Grey's Anatomy Recap: Gone, But Not Forgotten - Plus the Wild First 'Alt Reality' Promo

Episodes like that which Grey’s Anatomy put forth this Thursday make me think that sometimes the best hours of TV are the ones that aren’t entirely about what you think they’ll be about.

Because coming off of last week, of course all eyes were on Teddy, who had just finally processed Henry’s death, Cristina, the surgeon who operated on her mentor’s husband, and Owen, the chief of surgery who kept his staffer in the dark about her loss.

And yes, there was stirring, loud payoff to that storyline in the final scene, where we realize that Owen’s beef with Teddy and Cristina stealing a surgery was not so much with the head-strong widow, but with his own wife, who makes her own decisions and stands by them come hell or high water.

Or come aborted child.

“You killed our baby!” Owen erupted at his missus, well within earshot of the happy-shiny party being thrown for Zola. Kevin McKidd drove home his character’s long-percolating outrage, while Sandra Oh, as usual, in her brief reaction moment registered egocentric Cristina’s surprise at his burst.

But lost in all the A-story hubbub surrounding Teddy et al was this throway line from ABC’s synopsis for “Suddenly”: “Meanwhile, Adele is brought into the hospital after she is found wandering the streets.”

People, there was no “meanwhile” to Loretta Devine’s performance last night. As those who follow my Twitter feed saw me opine, I’d like to think that she cinched an Emmy nod for Guest Actress in a Drama, the category in which she grabbed the gold last September. What emotions she cycled through, starting off as an impatient wife determined to see her husband, then the disillusioned spouse full of jealous accusations (as she mistook Meredith for Richard’s onetime lover, Ellis), and finally the kvelling sweetheart for whom “My Funny Valentine” heals all wounds.

And as an emotional kicker for the excellent hour, the subplot with the young boy who let his mom believe he was oblivious to his tumor situation? Oy. Heart-wrenching performances there, too, by both mother and son.

Turning from the too-real to the unreal: Capping this week’s Grey’s was the first promo for the “alt reality” episode titled “If/Then,” which among other things gave us a first look at the “alt” Lexie. Watch it again here, and share in comments your assorted anticipations/questions.

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

1. A. says:

I absolutely loved this episode. I can’t believe I love this show way more now than in the previuos seasons. It keeps getting better and better. Can’t wait for the next episode.
    (btw. I hated that whole ”You killed our baby!” thing. He’s a doctor. He should know better.

• s says:

good point, he should have known better. watch christina spriral into another depression for “killing” her baby, which she didn’t really do. Owen is an ass. He should leave the show. I hate his guts

• Carm says:

First of all, it was a baby, second of all she did have an abortion, therefore she did kill his baby. And whatever you believe on the issue, which I really don’t care, Owen has the right to be upset by the fact that she aborted his baby without really taking account of HIS feelings. It was his baby too. And whether he knew she didn’t want to have kids before they were married, they are BOTH adults and both could take precautions to not get pregnant, and NEITHER one of them did that, so therefore Christina is just as much to blame for getting pregnant as him, so therefore she should have listened to his feelings too. I really do hate that she killed his baby.

• s is a zero says:

Owen stood up for LIFE!

It’s about time someone does on a network tv show.

The show would be far better off if Yang left.

• Rax says:

EXCUSE ME? wow.. if yang left the show? besides MerDer, YANG IS THE SHOW! don’t believe it – see the Grey’s new FB page profile photo… it only features Meredith and Cristina- hence their amazing friendship!

Owen knew since the start what he was getting into even when he started his relationship with Yang, he knew she puts career over life (she gave him up to teddy for Cardio – duh!), she is defiant and not a mother-material.. not a shocker! so why all of a sudden “shattering his plans for his life?” Yang gave her a clear out before season 6 finale shooting! (i love Kevin McKidd as an actor but) I want to kick some red haired psycho’s a** !!!

• Barbie says:

I dream every day of Yang leaving the show. I am with you, sister. I’ve hated Yang from the very first episode. Eight seasons and she’s only gotten worse. The thing about Grey’s Anatomy is that it’s a dramedy. She’s all bitter and anger and she’s hateful. She’s selfish, she only cares about work. I wish her gone all the time. I agree, the show would be soooo much better :)

And, OMG, alt Lexie!!!! <3

• sherri p says:

It was a baby, what do you mean he should know better?

• Amanda says:

oh great, here we go. i knew this would turn into a pro life vs pro choice thing.

• Gretchen says:

No, it was a fetus. Christina, on the other hand, is a fully grown woman who has every right to end an unwanted pregnancy.

If Owen wants kids so badly, he should have married someone who felt the same.

• kim says:

Seriously, I hate Owen with a seething rage and I do not understand these two, it’s like they never even met before. How do people get married without talking about the deal breaker that is having kids? That isn’t exactly something you can go halfway on. How can they be so clueless about each other and can they PLEASE get a damn divorce already or better yet have Owen get hit by a bus a la George. UGH!

• Annie says:

I love Owen but he’s just way, way wrong on this one. Remember back last season? They had this discussion about kids, and Cristina tried to tell him she wouldn’t “come around.” Yet he was absolutely sure that once her career was established and began to settle down into something more normal, she’d decide she wanted a child, too. There was NOTHING else Cristina could have done or needed to have done to communicate her feelings on this subject. Owen wasn’t listening – yet another male (let’s call him Burke 2.0 – vastly improved on the original but still incapable of letting Cristina be Cristina without trying to make her over) who loves Cristina but needs to control her.

• crisowen says:

The point is not that Cristina chose to abort. The overlying point and root cause of their issues is that Cristina has always put herself first. I am pro-Cristina (with B or without him) and I’m undoubtedly a pro-CO fangirl but Cristina has not fully accepted her role in this marriage. She can’t always have it all. She can’t always do what she wants without consequence. That is it – in relationships and surgeries she is slightly narrow-minded in her thinking that she is always the right one, no matter what. Chief Webber told her this in her interview in season two. I hope something makes her grow more into a the wholely compassionate human she continues to try to protect.

• Annie says:

That’s true, but children is NOT the issue you “compromise” on! Cristina already went through this with Owen – she was VERY blunt about not wanting kids, and HE was the one refused to accept it, thinking he knew her better than she knew herself. Which is just crazytown.

• Brooke says:

Absolutely, Owen is wrong to stay with Cristina knowing that she never wanted children. And she’s wrong to stay with him knowing that he wants them. That’s just something that you can’t compromise on. You can stop putting yourself first on smaller things. But not kids. That’s just too huge, and it is far, far better for everyone involved if Owen married someone who wanted kids and Cristina married someone who didn’t want to be a parent.

• Svenja says:

Well, of course Owen is a doctor, but this was HIS baby. It’s different when you’re emotionally involved. I kinda understand him and I also understand Cristina. I am torn when it comes to that.

• Ines says:

I think Owen meant baby as in a future child for both of them, not just the one she aborted. He sees Cristina being happy with Zola but she couldn’t be happy for their unborn baby (hence the abortion) thus no pregnancies or babies for the future. And I think that’s what he means by “you killed our baby”: she decided to have an abortion, without giving him a chance to say anything and she decided their future and by that she killed any future babies (which we know he wants). Does this make sense?

• kim says:

I don’t think that’s what he meant but I like your version better so I am choosing to think of it that way. I still hate him though especially for being too stupid to not discuss babies with her before marrying or even sheesh realizing that wasn’t going to be her bag since it’s quite obvious.

2. Svenja says:

Great review Matt.
    WOW that was probably the best Grey’s Anatomy episode of the season. Intense storylines, big emotions, great writing, extraordinary performances. No words.
    The story about the 11 year old made me cry, Adele and Richard broke my heart (the singing scene was probably the best scene of the episode) and the final scene with Owen and Cristina. Wow. Well, done. Grey’s Anatomy regained its mojo.

The preview looks amazing. Lexie’s condition came as a surprise and I am incredibly excited about Alex/Meredith. McDreamy doesn’t look so dreamy any longer, Callie looks stunning and having Kate Walsh on GA is always a blessing and a blast.

Grey’s Anatomy makes me really happy right now. Kudos to Shonda, her writers, the crew and the incredible cast.

• Mark says:

I cried with the 11 year old too :(
      Love Loretta Devine so much!

• Svenja says:

Loretta’s performance was stunning. Matt is right, she deserves an Emmy for it.
        Yes, the story about the little boy broke my heart :(

• Purplecat says:

Thi episode was so well written and acted it made me think of the early seasons and how much I enjoyed them. Shonda and writers job well done. And the acting well Loretta was totally awesome!! It was so well done and she pulled you right into understanding what a person with the big A disease goes through. And the little boy I was in tears as well very well done acting all around but I do believe that Loretta deserves an Emmy!!! Keep up the great writing it’s like Grey’s Anatomy of old!!

3. Dash says:

I already hate this alt-reality episode. Just like with the musical episode it feels like Grey’s is trying to get gimmicky in order to right the ship. BUT the ship doesn’t need righted. Grey’s has been excellent the past two or three years and these gimmicks are just very awful to sit through.

Richard has a great singing voice. I feel like he’d made a great Christmas song singer.

• zoe says:

I can’t wait for the Alt-universe episode. It’s a one-off and a cool idea and, if it doesn’t work, there’s no after-effect. Lexi as goth girl is one I can’t figure out how came to be simply because Ellis is the Chief and Meredith had a happy childhood.

• Alicia L. says:

From what I’ve read on another site from fans is this, Lexie is all Goth and depressed because instead of being the happy good dad, Thatcher was a huge drunk because Ellis was happy with Richard and that unhappiness transcended to his daughter. Besides if Meredith is going to be the cheery and happy it would only make sense that Lexie is also opposite in her personality. I totally agree with the other fans assessment because it makes sense. The only thing that I thought was missing from the promo was Arizona. I also thought it was kind of rude that they said only Kate Walsh is guest starring because Kate Burton was also essential to the show for a very long time.

• Mandy says:

I don’t hate it, since I haven’t seen it yet, but I agree – it looks super gimmicky. I’ll have to wait and see how it goes, but I don’t have high hopes. It looks like it’ll be “What would happen if everyone acted the opposite of how they are now? CRAZY, right??”

• claire says:

This meme isn’t new. Lots of shows have done such episodes. Friends did something similar. Plus, because the doctors are so enmeshed, it will be interesting to see how one person’s difference affects the next.

• Mandy says:

I don’t think anyone is implying it’s new. It was equally as gimmicky on Friends, but at least that show was a comedy and could pull it off. I don’t think it’ll work for a drama like Grey’s (even if it has been done before).

• amberjj says:

NCIS is doing the same thing for their 200th episode. Its an interesting idea, and there is a reason shows like Friends and NCIS do it.

4. Alicia L. says:

Anyone notice that Derek and Addison are where matching scrub caps? I wonder if that something that Chief Grey implemented?

5. Sarah says:

I am going to try not to make this a pro-life vs. pro-choice thing (though I am pro-life). Either way, regardless, Owen wanted that baby and he HAS A RIGHT to have feelings about it. Christina got to make her choice, but she CANNOT dictate how he feels about it.

As far as the rest of the episode, soooo good. The little boy made me cry. He was so strong!!! And the way he told his mother he knew was so very sweet!! Callie and Arizone teasing Mark about his girlfriend was super funny. Richard singing to Adele and her reaction was INCREDIBLY moving!!!

The alt-reality seems a bit odd. But it looks interesting. I often wonder what would’ve happened had Addison and Derek stayed together. Alex and Meredith as a couple. A little weird for me. But we’ll just see how it plays out. Looks kinda fun!! :)

• Liana in San Diego says:

Christina didn’t “get to make her choice” – she simply barreled through regardless of what Owen thought, as though he didn’t matter at all. I’m definitely pro-choice, but there was absolutely NO communication between them. Selfish Christina does what she wants and everyone else be damned. She’s one of the most egomaniacal characters ever created, and it’s one of the reasons I dislike her so intensely.

• Gretchen says:

So what exactly is thereto compromise?

You are NOT pro-choice if you think a woman should carry a pregnancy she doesn’t want to make the husband happy.

If Owen wants kids, he should have married someone who felt the same way. HE is the selfish, bitter one. Were I Christina, I’d run from him and fast. He’s already almost killed her and loves to guilt her and acts like a baby when he doesn’t get his way. I do not like his character at all, it was obviously a character created to (poorly) fill Burke’s spot.

• susan says:

you’ve GOT! to be kidding, right? Burke? Burke took pieces of Cristina until she wasn’t Cristina anymore. He was an ass and manipulated her to no end. Owen and Cristina’s journey has not been perfect by all means but they have been there for each other – her with his ptsd and him with hers. you can defend Cristina’s right to choose, that is fine. but don’t go bashing the one person who has been in her corner. he has a right to feel what he feels.

• Anna says:

AMEN!!! I dislike her too. Not because she aborted but because she does whatever she wants or everyone else will be damned. Owen knew she didnt wanna hava babies thats true. But it was his baby and he has the right to mourn and to be sad. Why is that sooo hard for many to understand?

• Ron says:

He has the right to mourn but he went with her and held her hand, he took her back after he knew her decision (which she took a long time to make a final decision on, she didn’t run from the pregnancy test to the abortion) and gave the implication he supported her. you can’t go from that to attacking her and calling her a murderer.

6. McScotty says:

great review, this season of Grey’s has been one of the best for me and episodes like last night’s are the reason. Loretta Devine is nothing short of incredible anyway, but last night she was just sensational – such an emotional storyline anyway, but she and Jim Pickens did it so well. The singing of “My Funny Valentine” – heartbreaking. Was very amused too by the Callie/Arizona/Mark situation, tables turned somewhat on Mark! Also thought it was slightly daring but nonetheless a good move to have a case where Derek tried his best, but had to admit defeat. That’s the reality in some cases, but sometimes Grey’s doesn’t really go for the reality. I enjoyed this episode a lot.

as for next week, I laughed my way through the promo. Don’t think it’s just a case of “what if everyone was the opposite?”, but how different can the world be if one or two minor details are changed? I think it’s a fascinating thing for the writers to be trying, and think it’ll be good fun. I think a long-running series like Grey’s is allowed to have fun on occasion. I’m looking forward to it!

7. EveatEden says:

Wow, the twist of Addison being VERY pregnant was unexpected. Hilarious to finally see Addison getting her baby (private practice has spent a few seasons on her desire to be a mother now) but to see it in a Grey’s alternate reality. Such a Shonda thing to do LOL.

I can’t wait to see where they go with Lexi and the no nazi Bailey!

8. EveatEden says:

It is going to be hard to wait 2 weeks to see the aftermath of that fight between Owen & Cristina.

• aussie says:

Actually think we have to wait 3 weeks for the fallout to continue, as AU episode is next up after the week off.
      Then after that it’s the valentine’s episode.

9. John says:

I have to say after watching the latest episode of Greys Anatomy that the show has found it’s rhythm again. For a while now I have been thinking of ditching the show from my viewing schedule, this weeks episode turned everything around. I once again felt invested in the characters, I cared for the guest stars, and I muttered under my breath “Emmy Award Winning” after the stunning turn from Loretta Devine in the viewing gallery.
    I am now eager to see the next episode and pray that this is a true return to form of the previous seasons, not just a fluke episode. Whatever Shonda and the team did during ther hiatus worked and they need to stick to it.

10. Caro says:

I loved the Richard/Adele scenes. Loretta Divine is an amazing actress! Also loved loved loved Mer and Der with Zola. She’s too cute!! Don’t like Mark with someone else besides Lexie. I’d love to see more love between them, give us some Mark/Lexie hope! I don’t think Meredith should choose general surgery since she was so good at Neuro.

Cristina/Owen: I’ve been rooting for them FOREVER but I totally agree with Owen: think only went Cristina’s way. I’d say stop investing in a relationship like this, they are clearly done. Cristina is an egocentric person who doesn’t know how to share a life. And I’m on his side. Teddy and Cristina laughing behind his back was not done. He’s Chief, Teddy should set an example as head of Cardio and Cristina… she’s not only his employee but also his wife! She doesn’t value him AT ALL. He’s better off without her!

• elr says:

I agree with everything you wrote about Owen and Cristina and would like to add the obvious hurt he shows and feels whenever he sees Cristina interacting with Zola. Its like a slap in the face to him that she can enjoy Zola but she didn’t want his child, even when he said he would raise it. And the whole laughing behind his back by Teddy and Cristina. They both should be fired for going against hisi orders.

• Brooke says:

Eh, that’s not a slap in the face. Cristina herself said that she would love her kids if she had them. She’s not a child-hater, she’s never said she’s incapable of enjoying kids. There’s a huge, HUGE difference in giving that gigantic part of yourself to be a parent and just enjoying your friends’ kid.

11. Emily says:

Abortion stops a beating heart. Period. There is a heartbeat and fully functioning organs. THAT is what Owen, as a doctor, would have to know.

I believe in a woman’s right to choose, but she has to choose to ignore those facts if she chooses to abort.

• Gretchen says:

And as a doctor, Owen would know that the fetus has no brain activity, etc.

Quit saying you “believe in a woman’s right to choose” when you so blatantly repeat anti-choice nonsense and want to guilt a woman.

• emily says:

being pro-choice rarely has anything to do with being pro-abortion. and just because owen “the doctor” knows all the medical facts doesnt mean owen “the would be father” isnt allowed to be heartbroken.

• Rebecca says:

@Emily…. what you just said was so offensive and inaccurate I can’t let it pass. The beginning of a heart would only have two chambers at six weeks. Functioning organs? Not even close! At the age this fetus was (five-six weeks) it had just the rudimentary beginings of organs. Also no brain, no nervous system, just a clump of cells well within the timespan where it could have self-aborted naturally. THAT is what Owen, as a doctor, would have known.
      You need to learn this stuff if you want to be informed about your healthcare. As your life may depend on it one day like mine did.
      Your opinion is irrelevant to the FACTS.
      Inform yourself, stop listening to propagandists and check some medical books. This site just lists developmental stages but it’s a start.
      P.S. Stop lying about being pro women’s rights, either be proud of your ignorance or correct it, it’s pathetic. You say you want women to have rights, but are clealry comparing abortion to murder – do you think I should be in jail because I didn’t give a clump of cells the opportunity to kill me? Learn something before you end up in a country where it’s illegal and fully grown, live women who do have functioning organs are dying because of uninformed people like you.

Everyone else…sorry about the rant, I actually liked that he said “killed” and “baby” because it highlights how you don’t think reasonably when you are emotional. He tried to be supportive of her but they should have seen a counsellor to deal with any issues he has, we know there are some in the hospital. I actually like both characters, but I don’t see how they can get through this if they want such different things (they shouldn’t have married when Cristina still had PTSD). Plus I would find it hard to forget it if a guy said that to me as if it was a simple thing, not to mention calling her a killer, especially considering he should know better. I understand his anguish at wanting a family and feeling he can’t have that with the person he loves but he can’t take those words back. I’d actually like ot see them go to therapy, drag out all thier internal stuff, as they’d both find that quite awkward. But I do wish they would stop doing all the gimmicky episodes they are too good for that, either way. Go writers!

12. Ashley says:

I find it interesting that Callie has a child that looks to be 4+. Was that Owen she was kissing? An Alt-reality wouldn’t adjust the time Owen showed up at Seattle Grace because of his deployment, correct? So if that’s not Owen’s baby… whose is it?

13. Kate says:

I completely DISAGREE about Loretta Devine. I can’t stand her voice. FIngernails on a chalkboard to me. She is so over the top it’s ridiculous.

14. torn says:

While I am pro-choice I don’t believe for a second that enough thought is given to the guy in these situations. As the mother of a young girl I hope she never, ever has to make that choice and as a mother of a young man I hope he never, ever has to go through what Owen is going through. The bottom line is unless you are that woman or that man you have no right to judge.

15. rob says:

I think that Owen gets too much blame. He married someone that didn’t want kids, but Cristina married someone that did. Doesn’t that mean anything? They are both to blame. In the end, it’s all fiction so who cares?

16. shipper says:

Am i the only one who caught the look Jackson gave Kepner? Now that is one Grey’s relationship I can get behind.

• Rebecca says:

Yeah, that was odd, the rant she gave Alex seemed to be abit charged too. I think she is going to find herself in an awkward position when they all live together, can’t wait.

17. Neal says:

I’m loving the dark and twist Lexie!!!!

18. Babygate says:

Excellent review. Greys has come back with a vengeance. The acting, the storylines, the performances are all outstanding. Greys has me feeling bipolar. One minute I’m crying and the next I’m laughing. Love the rhythm and the timing. Derek still bores me without Mer but everything else is excellent. And contrary to the ridiculous pace that they followed last year, this time they are taking their time to tell the story right. All the subtleties are there. Mer’s quandary about her speciality is the perfect lead in to the au episode. Julia has been going out with Mark for 3 months, albeit off screen. But we get the snippets. And I would not be surprised if April and Jackson end up together seeing that they are moving in together without ‘adult’ supervision and without Lexie. Point is, that the writers are taking their time to do things right. I for one cannot wait for the au episode. We take the present realities for granted. But what if things had been different. Shonda is giving us a look behind the curtain and I think is brilliant. Sooo looking forward to seeing Addison and Ellis… And for the record, Loretta Devine was sublime. Her voice was not the greatest but she hit the scene out of the park…

• Biz says:

I agree with your point that Derek is boring without Meredith, he has absoultely no chemistry with Lexie….I hope that Meredith will choose neuro….she spent seven seasons with an apptitude for nuero and she’s switching to general just because she took herself of Derek’s rotation….aren’t their other neurologists at Seattle Grace.

• Ron says:

If you have heard her sing before she’s incredibly talented but i don’t think she was supposed to turn into dream girls diva voice. she was overcome with emotion and her voice was cracking

19. Still watching says:

Great review. Didn’t care for the episode as a whole but broken down so much was so darn good. Loretta was simply just great. So deserving of Emmy last year and I hope again this year. Richard telling Meredith she’s nothing like her mother was fantastic. I hope she believes. I always like when the entire cast is on screen together for a function. Zola birthday/Richard 10,000 surgery was great especially with the widow casseroles because we all know Meredith can’t be umber Mommy overnight. Have to agree with others that Derek and Lexie being in surgery all the time is boring. They need to mix up the residents and attendings. That grouping is FF time and as a Derek fan that hurts to admit. Shame because the patient and his mom were so great.I knew the second Owen spotted Cris and Zola he was going to blow!

20. JT says:

Best ep of the season. Loretta Devine was spectacular and I teared up at the duet. Richard has so much to regret but he stands by his wife and that’s redeeming. I can’t wait for the Owen/Christina fallout. No one even knew about the abortion and now they got a mass announcement, maybe the characters will get to weigh in on the life/choice debate and add to the drama that makes this show so great. I’m pro life, since everyone is throwing in their two cents. Religion aside, I don’t see how two REPRODUCTIVE cells can come together to form anything but new life- we know that cells are a living part of our body and to suggest that a fetus is not alive is kinda backwards. But I get why people feel the need for a choice and I feel bad for both Owen and Christina. Anyway, loved the show this week and can’t wait for the next one.

21. Patrick says:

I don’t see how Cristina and Owen can recover from this one. When your husband believes you killed you guy’s baby…that’s pretty intense. The thing is that their situation is so complicated. Owen is chief, but his issue is that he doesn’t seem to be able to separate his personal and work life. First off, I see how Owen feels like he’s justified because throughout his relationship with Cristina, he has been sacraficing his needs and wants to be with her. It’s sort of a reverse Cristina-Burke thing. And he finally spoke on it, but in a sort of immature way. So he has a right to be angry. And so does Cristina.

She is trying to do her best to make sure Teddy is content now that Henry is dead. This incident was not about Cristina getting her way, but Cristina helping Teddy be okay. So she has a right to feel like Owen is punishing her because he is feeling guilty, and he should. And he’s taking his frustrations out on Cristina, since he only blindly sees Cristina yet again being reckless and selfish.

What I think is so great about their storyline is Cristina has barely sacrificed much to be in this relationship, while Owen has sacrificed a lot and apparently the abortion was the last straw. This has been building up for some time now. If anyone remembers in season 6, episode 13, when Cristina talks about how she sacrificed so much of herself to be with Burke that at the end of the day she felt like she wasn’t her…it reminds me of that. But this time Owen is doing all the sacrificing and Cristina isn’t.

Cristina seems like she’d be great with babies. She’s great with Zola. But she doesn’t want any. Owen married her knowing that. Or did he? Or did he just foolishly think he could change her mind? While I think it is time for Cristina to start making more sacrifices to make her marriage work, I don’t think she’ll be able to take a big step into having kids she does not want. Not at this stage. She would be Ellis Grey 2.0. And at the same time I feel bad for Owen.

• Brooke says:

“IDK, I just really like how complicated their situation is…and I look forward to see how Shonda Rhimes will make this work out or not…”

Yeah, that’s the bottom line. No matter how jackassy any viewers think either of those characters are behaving, it’s absolutely perfect for the drama that comes out of the storyline. You can’t make a lasting TV show without conflict.

22. juan says:

Increadible episode, it was one of its best. Loretta was phenomenal with that scene of them singing, that increadible scene between her and Richard was so good I almost cried a little. Emmy for sure. It was so great and I’ve never really like the chief much but after that I think my opinion has finally changed. Also Wow at the last scene as well. I really don’t like Owen because really some might be Christina’s fault but he is way more at blame in this than she. I mean getting married after the shooting when she is so obviously out of her mind is just not right. Finally I love Mer and hope she chooses the right thing which is definately Neuro, also love her scenes with the chief. How comes she has never had any recognition

23. Paola says:

God people the real answer here is that they both agreed on the abortion thing so Owen has no right to come and say You killed
    Are baby because HE AGREED TO THE ABORTION !!!!!

24. beth says:

Its a TV show! There was no real baby calm down. I could see all this bickering if it was a true story but its not so chill.

25. Michael Thomas Angelo says:

If you pride yourself on being prolife, think about what the lousy life Christina will have being stuck with an unwanted pregnancy. Use the fetus for stem cell research and leave the women alone.

26. Aussie says:

I’m gonna hope that we see Mer talk about her choice with Derek. Maybe Derek will realise that she really want’s to be back in Neuro as there dynamic is undeniable. At the moment it seem’s like General Surgery though.

27. Britt says:

Was I sad when chrsitina decided to get rid of their baby? Yeah! Who wasn’t? They would have been great parents! Was I mad that she didn’t really consult with Owen first? Of course! But she didn’t want to be a mother. And that’s not something that every woman feels. Most women are estatic to become mothers, but she clearly didn’t feel that way. I say shame on her for obvious reasons. And shame on him for obvious reasons. That reason being his outburst at Zola’s party. He had no right saying that the way he did and where he said it. Time and place fore everything!

28. People seem to be rejecting the show’s willingness and capacity to go out on a limb and deposit some verve and incredible creativity into the normal day to day storylines as “gimicky”. No, gimicky is what Dynasty did in the season finale that had Fallon, played by the inappropriate replacement Emma Samms get snapped up into a flying saucer and carried away.
    Or when an entire season of Dallas was explained as one of Pam’s dreams.
    The alt reality and musical episodes of Grey’s Anatomy didn’t harm the show enough so that those who rejected them so strongly should be turned away. They were for one episode. Be open to some flavor, people. The show rocks.