Castle First Look: Rick and Kate Get Dolled Up For a Sumptuous Noir Flashback

Castle is rewinding the clock to the 1940s, and we’ve got your first look at the ABC drama’s noir-esque time warp!

The super stylish hour, airing Feb. 6 at 10/9c, finds Castle and Beckett investigating the murder of a treasure hunter. According to the official episode description, “They discover the case is linked to a mysterious homicide from 1947 involving a hard-boiled private detective. Castle realizes the only way to solve the present-day murder is to solve the murder from the past.”

Matt’s Inside Line: Scoop on Criminal Minds, NCIS, Fringe, Bones, Castle, Revenge and More

Being the slightly self-absorbed guy he is, Castle imagines himself as the P.I. and Beckett as a stunning femme fatale on the arm of a gangster/nightclub owner (guest star Mark Pellegrino). Lanie, Esposito, Ryan, Alexis and Martha also assume familiar noir personas in the author’s fantasy.

Check out the gallery below and then hit the comments with your thoughts on everyone’s new looks.

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

1. Gianna says:

Stana Katic … gorgeous!!!!! Stunning!!!!!
    Those 2 words are thrown around way to frequent but in this case and in regards to Stana, its an understatement.

2. Coop says:

I’ll be in my bunk

3. Alex says:

Stana looks breathtakingly gorgeous and Tamala too.

4. kirads09 says:

This episode is a can’t miss. Look at Pelligrino! Everyone looks smokin’ hot. :)

5. Jenny says:

Stana looks absolutely STUNNING. wow.
    Tamela, Molly and Susan look beautiful too :) and Seamus and Jon look great! I can’t wait for this!!!

6. Foghorn says:

7. Linderella says:

Totally awesome! Everyone looks hot, especially Stana and Tamala! I’m going to love this episode!!!

8. Danielle H says:

I have been sadly disappointed in Castle this season which has become too bogged down with seriousness, but I did like last Monday’s episode. This one looks like it will be really enjoyable. My one notation though is unfortunately Nathan is packing on the pounds. He’s still ruggedly handsome ;), but it’s becoming really noticeable. But no hate towards him for it!!

9. Liana in San Diego says:

Bones did a similar venture a season or two ago, and this smacks of almost the same thing. Hope they can pull it off…. and yes, everyone looks stunning! Stana could wear the phone book and be a knockout. Fillion has gained weight and looks paunchy, so I’m not so enamored of his current look.

• Lisa says:

Bones did not do a noir episode. They did some artwork that was noir inspired but since Fringe was doing a noir episode that same year, Bones decided not to have one.

• Mary says:

Lisa is correct, Bones producers were set to have noir episode however Fringe beat them to the punch. I would have love to see the characters of Bones do this type of episode. I love when Bren goes undercover she is completely different (Vegas Episode) and I think she was going to sing.

• Liana in San Diego says:

You are mistaken. They did indeed do a speakeasy episode, which is the one where Bones and Booth are in bed, and it raised no end of consternation because it was only the “dream” or Booth’s hallucination. It was after he was shot and in hospital. Doesn’t anyone remember that?

• Sandra says:

You are mistaken on serveral levels Liana, first bones did. not. do. a. noir. episode. Yes, they may have had an episode that was a dream, but in no way was it noir. Also Booth was not shot, he had a brain tumor… just saying.

• sue says:

I told a friend that he has no sex appeal since he has gained weight. It is very noticeable in his gut.
      butt and even in his face. The weight has aged him. Two more pounds and he will look like Beckett’s father. I am not anti weight, but the appeal of this show relies on the appeal of the cast.
      Note: Stana has evoled into a really good dramatic actress, While holding her strengh with comedy portion.

10. Jared Semple says:

Don’t know why my comment was deleted but c’mon you have to be blind to not see that Nathan’s packed on some pounds, I mean he’s a cool guy but he looks bloated in those pics. Anyways I’m not a fan of these “noir” episodes because it seems like they have nothing else to write about. I really want some more dynamics played between the characters; not really enjoying Castle this year as I have in the previous years. But I’ll wait for the ride, I just hope Castle doesn’t let me down like other shows have.

• Dash says:

I honestly think it’s the way the dress him for Castle. I’ve seen him in other pictures recently and he looked like his usual self. There is something about the wardrobe department for Castle that they just make him look so frumpy and bigger than he is. He should demand that they should work on that.

• Bertjesbeef says:

RedCarpetPuke aka RedCarpetLuke is responsible for the awful clothing of our DD for part of season 3 until now. The guy has no feel for the show!

11. Tali says:

Don’t hate me but I think Nathan needs to slim down a bit. He looks HUGE in those suits and Stana looks tiny, like a girl. It looks like he could crush her O_O

• Karen says:

lol….but my god she’s so beautiful guh I envy stana… but for a moment there I thought Castle looked like her Dad… I dunno the clothes aren’t really working for Nathan, he looks kind of bad TBH. (don’t hurt me guys just my opinion!)

• nitemar says:

Totally! I’ve noticed this season Stana looks slimmer and Nathan well, he looks more in the heavy side and not very hot. Still love them both. Nat, pls slim down. Thanks! :)

12. Brad says:

I’m not usually a fan of black and white, but I think it would have been great to see this episode in black and white. Also, yes, Nathan has gained a little weight, but he doesn’t look as bad as people are saying and it saddens me to see people being so shallow, there’s nothing wrong with putting on a little weight.

13. lame says:

Look guys, many of you are remembering Nathan from his firefly days. On Castle, he’s never been that thin, but I do get your drift. That call is up to Andrew Marlowe, he created the character, so until the Boss says anything just roll with it.

• Alex says:

I remember Nathan in the pilot since I’ve never seen him in anything before Castle and yes, he was that thin

• Audrey says:

I’ve never seen Nathan in anything before Castle, but he was smokin hot with his two big guns in the first two seasons. I kind of notice the weight gain at the end of the 3rd season. It became really noticeable during the beginning of season 4. He was walking like a teddy bear, especially when walking next to Stana, making her look really tiny in comparison. Fortunately, it looks like he had slimmed down a bit in the the last couple of episodes. Now that I mention this, I don’t recall seeing Castle run in the show anymore. Remember back in the days when Castle would be running behind Beckett catching bad guys (and had his pants chewed of by a dog) or jumping over a taxi yelling “I’ve always wanted to do that!”? They were fun to watch…

14. Sara says:

Duuuuuuuuuuuuuude! I’m stoked!

15. Jessica says:

This episode looks like so much fun! Cannot wait to tune in!

16. dan says:

Think they’d pay Nathan enough to stay skinny…Loved him in Firefly and Castle but his weight is becoming a distraction….

• Toto says:

ITA. I love him, but he’s starting to look like Danny Aiello. In fact if he continues on with this it will be more like Raymond Burr or Orson Wells. Looks more like the villain than the hero.

• dan says:

And I am not the peak of physical perfection either, so this isnt about being shallow. I am a normal 30 something guy with a bit of a tummy, but Nathon is the lead in a primetime show…Would be like if Aaron Rodgers put on 50 pounds of fat and was still the QB…

17. Audrey says:

*thud* They look amazing!!

Do you have scoops for us, Tvline?!?

18. Lady Mary says:

Nathan needs to lose weight.

19. Kate says:

WOW!!!!!!! They all look amazing. Seriously, could Stana Katic be more gorgeous? Jeez… I can’t wait for this episode! It looks like it is going to be so much fun!

20. Alicia L. says:

Isn’t this episode rumored to have a kiss between Castle and Beckett in it?

21. tp says:

Hilary Burton was funny in that last episode. Almost didn’t recognize her.

22. lame says:

Geez,all this talk about Fillion’s weight. He’s not as large as Det. Frank Cannon was. Cannon was as wide as he was tall. If allowed to grow to those proportions, Beckett won’t be able to walk next to him but rather amongst him. Sorry, that’s a cheap joke,Nathan’s far from that.

• JJ says:

No he isn’t as big as Cannon, but Cannon wasn’t the matinee idol type, more of a character actor. A shipper thread with Cannon would be ludicrous. If Castle gains much more he won’t deserve Kate Becket. I mean, look at her last boyfriend, Victor Fricken Webster!

23. Santi says:

Scenes in black and white?

• Audrey says:

Doesn’t seem like it’ll be in black and white, since the promo that ran after last night’s episode was in colors. But who knows….

24. Beth says:

I’ve been waiting for this Noir/fantasy episode for soooooo long. I honestly didn’t think it was going to happen at all, then BAM! Some people are saying it’s a flimsy excuse of storytelling (the fantasy episode) but fans have been asking for a noir episode since season 2. I think Castle is actually one of few shows where a fantasy ep is more than justified, seeing as a lot of the Castle/Beckett relationship is based in fantasy (with the Heat books). I seriously can’t wait 2 weeks!!

25. jennings says:

“Castle realizes the only way to solve the present-day murder is to solve the murder from the past.” This episode looks kinda hokey…seems more like an old 80’s Angela Landsbury episode. Kind of losing interest in the show. They really need to get some new writers.

26. mandy says:

cant wait but yeah nathan fillion has put on the pounds you can start seeing it in his face now even more when he smiles still love the guy but a little working out needs to be done to be next to stana

27. valezza says:

A kiss in a ‘fantasy mode’ does never count. The same principle was applied to ‘Xfiles’ and ‘Bones’ and those kisses – they weren’t recognized by the fans as the ‘true’ ones. )

28. Melanie says:

People need to shut the hell up about Nathan’s weight. He looks fine. -.-

• JJ says:

No, he doesn’t. When they have to overdress him with a compression vest under his clothes, shoot at angles to hide his size or put people or objects between him and the camera, it’s a problem.

29. Dionne says:

I love Nathan but its true that suit does nothing for him. It may just be that I am remembering him from hi “Captain Tightpants” days though. Also Firefly/Serenity were years ago. Could also be that while stunning, Stana is model thin so it just makes him look bigger. Just hope he doesn’t get a complex and lose too much weight like Sean Murray in NCIS

• Kate says:

First, I don’t think Sean lost TOO much weight, he looks good (if a little thin, but it’s not that bad). And, though I hate to admit it because I am a die hard browncoat, the Captain Tightpants days are over. Nathan’s older now, and when men get older they fill out. He’s almost 41, he’s getting to that age when he’s gonna be a little bigger.

And besides, I don’t think he’s gonna really care what people are saying about his weight anyway. He’s too much of a BAMF for that.

30. محمد از مشهد says:

سلام به برو بچه های وخسته نباشید pmc
    می شه ازتان به خوام بیام پیشتان به عنوان یک دوبلاج گر باهاتون همکاری کونم ممنونم

31. CCcastle says:

O come on guys you all got to be kidding about Nathan he look great.
    I remember time’s when all was so in love with this show that they really didn’t care about Nathan’s weight or how he was looking everybody was just happy that Stana and Nathan were working and get closer to each other.Now you all discuss Nathan weight although they will kiss and do other things that do lovers more attention to episodde and that how Stana and Nathan fit together(and if someone feels resentful about not doing this i am sorry but that how it looks like after all this comments)

32. Ainav says:

If only we could get Nathan shirtless to prove you are all so wrong.

33. Kris says:

Lol. Although to be fair, in the most recent stills, it looks like he slimmed down a bit.

34. Mari says:

OMG I can’t wait for this episode!

35. Jan says:

It’s the double-breasted suit jackets that put on the perceived weight. They are not in style anymore–and for good reason. Perhaps in the Depression years, people were much less well-fed and the double-breasted look went over well. I do think Nathan has a less “sculptured” jaw line now, but I’m wondering if he might be on meds that tend to cause him to retain water…

36. toomuchgravy says:

Wow, he really looks fine here. Like a slightly older Mal actually.
    You’re right, I don’t understand it either. He put on weight, no doubt about that, but why he looks so much worse on Castle than on talk shows and random photos? Isn’t it usually the other way around when stars look their best in movies and shows and not always that good on interviews and candids?

37. toomuchgravy says:

WTF, I was responding to Marcy’s comment with a link to Fillion’s recent pics. Now it’s nowhere to be found

38. Jessica says:

I think it’s the jackets. He looks skinniest in the one photo in these where he’s just with his mom and he has no jacket.

39. sue says:

If the word jacket can be substituted for big stomach, then yes it is the ‘ jacket’. I had never heard of this guy before I started to watch Castle in 2012. I was channel surfing one night and it was Beckett who caught my attention. Later I saw advertising on TNT. I watched those repeats and I got really interested and Nathan got fatter. I found him ordinary looking initially, now I find him slightly unattractive.