Chuck's Final Mission Intel, Part 1: There Will Be Blasts from the Past

Get More: Finales, Previews

The two-hour series finale of NBC’s Chuck (airing Friday at 8/7c) — as it addresses present dangers facing Team Bartowski and ultimately looks to the future — is also “very much haunted by seasons past,” says show cocreator Chris Fedak.

“This is not only a finale for Season 5, but also five seasons of television,” Fedak shared with reporters during a set visit at the time his cast was filming the series-ender. “So we’re going to be bringing back a lot of things…. It’s a [finale] that has a lot of echoes.”

Added series lead Zachary Levi, “[What has happened with Sarah] reset the clock in a lot of ways, and you find our heroes almost like you found them in the beginning of the show, which is a really cool ‘full circle’ type of thing.”

Chuck Flashback! We Spy 28 Memorable Guest Stars

For one, among the announced encores, Mark Pellegrino will briefly reprise his Season 2 role of an unnamed Fulcrum Agent, in the finale’s very first scene. Explaining that rather random return, Fedak said it’s “one of the deepest-into-the-Matrix callbacks…. We touch upon [the question of] what’s going on with Fulcrum and the Ring these days, so the episode begins on a private jet and Mark’s in there.”

Also, Linda Hamilton will be seen again as Chuck and Ellie’s mother, Mary Bartowski. “We’re really happy to have her back,” Fedak raved.

Fedak & Co. had actually penciled in a “cavalcade” of such cameos from seasons gone by, when he and Josh Schwartz first mapped out the finale. But, he said, “The episode was just so jam-packed with story and big things, we didn’t have much time” to accommodate them all. (That said, we wouldn’t be surprised if this innately covert series sneaked in some other returning guest stars.)

Other callbacks on tap — as Chuck, Casey, Morgan et al scramble to find Sarah, who unbeknownst to them has lost five years’ worth of memories as a result of uploading the Intersect (and then having bad guy Nicholas Quinn exploit its mind-wiping glitches) — include more superficial flourishes.

“It wouldn’t be an episode unless we saw Yvonne in a cat suit [or] an evening gown, or wearing some of the other outfits she’s worn from time to time,” Fedak hinted. (Strahovski herself teased on Twitter that Sarah’s infamous Wienerlicious uniform will put in an appearance.)

Yvonne Strahovski Surprised By Chuck‘s Series Finale: ‘It’s Satisfying, But Almost Tragic’

Just the very image of Sarah once again kicking some butt in the outfit Strahovski used to say was surprisingly conducive to hand-to-hand combat suggests that, somewhere at the end of the dark tunnel that is Chuck‘s final, heartfelt mission, awaits a beacon of light moments.

Strahovski confirmed as much during the set visit, saying, “What is happening between Chuck and Sarah is going to weigh heavy on people’s hearts [and] there’s a definite element of sadness that we have to go through to get to the final moments.” (After all, it should be noted that the finale’s first hour is titled “Chuck vs. Sarah,” gulp.) But come the very end, she promised, “There’s the funny stuff!” (With reporting by Vlada Gelman)

Coming Thursday to TVLine.com — Chuck‘s Final Mission Intel, Part 2: There Will Be Big Fun (and Big-Budget Action!)

Tags: ,

Comments (27)

• Nice, but I think she has stated that the hot dog costume was actually conductive to fighting, as she wears flats and shorts under the skirt.

Comment by Lev – January 25, 2012 09:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think maybe I should watch the pilot again. That may make all these homages even more fun – and bittersweet.

Comment by Valerie – January 25, 2012 10:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What a fun series! It would not surprise me in two or three years if NBC could afford to put on a show will this high quality talent.

I am going to miss Chuck’s adventures. The Romance was always key.

Comment by JHarnes – January 25, 2012 10:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I spent much of the weekend watching a marathon of my favorite episodes (would be watching all 89 this week if I had the time), going to be horribly sad when the finale ends.

Comment by Brendan – January 25, 2012 10:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m sooooo sad. I love this show and am SAD that it’s about to end. :S :’( :@ I’m hope they end it with a happy ending for all. ie…Sarah is pregnant with Chuck’s child. Casey & Gertrude, Morgan & Alex will leave on a good note. Lester finally grows up and becomes more like the new Jeff. Ellie & Awesome& Clara add to their little family. ;) :D Can’t wait until Friday night to watch the end of 5 years of laughter, tears of joy and entertainment. ;) :S :’(

Comment by Vannesa – January 25, 2012 11:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Glad this show is finally wrapping up. Way past it’s prime! The only thing good this season was Cheryl Ladd.

Comment by Scott – January 25, 2012 11:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • There’s this thing called a remote control. It changes the channels for you. Use it.

Comment by Brooke – January 25, 2012 03:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Why don’t you get over yourself…Perhaps I happen to still want to watch. Voicing my opinion is a right if I need remind you…

Comment by Scott – January 25, 2012 04:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • At least the CHUCK finale is upon us loyal fans. I’ve been watching since season 1 and do so look forward to seeing how Chuck & Sarah will say goodbye after 5 years of adventures! One of the best prime time tv shows is about to end and I’m sad! Lorenzo

Comment by lorenzo d. – January 25, 2012 11:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The best final would have Chucks dad come back from the dead to reunite with his mother… and fix Sarah

Comment by Ron – January 25, 2012 04:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • :*(
    Sux I lost track 3 episodes back and since there’s no way to watch online/ catch up, I’ll have to wait ’til reruns to watch the end.

Here’s hoping this means bigger and better for Yvonne in the future, and not sci/fi oblivion like poor Tabrett Bethell.

5 Years…not bad for a little struggling spy show :D

Comment by Tusk – January 25, 2012 12:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yvonne had a moderately sized part in “The Killer Elite”, a fairly recent big screen action flick, so her career isn’t stagnating yet!

Comment by Txtraveler – January 27, 2012 10:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Please oh please let there be a Scott Bakula sighting in there!!!

After all – he was shot and killed in the warehouse where the Ring brought Shaw back from the dead… and there are all of these intersects floating around.

Comment by Trista Blair – January 25, 2012 12:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m hoping for that too! I always thought there could be a chance he was alive considering he was shot in a place with plenty of high-tech medical equipment…

Comment by Katelyn – January 25, 2012 05:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • man i’ve always hoped this too!! That would be awesome if he saved sarah and brought her back to chuck :)

Comment by Jessica – January 25, 2012 06:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • You would think that since NBC is having terrible ratings that they would extend “Chuck” for another three years. That would only be another 60 episodes.

Comment by JoeJoe – January 25, 2012 01:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m not sure I like how this all sounds. I thought the final episode would be more of a find out all of the secrets behind why the intersect loves Chuck and how it always follows him and lead to Chuck and Sarah escaping the spy world and buying their beloved house. Instead it’s turning into another obstacle they must overcome in order for them to actually speak to one another.

I’d just rather the last episode be Chuck and Sarah reminiscing rather than Chuck doing it alone.

Comment by Tim – January 25, 2012 04:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • So you want to see why an inanimate object loves a man so much? I think if what you described here actually happened the show would be losing viewers even faster than it did going into this season; no one would be watching anymore.

Comment by Jason C – January 25, 2012 07:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I was wondering if Anna Wu would be coming back, possibly having been recruited by someone as a spy as Casey wanted to when he saw her fight at the Buy More. Don’t know that I’d want to see the return of Harry Tang though.

Comment by Mary – January 25, 2012 04:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • “Linda Hamilton will be seen again as Chuck and Ellie’s mother, Mary Bartowski”

Ugh. For some reason, there was no character I hated more than Chuck’s mom. I would much rather see his dad or Bryce again.
    I’m glad to hear Sarah’s Weinerlicious outfit is coming back. I’m looking forward to the ‘homages’ to earlier seasons.

Comment by Mandy – January 25, 2012 05:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I just have a really REALLY weird feeling she will still lose her memory but their relationship will go back to like it was at the beginning of the series where she has a tiny crush on Chuck and he will just have to go with it etc.

Comment by Andrew – January 25, 2012 05:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Why couldn’t chuck just give sarah the watch that helps supress the side effects?

Comment by Jessica – January 25, 2012 06:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Ummm, have you seen the last season?! This version of the Intersect is corrupt, it’s not just an issue of needing the governor to fix it’s issues on the mental instabilities.

Comment by Jason C – January 25, 2012 07:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So sad to see Chuck ending even if it is time. So glad the show’s fans rallied behind the it and it is getting a proper ending. I am sure I will be teary by the end.

Comment by Amy – January 25, 2012 07:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post