Exclusive: Jason O'Mara Suggests Terra Nova Fixes -- IF the Show Gets a Season 2

The fate of Fox’s Terra Nova is still up in the air, but that’s not stopping star Jason O’Mara from brainstorming ideas to make the show better for a possible second season.

“When we use dinosaurs, I really hope they’re completely kick-ass dinosaurs — no half-hearted dinosaurs,” O’Mara told TVLine at Monday’s New York premiere of his new action-comedy, One For the Money (opening Friday). “Maybe it’s better to have a totally awesome dinosaur in [just] one episode, rather than seeing a dinosaur every episode that isn’t quite there.”

O’Mara also hopes for a little more action anchored in 2149 (a setting he thinks is “awesome”), a lot more mythology, and the introduction of “a really bad, bad, bad guy.” In fact, “we need to find out who the baddest dude is and bring him into our story,” he said, suggesting James Earl Jones for the role, “since Sam Neill is already in Alcatraz.”

Of course, before his ideas can be turned into reality, noted O’Mara, “we need to get picked up first!”

To that end, O’Mara added that Fox president Kevin Reilly recently said he was “making a decision, and everyone just has to stand by.” With the network’s new dramas The Finder and Alcatraz already a few weeks into their runs, and Touch debuting Wednesday, O’Mara said he is hopeful that “really soon they’ll have all the information they need to make their decision.”

Like O’Mara’s ideas for Season 2? Anxious about Terra Nova‘s future? Sound off in the comments!

TAGS: , ,
GET MORE: News, Renewals, Scoop

1. Melissa says:

I love the show just the way it is… A little something for every age group… My kids and I loved watching it and I hope there’s a season 2!!!!!!

2. toni appleman says:

This show is amazing just the way it is…. I was hooked from the season premier. It’s the first thing to grab me since Lost. its suppose to be about family, hope, and the chance for a better life. What is family without teenage drama, and life without a little action. I’m waiting anxiously for a season 2. Those that can’t appreciate the “drama” of the family aspect, should go back to watching I love Lucy or The Golden Girls.

3. RonAus says:

I Love Terra Nova, it is different than most other shows, Please continue with season 2 and beyond.

4. mimi26 says:

Great Show! Please leave on air so we have some family show to watch that isn’t stupid (Family Man, etc can go away!)

5. Jat says:

I love this show! It’s totally awesome! Please bring it back, FOX!!!!! Don’t pull it just because it’s good!!!! I mean seriously, why do the good shows always get pulled?

6. Hannah K says:

I really hope they bring back a season 2!
    Personally, I am 20 years old, and I appreciate being able to watch a TV show that is action-adventure-ish without being overly dark/violent, and I appreciate that it is a TV show that isn’t super dirty nor that relies heavily on the overly popular adultery plot as in most modern TV shows. I love that I can actually watch Terra Nova with my little brother, unlike most sci-fi. I also like the way the young people are portrayed and that the family in this show actually acts like a family, including in the aspect of growing and learning (and real, versus neglectful parenting). So many TV shows go overboard with family dynamics and make the family something that is negative, and make kids too comical or unrealistic. Yes, sometimes kids rebel, but they need not stay “the rebel”. Sometimes young people *like* studying. I get tired of young characters that constantly have to be “on the edge”. As some of my college classmates recently discussed, we are sick of overly materialistic and sexualized culture. Shows like Terra Nova feel more genuine, while still being suspenseful and fun (and admittedly Jurassic-parky, which is a huge plus). I also like that they examine issues we are looking at right now: do we have to go ‘back to the basics’ to have a great society? Can people be happy outside of industrialization? What problems do we encounter in post-modernity, and are they fixable? I love shows that encourage thinking. :)

7. Terri says:

Please bring Terra Nova back. It’s one of my guilty pleasures. I love this show and I, on the other hand, would NOT watch if Jason Segal were in it. I’ll take Jason O’Mara anyday. I saw “One for the Money” today and he was awesome in it.I hope to see more of him. I really enjoy TN and hope the decision to bring it back will be made soon. It has so much potential. C’mon Fox wise up and bring it back. Give this show a chance.

8. carol sayres says:

i really like this show. I’m tired of watching all the same old cop and doctor shows and this is something different that hasn’t been done before.i hope they decide to bring this show back and i will tell all my friends they need to watch this show, and/or comment on here

9. Eric says:

The show is unreal… But i agree it needs a bad bad bad character to come in…. And about the 2149 cut off… perhaps Lucas Taylor being the genious that he is, could somehow create a new way to travel back to 2149 and re-establish the connection with the future or the future could also re-create their side of the time travel machine and return again…. The second option is more likely

The dinosaurs are perfectly fine!! I enjoy the constant battles with them.. And without those battles more of the show becomes drama between the characters.. mainly the children..

10. Sherry Thomas Harnage says:

I really like Terra Nova & hope they have a season 2. It’s a great show, I miss not seeing it. It’s awesome how they got people & dinosours live together the way they did. Great show. It has some for everyone; action, drama, romace, etc.. it has it all. So when is season 2 coming out?

11. Melissa says:

I really like Terra Nova. Sure it’s not the best show out there, but it has the potential to be! Bring on season two!!!!

12. dave landry says:

I have only brodcast stations. Terra Nova was the best thing showing during its time slot on Mon. nights. I really got in to it. Now why cant fox find another night and time slot to continue Terra Nova, granted Touch, and Alcatraz are great too. However there are 7 days a week…hint hint…If you had only broadcast stations, the president of Fox might understand

13. Gerry says:

You got to have a season 2. This was a great show. It was the only reason I watched Fox at all.

14. angie says:

you have to have a second season. i am 13 years old, and this is my favorite show. i bought the 1st season on itunes! and i watched it almost none stop! out of all shows, i never would have thought that terra nova would be canceled. no way am letting that happen! i love Jason O’Mara. i respect him for trying to keep this show going! i salute you O’Mara :)

15. Dan says:

When I started watching Terra Nova I was hoping for another LOST – an “epic” show. I soon realized that Terra Nova wasn’t that but I came to enjoy it for what it was. Overall the show has a lot of promise and I thought the season finale was the best episode yet. Intriguing story lines for a second season and beyond. And as far as the dinosaurs go, less is more unless you truly have the budget to make them look real and not Shrek-like.

16. Deb says:

Terra Nova is the type of tv series I really enjoy. There is still so much potential to the story line. I really hope it will continue. I enjoy the cast, the story line it has had and the possibilities that it can become. Please keep it going!!

17. Keith says:

This show is set in the time of dinosaurs. It should be revamped as a visceral survival tale. There are plenty enough ways to die without having some poorly written conflict arising between people.

18. Tom Afloco says:

Yeah Terra Nova is a great show, and seeing the way the first season ended, I would be very excited to see a second season. But I also think that the family rubbish should not be cut out. All in all, it’s a great show and deserves a second season.

19. Roger says:

This show is really good and I’d think it would be awesome to have a second season come out, and scrolling through the comments above, i think many people would be disappointed if a second season didn’t come out.

20. Lisa says:

I really enjoy watching Terra Nova and have been looking forward to the next season. Having a huge Jurassic Park fan in the family, we love the dinosaur scenes. They look realistic and bring extra excitement to the show. The show is appropriate for all age groups, more than I can say for alot of FOX’s shows.

21. nibs says:

2149 (the future) opened a wormhole in the badlands i thought? So access has not been cut off completely.

22. Gabi1996 says:

I wish they will make another Terra Nova season :)

23. Jennifer says:

I really like Terra Nova & hope they bring it back for a second season. The show is a nice change from all the cop & doctor shows on tv now. I’ve read a lot of the comments on what people think the show needs & I think alot of the ideas are really good. I also agree with the ones that said that the show needs a really defined “bad guy”. I like the drama and the small roamance story line they have going on mixed in with the day to day survial. The show has a very human feel.

24. Chuck says:

Why change it? This is a great show! I will be very disappointed if it does not continue

25. André Nova• says:

I like the idea Jason has, there does need to be a kiss ass dino, but I think there maybe needs to be a little more Dinos I mean Terra Nova is based in the dinosaur era!! Way way In the past! So many animals and creatures were alive back then. I think they need that to be stated.. But other then that his ideas are great and I back him up!!! I can’t wait for the new season cuz there will be another… Terra nova rules and it needs to be picked up again. Please…

26. Jen says:

I hope theres a second season i got totally hooked on terra nova I’ll be pissed if they cancel the show

27. Dylan says:

I agree with Jason O’Mara that the Dino’s nead inprovment and more action in 2149 and to Bring in some part time guests.

28. Ludwig says:

BRING IT BACK!!! PLEASE!!!! I love it!

29. Hope says:

I really hope FOX will continue on with Tera Nova. This has become our family’s favorite show and I would be very disappointed to hear that it will not continue. Bring on the dinosaurs and all the drama cause I love it!

30. Guy says:

Everytime I enjoy a show on Fox, and look forward to the next season, it gets canceled. Fox is close to losing another family to the movies channels.

31. Allison says:

how dare you!?

32. barrett says:

There is a shortage of good sci fi shows right now, Terra Nova filled the gap for me that Stargate once did. I watched Stargate religiously and bought all the dvds. Stargate is gone, Star Trek is gone, BattleStar Galactica is gone, Firefly is gone, WE NEED THIS SHOW!!! I can’t bring myself to watch another CSI or NCIS or Bones!!! I need my science fiction fix! I think there is a lot of potential with the 18th century ship in the badlands. Being cut off as they are, really will force the settlers to be more resourceful in building a new civilisation.

33. Cole says:

You guys can’t cancel terra nova!! I’ve been so looking forward to season 2

34. nibs says:

Echoeing comments above, I too would love to see season 2.
    I too am a little fatigued with Detective, hospital etc shows and found aTerra Nova to be refreshingly different. The dino’s were good enough for me. Comp’ generated animals are exellent these days.
    I feel they have done well in season 1 to set the scene and cast. I love O’Mara in his role.
    I would like to see little Zoe be shown as the person to eventually bring peace after serious long war and chaos. She was shown as a baby that should not have been. But parents were strongly committed to giving her life against the odds,. You have also begun teasers for what is in the ‘bad lands’. The writers must have had ideas of where they were headed, bring new writers in to help take the story line further.

35. nibs says:

I have been watching the re-runs. Love Terra Nova and want to see them bring season 2. The bad lands to show evidence of Zoe becoming peace bringer between new nations not yet formed. Taylers son finding a way to create a worm hole that connects to different timelines. More deceptive trouble makers. Few more sixer spies. And Terra Nova spies in sixer camp. Few more issues with space debris falling to earth. Both in future and past. Dino’s getting into Hope Plaza. And getting loose in the future on newcomerus. Want to see more issues of time line change as Taylers son operates his new device to open wormhole to other time lines.
    I could suggest more. Hope I’ve given you ideas to move forward.