Glee First Look: Meet Rachel's Gay Dads!

That was quick. Less than two days after TVLine broke the news that Jeff Goldblum and Brian Stokes Mitchell had been cast as Rachel’s gay dads on Glee, the acting vets are already on the set shooting their first scenes — and we’ve got the photographic evidence to prove it!

The duo’s onscreen daughter, Lea Michele, tweeted the following picture Thursday with the simple message, “Dads.”

Jeff Goldblum Glee

Earlier in the day, Michele declared, “This is definitely going to be the best day ever. Getting ready to shoot my first scene with my two dads!”

As TVLine reported, Goldblum and Mitchell will appear in the show’s Feb. 14 Valentine’s Day-themed episode titled, “Heart.”

Fun fact: This marks a reunion for Michele and Mitchell. The two appeared together in the 1998 Broadway production of Ragtime.

TAGS:
GET MORE: First Look, News

1. Nerdista says:

Amazeballs.

• JohnT says:

If Stokes is singing, I will watch this episode, because he is GREAT. Have seen him on broadway a number of times. But if he is not singing, I can’t watch this crappy show.

2. Winnie says:

I’m gonna need Glee set designers to have the Berrys display a family portrait almost identical to that photo…

3. cuius says:

I know it’s “musical”-based, but isn’t there an over-emphasis on the LGBT with Glee – it’s a bit stereotypical.

• sash fan says:

There is a family resemblance — but isn’t she supposed to be adopted, i.e., not either of their biological daughter?

• Ed says:

Yeah, Glee does have a lot of LGBT characters, but that makes up for the countless shows that have zero. Another way of looking at it: the show is about a Glee club. Have you ever been around a high school glee club? They typically have more LGBT students than, say, the football team.

• Abz says:

the show is a bit stereotypical in many ways and yet not. they still need to get ratings. however, the show is a pioneer for high school lgbt kids. will the recent bullying in the media, it’s good the kids have this. and this show is exposing wonderful music from various genres to a whole new generations of kids that may have not otherwise seen it. sigh. justin bieber,rihanna, t-pain, etc gets a bit old.

i still enjoy it because i love smash ups and the underdog plot. and i’m in my early thirties. i allot a tiny dose entertainment pop culture per year. glee is on my list of (non)guilty pleasures for 2012.

4. kimmy says:

I can see the resemblance

5. Dude says:

So cute. I hope their introduction has something to do with Rachel marrying Finn.

6. Lulu says:

Excuse me… Where the heck is the continuity?! In the picture from season 1, one of her dad’s was black. Ugh, this show -___-

• AM~Erica says:

I agree with Lulu. Ryan Murphy did NOT stay true to the original vision that was SHOWN in season 1! What up with that? The casting choice is fine…but definitely strayed…

• Michael says:

This often happens in series. Pilots are usually filmed months before a series is even picked up, let alone when the second episode is filmed. For a character like Carole, Finn’s mom, let’s say hypothetically she’d been recast after the pilot. They probably would have just re-filmed her scenes with the new actress. Rachel’s dad were essentially a prop. For all we know, those guys in the picture could just be models with no acting experience. If they’d showed up in ep 2 or 3, the producers probably would have re-shot the photo for the pilot before it aired, but we never saw them, so it was never an issue. It’s wise as a general rule of thumb to give the pilot of any series a free pass when it comes to continuity.

Also, Brian Stokes Mitchell is black. A very light shade, but definitely African American.

• Jay says:

THANK YOU!!

More people need to see your comment because it is accurate.

This type of things happens all the time. Its also why sometimes shows start plots and then forget about them, because in this industry things are in a state of flux; what works one day may not work a year or even a month later. Its part of the medium, television cannot be entirely planned from the beginning because you don’t know what will work or when you might be cancelled. Its not like a book planned methodically, and even the plans they make might change based on availability.

• srw says:

I agree that they have not lost the idea that the couple is bi-racial. You have pointed out that Brian Stokes Mitchell is African American and if people aren’t familiar with him from Broadway (I wasn’t) the latest movie he was in is currently on Starz. Jumping the Broom. He plays the father of the main female lead.

• Kvivik says:

I so agree!!! Not happy at this retcon!!!

• Danyelle says:

FTLOG someone please tell me we are not doing this again……..

• Amanda says:

Brian Stokes-Mitchell is black.

• Richard says:

According to IMD, Brian Stoke Mitchell’s “ethnic background is German, Scottish, African, and Native American.”

• Lena120 says:

Yes, Brian is multiracial, but he considers himself Black. I remember seeing him in a Broadway documentary where he kept referring to himself as a “Black performer.” He was talking about the struggle for Black entertainers to get good roles. So in my mind, he’s Black, just fair skinned. African-American’s come in all different shades.

• JohnT says:

Who cares what collor his skin is, he is simply one of the greatest musical performers ever! This man can sing, stop worrying about stupid things.

• Jim says:

Brian Stokes Mitchell is black. They cast one black man and one Jewish man just like the photo. And really of all the thing glee has us to believe it is a problem that her dads don;t look just like a picture we saw for 5 seconds in the pilot.

7. huh says:

I thought one was supposed to be bla…Jewish?

8. Celia says:

So excited.

9. Tay says:

Again Dang them all to heck for reducing 2 good actors to nothing.

10. Grace says:

I remember Ryan Murphy stating that the guys in the pictures aren’t actors, they were just used to make the pictures.

Besides, I think the quality of the actors they’ve cast far outweighs this problem everyone seems to have with them not being “Black” or “Jewish” enough.

• Jay says:

Completely agree, and its refreshing to see someone get that we now have amazing actors in these roles we’ve been waiting for since the beginning.

11. Loki says:

Blewish.

12. Marc says:

Brownshoe and Jackpot! Now, they have to cast Gregory Harrison and Ben Vereen as their buddies.

13. John says:

Remember how it used to be a joke that one of Rachel’s dads was black and they “didn’t know” who was the real father? Well, it’s funny now (in a less intentional way), because Goldblum actually looks darker than Stokes in that picture!

14. pv says:

Damn you Glee, you’re forcing me to watch you again.

I can’t say no to Jeff Goldblum.

15. champmav says:

Brilliant casting move, the Twitter picture captures why: not only do the actors share some physical resemblance to Lea, the “mixed donation” to surrogate mom Shelby now appears absolutely plausible. They didn’t have to go there, it’s just TV. But I’m satisfied they did go there; and both actors have witheringly talent-laden resumes. Lucky get, Ryan!

16. DE says:

All I see when I see Brian Stokes Mitchell is “Hilary, will you marry me……………….splat.”

17. Michael Thomas Angelo says:

I watch it in hope that Finn will appear in his boxers again and imagine the rest guilt free because he’s not really in high school. He should be cast in Naked Boys Singing in the local community theatre after Glee and football practice, of course. Rachel won’t know.

18. Rachael says:

First, I have to say that I’m excited to be seeing Rachel’s dads and I’m sure they’ll be great. My only disappointment is that I was hoping for Jesse L. Martin and Anthony Rapp to be her dad’s, keep it in the RENT family since Idina played her mom.

19. Crystal says:

In the very first episode, they showed a pic of her dads, and talked about how they mixed the sperm so it would be bu chance and would never know who the biological dad was. But in the PIC one was African america. No one else seemed to notice?

20. Jen says:

does anyone remember they showed her fathers in the first episode, it was a black guy and a nerdy white guy…wonder why they strayed from that. guess they figured noone would remember that long ago