American Idol: Who Was Your Favorite From the Houston Auditions? Take Our Poll!

And the award for Best Open Yet Cheerful Disdain of Randy Jackson goes to…Jennifer Lopez!

Yes indeed, the malevolent, cauldron-stirring bruja of Season 10 took the first step toward redeeming herself this week when she responded to an American Idol auditioner’s comment that Randy was the panelist he loved most of all. “He’s not your favorite judge — don’t lie!” blurted J.Lo, almost as if she hadn’t realized (or maybe didn’t care) how dismissive/egotistical her sound bite really was. Now that’s the kind of honesty you want to see at a reality-competition judges’ table!

Alas, what we didn’t get to see was many of the 54 Golden Ticket recipients from the Houston tryouts. Only six successful auditioners, in fact, made it past the editing-room floor, including a chick with a deer head on her bedroom wall, a guy who overcame being born without ears, the girl with the rose-chest tattoo, a college student who did right by Adele, a woman who got a “no” vote from J.Lo, and Season 6 Hollywood Week flameout Baylie Brown.

Anyhow, while I work on a full episode recap that will post Friday morning here at TVLine, I’ll turn things over to you: Who was your favorite from the Houston auditions? Sound off in the comments section, and for all my Idol news, interviews, and recaps, follow me on Twitter @MichaelSlezakTV!

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

1. Zimsui says:

The 28 year old with the rose tats was amazing. Expect her seasoned and confident ability to take her to the top 12 and beyond. This season has some amazing talent. Bailey Brown is back! Yeah!

• Although I like Bailey a lot and do think she deserved to go to Hollywood, are you telling me that Randy Jackson actually remembers her? That was such a sham. Since Season 6 Randy has seen thousands of auditions and contestants, you’re telling me he remembers this one particular girl that got cut early on in Hollywood from 5 years ago? I do remember Bailey’s group mates in Hollywood, but that’s because they went further, but I don’t remember Bailey at all, and for Randy to make it seem like he remembered her so much so that he said “she’s better than last time”, is so ridiculous. Randy is honestly getting worse and worse. Just admit you don’t remember her, and only know her story because the producers handed you the girl’s information. Randy is just brutal. He really is.

• darcy's evil twin says:

Or, perhaps he really remembered her. There are a few contestants (not many) that I really liked during the audition phase from past seasons that were cut early on and I was a bit disappointed. I probably couldn’t name them, but I’m betting if I saw them, heard their names, and heard them sing I might remember them if they really impressed me the first time. One that immediately jumps to mind (not from five seasons ago but from the last one or two) was a woman that was in a band and auditioned with “Barracuda”. She was dynamite but fell flat on her face immediately the first week of Hollywood week.

This is only J-Lo’s second year as a judge but she watched the program and last year she remembered someone that had tried out previously.

I’m not necessarily defending Randy – just pointing out that it could happen.

• chistosa says:

It is also possible that he did not recall her name but watched some of previous clips before she entered the audition room.

• Jen88 says:

He remembered her because it was written on the card in front him. I am apparently much more cynical than others on this board…or a realist. They’re subjective terms.

2. Christina says:

Excited to see that Baylie Brown came back. I liked her 5 years old, here’s hoping that it turns out better this time around.

• darcy's evil twin says:

@Christina – now how can you possibly remember her, LOL?

• shksprsis says:

Actually, I not only remembered her but remembered Simon’s exact comment that she was “commercial with a capital C.” She wasn’t even someone I was a huge fan of and that stuck with me.

• Chistina says:

I remember Baylie very well. She was one of the standout auditions from season 6 and I expected that she would go far, but didn’t. So when I saw her last night I instantly remembered her. I forget many contestants but Baylie I definitely remembered.

• Chrissie Kirk says:

I remember Bailey, for some odd reason, also and always think about her during audition weeks! It is not anything that is impossible. And I’m sure that when Bailey checked back in with them they told Randy “Bailey’s back” and he just went with it. It is TV for gosh sakes and if you think they aren’t manipulating us…

• B.Rich says:

Bailey may be the most shocking Hollywood week elimination ever outside of Josiah Lemming. Easy to remember, I thought she might win that year.

3. Annie says:

My favorite tonight was the show. It wasn’t perfect, but it felt like watching the old American Idol. I still want to see more contestants. I wish we’d gotten to know the ladies who were in the montage, the ones who could actually sing, even if they didn’t get a Golden ticket. The drama shouldn’t have been used as a throwaway segment, because these audition episodes have been lacking real drama, and people who can really sing.

4. MichelleR says:

I think J Lo is right that the boys needed to clean the wax out of their ears.

5. MichelleR says:

Oh, and tonight killed the fantasy of them not making fun of people who clearly read as autistic.

6. raftrap says:

Baylie was my favorite tonight, she did a good job. But tonight’s winner, just like you mentioned, was JLo, Randy is delusional if he thinks that like Simon Cowell produced shows the power of the table is in the far right, cause the lady with the power is right in the middle of the table. And yeah she was dead right about those three girls.

7. Craig says:

I have to agree with Jennifer on the ones they let go and the ones that stayed.

8. skrgd says:

The shows a sham. I took my kids to San Diego a couple years back. They brought a kid who had his ticket and then taped what WA supposed to be a pre-audition interview. Like last night when Ryan wanted to return some normalcy. If you watch you’ll notice two girls who already got tickets. This all supposed to be taking place after they had both auditioned.

• Billy says:

You might want to cut back a little on the cough syrup next time you post. What does Washington state or Ryan’s request for a refund (or exchange) of normalcy have to do with…well, anything?

9. Adela says:

Ive seen the top 24 spoiler list and won’t reveal anything here, but I have to say this: one advantage, I thought, of showing mostly good auditions and only a few bad ones was that we might actually get to see all of the top 24 so everyone has a fair chance. That is not the case, not even close, based on their known audition cities. It stinks that after all these seasons, idol still doesn’t have the decency to show everyone and possibly find a diamond in the rough like kris Allen.
    On another note, loved Kristine.

• Tim says:

Yeah, if only Kris Allen had been shown early he might have had a chance. Oh wait…

• Adela says:

My point is that Kris Allen is one of the lucky few who wasn’t shown early and managed to do well. We didn’t see his audition, he wasn’t the focus of his group round . . . Every other season, those who don’t get early airtime go home first.
        Remember Colton Berry, Garrett Haley, or Amy Davis from Season 7? Neither did America.
        Got those fond memories of Amy Krebs and Nicole Tranquillo from Season 6? Who?? Are we seeing a pattern yet?
        They didn’t get early airtime and therefore didn’t stand a chance in the live shows.
        Kris Allen was basically the only exception, which was why I mentioned him.
        So, Tim, please take the time to READ and UNDERSTAND before making smartass comment.

• darcy's evil twin says:

Tim makes a good point. we never saw another guy’s audition, either. What was his name….oh yea, David Cook. Can someone help me out here – was Kelly Clarkson’s original audition televised on the program?

With the caveat that I’m old and can barely remember why I walk into an adjoining room, the only contestant I can recall that was given the “this person is going to win” treatment from start to finish was Lauren Alaina, and by golly had she been a more trained vocalist and not damaged her vocal chords the suits at AI might have just pulled that one off. If anybody recalls anyone else that got that treatment please chime in! I do recall there have been contestants that they really gave a lot of air time and then I was stunned when they were sent home fairly quickly.

This is not a perfect show by any means. There’s manufactured drama and it’s “scripted” to some extent but I like to think cream does still rise to the top. If someone is really good they’ll get more air time.

• chistosa says:

The “this person is going to win” treatment was given to David Archuleta, Danny Gokey to mention a few.

• Chuckles says:

We saw David Cook’s audition. He didn’t get the full backstory treatment, but it was shown.
          The auditions of both Lee Dewyze and Crystal Bowersox were dispatched with in the exact same quickie montage in Season 9.

• Chrissie Kirk says:

The biggest one for me was CARRIE UNDERWOOD…I’m not a fan of country but when she auditioned I knew then and there she would take the crown, you could see Simon wearing it! Bo Bice came along (and we didn’t see his audition) and that was who I wanted to win but knew it would be Carrie Underwood!

• Tommy says:

Season 6 Jordin Sparks(inside info)

10. Brigette says:

JLo was the voice of reason tonight. PLEASE stay that way this time girl, for the ENTIRE season!

• darcy's evil twin says:

Although Mr. Slezak has Linda Williams on his list of hopefuls I didn’t think she was put through. Did I miss something?
      -I enjoyed Skylar Lane (the country singer that worked in her family’s general store/restaurant) and Baylie Brown, but that tatooted woman, Kristine Osorio, positively blew me away! Her soulful voice reminds me a bit of both Lauren Turner and Jackie Wilson from last season.

11. Tahoe Mike says:

I voted for Baylie, but I wanted to vote for Skylar too. I wasn’t crazy about any of the rest.

12. Tim says:

This season is not looking good. I’ve only seen *maybe* one person who could have made the top 12 last year.

13. Noelbelle says:

How can you say that guy “did right” by Adele? 90% of the power of “Someone Like You” is the emotion Adele puts into it (the rest is her kickass voice). Just because he could hit the actual notes doesn’t mean he hit the “emotional notes.” He sucked all the feeling out of it.

• Toto says:

To be fair, a lot of the emotion of the song is through the accompanying music. getting that emotion acapella is not easy.

14. lee says:

can they please fire randy already? after 10 seasons, hes still as useless as ever. nigel must know people really dont like him, are they only keeping him for nostalgia?

15. Idol fan says:

^ I looked at those spoilers list sites and they are all different for starters and second yuck if true.. zz be a boring season if true

16. ana says:

When J. Lo is the only one listening, something is probably wrong with the show.

17. Nancy says:

I though Linda Williams was awesome! J Lo seem to take it out on Linda! Because things weren’t her way!!