TV Stars Eying Oscar: Who Made the Cut? Who Got Snubbed?

Get More: Awards, News

The small screen loomed large Tuesday morning with the announcement of Oscar nominations, as a handful of current TV stars found themselves up for film’s highest honor.

The most high profile names to make the cut: Mike & Molly‘s Melissa McCarthy, who snagged a best supporting actress nod for her scene-stealing turn in Bridesmaids, and Damages‘ Glenn Close, a best actress nominee for Albert Nobbs.

McCarthy’s Bridesmaids co-star, Saturday Night Live‘s Kristen Wiig, also scored a nomination for best original screenplay for co-writing the box office smash with Annie Mumolo.

In the adapted screenplay category, Community‘s Jim Rash (Dean Pelton!) was recognized (along with Alexander Payne and Nat Faxon) for penning the screenplay adaptation of The Descendants.

One TV star who many thought would be experiencing a gold rush today — Secret Life of the American Teenager star Shailene Woodley — failed to make the supporting actress cut for her revelatory performance as George Clooney’s daughter in The Descendants.

For a complete list of nominations for the 84th annual Academy Awards, visit out sister site Deadline.com. The ceremony airs Sunday, Feb. 26 on ABC.

Comments (48)

• I hope Jim Rash wins an acada-dean award. He dean-serves it.

Comment by Sg.Grant – January 24, 2012 06:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • This comment just made my morning. :)

Comment by Aprilcot26 – January 25, 2012 07:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Well, it deaned my afternoon.

Comment by D – January 25, 2012 03:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • great for Jim Rush and Melissa McCarthy but i’m very surprised Dragon Tattoo got shut out of Director and Best Picture.

Comment by Kyle – January 24, 2012 06:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Breaking Bad was snubbed! Oh, wait…

Comment by Marcus – January 24, 2012 06:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Just because it is a TV show is no excuse, it is better then most (or all) of the movies out this year.

Comment by sogood – January 24, 2012 08:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think Jim Rash is my favorite nominee out of the group.

Comment by Will – January 24, 2012 06:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Is Community cancelled?

Comment by Perry D'Marco – January 26, 2012 03:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Shailene Woodley — failed to make the supporting actress cut

Not possible.

Comment by TaMara – January 24, 2012 06:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really hope Jim Rash wins. He’s super talented

Comment by Amy – January 24, 2012 06:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Biggest SNUB is Michael Fassbender!! One of the best performances this year in Shame.

Comment by Victoria – January 24, 2012 07:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • No spielberg. Tintin or Fassbender!?? Im very confused.

Comment by Vicki – January 24, 2012 07:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I TOTALLY agree!!! I don’t understand, in the first place, how ‘War Horse’ can be nominated for best picture etc, and not pick up a nomination for Spielberg in directing!! Plus Tintin was one of the best animated films this year, proven at the Golden Globes, and yet it’s left out. Fassbender made a character with backstory and showed that it was a problem, elevating it to something more than just a ‘sex’ movie. Not well thought out by voters, obviously.

Comment by Garrett – January 24, 2012 08:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I am Spielberg’s biggest fan, but no he did not deserve a best director nomination for War Horse. Hated Tree of Life but Malick deserved the nomination for the opening 20 minutes alone. Tintin I agree I do not understand, bigger complaint is that Ryan Gosling and Albert Brook’s didn’t get nominated for Driver very underrated movie.

Comment by Jacob – January 24, 2012 02:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I guess you didn’t even glance at the numbers. There are only five directing nominees, and then are more than that many Best Picture nominees. Not all of the nominated movies can go up for Best Director, obviously. As for Fassbender, just because YOU think he should have been nominated and he wasn’t, it means the voters weren’t thinking? You have quite a high opinion of yourself, don’t you. There are five worthy nominees in the Best Actor category. Fassbender missed out against top-notch competition.

Comment by Faith – January 24, 2012 02:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I’m so sorry. I thought that this was an opinion forum, not one where we concede to what actually happened, but where someone can voice what they think. I do realize I should have not worded my opinion the way I did, it was very crass, but I also do believe you need to look at other posts on here as I am not the only one who had the idea that something was left out, obviously, and am not the Only one that expressed it in such a way. If you want to attack someone for what they say, you need to do it to everyone else, as well. Just so you know a little bit about me- I did in fact know how the numbers go, and even knew that there is not a set number of movies that MUST be nominated for Best Picture so that one isn’t just thrown in there haphazardly to complete the set. So, it is null and void whether I think he should be nomibated or not, because as you so condescendingly pointed out, there are only five nominees in the Best Director category. Also, I do not have a very high opinion of myself. I am a very unsecure person who just thought that it might be nice to share what I think along with everyone else on some message board who might, just possibly, have an ounce of care. As you so well pointed out, though, I am a know-it-all. Condescending biggot to boot. My last post ever.

Comment by Garrett – January 25, 2012 09:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Can’t believe they snubbed Harry Potter for a Best Picture nomination. How come Lord of the Rings got one upon its conclusion, but not Harry.

Also, bummer for Andy Serkis.

Comment by pv – January 24, 2012 07:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Because DHp2 was just not that great, sorry to say. The Prince’s Tale scenes aren’t enough to carry the whole movie. I think if one HP movie deserved nomination, it was DHp1, but that ship has sailed.

Comment by brandy – January 24, 2012 07:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • LOTR was a much better production. HP looks cheap in comparison. Plus LOTR did a much better job of bringing the story to the screen. HP lacked the masterful story telling that the book counterpart has that makes the series popular. The movies were poorly done. Hopefully in a decade they’ll redo them, with more focus and less spectacle. The source material was excellent, the movies should have been better. And I kind of Agree with Brandy, HP7.1 was probably the best of the movies, 7.2 was one of the worst (which is sad because it’s my favorite book).

Comment by Dash – January 24, 2012 09:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Jesus…enough with the Bridesmades….I don’t know anyone who made it past 30 minutes!!

Comment by Catherine – January 24, 2012 07:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • And almost everyone I know loved it. That’s why having different tastes and opinions is fun!

Comment by John – January 24, 2012 07:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close????? No one likes this movie it has a metacritic score of like 40. I think some academy voters vote before they even see the movies based on what they think will be good. I think the academy should give out tests before, that voters must pass with questions about the contenders to make sure they’ve actually seen the movies.

Comment by Michael Troutman – January 24, 2012 07:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • i agree!

Comment by lipsticksocialism – January 24, 2012 07:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • also, can i please have the job of writing and administering that test?? PLEASE

Comment by lipsticksocialism – January 24, 2012 07:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Oddly enough both Extremely Loud and Warhorse made a number of critics’ worst lists for 2011…go figure.

Comment by Bad Breaker – January 24, 2012 09:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Complete surprise to me, too. I bet the voters just looked at the cast and thought it would be enough.

Comment by em – January 24, 2012 11:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Actually, I know four people, including myself who really like this movie, especially the work done by the young man who played ‘Oskar’ (and if I had my second cup of coffee by now, I would remember his name; please forgive me). There were parts of the movie I thought needed to be pulled back a bit, but overall I think it was a B-plus to A-minus movie and deserves to be considered this year. Although, it’s not the movie I think should win Best Picture, just so you know.

Comment by the8treGirl – January 25, 2012 10:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m surprised Woodley didn’t get a nomination. I haven’t seen the film, but from everything I’ve heard, she was amazing in it.

Comment by aleksa – January 24, 2012 07:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I have seen the Descendants twice and I have to say Shailene Woodley was very good. I was hoping she’d get a nomination so that she could use that to barter her way out of her contract with the godawful Secret Life of the American teenager. Sorry Shailene! Maybe next year?

Comment by Ari – January 24, 2012 09:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love Jim Rash! And I miss Community dearly.

Congrats, Jim.

Comment by Eliza – January 24, 2012 08:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Melissa McCarthy doesn’t belong there. I haven’t seen Bridesmaids bad I know it was horrible. They need to put another an much better actress in that category. Like another one from The Help. Perhaps Bryce Dallas Howard.

Comment by Tay – January 24, 2012 08:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It was good and she was really funny in it, but I’m not sure it was Oscar worthy. Bryce was really good in The Help, utterly hateable.

Comment by Danielle H – January 24, 2012 09:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I also don’t think Bryce Dallas Howard got enough recognition for her work in The Help. I despised her character, she was so convincing. I know it’s a movie full of great performances but she seems to be forgotten a lot of the time. That said, Melissa deserves the nomination.

Comment by Captain – January 24, 2012 02:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • The Help was probably my favorite movie of the year and the acting across the board was impeachable. And yes, BDH’s performance is utterly seamless, easily the most underrated in the movie. Frankly, I would’ve rather seen her in the category than Melissa McCarthy(who I’ve adored beyond belief since her days on my beloved Gilmore Girls); the movie’s very funny, she’s very funny in it, but both the movie and the performance I think are a bit overrated.

Comment by ChrisGa – January 24, 2012 09:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • no mention of mckenzie?!

Comment by brent – January 24, 2012 09:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Speaking of music they need to expend the song nominations. Because there were more than just 2 great movie songs.

Comment by Tay – January 24, 2012 01:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really enjoyed Bridesmaids. I didn’t think it was the funniest movie ever or anything like that, but I am happy for Melissa McCarthy’s nomination. Maybe Shailene Woodley should have taken it from whoever was nominated for Albert Nobbs (no, not Glenn Close). I hadn’t read any acclaim about that performance but much more so for Shailene Woodley.

Comment by Sal – January 24, 2012 10:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So glad they finally got it right in nominating Gary Oldman finally, he was amazing as usual.

Comment by Rik – January 24, 2012 10:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Joseph Gordon levitt was snubbed for his role in 50/50. Awesome performance

Comment by Chris – January 24, 2012 01:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Anjelica Huston as well for the same movie. It’s too bad.

Comment by David – January 24, 2012 05:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Where is Albert Brooks in Drive?

Totally overlooked.

Comment by Jacob – January 24, 2012 01:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Can’t believe they don’t have Senna in the Best Documentary nominees. One of the best documentaries I’ve ever seen…

Comment by ESLKid75 – January 24, 2012 01:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really hoped Charlize Theron would be nominated for Young Adult. She is fantastic in that movie. Only she could make a character so superficial and awful not only sympathetic, but relatable.

Comment by Captain – January 24, 2012 02:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Because the LotR trilogy was 10-13 hours of great filmmaking outstanding filmmaking that improved upon three beloved books. Meanwhile, the Harry Potter took seven beloved books and delivered twenty hours of wildly uneven and often mediocre films.
    That’s why.

Comment by MRinLA – January 24, 2012 02:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Meh, he’ll probably be nominated for Lincoln next year

Comment by Jake – January 24, 2012 05:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think Kristen Wiig is awesome, but I don’t think that Bridesmaids was that good.

Comment by jenna – January 24, 2012 05:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What happened to Leonardo Di Caprio for “J. Edgar”–brilliant performance!!! You got snubbed, Leonardo. :(

Comment by 2820Tessa – January 25, 2012 03:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Why did “Lay your head down” from Albert Nobbs and “The Living Proof” from The Help not get nominated? I don’t get it? 2 songs only get in out of a possible 39? Surely the voting system for this category is not working?

Comment by Kay – January 26, 2012 03:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post