The Office Shocker: NBC Spinning Off Dwight!

Dwight Schrute, your moment has finally arrived.

Our sister site Deadline.com is reporting that NBC is developing an Office spinoff built around Rainn Wilson’s long-suffering second banana, to launch in early 2013.

The in-the-works offshoot, which would be introduced in an Office episode set to air later this season, would find Dwight running his oft-mentioned Schrute family beet farm and bed and breakfast.

For more details on this story, including what impact this will have on Wilson’s future with The Office, head over to Deadline.com.

TAGS: , ,
GET MORE: News

1. Mandy says:

Dwight is funny in small doses and usually at the expense of a joke done by Jim. This show does not seem like a success. I think Dwight should go off into the sunset with the rest of The Office staff.

2. Amy says:

Hey NBC! how about announcing the return date of Community? I’m getting really frustrated now. NBC announces new pilots being picked up and spin offs in process but no word on when Community is comming back

3. Stephen says:

“Dwight” would be a billion times better than another “Whitney.” Which would you rather they make?

4. MaryAnn Whitmer says:

If u’r a fan of “The Office” how in the world can u not LOVE Dwight!! If they did do a spin off I have no doubt he’d still remain @ the office, especially since Michael’s gone. Not even NBC would be that dumb to take Dwight off/out of the show…I hope anyway!

5. MaryAnn Whitmer says:

Now that’s funny, yeah, get Creed to work w/ Dwight & Mose (for Creed just on the weekend). I’m still holding out that this can be a funny spin-off especially if Dwight & all the others stay @ The Office. Come on folks, not every spin-off has to be bad like Joey. My gosh, enough of that already!

6. TigerNightmare says:

I hate Dwight. That character does NOT deserve more screen time than any of the other supporting characters. When you do that, it just gets stupid and annoying, like that awful episode when Dwight was boss until he fired a gun off. But I’m all for this spin-off if it means he’ll be gone from The Office.

7. Nadine says:

I find the Shrute B&B to be a great premise. It’s a long shot that it will work though, as I agree Dwight really is better in small doses. Then again, I thought Parks&Rec wouldn’t work, and I love it.

8. pejz says:

i dont watch the office so my vote dont count

9. Emgee says:

Here’s why this show won’t work: Back in the golden days of “The Office” (Seasons 1-4, one might argue even parts of Season 5), what made Dwight’s character so funny was his delusion of power–hie belief that he was more than what he was, that he had power that he didn’t really have and his attempts at exercising power. As soon as you give Dwight real power, the humor goes away because he’ll go on a power trip and people will have to listen to his outlandish demands.

This is a show that is destined for failure.

10. Annabelle says:

NBC is the perpetual Titanic…they keep making idiotic choices over and over again!! When will it end????? The only hope of survival is to seduce an ABC or CBS top dog to jump ship and get them back on course!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

11. I don’t watch The Office, but from what I know about it, I’m not sure Dwight would make a good main character of a spin-off. And it doesn’t really seem like the sort of thing that would attract new viewers, either. (For example, I don’t like Cheers, but I love Frasier.) This sounds more like if HIMYM spun Barney off into his own show – it just wouldn’t work.

12. Aprilcot26 says:

I wish there was a “maybe” option in the poll. I love ‘The Office’ and I love Dwight, so I would probably give it a shot. But I also gave ‘Joey’ a shot and couldn’t watch past the first episode. I’d hate to see that happen.

13. Liz says:

ok, you need to have an office with the jim vs dwight dynamic. what would we do if jim couldn’t prank dwight in some new and hilarious way at the top of every episode. also as funny as the beat farm stuff has been, it’s funny because it’s used sparingly. less is more people!

14. Dex says:

It would improve my watching experience with The Office if he toddled off. It always seemed like Dwight wandered in from the wacky sitcom on the next stage over instead of actually belonging in The Office.

Yes, everyone on the show is a parody of an office type, but he is so egregiously overwritten, it’s painful.

15. Mari says:

I’d watch as long as he stayed in the office too.

16. Julia says:

YES YES YES. Love Dwight.

17. Clay says:

First Michael now Dwight! God the office sucks now I cant stand Spader and the best chartacter left is leavin too. F@ck that!!!

18. chad says:

Sweet merciful crap, why?

19. Drew says:

I wouldn’t be surprised if season 8 was the last season.

Although i think this is an interesting idea, i just can’t see it doing well.

Why can’t they just add more scenes of the characters lives outside of the office? (something new, yet still familiar)

20. Oma says:

Maybe if they gave Dwight a different character I would watch his show, but otherwise, NO. His character on The Office makes me want to smack him or change the channel.

21. D. Tree says:

As long as it doesn’t rip-off Fawlty Towers…. actually, come to think of it that might be quite good.

22. Tiffany says:

Yes! Dwight is my favorite character, and my favorite episodes are ‘Money’ and ‘Garden Party’-both focused around life on the beet farm. If they end up making this concept into a spinoff, I think it could be very successful and hilarious.