Glee First Look: New Directions' Spanish Lesson!

Bust out those bolo ties! Glee‘s Spanish-centric installment is right around the corner, and we’ve got your first look at the Fox hit’s muy caliente episode.

Mr. Schue and Co. decide to embrace their inner Spaniards in the Tuesday, Feb. 7 episode, when a smokin’ hot new teacher — played by Ricky Martin — comes to town and inevitably spices things up.

Exclusive: Glee Casts Ricky Martin as ‘Hottest Spanish Teacher in History’

Martin is, unfortunately, not “Livin’ La Vida Loca” in the scoopy shots below, but the rest of the gang most certainly is, so have a look and then hit the comments with your snappy judgements.

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

1. a says:

No, Schue. No.

• Sara says:

omg….that is hilarious! i was thinking the same thing.

• yep says:

Hysterical. Yeah, take a really goog look at those cowboy boots the guys have on. OMG. Aladdin shoes. Good grief. They gotta walk funny. LOL. I think this epi will be hysterical.

• Lauren K says:

All I can say is, HOLY INFERIORITY complex, Batman! Ricky Martin has got to shake Will worse than Shelby. I think the episode could be entitled, Overcompensation.

2. lorena says:

offensive much?

3. gleeky says:

i’m mexican and i’m feeling offensed so far..
    why? because of the stupid boots that are like a stupid joke here and the custome of Mathew Morrison

• J says:

Su disfraz es español, no tiene nada de ofensivo.

• Chatty says:

Estoy de acuerdo. Ya me cansa el que tanta gente piense que porque algo tiene que ver con el español, es automáticamente mejicano. ¡Por favor!

I agree. I am tired that so many people think that because something has to do with Spanish, it is automatically Mexican. Please!

4. Raven says:

Those are some crazy looking boots in Pic 3 :) I can’t wait to see Matt Morrison sing in Spanish. And Ricky Martin…awesome! I love Glee!

5. Diego says:

This has the potential to be offensive. Wouldn’t expect anything less from Glee.

• CZ says:

Agreed. Glee has much to learn about being ethnically and racially sensitive and bringing in more diverse students and faculty

6. Alex says:

Ew Matthew Morrison.

He has the midas touch, except everything he touch turns into THE WORST.

7. AMJ89 says:

Okay, as a Spanish, I feel slightly offended by Will Schuester dressed as a bullfighter. Really Glee, Spain is much more than just bullfighting (actually lots of Spanish people highly dislike it) and paella. I know the show is made basically of stereotypes but geez.

8. Jane says:

All I see is Emma’s engagement ring and I have a huge smile on my face.

9. AM says:

He’sa matador and has a mariachi band with him? That’s two completely different cultures. Does Glee even do any research? I love Glee but the ridiculousness is getting hard to watch. smh..

10. Hyde says:

Don’t judge before you watch the episode! That’s like not reading a book because the movie was bad: completely presumptuous and just short sighted! Just enjoy in wonderment what the episode could be about and just go with it. Remember this is supposed to be in Lima, OH… not exactly the most non-ignorant locale in the US.

• Josh says:

I am so sick of this just enjoy it attitude. When you have to defend your favorite show by telling people to just go with it, there’s something wrong with the show. And as soon as they release these pictures, it’s fair game to be judged. It’s an absolutely heinous picture, not sure why they’d show it to begin with. But of this I’m certain-your Lima comment was far more offensive than anything in that picture above.

• Captain says:

Umm Josh is this your first time on the Internet? All shows have stupid people who go on the Internet just to hate on them. The more popular the show (ie. Glee) the more haters. Your “if people complain about your show, there’s something wrong with it,” attitude is just so offbase I don’t know where to begin. You can’t please everybody. I love Glee and really, that’s all that matters.

• sky says:

Well said. I love Glee and watch it faithfully. There are times when the show lacks substance etc. But this is just 4 or 5 pics not even a promo. So haters or complainers how in the Sam Hill can one get any idea about this epi by 4 or 5 still pics. Good grief you have to spew verbal nonsense just to spoil anything that might be fun about it because 1 you hate the show. 2 you talk being offended prior to any discription or content. 3 your sad and bored people who like to talk smack to cause friction. I feel sorry for you.
          I don’t get offended and the show hits home about me, my heritage, my appearance, my lack of abilities, etc. I’m blond, not talented, etc. Come on to those who have nothing better to do than think up complaints find something fun to do with your life. Be happy. Find your happiness somewhere because it isn’t on these forums.

• Tarc says:

Offensive & accurate – trust me, as a Midwesterner, it’s perfectly true. And nonsense to the ‘if you have to blah blah blah, then blah blah blah’. This is the internet- where the batsh_t come to play.

• Em says:

As an Ohioan, I’m more offended about that comment than the picture. Seriously? We don’t live in the middle of nowhere. Even if you think we do, we have internet and know things. We travel. We’re not idiots. Get off your high horse, please. Your comment was just as bad as the picture.

• Nelly says:

Kind of agree with you here. I try not to judge and everything with Glee because in the end, it always manages to be ok. But wow. What they really need to start realizing is that they aren’t doing the character of Will any justice. The fans are already tired and dislike him as it is. I want him to be saved, but this … yeah… Glee isn’t doing Will nor Matthew Morrison any favors.

11. Jimena says:

I´m beginning to think that this ep is going to be really offensive to us latinamericans…

12. CaightAshbury says:

Omg, will you people get over yourself already?! You havent even seen the episode yet and you’re offended by some pictures. Wow. You have bigger problems then I guess…

13. Wamms says:

Sadly, next episode will make a big mixture between Spanish and Latinamerican cultures. I’m sure people from USA don’t like to be confused with british people only becouse of their language (and viceversa). We have too different cultures, rich enough by their own. So please, don’t mix them.

14. kevin says:

Wish they would’ve bring Gwyneth Paltrow back this season.

15. hugo says:

Esto es ofensivo, por primera me molesta esats imagenes, q significa esas botas?? y el vestuario del prof. will?? nadaq ue ver con el mariachi de atras,

• akary says:

Yo creo que mas que ofensivo es mas bien estupido la ignorancia… Los mariachis y el traje de matador son dos culturas diferentes, las botas y la camisa con la corbata vaquera tambien los son. Esas botas solo las usan los “narcos” y la camisa con el corbatin son estilo texanas.

Como dicen los estereotipos son ingnorancia de la gente.

16. Cheyenne says:

Wow… some people get offended over everything. I watch shows make fun of Americans all the time, I don’t get offended by it. Just laugh off the stupid stuff they do and get over it.

• sky says:

I can’t believe people sometimes. There were lots of shows long since gone Laugh In, Dean Martin, Love Boat, Fantansy Island just to name a few all of which mmade light(fun) of this or that. Good grief no one or no show or no movie or no comedian will ever meet to every ones political correctness on everything. The story is about a spanich teacher(Ricky Martin) who instills insite to his class. Will uses this format to teach a lesson to the ND. This is a lesson to learn from-let’s see what they learn from what all of this possible hilarious folly might be. Give it break people!!!!!!

17. wordsmith says:

Of all the shows on TV, Glee has the most amazing ability to inspire such intense HATE for questionable content before an episode airs, and then once it does, it’s totally not as big a deal as everyone thought, and it just blows over. Time and time again. It’s fascinating.

18. Celeste says:

I’m from Spain and this is not offensive in the slightest. Stop being so sensitive. As you can infer from the pictures, he’s dressed as a bullfighter because he seems to be doing bullfighting inspired dance.

19. jess says:

I’m Mexican. How is Schue’s outfit offensive to Mexicans when bullfighters are Spanish?

20. gary says:

this already looks stupid!

21. Stephanie says:

I rarely ever comment on things said here, but I just have to say I disagree with the comment made about Glee not being diverse. It has main characters of various ethnic backgrounds, religious backgrounds and sexual orientations. Not to mention it’s beautiful potrayls of handi-capable teens (Lauren Jackson’s Becky). The show is of course fluffy and silly at times, but it is also thought provoking and tear inducing too.

22. akary says:

I don’t know if laugh or feel sorry for the ignorance

23. tintalle says:

Really?? Was it really necessary to dress Mr Shue as a ridiculous bullfighter??

24. Disbelief. says:

I am in disbelief at the complete ignorance that has reared it’s ugly and confused head when some reference to race or nationality is made on American TV (and otherwise – but let’s stick to TV for the sake of coherence).

The media has you trained, Americans, to believe that any mention or depiction of ANY difference between people in ANY way or ANY mention of race or ANY mention of nationality MUST BE RACIST! RACIST RACIST RACIST!

Try to think more clearly and analytically.
    In THIS case, ask your self:

1. Is bullfighting performed/does it originate in Spain? YES.
    2. Are a lot/most bullfighters past and present Spanish? YES.
    3. Do many, MANY people commonly associate bullfighting with Spain? YES.
    4. Is Glee saying that SPAIN = BULLFIGHTING ONLY? NO.
    5. Is Glee saying that SPAIN = many things one of which happens to be bullfighting? YES.
    6. Is this particular ONE part of Spain’s culture and national identity portrayed accurately? YES.
    7. Given the answers to questions 1 – 6, is there any offence to be taken, racism to be observed or insensitivity about which to complain? NO.

Case solved.

Amateur racial/cultural offense detectives, put your magnifying glasses and trench coats away.

Incidentally, the one person saying ‘I am Mexican, I am offended’ is hilarious. Just hilarious. Care to turn on your brain, my friend?

25. Disbelief. says:

Incidentally, as one astute person here has observed, this episode will VERY, VERY sadly (sad day for common sense and rationality) confuse and mix so-called ‘Hispanic’ culture and Spanish culture.

Goodbye Spain! You don’t exist anymore!

America and Australia, you are one and the same.
    Brazil and Portugal, you are one and the same.
    Quebec and France, you are one and the same.

Etc. ad nauseum.

26. Kaibosh says:

This looks about as stupid as its possible to be. Utterly ridiculous.

27. Dee says:

Okay, I haven’t seen the episode yet, so I can only comment on the pictures above.

What is the deal with those boots? Not every Mexican or Mexican-American wears those ridiculous boots!

And, no, they are not as pointy as those pictures depict. Talk about exageration!

But I guess that’s the whole point.

28. Hugo says:

Te apoyo completamente, Tenia grandes expectativas sobre este capitulo y me emocionaba verlo, pero ahoa no estoy seguro de eso

29. Juan says:

It feels like each episode tries to top the last in ridiculousness.

If they were going to do spanish songs, i wish they’d choose some decent ones.

They actually sampled a good one during a non-singing Puck scene way back in season one.

Some variety would be nice, as well as exposure to Spanish singing artists.

Is this episode likely to provide that, even given the fact it’s supposed to be centered around two Spanish teachers and titled “The Spanish Teacher”?

Considering one of the announced musical numbers from the episode is LMFAO’s “Sexy and I Know It,” my doubts run high.

• YepImMexican says:

I agree! I can’t believe they are actually doing ‘La Cucaracha’, there are so many amazing songs, as the Shakira ones form her begginigs (Pies Descalzos, ¿Dónde estás corazón?, ‘Torpe, Ciega, sordomuda’, ) or even any song from Rafael or from the 70’s, they were awesome!!!!

If they made the episode about Mexico, it should’ve rocked if the did any song from Timbiriche!

BTW… I am dying to see everybody dance ‘Sexy and I know it’! But they have to do it as in the video!

30. YepImMexican says:

If you want to over think it so it makes sense, though mariachis are Mexican and bullfighting is Spanish, Mexico City has the largest bullfighting arena in the world…

Besides who cares? The reason I’ll watch this episode is because It will be hilarious to listen to everybody sing in Spanish!!!