Pilot Scoop: The CW Orders Quirky Medical Drama From Gilmore Girls Producer

In what sounds like a cross between Scrubs and Grey’s Anatomy, The CW has ordered First Cut, an hour-long dramedy pilot from former Gilmore Girls co-producer Jennie Snyder Urman that centers on a young female doctor.

Here’s the official logline: Glad to leave her nerdy past behind for a fresh start in the adult professional world, a newly minted doctor discovers that, sadly and comically, life at the hospital where she works is no different than high school.

Urman — whose credits also include 90210 and Men in Trees — penned the script and serves as an exec producer along with Dan Jinks (Pushing DaisiesTraveler).

TAGS: ,
GET MORE: News, Pilots

1. kat says:

Wow does this ever sound…completely derivative. Granted, really good writers can make been-there-done-that material work, but so far I’m not really impressed with most of the CWs pilot orders.

• CJ says:

They’re going to have a hard time meshing with the rest of their schedule: to be about doctors, they have to be of a certain age (unless it’s a bunch of Doogie Howsers). Are they going to be zombie doctors, or leprechauns, or something?

2. K says:

Looks like The CW just found a show to be paired with HART OF DIXIE….therefore, please please please renew HoD for a second season!!

• Drew says:

If it’s light family material, I think Hart of Dixie may be doomed… seriously, how many quirky young doctor women do they need on their network?
      If, on the other hand, it leans toward the more serious side of the dramedy spectrum and appeals to an adult crowd, I could see it being paired with Ringer in an attempt to form a “grownup night” for the network. I expect a lot of theme nights. Monday, family night (Hart of Dixie and something else). Wednesday, grownup night (no teen dramas). Thursday, reserved for teenage girls who want to sleep with murderous demons (Beauty and the Beast and TVD). Friday will be dudes with guns and comic book fans (Supernatural and Deadman)

My prediction anyway. Useless, but fun.

• My thoughts exactly says:

I agree completely. I like Hart of Dixie and think it would be better if the fact that Zoe is a doctor was heard but not seen. I think the random medical dramas tend to bring down the otherwise light and fluffy appeal of the show. If this new show is also fluff like HoD then I bet HoD is DOA at the end of the season. If it is more serious I coudl see it being paired with Ringer. I do not agree thought about you assessment of TVD. It is not just for teen girls but for anybody who like a fast paced supernatural drama. I think that they should keep Secret Circle and TVD together. They are well matched on Thursdays.

• Drew says:

TVD is aimed at a younger female audience. If you move into adult dramas, you’re moving into an audience that cares less about the steamy passion of it all and starts to wonder about the murder and rapes that Elana’s love interests commit on a fairly regular basis. Now, you could say that it’s not just for teenagers and also isn’t supposed to be thought about too much, and I guess that’s valid. But I think that the target demo is still the younger female audience.
          It’s not like Supernatural, which targets a (more male) slightly older audience.

People always talk about how quickly TVD goes through storylines. I don’t really know if that’s a good thing or a bad thing. They tell stories at a fast pace. But at the same time, there are issues like the fact that a teenage girl is trying to decide between dating the murderer/rapist or the guy who literally rips his victims apart. By hurrying through those storylines, none of the death or murders carry any weight. Jenna died, leaving Jeremy as Elana’s only family, and there don’t seem to be many ripples or lasting emotions about that. Hell, Caroline might hook up with the guy who did it and people the audience is cheering!

But I suppose all of that is another topic, not really about demographics.

3. I Heart Chuck Bass (and Damon Salvatore) says:

They should pair this show with Heart of Dixie. Unless…*gulp*…it’s to replace HoD. :(

4. fernando says:

Boo it sounds like a rip off of Hart of Dixie just not that she moves down south. Keep Hart of Dixie

• Captain says:

People don’t watch Hart of Dixie. Maybe they should hire someone who can act like a doctor. And this time, lets not put your doctor in Jimmy Choo heels during surgery.

• Michael says:

I’m not a Rachel Bilson fan in any way, but the show has a lot of quirky characters who have grown on me and who have made Zoey(and Rachel) even more than tolerable. I like the show.

• Dash says:

I find Rachel Bilson to be the week link in Hart of Dixie. The rest of the character are interesting and likeable. Bilson is not. I wish they had cast someone else in that role. I feel like RB is very polarizing and you love her or hate her and it’s hard to get past the dislike.

5. Saint Alicia says:

Ha! Good grief; a young woman who is “quirky” and “nerdy”? Why don’t they just round it out with “awkward” and “adorkable”? Heaven knows there aren’t any shows about a character like that…

6. Freyja says:

Sounds really awful, thought Mark wanted to change up the CW not order more of the same Dawn Crap. The Carrie Diaries, Beauty and The Beast now this BLAH!

7. tvaddict says:

Is it me or is the CW ordering a lot more pilots this year? This is like the 5th one already

• Carrie Ann says:

Yes, it does seem like they’re ordering more pilots, which has me worried about shows like “Nikita” & “Ringer”. I’ll be pretty upset if they keep “90210” and cancel something as good as “Nikita”.

• Captain says:

I love Nikita but it’s dead. My bet is they’ll clean house. Nikita/Hart of Dixie/90210 and possibly Gossip Girl (but they MAY give it a final 13 episode season).

• Kalie says:

I agree with everything you said, though I don’t think they’ll cancel “Hart of Dixie” unless the ratings go dramatically down before May. I wish they’d get rid of that silly “Secret Circle”, too, but that’s very doubtful.

• Anon says:

Secret Circle is not silly, it’s actually one of their better shows next to TVD and Supernatural. So, no, they really shouldn’t get rid of it, especially since right now it’s actually one of their higher rated shows after TVD.

• dan says:

Am I the only one who won’t miss Nikita… at all.

• Captain says:

They usually order 5 or more pilots. They had about that two years ago and Nikita/Hellcats were the only shows that got picked up for full series.

8. Liz says:

Why pick this up when they already have Hart of Dixie? If HOD doesn’t make then I’m sure that this one won’t stand a chance.

• l says:

They haven’t picked it up. They’ve just ordered a pilot. Remember the Wonder Woman pilot? Its maybe a little early to be too worried yet. Unless the ratings get much worse. As someone mentioned above, the CW may cancel a bunch of shows, especially since theres a new boss.

9. Ann says:

Why haven’t they picked up the pilot by One Tree Hill’s creator and JJ Abrams?

10. Sasha says:

Am I the only one that hopes Alexis Bledel resurfaces to star in this???

• Marcie says:

I hope so!

• Nina says:

That was my first thought! As much as I love Rachel Bilson, I could actually believe Alexis Bledel as a doctor.

• florence says:

right? she’s rory, she’s smart, she can do anything! I’d trust her to perform surgery on me.

• Sasha says:

Seriously, I’m kind of excited if they do do that. I wanna put that out into the universe because I would so watch it!!

Rachel is pretty and cool, I do like her. But if anybody can pull off adorkable/nerdy its Alexis.

• Liz says:

You mean the the same Rory who can’t stand to be around people about to give birth, as in coming around the mountain. The doctor stuff was not for Rory, that was Paris Gellar’s thing. I know Alexis Bledel played a medical intern in the ER series finale, but I can’t buy her as a doctor.

11. ? says:

What kind of crap is that?!

12. V says:

Hmmmm sound vaguely familiar. Oh! Yes!! Hart of Dixie!! Really? Now you have to copy other shows that are on.

13. ana muller says:

What I really want is another show written/created by Amy Sherman-Palladino she was the soul and the brain behind Gilmore Girls.

14. april-ann says:

Could I please, please just have Gilmore Girls back? Please? Pretty Please? I’ll be, like on my best behavior at Friday night dinners I won’t do anything to screw up the DAR meetings as long as there’s fresh coffee brewing at all times I’ll greet your uptight guests graciously as long as I get to go home to Stars Hollow at the end of the night to have coffee with Luke he’ll make me a burger and maybe I’ll have a donut but to be sure I’ll regale you with a thousand yellow daisies if I could just have Gilmore Girls back. Please? Pretty Please?

• sarah says:

i’m never giving up on that, whoever thinks gilmore girls shouldn’t come back to our screen is a butt faced miscreant! let’s just get lorelai and rory back together (oy with the poodles) already and finish the show the right way.

15. sara says:

I’m not sure why the networks keep bombarding us year after year with a neverending onslaught of medical dramas and cop shows. Most of them flop in the ratings. Hart of Dixie’s ratings aren’t that great either.

16. Maggie says:

The only thing is, Snyder was a co-producer for the SEVENTH season of Gilmore Girls, therefore, my initial excitement at seeing a Gilmore mention, is down the drain.

17. GK says:

Oh CW!! Why does everything have to be set ‘like its in high school’!! I thought the new President wanted to broaden the viewership. Where are the pilot orders for the Kripke and JJ Abrams’ shows! Those and B&B are the only ones I’m truly interested in.

• lacey says:

Having the doctor realize hospital life isn’t that different than High school is realistic. There are some people who never grow up or mature and continue to act like they are still teenagers.

• sabrina says:

so realistic there’s like 5 shows about that already, grey’s anatomy alone has addressed the high school X hospital life comparison countless times.

18. sarah says:

I watch Hart of Dixie, Ringer, 90210, TVD and Secret Circle. So I am a fan of the CW BUT they have 10 hours of time a week for shows and if the only one ending is OTH and I am sure Remodelled will get cancelled that does not leave any room for more than 1 new full time show and 1 half time when ANTM is over so with the 4 shows they have pilots for which will make it???

19. TheReasonsY says:

Looks like Summer Roberts MD is in Trouble.