House First Look: Chase Has a Death Wish

House returns from its midseason hiatus Monday with an episode that finds Chase and new girl Adams on opposite ends of the spectrum with regard to a complex moral issue.

Scoop: House’s Marriage Put Under the Microscope!

The episode, titled “Better Half,” centers on a man who checks into Princeton-Plainsboro for an Alzheimer’s drug trial. While monitoring the patient — who they suspect may have tried to take his own life — the comely docs have a frank discussion about life, love, death and suicide.

Press play below and then hit the comments with an answer to this question: Do you still think House is heading in the direction of a Chase/Adams romance after watching this clip?

1. bbc says:

If Alcatraz is doing good, and House is doing bad. It’s most probable that this is going to be House’s last season right?

It’s sad what happened to this show.

• Liz says:

It’s sad what happened to the show during the last two seasons, the Huddy crap was the most awful stuff I’ve ever seen (WORST pairing EVER). Compared to that this season is AMAZING!

• Disagree says:

This season hasn’t been anything close to amazing…and the ratings certainly reflect that…commenting repeatedly about how much you hate Huddy won’t change the fact that the show sucks now.

• mmartian says:

I am confused,
          1) why are you still watching if the show is so bad?
          2) If you are not watching how do you know the show is just as bad?
          3) and why are you still watching clips from a show that is so bad?
          4) and if you arent watching the clip- does this mean you are the show police?

• Denia says:

I agree..till season 6 things were good but after Huddy crap story they ruin everything ….Season 8 is pretty good I think … much better than seasons 1 and 7 …. About Alcatraz OK is still new lol we don’t know what’s gonna happen after a month..House has his fanatic audience and ratings are still good ..7-8 mil its a good number ..

• Mam says:

LMAO Liz the hameron was second this time. You need to hurry up next time to be the first to post a comment. And no, Cameron is not coming back. No one wants her. Not even Chase lol.

• @Mam says:

*sigh Mam/katie/norea or whatever name you prefer today. I never saw Liz writing down any comment which suggested that she is a hameron or Cameron-fan,she simply doesn`t like Huddy. Didn`t you realize on your own that you are the only one who brings Cameron or Hameron into the discussion, lol, your behaviour is as funny as worrisome, malignant obsessive, just saying. Lol

• silvina says:

Chase and Adams, who cares ?

• Evie says:

I love this season! Its AMAZING!!!!!!
      If you don’t like it then don’t watch and if you don’t watch it how do you know its not good????
      Your poor Huddys are all sooooo weird :P

• Noreen says:

This is supposed to be the last season for “House”, anyway.

2. Sara says:

Not yet I hope. Chase has some issues to deal with before he’s boyfriend material.

3. valezza says:

Chase/Adams is boring and predictable. Imagine Chase/Park, huh? That would be weird, but… in a good way.

4. Pix says:

I like the dark turn Chase’s character has taken and it’s more interesting to see it played out this way than to watch his self-destructive series of meaningless flings (what happened to his brief dabble with a drinking problem?) but I don’t think he should get into a relationship. He has more atonement to do before he can live with himself let alone other people.

and if he has to date a co-worker, surprise us, make it Park.

5. Mia says:

Chase is so awesome this season!!!!!!

6. Been There says:

A comment on the content of the clip: My father was hit with a disabling injury when he was 40 and spent a long time in the hospital. He committed suicide shortly after his release (3 days after my fifth birthday), apparently because he didn’t want to be a burden to the family. When happened in the following years – especially my mother’s manic and misguided rush to get married again – resulted in one disaster after another: violence, alcoholism, police, etc. I was largely left on my own and ran away at 15 and was taken in by a loving couple.

About “House” – I haven’t missed it one bit since it went on break and doubt if I shall resume watching it. It’s done everything it can and is now largely an embarrassment. It needs to end, and soon (ditto “Dexter”).

• pat says:

Sorry for your troubles…but House has done more to highlight the problems w mental health in this country than any other show. And for that I thank them. I believe there are areas they still need to covered such as rare diseases that affect millions of Americans. Because I suffer from one of these (RP) every time I am hospitalized They ask whether I am in those dark places of suicide. This show has done a great service by highlighting that suicide is often something contemplated by those with serious illness. I missed it during the hiatus…Alcatraz go a quick switch of the channel and since there wasn’t anything else it was night w classical music and knitting.

7. Pete says:

Jesse Spencer always does great with a dramatic story line! Obviously Chase had a bad time growing up and dealing alone with his alcoholic mother, therefore it is no wonder that he himself does not want to be a burden to others in any case. I can’t wait to see how this one will develop!

8. Jill says:

Jesse Spencer is amazing and I will always watch House as long as he is on ;)
    Chase and Adams don’t really know each other that well yet. If they do learn more about each others personal life I wouldn’t mind seeing them getting together. The only thing that I don’t like about Adams is that is judging people so quickly all the time. Maybe she should ask more questions before doing that.

9. Dani says:

@Liz For the love of God will you stop banging the same ‘I hate Huddy’ drum. We get it. We get that you think this season is amazing too. Sadly the few million viewers that left at the end of last season disagree with you, and I really have to wonder what other shows you watch if you think House is still ‘amazing’. That’s nothing to do with who is and isn’t there anymore either. The bottom line is that the writing is woefully weak and there’s been no shape at all to the overall narrative this season because they clearly have no idea where they are going at this point.

Please don’t put Chase and Adams together just because they’re pretty. That’s about as good a reason for putting Foreman and Thirteen together because ‘Foreteen’ sounds ‘hilarious’. That said hopefully they are finally picking up on what Chase did with the Dibala case. It’s about time.

10. Erica says:

I do hope we will see a lot more of Jesse Spencer from now on :)

11. Lana says:

It’s really sad what happened to this show, because House used to be the best show, ever! :s I’m really sad :(

12. James says:

Of course Chase and Adams should get together! They are SUPER HOT! Its funny that people say it would be too predictable when the truth is that it would be realistic! Hot people get together with other hot people and not with nerds, thats a fact!

13. Pam says:

I think Chase should get together with Adams because they have a lot in common. They are both divorced and yes they are both beautiful which is not a crime you know :)

14. Annie says:

:) :) :) Jesse Spencer FOR THE WIN! :) :) :)

15. Nancy says:

I like Chase a lot but don’t think he needs a romance with Adams just yet. But the name of the show is [H]OUSE and TPTB need to focus on House and HIS story. PLEASE NO MORE TAUB AND THE BABIES!!!!!!!!
    TOTAL WASTE OF TIME!! And I STILL can not understand Parks..sorry.

16. Sara says:

I really wonder now if Chase has a death wish for real and is just waiting for the right moment?! Maybe he wants to sacrifice his life for others to make up for his sins – aka the Dibala incident and maybe other things he feels guilty for. And by the spoilers he heard for eps 11 & 12 maybe he will try to do it then? Of course Chase doesn’t really die because Jesse Spencer is still on set at the moment and they are shooting eps 14 or 15 now. It will be great to find out what really is going on with Chase.

• Sacha says:

Just because Chase gives an opinion to a collegue doesn’t neccesarily mean he has a death wish. He simply said he wouldn’t want to be a burden if he was in the patient’s place. That’s not a death wish IMO, but probably goes back to his own experience with his psycho alcoholic mother. I like how he points out that it is not “naive”. He used to be a bit naive about Cameron but he always took the good with the bad, and he always has been somewhat of a survivour. I want to see that quality in him again. He doesn’t need Cameron 2.0 for that. No romance, but staying true to his character with all his hidden issues would make an awesome development for Chase. If this really turns out to be the last season, I would love to see some closure for Chase, in a healthy, surprising way.

17. Jules says:

Who cares about the ratings!!
    The only thing I care is my favorite show is finally returning+original time slot(8pm)
    True Housefan(like me) stick/glue to their tv since season1,survive the HUDDY overdose and never miss an episodes(even repeats) good or ordinary….
    Like the way season 8 is evolving(remind me of season4)and anticipating the upcoming episodes(“Nobody’s fault – Chase”)…….
    As for a possible romance between Chase&Adams…careful not to turn like the “Chameron” crapfest we endure during season3/6…prefer an interesting teasing sexual(no sex)tension where they can talk/exchange theirs bad/past experiences relationship..but nothing more..
    But honestly, cannot wait until they give us REAL spoilers,like info on Billy Connolly guest staring&the rtn of House’s mom(Diane Baker)and Who’s been cast as House’s real father(maybe Connolly)…
    Anyway, 5 days left to wait…and my favorite addiction&my favorite sarcastic addict diagnostician r back!

18. Kylie says:

Can’t wait to see Jesse Spencer in “Chase”!!!
    I don’t mind Chase and Adams slowly getting closer and maybe together someday

19. kayla says:

I wouldn’t mind it if Chase/Adams had a sort of smouldering relationship like Mulder and Scully from the X-Files – not an in your face relationship. Chase has too many issues to deal with first. I don’t see the appeal of a Chase / Park relationship – Park seems too child-like. I’d like a platonic (brother/sister) relationship for Chase and Park. Regarding Chase’s possible death wish – I think it fits his character (given his tough upbringing, DiBala and divorce) but they have already gone there with a previous character so I’d be surprised if they try it again.

20. Diana says:

If Chase really has a death wish maybe it will be show not as a suicide attempt but rather as reckless behavior

21. Cam says:

It can’t be denied that they have good chemistry together but hopefully, if they do become romantically involved, it won’t be until the end of the season. Chase definitely has a long way to go before he’s ready for another serious relationship. Speaking of which, I can’t wait for episodes 11 & 12. Chase/Jesse Spencer just gets better and better this season.

22. Ilona says:

Jesse Spencer is so amazing! Can’t wait to see everything he is in :)

23. crocme says:

Is this news about Grey’s Anatomy?

24. Emgee says:

“House” is as good now as it ever was. All shows are going to decline in ratings when they’ve been on as long as “House” has and there’s always going to be viewers who have grown attached to characters and are going to hate where their stories are taken.

The fact is though, “House” still has compelling storylines, there are viewers who enjoyed the Huddy trip and there are millions of viewers who continue to watch the show regularly.

If you don’t like the show anymore, that’s your right and your opinion. But why continue to watch? Why click on this article and watch the clip simply to come into the comments and complain? Frankly, it’s really annoying to those of us who still enjoy the show.

• MiMi says:

This, thank you!

• See says:

Why do some make comments and complain, you ask? Probably for the same reason a few people jump into every article about House to say how much they hated Huddy and how glad they are it’s over. As for you, why are you making excuses for the show and the ratings and making it look like it needs to be defended. The stories may be compelling for some viewers and not for others and that is an opinion from a fan. The facts say the ratings are down to a few million and most critics don’t bother to review the show anymore and fansites like this one get a few comments to the former hundreds the show used to generate. While true it seems to be the best show Fox has at the moment, that is not a reflection on the continued compelling stories and good writing but instead a sad commentary on the only reason why the show might be renewed.

• Jim says:

You need to change your name from See to Blind :P
        The show is still amazing and your pathetic whining does not change that.

• Jane says:

@see your comment is just rude and insensitive. Emgee comment was very diplomatic and you have to roll over her because she still likes the show. It may be that a lot of people quit watching House but it doesn`t give you the right to spoil the others fun. It makes you just look bitter & vicious.
        For my part i enjoy this season & i disagree the stories are as compelling & good as in the last seasons before just without romance melodrama and i`m curious to see how Houses story of life continues and i have no problem to say it loud.

• Gillian says:

“If you don’t like the show anymore, that’s your right and your opinion. But why continue to watch?”
      Personally, I used to really love House and considered it the best show on tv. Now IMO it’s just an average show. Many fans still think it’s amazing: for me, it really isn’t anymore, but as you say, it’s a matter of opinions. OTOH, I don’t think it’s that awful, so I keep watching, which gives me the right to comment about it. Sorry, but this whole “if you don’t like the show shut up and leave us “true fans” alone” idea is just silly IMO.

25. SUE says:

I’m happy that Jesse Spencer will get major screentime and I really don’t care if ex-fans don’t want to watch anymore. I will watch it as long as its on!!!!!!!!!

26. Andres says:

I miss the old days when someone could suddenly shoot house or when foreman injected cameron a disease just to force her to try harder into finding a cure. I think there should be a flashback episode finding the team without house and explaining how foreman got the new dean position.

27. Kate says:

She’s certainly no Cameron. (I found Cameron one of the more complex and interesting characters on the show, a reason I used to watch.)

Adams appears to be as rigid and judgemental as Thirteen was. Run, Chase, run.

• LOL says:

I can’t help but laugh because I find Adams to be VERY much like Cameron. Don’t get me wrong, I loved Cameron but in her early years she could also be rigid and judgmental,not to mention naive. That’s what made her an interesting contrast to House. Btw, I hated Thirteen. So glad she’s gone!

• kayla says:

Yes, Adams does seem quite judgmental and Chase doesn’t really appear to be mentally ready for a relationship (in that clip that was posted, Chase seems kind of depressed). So if the two do eventually have a relationship, Adams will probably need to learn some empathy (especially for those who might not have had her wonderful upbringing) and Chase will have to get over some of his issues. Might be an interesting journey for both characters.

• Jane says:

I think Adams shares traits of both Cameron and Thirteen, unfortunately only the worst ones, Ca`s prepossession and 13`s arrogance. Don`t get me wrong it could be an interesting combination and resolute in a cool dynamic between these two. Jesse is a great actor and like you said this journey has the potential to be very crucial for both characters.

• Sacha says:

“I think Adams shares traits of both Cameron and Thirteen, unfortunately only the worst ones, Ca`s prepossession and 13`s arrogance.”

Couldn’t agree more. Chase deserves better than that! I’m hoping for Chase/House-moments. Hugh Laurie and Jesse Spencer are both talented and they have great chemistry.

• Sacha says:

Couldn’t agree more. Chase deserves better than that! I’m hoping for Chase/House-moments. Hugh Laurie and Jesse Spencer are both incredibly talented and they have great chemistry.

28. HouseWife says:

I love House, and it’s 8th season!!! Of course I am a big Chase Fan since season 1 and now I feel like I’m in heaven because Jesse Spencer gets more screentime then ever.
    As for the relationship thing: please don’t. I think Chase has enough issues and he should first find a way to deal with them. I’m not a real big Adams Fan so I don’t want them to get involved.
    I usually do not write in forums, but I’m an avid reader. But now that House threatens to end I would like to spread my ProHouse Season 9 setting. Love the show and hope to be able to see many more episodes …. [H]+9 !!!!!
    And for the former House Fans: find something new and move on! But please don’t post hateful comments. It’s okay that you watch something new. Get over it and let us House Fans enjoy our bliss. Thanks!
    greeting from Austria/ Europe

29. crocme says:

who cares about House’s team? it’s the last season, give us dramas with House.

• Sam says:

Actually I don’t think viewers care that much about House himself anymore therefore its great to see more plots about the other cast!

30. kayla says:

Chase seems depressed in that clip. If that’s correct, then I wonder if it’s because of his early life experiences, divorce and Dibala or whether something more recent has set it off. In response to crocme, above, some of us do care about Chase’s character. He’s been on the show since the first season and he’s portrayed in a really interesting way by Jesse Spencer. House is number one, but it’s good to have solid supporting actors unless you want House to sit in a room on his own and talk to himself for the whole series.

31. Jane says:

I beg to differ: House has “never” been just about House. Its always been about the whole cast. Even though the shows name is HOUSE its not a one man show and never has been!

• Anouk says:

Word. House has always been compelling when he was interacting with others, and I think he’s had most memorable moments with Chase. He wasn’t an a**e like he’s constantly been with Cuddy or Wilson, esp. during S7. I could name a few scenes from the top of my head when House actually showed glimpses of human behaviour/concern/admiration towards Chase. He doesn’t treat him as a subordinate but seems to have some sort of secret affection for him. I hope this will play strongly into the upcoming episodes.
      As for Adams, she’s just as unlikable as Cameron or Thirteen. They don’t seem to be able to write a decent female character anymore, but at least they’ll give us more Chase, so that’s perfectly fine with me.

32. kayla says:

In the clip, Chase says “Kill himself? That’s what I’d do if I were him”. Then I think he says: “In ways, I wish I were”. If that’s correct (I might have misheard him – he mumbles that last sentence), then is he saying that he wished he were dead/dying? If that’s so, then that’s a really disturbing thing to say.

• Carol says:

What Chase actually says is, “At least I wish I would.” I imagine he means he would hope that he has the guts to do it. This is not the first time that Chase has expressed this type of opinion. Back in season two’s “Autopsy”, when the patient would only live about another year if they cure her and had already spent most of her life in hospitals, Chase said: “If it was me I’d just stay home and watch TV or something. Not lie here under a microscope.” I know it’s not exactly the same thing, but I think it represents that he is not afraid of death. With everything he has experienced since then, including Thirteen’s ordeal, I’m not surprised to hear him say this.

• kayla says:

Thanks for the explanation – makes a lot of sense! I wonder if the writers are trying to show that Chase is depressed and then when he meets the nun in the “Chase” episode, she somehow helps him confront his issues.

• Oceandeep says:

Yes, they’ve heavily hinted that when the nun comes into it, Chase will have a ‘real moment’. He’s lost his spiritual way and I truly believe that for Chase this the entire reason he’s all dark and gloomy. He’s lost. ( I also believe that Chase thinks he’s a completely lost cause/soul because of the murder) I think that the nun will either set him back on his spiritual path…( IE he’ll wanna go off and re-join the seminary and then,as a doctor/priest he’ll go to Africa or some other 3rd world country and be a missionary.) If the show is to end; for me, this would be the perfect wind-up for Chase. We all know he’s not lost his faith..( and if any of you disagree with that statement – look up the clip on YouTube where he’s talking about his ‘faith’ in an interview) that it could very well be on the cards. Also if any of you follow Jesse on Twitter, you’ll know that he follows a couple of spiritual tweeters ( Gods daily love and The 3 magi – daily bible quotes)..so if he has any input into his character, maybe he’d like Chase to finish that way. I for one, can’t wait for the season to resume and finally find out. The start of season 8 for me has been a little slow…but still love it :)

33. juan says:

Cameron,Chase,Foreman 20 millones,nuevo equipo todo peor

34. Annoyed327 says:

I love this show but if it keeps in this direction it will end up like Greys Anatomy an that shows sucks terribly.

35. Bamanda Bam says:

Does anyone realize that the characters name was Cuddy?!? Not Huddy. I saw like 15 separate people call her Huddy.

36. marshytcd says:

Don’t put Chase and Adams together or Chase and Park together. Put Chase and Taub together. That would be the ultimate twist.

37. Natalie says:

I still think the show is good. I liked Huddy together somewhat. I always wanted them to be together, but of course the writers screwed it up. I honestly just wish they could’ve had a happy ending and ended the show. Though I guess that’s not really reasonable for this show. But they’ve lost the characters that I liked best (Cuddy, Kutner, Amber, not really Cameron), and it’s just getting sad.

38. Lassie says:

– I am all alone, all alone in the world, but I LIKED House and Cuddy together. I always knew it would be only a matter of time till they hooked up. The ‘breakup’ was done very badly.

– I have always adored the young, beautiful Chase with his beautiful long blond emo hair. Pity what’s become of his looks last year and this, he looks pathetic and ugly. But, as Foreman said in one episode, (paraphrasing): does a patient want to see what appears to be an underwear model as his or her doctor? lol, he has a point and our pretty young Chase must harden and grow up.

– One of the most haunting moments of TV for me, ever, was the one where ex-seminarian Chase prayed over the dead baby before the autopsy. That scene made me cry and still does.

– Park DID invite Chase out for a drink in a previous episode! He accepted, too. I doubt it will go anywhere, but wouldn’t it be hilarious if they DID become a couple? Generic Pretty Girl Doctor would defecate a brick, lol!

– And why does every doctor on every medical show date another doctor (or sometimes nurse) on the same show? Are there no hot pharmacy reps? Are there no hot EMTs, or people who live in the apartment across the hall from them, bar tenders or bar maids, lawyers/cops/circus performers – or even attractive patients? They don’t have to be patients being treated by them – Chase could consult with an orthopedic surgeon and fall for a girl with a bum leg. (Or meet “that one special patient, the one I can’t get out of my mind” … that would be me, lol, he’d find me unforgettable, track me down, and come knocking on my door to see how I was doing.)

Well, I’m sure its the last season. Let’s just watch. Or not. There will always be re-runs.

• Oceandeep says:

Yes the ‘prayer’ scene was pretty harrowing stuff and Jesse play’s ‘hurt and lost-soul’ wonderfully. Personally, I think he’s the most intriguing character. Only insomuch that they’ve kept so much hidden and left it all for us to speculate. It’s certainly made for some interesting fanfics out there..lol. There has been no news yet if House will end this year. I would think that Fox would try hard to keep it. ( ratings still good) Remember, it’s one of the most syndicated programs in the world ( apart from the BBC’s Top Gear) and for Fox this means mucho bucks in their pockets. I personally think they’ll eek out a 9th and call it a day. 10 would be a dream, but that’s gonna be hard and only a handful of shows have made the megga 10th season ( smallville inc) :)

• Anouk says:

It was such a disappointment when they made Chase ‘comic relief’ in S7. It didn’t seem to fit the character at all, and now he falls into extremes and goes psycho all of the sudden? They could have done that in S6 after the Dibala incident when it would have made much more sense. I was so hoping for some good House/Chase stuff in the wake of this, yet it never happened, and I still think it was a missed opportunity. Yes, Chase is or has been an intriguing character up until last season, and I hope the writers can give him back his depth without making him desperate and/or hook him up with that awfully judgemental Dr. Adams.

• suzmum says:

You’re not alone – I also really (really) loved Huddy – and I think it was the easy choice to break them up. I am finding Season 8 uneven: I liked the first two episodes, plus Dead and Buried, but not the others. In , , and , one has the sense that House has indeed been changed by his experiences in prison – that he is less selfish than before. But in the other episodes, there is too much medical nonsense, and not enough of the reltaionships between the members of the team.

39. Rachel says:

Ok here it is coming from a not big tv watcher who loves big when I do love a show and who loved and loves House. It’s NOT it’s best season (I loved HUDDY and also most of what came before and some of what came after) but its still House. They have aired 7 full seasons, had some major cast overhauls and HAD to change the relationships etc at least temporarily thx to the direction they went in the finale last yr. it’s been over a yr in the storyline, his few friend and co workers remaining had to be pissed at him for what he did not just to Cuddy but also for worrying them and disappearing for mos etc so parts we’ve enjoyed like the House/Wilson banter weren’t there for a bit but ultimately I think there were interesting parts and they showed who was loyal to him and cared ENOUGH to b pissed. Also I think another yr could b good as they are starting to feel their way. But either way if you no longer enjoy stop watching and realize not liking one storyline aka block of episodes dorsbt necessarily have to mean the death of a great series. And if enough of us and therefore the powers that be or the writers n producers eyc decide that IT IS the end that doesn’t take a thing away from what’s been an educating and fun series!!! They not only mentioned my “ultra rare” disease 3 times that I’ve noticed (Gauchers Disease) and brought awareness about others they’ve made us learn, AND BELLY LAUGH in the same minute many times and I’ll always love them all at the show for that:)

40. Trp007 says:

Yes the Dibala(sp?) thing should come to light. For example the priest chase made his confession to becomes a patient of theirs and freaks out when he sees chase and refuses care from him.

41. Vodka Martini says:

People still fighting over shippers?!

42. Oceandeep says:

@Trp007..now that WOULD be funny! lol

43. Sam says:

There’s a difference there …
    Her last name was Cuddy, but House and Cuddy together as a couple were/are called Huddy … So when people write about Huddy, they mean both of them together …

44. Rena says:

To answer the question, I see nothing in this clip to think they will have romance, but it will not surprise me. Why do characters always have to fall in love with each other in TV shows? Can the writers not think of good stories anymore so they must turn it into a soap opera?

House was a good show first few seasons, but has gone downhill ever since.

45. shiremaid says:

I agree with CHASE 100%!

46. peggy ervin says:

If you are such House fans, why are you calling her “Huddy ” ? Does anybody realize that the character’s name is Cuddy?

47. Noreen says:

NO, Jesse Spencer’s character “Chase” needs a better storyline that hooking up with a girl who doesn’t “get” him.

48. liz says:

But thirteen was HOT!!! kindov was better when she was in too!

49. lacra says:

I miss Olivia wife from the show, the rest of it, still good, still learning lots. Of things. :-)

50. lacra says: