Chuck's Final Mission Intel, Part 3: There Will Be Tears... Lots of Tears

Chuck star Yvonne Strahovski is many things. Beautiful. Sexy. Quite convincing as a butt-kicking secret agent.

But she is not an easy cry.

Until, that is, she began nearing the very end of her days as Sarah Walker. “[Yvonne] is always a little bit tough, and she kept her cool…,” costar Joshua Gomez shared with reporters during a finale-time visit to the Chuck set. “And then all of the sudden, she was like, ‘Gomez, I can’t stop!'”

“I cried this whole [final] month,” Strahovski herself admitted. “I’ve just been crying, every single day. I [even] cried when i did my last fight scene ever.”

Chuck‘s Final Mission Intel, Part 2: There Will Be Big Fun (and Big-Budget Action!)

One reason for the cast’s waterworks is, of course, the real-life fact that they would be parting ways after five fun-filled seasons together. But throw on top of that a series-ending script that puts so much in jeopardy, then ultimately delivers (a good amount of) closure for all of the main characters, and that’s when the Kleenex really starts flying.

“We’ve been losing it on a scene-by-scene basis. And the [finale] is an episode that’s emotional,” Chuck cocreator Chris Fedak said. “If people aren’t tearing up, then we’ve not done our job.”

Chuck‘s Final Mission Intel, Part 1: There Will Be Blasts from the Past

Heck, even big, bad John Casey was poised to shed a tear if the script called for it. And while the lethal lug certainly has a emotion-laden “moment” toward the very end, “Casey doesn’t cry,” says his portrayer, Adam Baldwin. “[But] if [Chris] had written me to cry, I could have cried.”

Exclusive First Look at the Chuck Finale: One Last Dance?

Luckily, there aren’t many Caseys out there amongst the NBC spy comedy’s viewership. So as the final two hours unspool tonight starting at 8/7c — chock-a-block with callbacks to the pilot that started it all (and that you’ll want to/need to view anew first chance you get), and capped by a heart-tugging final sequence that takes no prisoners — you should be prepared to get misty along with Burbank’s finest.

“It’s a good, classic Chuck episode that gives you a bit of everything, [and] for the fans who have taken that journey from the very beginning, I don’t see how you’re not going to cry,” says Gomez. “So cry, dammit. That’s what we’re going for!” (With reporting by Vlada Gelman)

1. Jessica says:

*hugs* to all the Chuck fans out there. I truly hope tonight’s series finale is everything you’ve wanted since the show began. Very sorry that you guys are having to say goodbye to a show for which you fought so hard.

2. Samantha says:

Gosh dang it, I’m tearing up just reading this. I’m going to be a mess later!

• Meredith says:

Me too. I don’t know how I’m going to make it through the episode. I’ve been warning my husband for weeks, “You know I’m just going to cry all the way through the finale, right?”

3. Ari says:

I’m still in denial. We’re having a viewing party at my house! I hope the finale is as big as it seems like it will be in all of these articles!

4. Aiden says:

Well I’m already crying just reading this. It may sound silly but for a TV show, CHUCK has really been quite a part of its fans lives. We’ve supported campaigns, ate sandwiches, bombarded Twitter handles of advertisers to keep this show alive. Not only because it’s an amazing show that gives us joy, but also because of these people that’s connected with us for 5 years. The show itself introduced me to many things including these fan movements, insanely good music, superbly talented and sincere actors, and just the pride of general nerd culture. It feels like the show and its fans actually have this crazy bond, and it’s just tough to say goodbye to all that.
    Could not be more grateful for the run it had but, heck, I can’t feel like Michael Scoot when he was leaving Dunder Mifflin. This really IS gonna hurt like a mother****.
    But thank you, Chuck. #FiveSeasonsAndAFinale

5. Bethany says:

I will definitely be tearing up tonight when I watch the finale. Thank you Chuck for five years of great TV.

6. Michael says:

I’m gonna cry just reading this. Oh, my God. I can’t believe the end is nigh.

7. John says:

Thanks for a great ride!

8. Becca says:

Crying? I’ve been sobbing during every (blessedly) non-spoilery article I’ve read and video I’ve watched about the finale. I think I’ll likely be a mess during the episode. Heck, a good number of episodes this season have had brought about tears.

I’m anxiously, emotionally looking forward to the finale tonight.

9. Scott says:

Tonioght at 8 I will start my DVR then tune in at 8:30 so I can zap through ads. If, after that, anyone bodda’s me, I break-a they legs! ☺☻☺

10. Lindsey says:

I’m glad to hear I’m not the only one who’s already crying! These articles, “goodbye Chuck” videos, and previews have been making me cry. Even when NBC started saying, “Only 3 Chucks reman…” I cried.. I will definitely have a box of Kleenex with my Subway sandwich tonight!

11. Vannesa says:

I’m sure I’ll be tearing up. I will miss having Sarah kick peoples butt. The chemistry between Chuck & Sarah, Ellie & Devon and Morgan & Alex. :'( :)

12. JesB says:

I have been a fan since the premiere, I’ve cried a lot, laughed a lot, and as cliched as it sounds I am so glad that the cast and crew got to go out their way, with the notice and time to prepare an ending that will make cast and fans alike feel like they have the closure, i know i am looking forward to. i honestly cannot wait :)

13. chuck forever says:

Omg and i live in a country that doesn’t show the season now! We have to wait… Omg I gonna miss chuck soooo much! And I can’t wait to se this last season, chuck is the best show that have ever exist! Love it and love everyone in it too..

14. It’s time for a good cry! Just set the DVR to start recording a smidge early and stop recording a smidge late juuuuuust in case. Enjoy everyone!

15. Armin says:

I hate NBC for ending this amazing serie so soon. i can’t believe i can not see this serie anymore. i love you guys in chuck cast and crew you are amazing hope you back with other awesome serie.

Hope nbc ending the serie nice not like some of the main cast die or separate from each other.

16. Toy says:

Like every other true Chuck I’ve been anticipating and dreading this end. I’ve been sad, happy and proud. Proud that along with the legion of Chuck fans out there we kept this amazing show going for 5 seasons through petitions, sandwhiches and just lots of praying…and for that we have been rewarded with a conclusion . Which is more than most shows award their fans. I believe only Chuck fans can imagine how I feel right now…but alas its time to say good bye. I shall sob my eyes out, sleep, watch over again,cry more and at the end just say “thank you”. So thank you Chuck creators, its been an emotional ride :)

17. Dora says:

I would have started crying reading this…but I’m at work. I have to keep my composure!! That said, I know I will be bawling tonight!!! :(

18. Chris says:

I loved this show from the start. I used to work at Best Buy selling and working on PC’s. So I could relate a little and git caught up in everything. Been a loyal fan for five years. Sad that this has to end but all good things must come yo an end. Going to miss them, feels like apart of my family moving away. I will be teary eyed but I hope the best for the cast! I am sure they all will be on other shows soon!

• nicole says:

@ Chris..I have bought both of my computers from Best Buy..I told many of the Geek agents that this show was ending but they should watch it when it comes out on DVD. :)

19. Esel says:

Darn!I don’t want this series to end!. Thinking about it makes me cry! I fell in love with this show the moment i watched the very first episode,and I’ve been a fan since then… Nothing better can replace them in my heart! Kudos to the cast of Chuck for a job well done!

20. Mary Dubinsky says:

Alast the end has to come,My husband I have truly come to love “Chuck” once again, were asking ourselves what are we going to replace this show with. Okay, we have a few that we watch, but Chuck is the number one comedy/action show that we hate to see leave. These last few episodes have been awesome, and can’t believe it has to end. Thanks for giving us five years of laughter, action,and stirring up our emotions at times. So where are these actors going now? are they already involved in a new show? I hope to see them in another hit show soon.

Mary

21. Cynthia says:

Goodbye, Chuck! #sob! :'(

22. Cherri says:

I was already sad about tonight’s final episode. Then I read this. The only poitive about this show ending is that it’s planned and we will have closure. I hate when shows take a break and then never come back. We will really miss tuning in every week to see what happens next. My tissue box is poised :(

23. mrjroc83 says:

I have been posting on every article that I can about how much this show actually means to me. I have never related to a TV show before and no show ever made me cry except Chuck. Here I sit in the breakroom at the production plant that i work at trying not to cry, pretty much been this way all day today. This is not easy!! When though production on Chuck ended back in Nov of 2011 I am still hoping for a Chuck the movie. God bless everyone that made Chuck. 5 years 91 episodes, 93+ hours and over a million laughs, and tonight buckets of tears. Thank you Chuck, Zachary, Josh, Yvonne, Adem, Sarah, Vic, Scott, and Big Mike!! Chuck was my easiest hello and my hardest goodbye…I love you Chuck..
    Love Justin K

24. Lara says:

Bought Cosco sized tissues for my Chuck farewell party tonight. I’m sure they’re going to run out. Love you CHUCK it was a great five years, just like Alias.

25. nicole says:

Definitely be watching here..thanks for being a part me and my family’s life for the past 5 yrs. For me to get into a show, it is the dynamics…and how well u can tell the actor/actress show’s the other side of them..they get along. I’ve always said we will have a piece in our head and that is how our info will be displayed(Soc. Sec # ect.). Wishing you all the best in the future and hope to see u around via a movie/television show in the future. I’ll def. watch reruns if I can find them. Many Blessings. Nicole

26. Susy Pugh says:

To all you amazing fans–I have never done this before but I want you to know how much I am amazed at your love and loyalty. I am Zac’s real mom and the Lord put it in my heart to believe since he was a baby that God would use Zac to touch people’s hearts. The whole experience of Chuck has been such a miracle and I believe God brought the cast and crew and fans together for a wonderful experience. Your goodbyes had me in tears and I believe with all of you that the world is a little diminished with the loss of Chuck. Let us all pray and agree that we do not know the future but He does and has a plan. Love to u all

• Mercy says:

Mrs. Pugh I still can not believe chuck is over. But I do know that there is so much planned for your son he is a brilliant actor. I just hope he knows that thanks to chuck and all the actors they have brought and given a different kind of television experience that no show could ever duplicate. <3

27. Justin Keys says:

Wow what an honor to have you post and respond to our post Mrs. Pugh! Thank you. And we will keep Zach and your family in prayer always.
    God bless (empower to prosper) you and your family, Shalom!

• Susy Pugh says:

Thank you so much for your kindness Justin. Merced has been a favorite town in my family’s life for years. Would love to visit your church in the days ahead. FYI–the spiritual warfare over Zac and our family has been intense, but as we can see–God has made a way in the wilderness. The testimony someday I will share how only the Lord opened the doors for Zac and his career. For all who do not know the original Hollywoodland was settled by Christians and gave away land to anyone who built a church. Samuel Goldwyn Mayer shared this in his autobiography–many churches in Hollywood. God wants Hollywood back and is using shows like Chuck to do it. Thank you for your love and prayers

28. Sarah says:

I’ll be sobbing before the opening credits are over. My daughter and I always get up and dance when the song comes on and it’s been the highlight of my week for the last 2 years (she’s three now). :*(

29. onno says:

I’m in denial i don’t like goodbyes and this one will be a hard one 5 years of geekdom 5 years of Sarah will end tonight and the rest of the weekend i’ll be a mess and no one will be able to relate

30. Vishaal says:

I’ve been with chuck since the beginning and it sucks that it is ending. this has been my favorite t.v. show and honestly im pretty sure that i’ll cry. well done to the cast and crew of chuck for giving us something to look forward to every week. it has been great from the beginning. i will miss Chuck.

31. Shelby lyn says:

Oh my gosh. I wanna cry right now because chuck has been my favorite show since the first season. I can’t believe it’s ending! :'(

32. yekini musibau says:

chuck!chuck!!chuck!!!it all about u right naw!!men u ave won pupil heart specially me!! Is there anytin dat can cure my affection for u???….the true fan of CHUCK want,still want,desire,need,want to have more, of ur movies..becos chuck as really really impact manytin in many people life…Never i will never 4 get u wen mentiøning top 5 of films in AFRICAN(NIGERIA)…

33. Cass says:

Chuck’s Final Mission Comment, Part 1: There will be marathons
    For Christmas someone announced that they had already pre-ordered this season for me from Amazon. Like a true nerd, I plan to relive the past over and over in a state of semi-denial hoping (even though we’ve been promised closure) that someday there will be a movie.

Chuck’s Final Mission Comment, Part 2: There will be emptiness
    Chuck is absolutely my favorite show. Chuck got me through college. The show was my brightest spot in my week sometimes. It made me laugh, reminded me that there is always hope, and gave me that extra boost that kept me going. I know that sounds corny, but that was the nature of the show: a little corny but sincere. The show was wonderfully simple and made my inner-nerd (and my outer nerd) smile.

Chuck’s Final Mission Comment, Part 3: There will be memories, lot’s of memories
    The best acting. The best writing. The best direction. The best music. The best sandwiches. The best references. The best fans. The best twitter feeds. The best save-my-show campaigns. I will miss it all. If we could have saved more, I would have Chucked more. And if we could Chuck more, we could save more… Anyway, before (or maybe it is already after) everyone starts tl;dr-ing me: I want to thank everyone involved with Chuck for being such a special part of my life over the past five seasons. I love what you did and hope the future holds many more successes for you.

34. Janet says:

My family and I have looked forward to watching Chuck together every week. We’re so sad to see the show end… Thanks to all the actors and writers for giving us something we could share and enjoy together as a family! We loved “visiting” with you, enjoying your incredible work each week!

35. TimWnTX says:

My emotions will come once I’ve seen the episode and realize . . .
    ‘there is no more.”

36. Mark says:

Terrible finale! I did not like it!

37. Sarah says:

Justed finished watching the season finale…literally feels like my heart was ripped out! It juat sucks when you feel so connected to the characters and then its just over. No more character development, no more stories….just nothing. Chuck was one of the few shows I actually watch. It always had an intelligent storyline that draws you in, full of action with some good humor.

5 years just wasnt enough…Im gunna miss Sarah Walker the most…Yvonne Strahovski did an amazing job.

R.I.P. CHUCK I’ll be wearing black for the next month mourning my loss of Chuck! Seriously though c’mon and do just one more season!!

38. Steve says:

Defintely not the ending I expected. As a faithful watcher for all five seasons the finalé left me wanting more, like there were (obviously) still loose ends. I like the way Scrubs ended their (real) last season (before Med School)…they ended it with a pretty bow and tied up all the open story lines — and brought back all of the shows main co-stars.

All-in-all, Chuck was a great show and will be terribly missed. Just can’t wait for the DVD do I can see the longer uncut ending. Hopefully that will give die-hard fans the full closure they’re looking for.

To the cast… You will all be missed. Thanks for entertaining me for 5 years! Truely a pleasure to watch you all every week!!

39. Dyoms says:

Goodbye Chuck & rest of d gang Sarah, Morgan, John casey, Ellie, Devin, JeffSter etc etc… thanks for d good 5 years ride & will truly miss your show… In Nerdherd Buymore Burbank…

40. Steve A says:

Great finale, every character had some closure, except Chuck and Sarah. It left it open to interpretation and we liked that. No “magical” cure at the end, perfect. Thanks Fedak and company for a great, great series. Only smear was the product placement of that sandwich shop, but someone’s gotta pay the bills. Adam, the helicopter scene had us rolling, reminded us when Casey lost his prized Crown Vic to the missile, classic.

41. AJ says:

I have to say.. finale was a really great ep! i was bawling at the end of the show! BAWLING!!! i don’t think i’ve ever cried so hard in my entire life!!!!! but i think the best part of the finale was how the writers made it so it really wasn’t a goodbye and leaving it open to interpretation… CHUCK MOVIE FTW! and after that movie, the fans will fight for another! lol

42. Rp says:

I’m really gonna miss this show! I love all the cast and I enjoyed every single episode!

43. murana abass says:

wow……..i believe it cos this movies is emotional and i cant do without it. i do watch it every time in my life even they call me CHUCK in my house cos of love i had for this movies.chuck and sarah both of you did a great job infact ever since i dont watch movies like this.pls come again with another one MORE GREASE TO YOUR ELBOW. love u all the producer, the writer, the cameraman every bodies GOD BLESS U ALL.

44. Sarah says:

i did cry, i cried so hard. but not because it was such a heartwarming episode.. i cried because i was upset with it. Sarah should have gotten her memory back and i know that it was open to the viewers but it shouldn’t have been. They just ruined five years of chuck and sarah and didn’t give it back.

• Heather says:

I cried for both reasons–it was heartwarming/emotional *and* because I hated the last hour of the 2 hour finale. I still haven’t gotten past it a week and a day later. At least they didn’t kill anyone off, but the ending was just terrible. I rewatched the last 20 minutes of Buffy (my favorite show, even over and above Chuck). Now, Spike was one of my favorite characters and I liked Anya too. Both got killed off that last hour. But it was done so well, it felt final. There was closure in Buffy telling Spike goodbye and in Spike regaining his soul to do one last good deed. Nothing felt right about this. It was just sad and, as you said, kind of invalidated the whole series as far as Chuck and Sarah was concerned.

45. SuperGirl82 says:

So I just watched the last ever episode and couldn’t stop crying. I’m upset that we didn’t see Sarah get her actual memory back but I’m glad she cried because it showed she did feel some sort of an emotional connection to Chuck after all. When she asked Chuck to kiss her I started crying even harder. I can’t believe it’s all over now. It’s so sad knowing that we won’t see where Chuck and Sarah go from here, but I loved every minute of every episode and the overall storyline was amazing!!! The casting in this show was perfect. Each character was fantastic and I really am going to miss this show so much.

46. Taylor says:

I did cry Joshua!In fact I was bawling…my family was laughing and hugging me,= ).I am so sad;however it was a great ending!Thanks to all the cast and crew who gave me(and all chuck fans)five GREAT seasons!I loved every moment.

47. Ben says:

I was there at Comic-Con in San Diego last year, and Zach got choked up toward the end of the panel with the knowledge that this was the last season and that they wouldn’t be coming back to Con with the whole CHUCK cast. I wish they would come back for one more panel, so that we could tell them all how much the last season meant to us and how much we’ll miss them. It’s a sad day indeed…

48. Bruno says:

So tenho que Acradecer , esse serie foi a melhor de todos os tempos , nunca vo esquecer essa serie , naoq queria que terminase mais fazer oque a vida continua , eu gostaria muito de conheçer os autores , principalmente ,( Chuck ) e ( Sarah ) abraços galera boa sorte

49. Norman says:

The conclusion of the Chuck series was, in my opinion, ten times better than the conclusion of the Lost series. For those who feel they have been left hanging, because there was no ‘definitive’ indication as to whether Sarah fully recovers her memory, and with that her full relationship with Chuck, please consider: In the finale there were several times that we see her remembering things (i.e. Irene Demova Virus from five years ago when she and Chuck took on their first mission together). Yes the memories are there, they just need time to resurface. Her viewing of her missions log DVD (especially if she continued to look at it over time) will bring her memory back.

But, for us incurable romantics (such as myself), I believe, the most satisfying answer to Sarah and Chuck resuming their blissfully ‘lovable genius guy nerd/sexy genius girl spy’ marriage, is revealed at the end of the finale. When Sarah asks Chuck to tell a/their story, she is inviting him closer into her emotional life. And, any man who has truly loved a woman unselfishly as Chuck does Sarah, will tell you how important and meaningful such a request would be…especially under these circumstances.

Morgan’s suggestion of a kiss – and Chuck’s verbalizing that suggestion a few times – pretty much was a big hint that the kiss would happen sometime before the end of the last episode. And it did! When Sarah stopped Chuck from talking about such, and told him to “kiss me”, the deal was pretty much sealed. But there’s more. As the camera panned back, showing them on the beach, STILL KISSING …well, would a woman that still felt threatened and confused, be ‘still kissing? Hardly! Believe me when I tell you, Chuck and Sarah are madly in love, buying that house, and making a baby …even as we wish them the very best. Great series!!

The question is: Will we treat our cherished ones with the loyalty, faithfulness and self-sacrificing love with which Chuck and Sarah expressed toward each other?

50. Norman says:

Don’t worry Sarah. She did get her memory back. Here’s why.