Exclusive: Jason O'Mara Suggests Terra Nova Fixes — IF the Show Gets a Season 2

Get More: News, Renewals, Scoop

The fate of Fox’s Terra Nova is still up in the air, but that’s not stopping star Jason O’Mara from brainstorming ideas to make the show better for a possible second season.

“When we use dinosaurs, I really hope they’re completely kick-ass dinosaurs — no half-hearted dinosaurs,” O’Mara told TVLine at Monday’s New York premiere of his new action-comedy, One For the Money (opening Friday). “Maybe it’s better to have a totally awesome dinosaur in [just] one episode, rather than seeing a dinosaur every episode that isn’t quite there.”

O’Mara also hopes for a little more action anchored in 2149 (a setting he thinks is “awesome”), a lot more mythology, and the introduction of “a really bad, bad, bad guy.” In fact, “we need to find out who the baddest dude is and bring him into our story,” he said, suggesting James Earl Jones for the role, “since Sam Neill is already in Alcatraz.”

Of course, before his ideas can be turned into reality, noted O’Mara, “we need to get picked up first!”

To that end, O’Mara added that Fox president Kevin Reilly recently said he was “making a decision, and everyone just has to stand by.” With the network’s new dramas The Finder and Alcatraz already a few weeks into their runs, and Touch debuting Wednesday, O’Mara said he is hopeful that “really soon they’ll have all the information they need to make their decision.”

Like O’Mara’s ideas for Season 2? Anxious about Terra Nova‘s future? Sound off in the comments!

Comments (101)

• The most important thing is to hire a new showrunner.

Comment by Dryden – January 25, 2012 11:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Jason O’Mara kinda looks like Jason Segel in that picture. I’d watch Terra Nova if Jason Segel was in it.

Comment by Thomas – January 25, 2012 11:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’d watch anything with Jason Segel in it, and I’ll continue to watch Terra Nova, even if he’s not in it.

Comment by Nadine – January 25, 2012 07:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I know this is probably crass, but Jason is a dang Fox. Total GILF!

Comment by Jenny – January 25, 2012 11:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • why why why do you people like that schlub? i will never understand it. he’s mediocre at everything. there is nothing special about him at all. i have no problem with him having a career, but saying you’d watch something just bc of him is going too far! Jason O’Mara is at least attractive…. AND he has a hot accent. what does Jason Segel have? just being a schlub. but you guys are probably schlubs yourself and that’s why you have an affinity for schlubs. me, however, i am not so narcissistic that i want to see people as boring and mediocre as my own self on television.

Comment by hohum – January 25, 2012 10:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really liked Alcatraz, but I think it needs a bit of tweaking. The changes they made to The Finder mad eit worse, not better, so I don’t thikn that will be renewed (even if it airs it’s full run). I like Sutherland, but Touch is dead in the water based on it’s concept. If people can’t follow Fringe, they’re not going to give Touch a second look. I think that leaves Terra Nova – which I think has legs, if not focus – a shot.

Comment by Tarc – January 25, 2012 11:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hope its picked up! And I think O’Mara has it right. It needs more backstory. And a good baddie. Though now that they are cut off from 2149, I’m not sure how there would be more stories there. It would be cool to flashback to 2149 though.

Comment by John – January 25, 2012 11:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Great Scott, do you mean flashback … to the future??? :-)

Comment by ESLKid75 – January 25, 2012 02:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The show did get continously better, and I actually think they’ve worked out a lot of the kinks; the finale was spectacular fun. I would love for them to bring back Washington in some way; maybe she was on life-support and they have some futuristic treatment.

The smartest thing Fox has done is run repeats which has allowed more people to experience the show and become new fans. I hope they will keep the family drama and wholesomeness, even if we love it when dinos gobble up bad guys.

Stephen Lang is terrific, I so ship him and Mira, and I hope they will make warm, loving Fire Spears together in season 2.

Comment by Plum – January 28, 2012 10:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I actually thought Terra Nova would be fine in the past with the cheesy dinosaurs if they just made it be Prehistoric 90210 – with teenagers only. At least it would be “something” that way…

Comment by Donna – January 25, 2012 11:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I had the opposite reaction. I think it would be fine the way it is if they focused less on the kid dramas.

Comment by Ari – January 25, 2012 12:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • +1

I understand why they do the teen angst crap (to appeal to the younger demographic), but IMHO it really drags down the show.

I really wish they’d leave that kind of crap to The CW, as much as possible.

Comment by Pete – January 26, 2012 02:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Our family (4 households ages 8 – 60) love the Terra Nova TV show. Best series to come on TV in a long time. I am sick and tired of law and court type shows, and it is good for family viewing. Terra Nova offers adventure and excitement with the dinosaurs and series story line. This is an exceptional new TV show that is worth sitting down to watch. The last show was a great ending to the season. Can’t wait for season 2. If this series does not continue it will be very disappointing. TV is about entertaining people and this show does just that. Stephen Lang plays his role extremely well, they got the right guy for the job. Stephen Spielburg has never let us down yet on delivering great shows of high quality and entertainment. This is just another winner to add to his list of accomplishments.

Comment by Victoria – February 8, 2012 01:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’d like the bad guy to be someone who has been living in the Badlands for years, not someone from the future.

Maybe the descendant of people that found themselves in Terra Nova before the wormhole was discovered.

Bring some savages to fight the people from the future.

Comment by Michael Sacal – January 25, 2012 11:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • cant wait to see what they come up with Terra Nova, just as long as they do…the badlands having had decendents would be a great idea…

Comment by Lena – January 26, 2012 05:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Personally, I like the family & character driven scenes much better than the action.

Comment by IrishSharon08 – January 25, 2012 11:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Just pick it up for next Mid season let them get 13 in the can with the time they need in post so that this summer/next fall we can watch it. I personally just watched the first episode because I didn’t want to invest in it since I knew it would get cancelled after the first season.

Comment by TheReasonsY – January 25, 2012 11:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Jason has good ideas, they also need solid storytelling and maybe leave a little of that family friendly stuff behind. Show the Shannon’s as a family of course but more action would be good. I hope it gets a second season, the show is still finding it’s footing but the potential is there and the cast is so lovely, they deserve to come back for a 2nd season.

Comment by Stef – January 25, 2012 11:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The problem with this show is the writing I think. I totally understand WHY they want to make the kids the heart of the show, look at how successfully Falling Skies did it! Maybe it’s the actors portraying the kids, but I really think it is the writing. I *want* to identify with the kids, afterall this past/future was accomplished FOR THEM – so that they would have a better life than the ones they left behind. But something just isn’t pulling me in.

Comment by sil – January 25, 2012 11:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I think the kids aren’t connecting with the audience because they’re stereotyped. You have the braniac child, the rebellious teen, and the sweet innocent little one. I have to say I liked the son better after he seemed to get over the teen-angst angry-at-my-dad-and-the-world schtick. There was at least a little growth in the character there. The older daughter I liked more when she started to a little against the brainiac mold, such as in her courtship with the young soldier – which is a little more against type than if she was in a romance with one of the scientists in the colony or another braniac teen, thought this romance plays into a “like mother like daughter” scenario when you see that mom is an intelligent doctor and researcher who fell for a cop. There isn’t much to do with the younger daughter than be sweet and cute – unless they throw something at her like a life-threatening or life-altering illness, but I can see that this character could be used as a “Timmy-fell-in-the-well” she’s in danger plot device often – and I really hope they don’t do that because then it’s predictable.

I think that the kids can be better. You have young people put into a seriously adult situation – the survival of the human race. They’re going to have to grow up fast and I think the writers used Skye to that effect to show a teen on her own having to work and be a part of the colony. I think if (hopefully) they get a season 2, with the colony cut off from 2149, we may see more growth from the kids because they’re going to have to step up even more. There is going to be more demand for them to be trained in more areas because there aren’t going to be more supplies or settlers coming in regularly. We may get more “Robinson Crusoe” in a season 2, and I think that may be more appealing than watching the characters kinda just sit around in cushy digs with almost all the same technological comforts of home.

Comment by Melissa – January 25, 2012 12:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Season 2 PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment by SonR – January 25, 2012 11:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I thought Terra Nova got better as it passed and I loved the finale. Maybe not everyone likes it, but it has viewers, and I think it has great potential. I will definitely watch season 2 if it gets a season 2.

Comment by Ariel – January 25, 2012 11:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • So agree!

Comment by Nadine – January 25, 2012 07:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • i agree 100% I found myself enjoying it and it was fun for the kids too. I really hope it is picked up for a second season

Comment by heverjean – January 30, 2012 04:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Anything built can be re-built…so the cut off from 2149 could just be temporary. They had a good ending to this season and investigating that could be a good start for season 2. Simple flying machines like hot air balloons or ultralight planes could discover ancient cityscapes (Maya/Inca) and use “discovery & intrigue” rather than a bad, bad, guy. There is a whole new world out there and we have only seen a few hundred square miles so far.

Comment by TinCan – January 25, 2012 11:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think Jason o’Mara looks like Matt Morrison in steroids, if terranova doesn’t get a 2nd season, he should be in glee as Mr Shue’S BROTHER

Comment by juan ar – January 25, 2012 11:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I thought the show was cheesy fun when it was on. And Stephen Lang’s scenery chewing always gave me a chuckle. And the day-after comments definitely made for a great Tuesday. :) However, I don’t miss the show now that it is gone.

Comment by Pam – January 25, 2012 12:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Terra nova is my new favorite show and I love it. I will not be happy unless there is a season 2,3,4, and 5!!!

Comment by Jessica Horne – January 25, 2012 12:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Kill the Shannon family and get rid of all the fluff.

Have Jim become some sort of prehistoric Jack Bauer, always having to take on the bad guys, and victory always coming at the cost of his own happiness.

Soon as you get rid of the family stuff and make it less Disney and more hardcore, it’s just fluff, but what do you expect from Brannon Braga. Everything he touches gets canceled or is pretty poor!

Having said that Commander Taylor is a great character.

Comment by gavin – January 25, 2012 12:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love Terra Nova it just needs a little tweaking. I like the idea of bringing in a total badass bad guy and pull Lucas back into the colony because there is more storyline potential that way. And I was liking the Lucas character by the end.

Comment by Renee – January 25, 2012 12:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Best idea: just have Jason O’Mara naked in every episode! He’s gorgeous.

Comment by jrs – January 25, 2012 12:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Kevin Reilly doesn’t need script ideas. He needs to know that people are into the premise of the show. I liken the show to the original Star Trek. It wasn’t a “big” success when it first aired. It took a little time before it caught on. NBC gave up on it too quickly. Look what happened after word got out and people started watching the re-runs. I like the premise. I believe it has legs. Yes, the scripts could be polished up a bunch. Season one’s are always the roughest because of character development and actors truly understanding their character’s roles.

Comment by Scottj – January 25, 2012 01:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hope it gets renewed. The show is amazing.

Comment by Carl – January 25, 2012 01:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If crappy “reality” shows get picked up and renewed for no good reason there’s no reason not to renew something this interesting.

Comment by Jennifer – January 25, 2012 01:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It has been very well received here in France on Canal + (=cable) with 1.5 millions which means like 7.5 millions for like HBO. Let’s hope that will lead Terra Nova in the renewal direction so that it gets a chance to improve its potentially awesome story :)

Comment by ben – January 25, 2012 01:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Good acting, but the teeny-bopper and little kid story lines that are mixed in are embarrassingly bad. I kept hoping this show would become more like Battlestar Galactica, but instead, it kept veering off into 90210 territory. This show is the classic example of what happens when you try to please everyone…. It’s really sad, b/c the show had promise.

Comment by Coolerking – January 25, 2012 01:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love Terra Nova, even if they didn’t revise it. What happened to the need for shows that families could watch together? Everyone wants blood, drama, and sex but personally between reality tv and the news, I’m inundated, so Terra Nova was a nice break at a chance to enjoy something mostly innocent again. I really hope that Terra Nova is given a shot and that if they are going to keep the children’s story lines in tact, move the show earlier so the kids can actually watch. I didn’t find the show disappointing, I found viewers reactions disappointing and very telling of where our society is headed.

Comment by K – January 25, 2012 01:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I heard the average episode budget is about $4m. Thats just insane. There is no way it’s going to be renewd unless both AlcatraZ and Touch flop hard. And Alcatras is already doing well btw.

Actually, I dont mind watching season 2 as long as its renewal plans dont mess up with Fringe or Alcatras.

Comment by valezza – January 25, 2012 01:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Terra Nova is a great show and deserves a chance.

Comment by kirads09 – January 25, 2012 01:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I thoroughly enjoyed the show. I am surprised that this show isn’t on the Syfy channel though. People do need to be slightly less critical of certain things, mainly the dinosaurs. This isnt a big budget feature, folks. The Dino effects are good enough. The characters are pretty solid, and Jason O’Mara is a great lead. There is definitely room for improvement, but isn’t that true for most shows? It needs a full second season to develop fully, then if it’s not spectacular by then, then it deserves to be canceled. But give it a chance first.

Comment by Jeff – January 25, 2012 01:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Terra Nova is trying to walk a very fine line. There is some potential to get into BSG-like territory if the show turns very dark and kills off many characters. However, this really is a family show at heart and the overall tone reminds me a lot of shows like Lost in Space.

I agree that they need to write in a really great long-term villain – someone that is just so joyfully evil it makes you smile. Someone that the audience will really love to watch do horrible things to the main characters, in all their scene stealing, scenery chewing glory. Jackie Earle Haley could do it, but someone like Christopher Eccleston would be perfect!

Comment by JD – January 25, 2012 02:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Let him have at least one shirtless scene per episode and maybe even tighter jeans! Yum! He’s got a REALLY nice package.

Comment by King – January 25, 2012 02:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I personally enjoyed the show alot!!!! I connected with the characters very well. I support the idea of a new bad guy who is like no other. The season finale was awesome!!! With so many questions left at the end of the finale I am very excited for a second season! The special effects are great and this show has a lot of potential. If Fox is smart they will make a second season Alcatraz and touch don’t seem all that good. My family really enjoys watching THIS show. I hope there will be a second season!

Comment by corey – January 25, 2012 02:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • My husband forced me to watch this show with him. It was pretty painful up until Lucas appeared. Ashley Z. makes the show. I could care less about the Shannon family. They need more conflicted characters like Mira and Lucas. Kiddy dinasour dramas belong in the Saturday morning timeslot.

Comment by Anna – January 25, 2012 02:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I thought I was the only one into Ashley Z. Man is just so very watchable.

Comment by Renee – January 25, 2012 03:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • They should make it into a prehistoric Breaking Bad

Comment by Hibsta – January 25, 2012 03:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • We really enjoyed the show – the last episodes were much better than some of the early ones. The Badlands does leave alot of options for the storyline which I hope we get a chance to see. A evil guy who has been living in the badlands for a while good make a good storyline. Come of Fox, give us a 2nd season. We really didnt care for Alcatraz and are hoping for this to be renewed.

Comment by Diane – January 25, 2012 03:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree with Diane and the others who are anxious to see a second season. Don’t leave us hanging just when it was getting interesting!

Comment by Sandy – January 25, 2012 04:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really hope we get a second season i like everything about it,keep the shonnons there great alot better than others”twilight” Terra Nova could make a movie and it would be a hit just don’t use who made”the movie that should not be named”

Comment by kayla – January 25, 2012 03:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Get rid of all the kids and I’ll go back to watching it. And make that dopey commune-style living less comfortable.

Comment by Jon – January 25, 2012 04:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I have always liked Stephen Lang but he is just way tooooooo intense in this show. My favorite character is the oldest daughter. As an actress she is cute, talented and should have a bright future ahead of her. In the first few episodes I liked the Skye character but they lost me with the traitor storyline.

Comment by Steve T – January 25, 2012 04:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Terra Nova is an incredible show. It is nice to finally watch a show that isn’t pornographic and still has a good plot. I have loved being able to watch a television show with my whole family without having to turn the channel when sexual content arises. There are plenty of television shows full of blood, gore, and sex, and I would hate to see this one changed for the audience who is seeking that type of entertainment. My hope is that they will continue the show and keep developing the great story-line that is already in place.

Comment by Caleb – January 25, 2012 05:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • and how about some shirtless Dean Geyer

Comment by mike – January 25, 2012 06:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • please renew the show..alot of the scifi are cut out way to soon..you need to sometimes grow into a situation..dinos are okey with me..as one of the coments said, a robinson crusoe type of life might be a idea..action is a must..but you have to have enough character develoment. for us to care about what happens to these people..and you have done that…do less kid stuff..however..teens can bring alot too..remember Red Dawn…so bring back the show…season two

Comment by Brenda – January 25, 2012 07:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m sick of cop/medical/legal dramas so I really want this show to succeed but they need to replace the showrunners and the entire writing staff, completely. There’s no getting around the fact that they mismanaged this series.

Comment by Tessa – January 25, 2012 08:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It needs to be picked up! Finally great to have a show that doesn’t have all the language..it’s truly the great “family” show, which I love

Bring it back!!

Comment by Moriah frazier – January 25, 2012 09:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t get the complaints about the dinosaurs, they either look great or fine to me, and fine is good enough for tv.

Comment by Nadine – January 26, 2012 04:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Terra Nova is great! And the best thing about it, its not a reality show. It seems like they are taking over the world. Terra Nova to me is a cross between Indiana Jones and Jurassic Park made into a show, and I think its fantastic, keep up the good work and imagination. GIVE US SEASON 2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment by Justin – January 26, 2012 08:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I left the show after 4 episodes so I don’t mind if it is renewed or not. I think the main problem of the series isn’t the dinosaurs.

Comment by Amaia – January 26, 2012 08:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really hope it comes back , I loved it! It was something different than the usual , doctor,cop and reality crap that’s been on forever.

Comment by Beth – January 26, 2012 01:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • You guys won’t believe this but about a month ago, I had some really awesome ideas for a season two of Terra Nova and I made a RPG forum and now it’s becoming a fanfiction series. But anyway, two of my creations was a Phoenix leader who goes mad and is almost like Joker from Batman and is homicidal. He takes over while Lucas recovers. His name is Johan Straush or The Slasher. My second idea was that there’s another rip in time out there in the Badlands and it’s a race against time for Taylor and Terra Nova to stop the Phoenix soldiers from getting back to 2149 and continuing their mission to destroy Terra Nova. And, yes, I twitter with Jason O’Mara, but I haven’t posted any of my storylines on Twitter. Apparently, Jason and I think alike. Also, if anyone wants to join in the forum. Just go to the link.

Comment by Dan – January 26, 2012 02:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It’s fanfiction.net btw. Just click on the tab that says Forum. Go to T and scroll down until you see Terra Nova. Mine is called Terra Nova RPG: A little different.

Comment by Dan – January 26, 2012 02:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • There better be a second season! Great show!

Comment by NIck – January 26, 2012 03:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Terra Nova is a fantastic show.. Really started to gain momentum by season 1 end. Would be fantastic for TN to continue into season 2 and beyond, who knows how good it could get.

Comment by Mark Schenk – January 26, 2012 03:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post