Pilot Scoop: The CW Orders Quirky Medical Drama From Gilmore Girls Producer

Get More: News, Pilots

In what sounds like a cross between Scrubs and Grey’s Anatomy, The CW has ordered First Cut, an hour-long dramedy pilot from former Gilmore Girls co-producer Jennie Snyder Urman that centers on a young female doctor.

Here’s the official logline: Glad to leave her nerdy past behind for a fresh start in the adult professional world, a newly minted doctor discovers that, sadly and comically, life at the hospital where she works is no different than high school.

Urman — whose credits also include 90210 and Men in Trees — penned the script and serves as an exec producer along with Dan Jinks (Pushing DaisiesTraveler).

Tags: ,

Comments (45)

• Wow does this ever sound…completely derivative. Granted, really good writers can make been-there-done-that material work, but so far I’m not really impressed with most of the CWs pilot orders.

Comment by kat – January 24, 2012 04:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • They’re going to have a hard time meshing with the rest of their schedule: to be about doctors, they have to be of a certain age (unless it’s a bunch of Doogie Howsers). Are they going to be zombie doctors, or leprechauns, or something?

Comment by CJ – January 25, 2012 05:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Looks like The CW just found a show to be paired with HART OF DIXIE….therefore, please please please renew HoD for a second season!!

Comment by K – January 24, 2012 04:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • If it’s light family material, I think Hart of Dixie may be doomed… seriously, how many quirky young doctor women do they need on their network?
      If, on the other hand, it leans toward the more serious side of the dramedy spectrum and appeals to an adult crowd, I could see it being paired with Ringer in an attempt to form a “grownup night” for the network. I expect a lot of theme nights. Monday, family night (Hart of Dixie and something else). Wednesday, grownup night (no teen dramas). Thursday, reserved for teenage girls who want to sleep with murderous demons (Beauty and the Beast and TVD). Friday will be dudes with guns and comic book fans (Supernatural and Deadman)

My prediction anyway. Useless, but fun.

Comment by Drew – January 24, 2012 09:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I agree completely. I like Hart of Dixie and think it would be better if the fact that Zoe is a doctor was heard but not seen. I think the random medical dramas tend to bring down the otherwise light and fluffy appeal of the show. If this new show is also fluff like HoD then I bet HoD is DOA at the end of the season. If it is more serious I coudl see it being paired with Ringer. I do not agree thought about you assessment of TVD. It is not just for teen girls but for anybody who like a fast paced supernatural drama. I think that they should keep Secret Circle and TVD together. They are well matched on Thursdays.

Comment by My thoughts exactly – January 25, 2012 06:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • TVD is aimed at a younger female audience. If you move into adult dramas, you’re moving into an audience that cares less about the steamy passion of it all and starts to wonder about the murder and rapes that Elana’s love interests commit on a fairly regular basis. Now, you could say that it’s not just for teenagers and also isn’t supposed to be thought about too much, and I guess that’s valid. But I think that the target demo is still the younger female audience.
          It’s not like Supernatural, which targets a (more male) slightly older audience.

People always talk about how quickly TVD goes through storylines. I don’t really know if that’s a good thing or a bad thing. They tell stories at a fast pace. But at the same time, there are issues like the fact that a teenage girl is trying to decide between dating the murderer/rapist or the guy who literally rips his victims apart. By hurrying through those storylines, none of the death or murders carry any weight. Jenna died, leaving Jeremy as Elana’s only family, and there don’t seem to be many ripples or lasting emotions about that. Hell, Caroline might hook up with the guy who did it and people the audience is cheering!

But I suppose all of that is another topic, not really about demographics.

Comment by Drew – January 25, 2012 11:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • They should pair this show with Heart of Dixie. Unless…*gulp*…it’s to replace HoD. :(

Comment by I Heart Chuck Bass (and Damon Salvatore) – January 24, 2012 04:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • HART! Darn, I always do that.

Comment by I Heart Chuck Bass (and Damon Salvatore) – January 24, 2012 04:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Boo it sounds like a rip off of Hart of Dixie just not that she moves down south. Keep Hart of Dixie

Comment by fernando – January 24, 2012 04:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • People don’t watch Hart of Dixie. Maybe they should hire someone who can act like a doctor. And this time, lets not put your doctor in Jimmy Choo heels during surgery.

Comment by Captain – January 24, 2012 08:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I’m not a Rachel Bilson fan in any way, but the show has a lot of quirky characters who have grown on me and who have made Zoey(and Rachel) even more than tolerable. I like the show.

Comment by Michael – January 25, 2012 04:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I find Rachel Bilson to be the week link in Hart of Dixie. The rest of the character are interesting and likeable. Bilson is not. I wish they had cast someone else in that role. I feel like RB is very polarizing and you love her or hate her and it’s hard to get past the dislike.

Comment by Dash – January 25, 2012 06:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ha! Good grief; a young woman who is “quirky” and “nerdy”? Why don’t they just round it out with “awkward” and “adorkable”? Heaven knows there aren’t any shows about a character like that…

Comment by Saint Alicia – January 24, 2012 04:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sounds really awful, thought Mark wanted to change up the CW not order more of the same Dawn Crap. The Carrie Diaries, Beauty and The Beast now this BLAH!

Comment by Freyja – January 24, 2012 05:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Is it me or is the CW ordering a lot more pilots this year? This is like the 5th one already

Comment by tvaddict – January 24, 2012 05:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yes, it does seem like they’re ordering more pilots, which has me worried about shows like “Nikita” & “Ringer”. I’ll be pretty upset if they keep “90210″ and cancel something as good as “Nikita”.

Comment by Carrie Ann – January 24, 2012 05:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I love Nikita but it’s dead. My bet is they’ll clean house. Nikita/Hart of Dixie/90210 and possibly Gossip Girl (but they MAY give it a final 13 episode season).

Comment by Captain – January 24, 2012 08:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I agree with everything you said, though I don’t think they’ll cancel “Hart of Dixie” unless the ratings go dramatically down before May. I wish they’d get rid of that silly “Secret Circle”, too, but that’s very doubtful.

Comment by Kalie – January 24, 2012 11:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Secret Circle is not silly, it’s actually one of their better shows next to TVD and Supernatural. So, no, they really shouldn’t get rid of it, especially since right now it’s actually one of their higher rated shows after TVD.

Comment by Anon – January 25, 2012 05:26 PM PDT
      • Am I the only one who won’t miss Nikita… at all.

Comment by dan – January 24, 2012 09:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Have you ever actually seen the show? It’s very smart and well-written.

Comment by Kalie – January 24, 2012 11:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • They usually order 5 or more pilots. They had about that two years ago and Nikita/Hellcats were the only shows that got picked up for full series.

Comment by Captain – January 24, 2012 08:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Why pick this up when they already have Hart of Dixie? If HOD doesn’t make then I’m sure that this one won’t stand a chance.

Comment by Liz – January 24, 2012 05:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • They haven’t picked it up. They’ve just ordered a pilot. Remember the Wonder Woman pilot? Its maybe a little early to be too worried yet. Unless the ratings get much worse. As someone mentioned above, the CW may cancel a bunch of shows, especially since theres a new boss.

Comment by l – January 24, 2012 09:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Why haven’t they picked up the pilot by One Tree Hill’s creator and JJ Abrams?

Comment by Ann – January 24, 2012 05:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Am I the only one that hopes Alexis Bledel resurfaces to star in this???

Comment by Sasha – January 24, 2012 05:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I hope so!

Comment by Marcie – January 24, 2012 06:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That was my first thought! As much as I love Rachel Bilson, I could actually believe Alexis Bledel as a doctor.

Comment by Nina – January 24, 2012 08:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • right? she’s rory, she’s smart, she can do anything! I’d trust her to perform surgery on me.

Comment by florence – January 24, 2012 09:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Seriously, I’m kind of excited if they do do that. I wanna put that out into the universe because I would so watch it!!

Rachel is pretty and cool, I do like her. But if anybody can pull off adorkable/nerdy its Alexis.

Comment by Sasha – January 25, 2012 05:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • You mean the the same Rory who can’t stand to be around people about to give birth, as in coming around the mountain. The doctor stuff was not for Rory, that was Paris Gellar’s thing. I know Alexis Bledel played a medical intern in the ER series finale, but I can’t buy her as a doctor.

Comment by Liz – January 25, 2012 07:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What kind of crap is that?!

Comment by ? – January 24, 2012 05:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hmmmm sound vaguely familiar. Oh! Yes!! Hart of Dixie!! Really? Now you have to copy other shows that are on.

Comment by V – January 24, 2012 06:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What I really want is another show written/created by Amy Sherman-Palladino she was the soul and the brain behind Gilmore Girls.

Comment by ana muller – January 24, 2012 06:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • What I want is a Gilmore Girls TV movie that ties up all of the loose ends and gets Rory back with Jess.

Comment by Toto – January 25, 2012 09:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Could I please, please just have Gilmore Girls back? Please? Pretty Please? I’ll be, like on my best behavior at Friday night dinners I won’t do anything to screw up the DAR meetings as long as there’s fresh coffee brewing at all times I’ll greet your uptight guests graciously as long as I get to go home to Stars Hollow at the end of the night to have coffee with Luke he’ll make me a burger and maybe I’ll have a donut but to be sure I’ll regale you with a thousand yellow daisies if I could just have Gilmore Girls back. Please? Pretty Please?

Comment by april-ann – January 24, 2012 07:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • i’m never giving up on that, whoever thinks gilmore girls shouldn’t come back to our screen is a butt faced miscreant! let’s just get lorelai and rory back together (oy with the poodles) already and finish the show the right way.

Comment by sarah – January 24, 2012 09:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m not sure why the networks keep bombarding us year after year with a neverending onslaught of medical dramas and cop shows. Most of them flop in the ratings. Hart of Dixie’s ratings aren’t that great either.

Comment by sara – January 24, 2012 07:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The only thing is, Snyder was a co-producer for the SEVENTH season of Gilmore Girls, therefore, my initial excitement at seeing a Gilmore mention, is down the drain.

Comment by Maggie – January 24, 2012 07:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Thanks for pointing that out, haha! I’m even less interested than before now.

Comment by Sally – January 25, 2012 02:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oh CW!! Why does everything have to be set ‘like its in high school’!! I thought the new President wanted to broaden the viewership. Where are the pilot orders for the Kripke and JJ Abrams’ shows! Those and B&B are the only ones I’m truly interested in.

Comment by GK – January 24, 2012 08:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Having the doctor realize hospital life isn’t that different than High school is realistic. There are some people who never grow up or mature and continue to act like they are still teenagers.

Comment by lacey – January 25, 2012 05:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • so realistic there’s like 5 shows about that already, grey’s anatomy alone has addressed the high school X hospital life comparison countless times.

Comment by sabrina – January 26, 2012 08:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I watch Hart of Dixie, Ringer, 90210, TVD and Secret Circle. So I am a fan of the CW BUT they have 10 hours of time a week for shows and if the only one ending is OTH and I am sure Remodelled will get cancelled that does not leave any room for more than 1 new full time show and 1 half time when ANTM is over so with the 4 shows they have pilots for which will make it???

Comment by sarah – January 25, 2012 07:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Looks like Summer Roberts MD is in Trouble.

Comment by TheReasonsY – January 25, 2012 11:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post