TV Stars Eying Oscar: Who Made the Cut? Who Got Snubbed?

The small screen loomed large Tuesday morning with the announcement of Oscar nominations, as a handful of current TV stars found themselves up for film’s highest honor.

The most high profile names to make the cut: Mike & Molly‘s Melissa McCarthy, who snagged a best supporting actress nod for her scene-stealing turn in Bridesmaids, and Damages‘ Glenn Close, a best actress nominee for Albert Nobbs.

McCarthy’s Bridesmaids co-star, Saturday Night Live‘s Kristen Wiig, also scored a nomination for best original screenplay for co-writing the box office smash with Annie Mumolo.

In the adapted screenplay category, Community‘s Jim Rash (Dean Pelton!) was recognized (along with Alexander Payne and Nat Faxon) for penning the screenplay adaptation of The Descendants.

One TV star who many thought would be experiencing a gold rush today — Secret Life of the American Teenager star Shailene Woodley — failed to make the supporting actress cut for her revelatory performance as George Clooney’s daughter in The Descendants.

For a complete list of nominations for the 84th annual Academy Awards, visit out sister site Deadline.com. The ceremony airs Sunday, Feb. 26 on ABC.

TAGS: , , , , ,
GET MORE: Awards, News

1. Sg.Grant says:

I hope Jim Rash wins an acada-dean award. He dean-serves it.

2. Kyle says:

great for Jim Rush and Melissa McCarthy but i’m very surprised Dragon Tattoo got shut out of Director and Best Picture.

3. Marcus says:

Breaking Bad was snubbed! Oh, wait…

4. Will says:

I think Jim Rash is my favorite nominee out of the group.

5. TaMara says:

Shailene Woodley — failed to make the supporting actress cut

Not possible.

6. Amy says:

I really hope Jim Rash wins. He’s super talented

7. Victoria says:

Biggest SNUB is Michael Fassbender!! One of the best performances this year in Shame.

8. Vicki says:

No spielberg. Tintin or Fassbender!?? Im very confused.

• Garrett says:

I TOTALLY agree!!! I don’t understand, in the first place, how ‘War Horse’ can be nominated for best picture etc, and not pick up a nomination for Spielberg in directing!! Plus Tintin was one of the best animated films this year, proven at the Golden Globes, and yet it’s left out. Fassbender made a character with backstory and showed that it was a problem, elevating it to something more than just a ‘sex’ movie. Not well thought out by voters, obviously.

• Jacob says:

I am Spielberg’s biggest fan, but no he did not deserve a best director nomination for War Horse. Hated Tree of Life but Malick deserved the nomination for the opening 20 minutes alone. Tintin I agree I do not understand, bigger complaint is that Ryan Gosling and Albert Brook’s didn’t get nominated for Driver very underrated movie.

• Faith says:

I guess you didn’t even glance at the numbers. There are only five directing nominees, and then are more than that many Best Picture nominees. Not all of the nominated movies can go up for Best Director, obviously. As for Fassbender, just because YOU think he should have been nominated and he wasn’t, it means the voters weren’t thinking? You have quite a high opinion of yourself, don’t you. There are five worthy nominees in the Best Actor category. Fassbender missed out against top-notch competition.

• Garrett says:

I’m so sorry. I thought that this was an opinion forum, not one where we concede to what actually happened, but where someone can voice what they think. I do realize I should have not worded my opinion the way I did, it was very crass, but I also do believe you need to look at other posts on here as I am not the only one who had the idea that something was left out, obviously, and am not the Only one that expressed it in such a way. If you want to attack someone for what they say, you need to do it to everyone else, as well. Just so you know a little bit about me- I did in fact know how the numbers go, and even knew that there is not a set number of movies that MUST be nominated for Best Picture so that one isn’t just thrown in there haphazardly to complete the set. So, it is null and void whether I think he should be nomibated or not, because as you so condescendingly pointed out, there are only five nominees in the Best Director category. Also, I do not have a very high opinion of myself. I am a very unsecure person who just thought that it might be nice to share what I think along with everyone else on some message board who might, just possibly, have an ounce of care. As you so well pointed out, though, I am a know-it-all. Condescending biggot to boot. My last post ever.

9. pv says:

Can’t believe they snubbed Harry Potter for a Best Picture nomination. How come Lord of the Rings got one upon its conclusion, but not Harry.

Also, bummer for Andy Serkis.

• brandy says:

Because DHp2 was just not that great, sorry to say. The Prince’s Tale scenes aren’t enough to carry the whole movie. I think if one HP movie deserved nomination, it was DHp1, but that ship has sailed.

• Dash says:

LOTR was a much better production. HP looks cheap in comparison. Plus LOTR did a much better job of bringing the story to the screen. HP lacked the masterful story telling that the book counterpart has that makes the series popular. The movies were poorly done. Hopefully in a decade they’ll redo them, with more focus and less spectacle. The source material was excellent, the movies should have been better. And I kind of Agree with Brandy, HP7.1 was probably the best of the movies, 7.2 was one of the worst (which is sad because it’s my favorite book).

10. Catherine says:

Jesus…enough with the Bridesmades….I don’t know anyone who made it past 30 minutes!!

11. Michael Troutman says:

Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close????? No one likes this movie it has a metacritic score of like 40. I think some academy voters vote before they even see the movies based on what they think will be good. I think the academy should give out tests before, that voters must pass with questions about the contenders to make sure they’ve actually seen the movies.

• lipsticksocialism says:

i agree!

• Bad Breaker says:

Oddly enough both Extremely Loud and Warhorse made a number of critics’ worst lists for 2011…go figure.

• em says:

Complete surprise to me, too. I bet the voters just looked at the cast and thought it would be enough.

• the8treGirl says:

Actually, I know four people, including myself who really like this movie, especially the work done by the young man who played ‘Oskar’ (and if I had my second cup of coffee by now, I would remember his name; please forgive me). There were parts of the movie I thought needed to be pulled back a bit, but overall I think it was a B-plus to A-minus movie and deserves to be considered this year. Although, it’s not the movie I think should win Best Picture, just so you know.

12. aleksa says:

I’m surprised Woodley didn’t get a nomination. I haven’t seen the film, but from everything I’ve heard, she was amazing in it.

• Ari says:

I have seen the Descendants twice and I have to say Shailene Woodley was very good. I was hoping she’d get a nomination so that she could use that to barter her way out of her contract with the godawful Secret Life of the American teenager. Sorry Shailene! Maybe next year?

13. Eliza says:

I love Jim Rash! And I miss Community dearly.

Congrats, Jim.

14. Tay says:

Melissa McCarthy doesn’t belong there. I haven’t seen Bridesmaids bad I know it was horrible. They need to put another an much better actress in that category. Like another one from The Help. Perhaps Bryce Dallas Howard.

• Danielle H says:

It was good and she was really funny in it, but I’m not sure it was Oscar worthy. Bryce was really good in The Help, utterly hateable.

• Captain says:

I also don’t think Bryce Dallas Howard got enough recognition for her work in The Help. I despised her character, she was so convincing. I know it’s a movie full of great performances but she seems to be forgotten a lot of the time. That said, Melissa deserves the nomination.

• ChrisGa says:

The Help was probably my favorite movie of the year and the acting across the board was impeachable. And yes, BDH’s performance is utterly seamless, easily the most underrated in the movie. Frankly, I would’ve rather seen her in the category than Melissa McCarthy(who I’ve adored beyond belief since her days on my beloved Gilmore Girls); the movie’s very funny, she’s very funny in it, but both the movie and the performance I think are a bit overrated.

15. brent says:

no mention of mckenzie?!

16. Sal says:

I really enjoyed Bridesmaids. I didn’t think it was the funniest movie ever or anything like that, but I am happy for Melissa McCarthy’s nomination. Maybe Shailene Woodley should have taken it from whoever was nominated for Albert Nobbs (no, not Glenn Close). I hadn’t read any acclaim about that performance but much more so for Shailene Woodley.

17. Rik says:

So glad they finally got it right in nominating Gary Oldman finally, he was amazing as usual.

18. Chris says:

Joseph Gordon levitt was snubbed for his role in 50/50. Awesome performance

19. Jacob says:

Where is Albert Brooks in Drive?

Totally overlooked.

20. ESLKid75 says:

Can’t believe they don’t have Senna in the Best Documentary nominees. One of the best documentaries I’ve ever seen…

21. Captain says:

I really hoped Charlize Theron would be nominated for Young Adult. She is fantastic in that movie. Only she could make a character so superficial and awful not only sympathetic, but relatable.

22. MRinLA says:

Because the LotR trilogy was 10-13 hours of great filmmaking outstanding filmmaking that improved upon three beloved books. Meanwhile, the Harry Potter took seven beloved books and delivered twenty hours of wildly uneven and often mediocre films.
    That’s why.

23. Jake says:

Meh, he’ll probably be nominated for Lincoln next year

24. jenna says:

I think Kristen Wiig is awesome, but I don’t think that Bridesmaids was that good.

25. 2820Tessa says:

What happened to Leonardo Di Caprio for “J. Edgar”–brilliant performance!!! You got snubbed, Leonardo. :(

26. Kay says:

Why did “Lay your head down” from Albert Nobbs and “The Living Proof” from The Help not get nominated? I don’t get it? 2 songs only get in out of a possible 39? Surely the voting system for this category is not working?