Exclusive

Glee Exclusive: Matt Bomer to Guest Star as Blaine's [Spoiler Alert]!

Apparently, pretty runs in Blaine’s family: White Collar hunk Matt Bomer has closed a deal to guest-star in an April episode of Glee as the Warbler’s older brother, TVLine has learned exclusively.

This is big for a number of reasons. Among them:
 Since this will be the first time we meet any of the other Andersons, we might finally learn a bit about Blaine’s apparently gorgeous kin.

Glee First Look: Darren Criss Channels Michael Jackson!

This will also be the first time a lot of people will get to hear Bomer sing — because yes, natch, his character will get in on his sib’s musical number. (Oh, and lest you doubt his pipes, check out this clip below from the 2010 Kennedy Center Honors.)

It seems the soap grad is something of a new muse for Glee creator Ryan Murphy: He’s also just cast Bomer in his in-the-works film adaptation of Larry Kramer’s play, The Normal Heart.

Your thoughts? Do you see the family resemblance? What song do you hope Bomer will perform with Darren Criss?

Loading video...

For Instantaneous Glee Scoop/Spoilers Follow Ausiello on Twitter via @MichaelAusiello

TAGS: , , ,
GET MORE: Casting News, Exclusive, Scoop

1. anon says:

Love Bomer, like Darren, don’t like Blaine. Sick of his character and all the screentime/songs he gets.

• another anon says:

THANK YOU, THANK YOU VERY MUCH.

• Kate says:

He has had no screen time except to sing songs, which don’t count as far as I’m concerned and I would very much like to see more of his character! For people who keep complaining about him having “no character”, well they should be happy now finally! If they’re still bitter and just want him to leave…well sorry, but Blaine’s here to stay and thankfully we’ll know more about him soon, which is fantastic!

AMAZING NEWS GLEE.

I am actually excited for once!

And Matt Bomer? Perfect.

• Cy says:

HEAR HEAR–I thought Blaine was a great character and miss seeing him outside of musical numbers. Seriously, kids–what’s with all the hate? Isn’t he like the most well-adjusted character on the show? (along with a great voice, moves & good looks) What’s not to love??

And Matt Bomer on GLEE makes me SO HAPPY. That’s gonna be one SIZZLING number starring Blaine & Smexy Older Brother. XD

• Kristi says:

Agreed!! Love Bomer and Blaine is such a cutie how can anyone not like him!!! Look forward to this pairing!!

• Connie says:

I love Glee and I love Matt Bomer & Blaine, what a great combo. they will make cant wait.

• Joey says:

I totally agree! I love Blaine, he’s one of the highlights of the show for me and I’m really looking forward to learning more about him and his family. This is a great casting choice.

• Sarah says:

I agree! Blaine definitely needs more screen time. He has lots of solos, yes, but his character development is not quite there yet. We only know him as Blaine Anderson who used to be in The Warblers bla bla bla. We don’t know much about his background.I’m very excited that his family member will be introduced-in this case-a gorgeous brother. *drools* I’m kinda sick that so many people are dissing on Blaine,which is surprising coz Blaine is good looking, charismatic and talented…near perfect. Finchel has definitely more screen time than he does, and now Santana.

• Anon says:

THANK YOU! This is exactly how I feel. We need more Mercedes and Tina rather than Blaine. I would even take FINCHEL over more Blaine right now, and they are really starting to get on my nerves.

• Nina says:

^ Thank YOU! I want anything, but Blaine. IDGAF How much screentime or solos he had, just stop him.

• eddie says:

The non-stop complaining about Blaine is getting on my f-ing nerves.

The producers of Glee are not required to produce a show to YOUR liking. Don’t like what they’re doing? STOP WATCHING.

• Lindsay says:

And people aren’t required to comment to YOUR liking. Maybe you should take your own advice, and stop reading the comments if insulting a fictional character affects you so badly.

• yep says:

I realize he will be the star(Rachel last 2 seasons)of season 4 but to saturate his character this season and last one so much it is like muddy water. Stale and Hohum. Supposedly, he is stable and well-adjusted and fits into a nice but dull relationship with Kurt. I adore the flamboyant, overly-versed, much neurotic Kurt. He out-shines Blaine in a scene IMO. The thing about Glee characters they seem to be more enriched and interesting if they are bad or flawed making one remember that character til the next time. Blaine doesn’t do that for me. As for Matt Bomer a hottie coming to Glee will be interesting and fun. Go going Glee. Just make Blaine more fun will ya?

• CA says:

whine whine whine — good grief — never have fans like those that supposedly like Glee whine about the most inconsequential stuff.

• lily says:

I’m surprise about all that whining…is Blane such a bad character and why? I haven’t watched GLEE since the first few episodes. Have alot of catching up … maybe.

Anyways, soooo looking forward to seeing the episode with his brother introduced…love Matt Bomer.

• anon says:

Blaine is not a bad character at all. People are just butthurt that Darren Criss is more famous, talented, good-looking, and charismatic than they ever will be and that makes them hate Blaine.

Or the reverse: they’re mad that Blaine “got in the way” of their preferred ship (between Kurt and a straight dude, Sam, or between Kurt and the guy who sexually assaulted and threatened to kill him, Karofsky, wow, those are some great alternatives), and hate Blaine and Darren Criss for playing him as a result.

• James says:

How is it in the land of delusion?

• Katie says:

Oooh, that’s right. Karofsky stole that kill from Kurt two years ago! Which is so much better than Blaine pawing Kurt long after he said no. You’re just pissed because your ship sucks.
            -Team Kurtofsky!

• To Katie says:

Blaine did not paw at Kurt after he said no. In fact, he stopped trying to kiss him, and kept his hand on his arm. Oh no! How dare he touch his boyfriend and stop trying to kiss his boyfriend when his boyfriend told him to stop trying to kiss him? Blaine upset Kurt by proposing drunken sex in a car, not by trying to assault him.

Karofsky assaulted Kurt. After physically and verbally bullying him for months if not years. He followed that “stolen kiss” (read: sexual assault) up with more physical bullying, sexual harassment (cake topper scene and that gross wink in the caf, anyone?), and a DEATH THREAT. He remained unrepentant and continued to bully for months afterwards, was BLACKMAILED into a fake apology, and then about-faced two episodes later and cried in the hallway so the writers could gloss over how disturbing his earlier behavior was. Sorry if I don’t buy his “redemption” and even if they had really redeemed him, I still wouldn’t want him near Kurt, considering their history and what kind of message a romantic relationship between the two would send (that is, a horrible, offensive one).

I guess I’d just prefer Kurt to be with someone who loves and respects him and cares for him deeply, even if said person is HUMAN and makes mistakes (Blaine), rather than someone who made his life hell, terrified him so badly that he had to transfer schools, heaping a ton of stress on Kurt and his new family and costing them a lot, financially.

Can you imagine Burt ever being okay with Kurt and Karofsky dating? hahaha

• Mrs Hagberg says:

@Katie

“Stole that kill”

Freudian slip?

• P says:

Blaine is not worst than the other characters, and better than some (Will, Finn) but he became the scape goat for a part of the fandom for every thing that went bad in season 2.

• Darcy says:

Blaine has had almost no screentime this year except in a couple of episodes. In the vast majority of episodes he gets one brief line or maybe if he is lucky an entire paragraph. I can’t wait to FINALLY see Blaine get some real screen time and a story!

• e says:

Whine, whine, whine, whine, whine.

You don’t like, then don’t watch.

• Shannon says:

Blaine rarely gets significant screen time. Only songs.

• Joe says:

Don’t know Bomer. Couldn’t agree more, sick of Darren and Blaine.

• Mrs Hagberg says:

I like Blaine. :*

Darren’s okay…

• yep says:

I second that. Not a Blaine fan at all. Enjoy Darren. Love Bomer and his show. He sings beautifully. As for Blaine he gets the most songs and screen time. People scoff at Rachel being in the spot light-look at Blaine.

• anon says:

…are you serious?

In this season, people who have unarguably had more screen time than Blaine: Rachel, Finn, Kurt, Santana, Quinn, Puck and probably others.

In this season people who have unarguably had more songs than Blaine: Rachel and Santana.

I love Rachel and Santana, so I won’t tell you to complain about the spotlight they get, but just stop with the lies. idk what show you’re watching.

• Finnhud says:

Agreed.

• Corey Smith says:

I agree. However, it is only right that Rachel, Finn, Kurt, Santana, etc. get the most screen time this season because they’re graduating. Yes, it has been confirmed that 4 will be returning, but the show is centered around the glee club, so their screen time will decline. It’s only fair. And then characters like Tina and Artie and Sam will get to shine. Especially Blaine. He will probably be the star of season 4, no doubt. I do want to learn more about him, but in due time. I’m glad we will get one backround episode on him this season, but that’s all I need until season 4.

• anon says:

Except we’ve heard from Lea Michele that Finchel will be getting a big focus in season 4 (er, what have they had up until now? sheesh). And I’m sure Kurt will remain a major character, and Santana, too.

But if Blaine is to be a main character, they need to develop him now so the audience is invested in his journey. One episode on him is not enough.

• Thomas says:

It’s Bryce freakin’ Larkin :O

• Amanda says:

I don’t think Blaine gets enough screen time. He may be a little boring of a character, but thats only because he seems to one of the few that is not totally damaged. He has no main story line, except them trying to bring in Sebastian.

I think the writers have a hard time working with what they have, and instead they keep bringing in more and more characters!!! All you Karkofsky ( i know I spelled that wrong)fans its because he’s hurt and damaged and you want Kurt to “heal his wounds” and the fairy tale to ensue.

I think if they go that route it will make the bullying and threating seem like a phase. People who are really going through that don’t think maybe one day they will be nice to me and we can begin to fall in love with each other. In reality it usually gets worse. I would never forgive someone who made me fear for my life. But I guess thats just me.

• anon says:

I agree with what I think you’re saying Amanda (though I don’t think Blaine is boring, just underdeveloped if overall a nice, confident person).

But I do agree that having Kurt, the victim of assault, harassment, and death threats, bear the responsibility of “healing” the very person who assaulted, harassed, and threatened to kill him, and making it about that perpetrator’s poor feelings rather than Kurt’s would be very offensive.

It is not the responsibility of victims to heal/educate their abusers. I don’t like the message the show sent with Michael (Kurt ignoring that Sebastian severely injured Blaine and “teaching him a lesson through song), and I didn’t like anything about that unfortunate bullying story line last season. Karofsky should be kept far away from Kurt.

• wolverina says:

Love White Collar… love Bomer. can’t wait!

2. Michele says:

Talented guy and very nice guy. Thumbs up for this addition to the glee guest star slate.

3. sammy8a says:

OMG! So freaking amazing!

4. AnaB says:

Haha! For a moment there I thought you said Matt Bomer is playing Blaine’s brother…

5. Erica says:

I have been a fan of his since “Guiding Light” he is such a hunk!

6. Cassie says:

I first saw Matt years ago as Bryce Larkin on Chuck (which happens to be ending tonight), and since then I’ve watched his career develop so much. I am very glad to be seeing Matt on Glee. Good luck, Matt! :)

• Chuck says:

I hate Bryce Larkin.

• TJ. Church says:

Also followed him from “Chuck ” to “Collar”. Surprised me watching the Honors when I heard him introduced to sing… But I’m all for him following Chenoweth into “recurring character” territory if the “Collar” schedule allows.

• SG says:

I can’t see that happening. Seems like he’s squeezing this in before going back to start filming “White Collar” in NYC from mid-March for 6 months. Then he’s filming a movie. I think this’ll be his one guest starring appearance, for a while at least.

7. Valerie says:

OMFG!!!! I knew there was a reason to stick with this show!!! Bring it!!!

8. Michelle says:

Awesome!

9. Elias says:

It’s not the first time for me, Don’t you remember that he already sung in White Collar? I was actually surprised, great singer.

• Don says:

NOT a great singer, actually. No breath control (no breath, for that matter), clear register breaks, inconsistent emphasis throughout vocal range, etc. Whatever one’s opinion of his ability or voice, he certainly didn’t warm up properly for this performance.

• Sabina says:

he was actually feeling ill during that performance. i’ve heard him sing on a white collar episode and also, in white collar “bloopers”, he’s actually a pretty damn good singer

10. Luz says:

Oh my God! I see the resemblance!
    I think it would be awesome to see Blaine’s brother!
    Excited :D

11. SW says:

This is UH-MAZING. WOW. I couldn’t breathe for a second when I read that. I’m such a huge Matt Bomer fan, and I’ve been dying for Blaine to get an older brother, so the fact that Matt is playing him is blowing my mind right now. I can’t even wrap my head around it.

12. Jones19 says:

Holy crap best news ever!

13. Matt says:

OH MY GOD. This is amazing!

14. DJ says:

He played the boyfriend of Tru on Tru Calling!

15. Rachel says:

More Blaine? WHYYYYYYYYYYYYY? Sick of him.

16. Liz says:

Yes! What’s the problem? He can sing & he isn’t this high profile star like Ricky Martin. Actually Ricky Martin has been the only huge star this season which is good.

17. sara says:

It’s a double rainbow of epicness

18. JustLikeTheSong says:

Sooo excited for this! Can’t wait to meet some of Blaine’s family!! Yay Blaine development :D

19. Joanna says:

Love Matt Bomer, love Darren Criss, love Blaine, I hope this will happen.

20. Amy says:

So I’m not a big Glee fan but I like Darren Criss and I am a huge Matt Bomer fan so this is so freakin amazing!!

21. Fed up of Blee. says:

Oh great, more Anderson brothers, yeah, that’s exactly what the world needs.

22. S says:

Best. News. Ever. Not only Matt Bomer is very talented but it’s about time we learn something about Blaine other than the fact he’s Kurt boyfriend. So excited for this!!

23. daye says:

I’d rather meet the families of the original group before we get forced to sit through more Blaine.

• ME says:

^Agreed. It’s really turning into the Blaine Show. Besides the fact that Blaine is a badly written character, what about Mercedes’ family? She’s been there since the 1st episode and we still know nothing. *sigh* They love pushing there cash cow and his crazy fan girls.

• Monkeyrat says:

This. To both comments.

• adam says:

Actually we will meet Mercedes kid brother played by Alex from the glee project towards the end of the season he is part of vocal adrenline.

• Ali says:

The Blaine show? Season 2 was basically all about Finchel and the Finn/Rachel/Quinn triangle and now most of season 3 is only Finchel and Santana but nobody complains when they get more and more screen time.

Nobody complained when they brought in Sam’s entire family or Mike’s parents. Santana get’s an entire family (mother, grandmother, brother) and she wasn’t a regular character until season 2. We even saw Sugar’s father! But Blaine get’s a brother and suddenly it’s the Blaine show because he gets a relative instead of characters who’ve been there since episode 1.

You can call me a Blainer or whatever for sticking up for him, I don’t care, but you people need stop being so ridiculous over characters you don’t like.

• linda says:

I have to agreed with you

• gorram says:

Excellent post.

• sam says:

lol of course no one complained when sam and mike’s family appeared on the show. because at least they’d been around longer than blaine. santana has also been on the show since season 1. she and mike weren’t REGULAR characters until season 2ish but we at least knew who they were and they’d stuck around long enough and paid their dues. blaine’s character honestly just kinda came in one day and took over.

and i will tell you why it’s the blaine show to some people. blaine gets more solos than characters like tina and i know WAY more about blaine than I do tina who has been on the show since oh…the pilot? That girl doesn’t get to finish her solos half the time while blaine sings songs that aren’t even remotely relevant to the plot.

i’m over him. they overexposed him too much and now he’s just a cash cow and kind of pointless. that’s just how it is. I’d rather see more storylines for background characters i’ve cared about since the pilot than a guy who crashed in mid season 2. that’s just how it is.

and if you’d like me to be fair and neutral, i’ll just say the finchel of it all is just as annoying as blaine.

• anon says:

Gosh, I sure miss those days in season 1 when Tina had all those solos and complex story arcs.

Oh wait. SHE NEVER HAD THOSE THINGS. The writers ignoring Tina has never NOT been an issue and it is NOT because of Blaine that they’re doing it.

Even if Blaine does get more solos/plots than Tina, so does every other character. So why is it The BLAINE Show, especially when, so far this season, Finn, Rachel, Kurt, Santana, Puck, and Quinn have had the majority of the focus? Applying logic really works wonders in these situations; you should try it.

Finchel is WAY WAY more focused on and shoved down our throats (especially lately) than Blaine. The two don’t even compare. And that’s not going to change any time soon. Rachel sang three times last ep, is singing three more times in the next ep, and we’ve got Finchel’s lovely engagement story to deal with for the next three episodes at least, including meeting Rachel’s dads, Hudmel family stuff, and Kurt and Rachel talking about the engagement.

Blaine has had ONE episode where he was the (shared) focus so far this season. Stop embellishing what he has had to do. You complain that he only gets context-less solos? Well, be glad he’s finally getting a story line and some backstory and development, then.

• sam says:

you misunderstand. the logic here is that finn rachel kurt santana puck and quinn have been on the show just as long as tina has. my problem with blaine is that i know more about a guy that crashed in on season 2 than a character that i’ve known since the pilot. so i’d say my logic is sound.

there could be a lot of reasons the writers ignore tina but she’d certainly have more time for storyline and solos if blaine wasn’t singing pointless songs all the time. It also wouldn’t have happened if it weren’t for them shoving finchel down our throats, ridiculous amounts of guest stars/stunt casting, unorganized storylines, pointless tribute episodes, the list goes on. so gee are you happy that i’m not just blaming blaine?

and why are you lecturing me on how annoying finchel is in terms of storyline time like i don’t know that? I said that the finchel of it all is just as annoying. it is. i agree with you. Finchel is honestly one of the WORST things about this show right now.

i just don’t like blaine as a character…at all. that’s just me. and i’m not gonna be non vocal about it. i happen to think he gets too much screentime and hype…and for what? I personally don’t get it and him getting a family and storyline isn’t going to make him an awesome character for me.
            so maybe to you i didn’t apply logic in my last comment but to me you’re not showing much reading comprehension so I guess we’re even. *shrugs*

• Ali says:

See that is what wrong with you people who peg Glee as the Blaine show. You only look at the solos he had, so the whole show is about him. Yeah, he had more solos than a lot of the other characters but you also need to look at who has solos AND leads in ALL of the songs and who has the most screen time, because you know what you end up with when you do? The Finchel and Santana show.
            Look at season 3. Santana had leads in every single episode from episode 4 till 10 (with the exception of 9 because her solo ended up getting cut)and will have more leads in 11 and 12. Sometimes even multiple leads in some episodes (5,6 and 7) A big part of episode 4 was all about her. 6 and 7 were all about her and Finn and 12 will involve a lot of her too. The only episode were a lot was about Blaine was episode 5. Now tell me this is still the Blaine show.
            Besides, if Blaine didn’t have the solos, Do you really think Tina would’ve. No, it would’ve been even more screen time for Finchel. More baby drama with Quinn and Puck. More coming-out drama with Santana. More Wemma issues. A whole lot more but Tina.
            I love Tina. I find it extremely annoying that she barely gets any screentime, but it’s not all Blaine’s fault.
            (Also, Sam was only in 3 episodes before Blaine came in. How does that justify that people didn’t complain when his entire family came in but do now with Blaine)

• heraldtalia says:

AMEN! I honestly do not understand all the Blaine hate. And hating on Darren because you think Blaine gets too much screen time is beyond mean-spirited. I personally can’t stand Santana but I would never bash the lovely Naya.

Blaine has gotten a few songs, but just about no character development. There was much more time spent on Santana, Finnchel, Quinn’s baby and the whole NYADA plot. And that’s fine. I’m not complaining that those characters get screen time. What I am so sick of is people acting like it’s the “Blaine show” when it’s just not true.

• Aya says:

Yeah, exactly.

I’d much rather they explore the families of the characters that are graduating.
      And what ever happened to Anne Hathaway and Julie Andrews for Kurt’s family? Didn’t both actresses WANT to do it?
      The Blaine Eclipse of Kurt and everyone else progresses…

He’ll be getting another guy pursuing him along Sebastian next. But God forbid Dave come back and love Kurt.

UGH.

• anon says:

Lol, so Kurt should get a well-explored relationship with his dad, relationships with Finn, Rachel, Mercedes, and Carole, AND he should get a grandma and a lesbian aunt, while his boyfriend remains undeveloped and a mystery? OKAY THEN, makes perfect sense!

Presumably Matt Bomer WANTS to play Blaine’s brother, which is why he took the gig. Also, Lea Salonga has stated she WANTS to play Blaine’s mom, so we should get her on board too :)!

Yes, God forbid Karofsky come back and express “love” in Kurt because it would be a gross excusing of him SEXUALLY ASSAULTING AND THREATENING TO KILL KURT and would be offensive as hell.

Blaine doesn’t eclipse anyone. The show is currently ALL about Finchel (to a nauseating degree – no story line remains untouched by Rachel and/or Finn, like Santana’s coming out turned into a story about Finn). If you’re a fan of Kurt, you should be complaining that Finchel took over 2/3rds of his songs to Blaine in the upcoming episode. Blaine isn’t stopping Kurt from singing a solo, the writers’ need to insert Finchel in everything and hide the gays is.

We have explored the families of Finn and Kurt. We will shortly be meeting Rachel and (more of) Santana’s families. And those four are well-explored characters besides. And they’ll all be back in season 4.

And I wouldn’t wish Sebastian’s pursuit on Kurt for the life of me. He’s creepy and gross and it’s bizarre to want that kind of person chasing after Kurt. It’s bordering on stalking and harassment.

• Marco says:

Oh, yes, God Forbid a character can actually LEARN FROM HIS MISTAKES and BECOME A BETTER PERSON. You say Burt would throw a fit if Kurt and Dave started dating. What if he finds out what Blaine did in the Scandals parking lot? No, Finchel isn’t ruining Kurt’s chances of solos, BLAINE IS. They aren’t hiding the gays, well, not ALL of them. Four of them. One is decidedly overexposed. If you haven’t figured out by now that Blaine/Darren is Glee’s cash cow (and Darren sincerely deserves a lot better than that) there’s seriously no hope for you. And how ironic it is that Kurt and Dave are now the HEALTHIER pairing compared to Klaine?

• Alois says:

I like Blaine quite a bit, but I definitley think I would like to see a Q&A with the writers to figure out exactly what they’re attempting to do with his character…
            :-@

• anon says:

Okay so “Kurt and Dave” is nonexistent. Sorry.

But if they were a couple, it would be a terrible, offensive message to send. Hook up with the guy who sexually assaulted you, physically and verbally harassed you for months if not years, and threatened to kill you, showing no remorse for months and then ~magically crying in a hallway? Wow, that’s the Kurt I know and love.

And stop twisting what happened between Kurt and Blaine in the car outside Scandals. Blaine did not try to force himself on Kurt, and you are full of it if you try to claim he did. He drunkenly proposed sex and that hurt Kurt’s feelings. He didn’t touch Kurt anywhere but his back, arm, and face, he stopped trying to kiss him after Kurt said “no!” and he didn’t try to stop him when Kurt got out of the car.

Right now, Santana and Kurt are the queer characters with the most focus. They are “hiding the gays” in that they are refusing to show Brittana and Klaine acting like couples. “It’s okay to BE gay, but not act on it” seems to be the message the show is currently sending.

Finchel was shoe horned into “Ben” so they could chaperone Kurt and Blaine, so things wouldn’t get too gay.

Blaine is not ruining Kurt’s chances for solos – how do you even come up with this? Even in Michael, which was supposed to be a Blaine-heavy episode, Santana and Kurt got much more focus than Blaine.

There is no universe in which the Kurt/Karofsky pairing would be a good idea. It would be gross.

• Beatriz says:

I love Lea Salonga <3.

24. Jade says:

Best news I ever heard! Finally some Blaine development. And Matt Bomer… Yeah, perfect.

25. mel says:

Im very happy about this i love matt bomer… so cant wait watched him in tru calling and white collar great actor… im happy for blaine to get a brother hope this is true

26. Kate says:

I’d rather the see the families of Artie, Tina, Brittany, Santana, Puck, Mercedes and Mike. You know, the original Glee cast. Sigh. Blaine is killing my Glee love. Well him and journalists like you with a boner for him.

• Janie says:

He’s killing my Glee Love too. I have nothing against Darren, but his stans can be so annoying. To me Blaine is the worst written character on the show and is just there for money. The original cast and characters deserve more than that.
      Welcome to the Blaine Show.

• Loveless says:

We have seen Santana’s, Mike’s and Puck’s Family on screen
      so it’s just Tina Artie Mercedes and Britteny. But maybe Mr tubbintion counts for Britteny.

• Julie says:

We still haven’t seen RACHEL’s family on screen and she, according to Ryan Murphy, et al. is the lead female character. I know we’ll see them in a few episodes, but come on. It’s taken 3 years to get to meet the Berrys. The Blaine “Teach a Lesson” Show sucks. Go back to black comedy and dark satire, Glee. Stop trying to teach people anything.

• e says:

Boy, you missed the boat, didn’t you? Rachel’s fathers have been cast & are appearing on the Valentine’s Day episode,

• Kyo says:

Did you read what they said? “I know we’ll see them in a few episodes, but come on.” They certainly didn’t miss the boat.

• Carmichael says:

I still don’t get the obsession over seeing Rachel’s dads. Of course, I’m also anti Rachel, so would rather see much much less of her

• Dean says:

Santana, Britanny and Mike technically aren’t the original cast. Neither of them were regulars until season 2 and 3

• Rog says:

If your gonna be technical yes but Santana has been there since episode one. Brittney followed in episode 2 and Mike in episode 4… so they were all in plenty of episodes. I think people are mad cause it took those characters 1 or 2 seasons to be a regular but Blaine only 13 episodes… its fair for them to be alittle salty i guess

• anon says:

But how do you TV?

Promoting people to regular isn’t based (necessarily) on loyalty or how long you’ve been on the show. Figgins has been on the show since day one and no one’s complaining about him not being a regular, right?

Darren Criss was made a regular because the producers/writers wanted him to be. He’s talented and well-liked, and the large majority of the general audience adores Blaine and his relationship with Kurt.

I think Harry Shum was finally promoted to regular because he was loyal, yes, but also because he’s very talented and hard-working and has fans. Darren Criss worked his ass off for Glee last year, doing craploads of promo work and having great success and popularity. Add on top of that his talent in singing, dancing, and acting, and it would be stupid not to secure him by making him a regular.

And let’s not forget that Naya and HeMo were in talks to become regulars after the front thirteen. DC was there for almost all of season 2, so there’s really no difference.

27. Mary says:

That family is just too beautiful…

28. GG says:

This makes me actually want to watch glee again! LOVE Matt!

• Deena says:

Same here! This season has been so blah to me with the exception of the last episode. My head perked up when I saw this headline. Matt is AMAZING!!!! I don’t care who he is playing, he will be a genuine asset, even if it is only 1 episode.

29. Jaimie Nay says:

How about just no ? wasting a great guest on a useless character only there to sell songs yeahhhh …..

• Finnhud says:

I really do wish they wouldn’t use him just to shift their itunes sales.

I want plot from glee! The music should just be the icing on the cake, so to speak. Also the actual plots shouldn’t just be about characters behaving in a terrible manner to one another. It gets boring. If I wanted that I would watch a bleeding soap opera.

30. thefirstmrshummel says:

Nothing about Blaine’s character holds any interest for me. And anything that gives him even more opportunities to sing is far from good news to me.

31. Ryan says:

Same here. Bryce was such a good character, that he was the reason I watched White Collar and now am oh so psyched for his guest starring spot. Now if he somehow shows up in chuck tonight… I don’t know how, but hey, weinerlicious is coming back

32. Colleen says:

Still wondering when Ryan Murphy is going to confess that he has absolutely no idea what he is doing. Wasn’t he the one who said NO guest stars this season? That they were going to focus on the core group of the glee club? He is so full of it. This show is on my last nerve…I don’t even know why I continue to watch. On a side note, I adore Matt Bomer.

• anon says:

I think it depends on how the guest is utilized. Matt Bomer is not a household name like Paltrow or Ricky Martin. As long as he’s used organically in the story instead of making the episode revolve around him, I see no problem. Victor Garber was a guest star in Acafellas as Will’s dad, but it fit in the episode. Helen Mirren guest starred as Becky’s V.O. but it wasn’t a “Helen Mirren” episode.

There are a lot of things more problematic about this show than (semi)famous guest stars.

• TL says:

I’m surprised people are still using the “Ryan said no guest stars” as an excuse to complain. People need to realize that running a show is a creative process, and we cannot hold people to what they said before they even started writing Season 3. If they come up with a character and a big name guest star fits the role, then they should be cast instead of worrying about going back on a statement that was probably made off-cuff. Grow up people.

• Neffy Leece says:

I agree. Ryan Murphy has no idea what he’s doing any more. All the gimmick and special guests in the world isn’t going to bring this show back to what it used to be. It’s lost its way somewhere, which is disappointing but the truth. I still watch it in the hopes that, maybe, I missed something, but no… It’s the show that’s missing something, and Murphy hasn’t quite found it yet.

Also, I’m tired of Blaine Anderson. No offence to his fans (who are very vocal and very nauseating), but I feel over-saturated with his presence.

33. Bebe says:

I don’t get the Blaine hate…other than they haven’t done a very good job of any sort of character development, well that’s not true they seem to have regressed him a bit this year. Doesn’t matter…Bomer will be a great addition and maybe the audience will finally “get” the Blaine characterization.

34. Riley says:

Last year Ryan Murphy made this big deal about there being no guest stars this season and focusing on the main characters of the show. Cut to midway through the season we’ve got Helen Mirren, Ricky Martin, Gloria Estefan, Pitbull, Jeff Goldblum and now Matt Boomer. All of this stunt casting, horrible writing and only catering to certain fan bases isn’t going to help regain the viewers that have given up on this once great show. I mourn for season 1 of Glee.

35. Morgan says:

I don’t care who he plays. Getting to hear Matt Bomer sing is like Christmas morning.

• Nikki says:

THIS. thank you. who cares who plays or what he’s doing there… IT’S MATT BOMER. he can do whatever the f**k he wants, ESPECIALLY if he’s singing. best casting ever. I hope he steals all of Blaine’s spotlight.

36. anon says:

I love Blaine! Can’t wait to meet his family!

37. kathleen says:

YES! So there is a reason to stick on with this show
    after all! I was starting to give up but this is awesome
    news! Bring on the Anderson family :D It was getting boring
    because the some of the original characters like
    Fichel and Will/Emma and Sue were starting to lose all
    interest… It’ll be wonderful to see more of Blaine and
    more Kurt too, hopefully we’ll see interactions between Kurt
    and his boyfriend’s family. This is amazing news,
    thank you Glee! :D

38. Kelly says:

Love Matt Bomer, but even his presence cannot make me watch this train wreck again. I’ll stick to getting my Bomer fix on White Collar.

39. anon says:

Blaine is such an enigma as a character. We know so little about him. Now that he’s a regular and moving to be more of a main character, I’m excited that we’ll get to learn more about him, including his background. I’m interested to see how this brother factors into Blaine’s relationship with his distant and unsupportive dad.

As for the haters, Darren Criss is a regular, and Blaine is poised to be one of the main characters next season, so deal with it. We’ve already met Finn’s mom, Kurt’s dad, Puck’s mom and sister, Quinn’s parents, Mike’s parents, Will’s parents, Emma’s parents, Terri’s sister (and family), Sue’s mom and sister, Sam’s parents and brother and sister, Santana’s abuela, and Becky’s mom. We’re going to meet Rachel’s dads and possibly more of Santana’s family shortly. It’s about time we got some Blaine development and backstory.

And you can embellish the extent of Blaine’s/Criss’s screentime and number of songs on lead, but he doesn’t actually get as much as you claim (though presumably he’ll get a chance to shine in Michael). The most dominating presences so far this season have been Rachel, Finn, Kurt, Santana, Puck, and Quinn. That characters like Tina and Mike are marginalized is a symptom of the show in general since season one and as nothing to do with Blaine. If Blaine wasn’t getting development, they’d still be ignoring Tina. Sorry for your troubles.

• Sonia says:

Hello this post is perfection and I want to marry it :D

ALL. OF. THIS.

I couldn’t be more excited!!!

• Ali says:

Bless this post! Finally someone who sees how much some people are exaggerating

• makayla says:

This post is perfection! I need the Anderson family, hopefully this will really help to develop Blaine character. Face it people Blaine is here to stay! The majority of the fan base love him, and people really do over exaggerated his screen time, TFT and some songs, I an in fact tired if Finchel screen time! (Sorry still love you Finchel) and Santana has a lot of songs this season too. Rachel has a song every episode I am in love with this post! ^^

• Kate says:

^ Sorry, but I think most of his fans are Darren Criss fan girls and not because Blaine and his personality and storyline are amazing. And another part of his fans probably just finds him hot.

• anon says:

*sorry* but I didn’t even know who Darren Criss was until I saw him as Blaine on Glee, and I loved the character before I bothered to look into the actor portraying him.

And I know many gay women and straight men who like his character, so I think you need to check your prejudices.

• heraldtalia says:

So what if I am an admitted Darren fangirl? Yes, he is gorgeous and talented. Does that mean I should apologize for wanting to see him more? Are you telling me that everyone here isn’t a fan of one or the other of the actors? Am I to believe that Naya’s hotness has nothing to do with her popularity? And the fact that people forgive Santana for being a bully?

And we DC fans don’t think his storyline is “amazing”. In fact, that’s what we are complaining about. We want him to actually get a storyline–more than just singing in the musical or sharing plots with Kurt. (Sebastian has so far been more about Kurt’s jealousy than about Blaine. We have no idea how hard it must have been for Blaine to leave his friends in the much-more supportive Warblers to get a tepid reception from ND.)

Everyone has a favorite character and actor on this show. Not just the DC/Blaine fans. And again I’ll say–picking on the actor himself–who clearly gets along with the rest of the cast and seems like a nice guy–because you wish someone else had more screen time is just mean-spirited and juvenile.

• OP says:

As another poster noted, we’ve also seen Sugar’s dad. Oh! And Rachel’s bio mom – Shelby. And Quinn and Puck’s bio daughter, Beth.

And I’d like to add that it would be great if people would stop complaining that the show is giving some screen time to a queer person of color (Blaine is canonically gay and Eurasian), as opposed to white, straight Finn, Rachel, Puck, Quinn, Schue over and over. Which, btw, were the characters in the F13 of season 1 who took all the focus, leaving none for Tina, Mercedes, Mike, and so on. You know, before Blaine was ever around.

• you are dumb says:

lol seeing as how they are casting the very much WHITE matt bomer to play his BIOLOGICAL BROTHER, no, blaine is NOT canonically a person of color. that was just a throwaway line. blaine is white. yes boring and annoying representation is better than no representation at all, but as much as i love to see LGBT characters on television, i will never like blaine. they could have had a much better LGBT storyline but they went with boring, inconsistent, and overdone blaine. no thank you, i have seen enough.

• anon says:

Err…does it say he’s his bio brother? He could be a half-brother from another marriage.

In BIOTA, Rachel said she would have Eurasian looking children with Blaine. If they choose to whitewash the character by making his whole family white, that will be a shame and frankly offensive, especially considering how proud of his Pinoy heritage Darren Criss is, and they’ve already referenced his heritage in the show, even if it was only for a joke, but it doesn’t mean that as of now, Blaine is a POC/multiracial.

Blaine is not boring, not nearly as inconsistent as some other characters (it’s GLEE, everyone is inconsistent to some degree), and obviously NOT overdone, since they’ve barely begun to explore him (getting some family in there is a good step in that direction, btw). Blaine as a character is a mystery in a lot of ways. What we do know of him makes him a GOOD representation for the LGBT community: he’s a good person, sweet, caring, likable, hard-working, talented, and charming, yet still has his flaws, like any other human being. There’s a reason why the media continues to eat him up. There’s a reason he’s one of the most popular characters among the general audience. He is an interesting character in his potential: we get snippets and hints about him that all suggest at his complexity and depth, so it’s just a matter of exploring him further.

They went with an excellent LGBT story line with Kurt and Blaine: two gay guys meeting but not immediately hooking up because they were “the only gays in the village.” Instead, they became friends, and stayed that way for months, forging a deep bond and coming to care for each other deeply, regardless of the nature of their relationship. Then they fell for each other and started dating when they were both ready to commit to a romantic relationship. They fell in love. They kept up a relationship based on honesty, respect, communication, and caring. They are the most solid, healthy and steady relationship on the show (tied with Tina and Mike), and certainly the best written (tied with season 2 Brittany and Santana, but the writers are ignoring them now for some reason). I’m sorry, but that is a very good story line for positive LGBT representation: two people meeting, becoming friends, falling in love, and having a relationship, just like we see over and over with straight couples, but rarely ever see for a queer couple.

• heraldtalia says:

Thank you anon! You said it perfectly! I don’t know why people think if Blaine had never joined that all of a sudden we’d be getting more Tina, Mike and Artie.

40. Tay says:

Matt Bomer on Glee NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!! WWWWWWHHHHHHHHYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!

41. aftvjunkie says:

OMB OMB OMB OMB OMB THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU !!!

Matt Bomer Coming to GLEE !!! Miracles can happen !!!

42. adam says:

This is exciting news we are finally going to meet a member of Blaine’s family we will finally get alot of insight on how accepting his family is of him being gay and hopefully more information on what is the relationship between Blaine and his father really is like between them. Plus we will finally see Kurt interacting with one of Blaine’s family member this is going to be hilarious.

43. Ian says:

I see a resemblance in that their both dark-haired, classically handsome Prince Charming types, but whatev.

I do like Matt, but hopefully this casting is less for the stunt and musical number, and more for the writing and Blaine’s character development. So if Bomer just happened to be an inspired choice for a good episode, that’s brilliant.

44. Polly says:

I got enough of both Blaine and Darren because of tumblr. The obsessive fans he has are more annoying than any other fandom I’ve ever seen. I don’t have nothing against Darren, but honestly. Focus on the ‘original’ characters that we barely know even after three seasons! There’ll be time for Blaine and the others on the next season (if it doesn’t get canceled).
    And the only reason this doesn’t suck is because MATT BOMER!!!
    (also can we have Kurt having a crush on him or…? I wouldn’t blame him. Just saying.)

• adam says:

I would love to see Blaine getting jealous over the attention Kurt gives his older brother can you say sibling rivalry. Plus Kurt has a thing for dark haired men remember his crush on Finn and now the spanish teacher David Martinez.

• alli says:

actually he has a thing for athletes/jocks. he is merely settling for blaine because he’s his only option.

• Sonia says:

LMAO butthurt shipper alert! :D Suuure, he has a thing for athletes and jocks. Which one are you referring to? The one that threatened to kill him and terrified him or the one that’s not even gay? :D

But you know, having a “thing” for a “type” is not the same as falling in love with someone so…

Why do I even bother lol. Go back to your land of delusion where Karofsky is in loooooooooove with Kurt and to show his affection he harassed him and Kurt will just magically ditch his healthy relationship to hook up with a guy he was terrified of. Yep that’s perfection lol.

Its amusing that its only the crackships that make more noise than all the actual ones on the show. :D

• viper_daisy says:

umm…where exactly did you see anything about Karofsky in that post? I think she meant Finn and Sam. You know, the two football jocks Kurt had crushes on in the first and second season?

And unwanted kiss vs. attempted drunken unwanted sex in a car? Yeah you tell me which one’s healthier.

45. ggny says:

you people complaining about meeting Blaine family over the original casts do get that Blaine will pretty much be the Main Character next year after everyone graduates…also amazing casting choice

• thefirstmrshummel says:

Except that Cory, Lea and Chris are all coming back for season 4, and there are other original chracters that are juniors this year. As well as the adult original characters like Will, Emma, Sue, Biests, etc.

So while there’s a segment that would love Glee to become all Blaine, all the time, I doubt that will happen unless they want to lose even more viewers.

46. Kimmy says:

Omg best news I’ve heard all day! Huge fan of white collar AND glee!

47. Jennifer says:

Matt Bomer is the most perfect human on earth this made my day

48. thefirstmrshummel says:

I read all Glee spoilers, regardless of who are what they are about. Soemtimes there are little nuggets about characters I actually care about in the articles.

Plus I like a heads up on how much of an episode I’ll be fast-forwarding through.

49. Sasha says:

Honest to god i really dont care what Matt Bomer does except that he needs to take off his shirt.

He can just take off his shirt and do the scenes, thats all I want

lol

I wont get it but i can dream