, this is GLEE. ALL of the characters are poorly written and inconsistent. In fact I’d say Blaine’s one of the easiest to reconcile the inconsistencies. Have you seen Quinn? Puck? Finn? Schuester? Brittany? Don’t pretend this is a problem specific to Blaine (and as I said, he’s probably one of the better written characters).

I am a grown woman, not 12 years old, and I am a fan of Darren Criss, but I love the character of Blaine because he is fascinating, sympathetic, and complex (if a bit of a mystery). My other favorites are Kurt, Rachel, Quinn, and Santana (all despite some inconsistent characterization and retconning – you kind of have to roll with it on Glee). And yes, I like Kurt/Blaine because their relationship is fairly well-written, healthy, romantic, and interesting.

Oh and PS? It looks pretty snobby and gross to dismiss people’s opinions because of their age. What makes your opinion more valid than that of a 12 year old?

22. CJ says:

The whole premise of Glee has never interested me, so I don’t watch it. But I certainly WILL tune in to this epsiode! Matt Bomer is so talented – it’s great to see him getting to showcase that talent for new audiences.

23. MC says:

Now, we just need Zachary Levi to show up as Blaine’s brother’s old fraternity brother and we’re all set.

24. ANameWithLetters says:

Ok… so you’re tired of all the Blaine? He has sung about 6 songs this season, not including WSS where he was male lead. And in the latest episode he didn’t even have one line! Finchel

• Marc says:

Duh! that’s because all the scenes he was doing in November and December with the other cast members -they were filming 3 episodes at once. Darren had to go rehearse How To Succeed on Broadway, and so the producers made sure he can handle things on time because he had a lot of scenes to do in “Michael” episode. He is getting reasonable amount of screentime. I cannot even complain. The ones who need more screentime are Matthew Morrison (Mr. Shue), Jane Lynch (Sue), Tina, Mercedes and Artie. The adult cast has been seriously neglected due to this.

25. Jake says:

OMG! this is amazing news! i LOVE matt bomer and i love Darren criss cant believe hes going to come on the show! so excited!

26. J says:

he looks alike darren

27. whitney says:

I never get tired of hearing (and watching…) that clip with Matt Bomer at the Kennedy Center. That voice sound so wonderful and I can’t wait to hear Matt Bomer sing in GLEE

28. jake says:

can he replace darren? chris and matt would be hot.

• Finnhud says:

Can I stay over at the Andersons’?

• Finnhud says:

Oh I didn’t mean to comment on this Kurt post.

I just meant that I’m sure all the Andersons are attractive. I bet Blaine’s Dad would be pretty too. And I wouldn’t mind being the filling in an Anderson sandwich.

29. Espy says:

I guess that means that my dream of Lea Salonga playing Blaine’s mom is dead…oh well Bomer is freaking awesome and it totally wipes away the image of Will in a matador costume.

30. Debbie says:

Best news EVER!

31. Margo says:

There’s no resemblance but who cares it’s Matt Bomer so I’ll be watching :)

32. SG says:

I guess I’m going to have to watch an episode of Glee, then.

33. Billie says:

omg i love darren criss and i certainly love matt bomer! cant wait to hear him sing!! :D

34. Andrea says:

I don’t watch Glee, but I’ll be watching this episode. The song that Matt sang on the White Collar S2 DVD extras (Love is a Many Splendored Thing?) was great!*

* opinion of someone who can’t sing AT ALL, so I appreciate the talents of those who can.

35. Anneli says:

I don´t get it. It´s a Finchel show not Blaine show. I, for example, am sick of the Finchel thing. So? Still love Glee and I think everyone in there has had enough screen time.

36. Mile says:

I love this. I love Matt Bomer and I love Darren and Blaine.
    Best news ever!

37. Ashley C says:

BOMER!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am so excited I love Glee and I love White Collar so this is epic for me I can not wait to hear a duet with Darren and Matt!!!!!!!!

38. Alois says:

YEEEESSS

This is everything I want.
    I’m happy.

39. FAK says:

The kid has got stage presence and the camera loves him. Darren Criss has that star quality that hasn’t been seen for quite awhile. VERY old Hollywood. Dont blame Darren for what is lacking in his characters story. The writers need to step up develope the character. As it is, Glee has always taken it’s sweet time with character development. It’s Glee’s formula and it’s kinda what keeps me watching. Slow sweet revelations sometimes popping outta nowhere. Who saw Dave Karofsky showing up at the gay bar??? Glee has taken TV where others have been afraid to go and I thank them for putting so many difficult social issues center stage and in the face of the general public. All the better to serve it up with song and dance, “Just a spoon full of sugar helps the medicine go down.” Thank you Glee cast, directors, and writers for doing what you guys do and giving me an hour of “escape” from the day to day. P.S. Guys, give Darren(Blaine) another look. He really is charismatic and dude can sing!

40. Taylor says:

Love Matt Bomer. I had no idea he could sing until five minutes ago, and he sounds fantastic! Can’t wait to see him in Glee!

41. Alicia munoz says:

I want to know of hin brother is okay with Blaine being gay

42. Mandy says:

Wow! This is amazing. I could not be more excited for this! Matt Bomer is so talented and so handsome and the perfect person to play Blaine’s brother. Can’t wait for this.

43. David says:

OMG! OMG! OMG! This is sooooo perfect! Bomer is beyond handsome my God what a family tree!

44. tolu says:

Yay!love darren criss love love mat bomer! Love d combination can’t wait 2 see dat episode

45. Mindy says:

Matt Bomer! Wow. That is finally a reason to tune back in to Glee. Bomer has surprisingly good tone quality. He could maybe be a great singer with some quality instruction. I have been impressed the couple times I have heard him sing. He obviously has some basic classical instruction behind him. Of course, since Glee is so autotuned, it won’t even matter if he can sing. So, hopefully he takes his shirt off instead. ;)

46. Nicole Anderson says:

Did anyone notice that Blaine didn’t say a word in the episode Yes/No? Yeah, I didn’t think so.. Anyway, Loveeee Matthew! PERFECT for Blaine’s family!

47. Serena says:

You can always be sure to find the butthurt Kurtofksy, Kum, and Artie stans giving their unbiased “opinion” on anything Blaine related. I think this is what most of ONTD_Glee does for a hobby.

48. Nicole says:

I’m SUPER excited to see some of Blaine’s family and get an idea of what it’s like for him. I feel like he isn’t the most loved or appreciated one at his house and I want some ANGST! I also want to see his dad though so I can hate him forever. Everyone knows Kurt and Blaine are by far the best characters, together or not. And Darren Criss is supermegafoxyawesomehot.

49. DB says:

the most epic dreamboats extravaganza casting ever. i haven’t watch Glee this season, but this is a required viewing.

50. dianna says:

JUST GIVE ME THE EFFING EPISODE ALREADY WHADFHGDSJDEHKWEJLKROKWOEK;W.