The CW Orders Pilots for Green Arrow Series, Sex and the City Prequel, Beauty and the Beast Redo

The CW on Wednesday doled out pilot orders for three buzzy projects: Arrow, The Carrie Diaries and Beauty and the Beast.

Arrow, a present-day take on the DC Comics archer Green Arrow, will be written and executive-produced by Eli Stone‘s Greg Berlanti and Marc Guggenheim, as well as The Vampire Diaries‘ Andrew Kreisberg. Justin Hartley, who portrayed the crime-fighter on The CW’s Smallville for several seasons, is not tied to the project.

The Carrie Diaries — which marks the second pilot pickup of the year for Gossip Girl EPs Josh Schwartz and Stephanie Savage — follows the the life of a high school-aged, pre-Sex and the City Carrie Bradshaw.

Earlier this month, The CW picked up its first pilot of the year, Cult, a thriller from the aforementioned Schwartz and Savage.

TAGS: , , ,
GET MORE: News, Pilots

1. Jon says:

“Beauty and the Beast, meanwhile, is loosely based on the 1980s sudser starring Linda Hamilton, but adding a modern-day procedural twist.”

They’re not adding that. That was in the original 1980’s version.

2. Fernando says:

I like Ringer n Hart of Dixie hope they stay n get Renew. I hope Next season will be Gossip Girl final season n I live 90210 but ratings aren’t great so maybe make next season the final season as well

• dee123 says:

I’d be more worried about Nikita or 90210.

• Jamie says:

I don’t know why Nikita dropped so low this year, but I feel like the CW would renew that over Ringer.

• Anne says:

I hope that they renew both “Nikita” & “Ringer”, but I actually think they’d sooner get rid of “Nikita”. They gave it a second season and it’s not performing well. “Ringer” is brand new, probably costs less to make and SMG is a much bigger star than Maggie Q.

3. Katie says:

Not wise to not include Justin Hartley. CW would benefit from the continuinity of him being the Green Arrow.

• robinepowell says:

I couldn’t agree with you more. It’s not like this Green Arrow is being made some years later, as a newer version of the character or anything.

Whoever portrays Green Arrow won’t hold a candle to Justin Hartley.

• raelee514 says:

Exactly, they have to wait at least five years for us to maybe forget the AWESOME of Justin Hartley as Green Arrow.

• BL says:

So it is possible that Schwartz and Savage could have FOUR shows on the CW next year?!?!? The CW is pathetic. While I still love and forward to GG every week, it needs to end next year. The though of S&S having up to four hours a week on a network that only has ten primetime slots is disturbing. Like someone else said, the CW’s top shows are more fantasy/supernatural type shows. The network lost it’s teen//young adult niche to ABC Family. I am not against a Carrie Diaries show, but I do not have high hopes for given what network it’s attached to.

Also, WTH isn’t Nikita on the same night with Ringer?!??

• Jer says:

It seems only the female demographic liked JH as GA. Me and many of my friends didn’t like him portraying GA at all! Anyway, having a new GA will make many others who didn’t watch Smallville give it a shot.

• Carolyn says:

While I am part of the female demographic, I agree with you about Justin Hartley. As Oliver and the Green Arrow he certainly was great to look at, but his acting left a lot to be desired. I found myself actually laughing out loud more than a few times at the way he threw out his lines.

• EmeraldK says:

Glad to know the standard bar is set that low.

Looks like a lot of you are in for a future of heartache, you can’t keep Justin Hartley as Green Arrow forever, they will be many who will probably play him, OOOOOK. This is fan ownership at its worst. You have to remember he is just an actor playing a role. Get used to it, or get out of the way and let those who want the show to happen, have the voice, regardless of who is playing the role.

• Anne says:

I agree. He was a popular character on “Smallville” and it only makes sense to do a spin-off of a popular show, rather than starting from scratch. I think it would attract a lot more viewers than a brand new version of Green Arrow.

• SuperMax says:

You just cant let go of smallville, come on there is NO logic in all this. You want what you want, you want to see Justin in that Green leather again being Ollie. You want to recreate smallville. Its about your desires, NOT logic.

Recasting the same guy will do swat to the ratings. People were fans of Smallville not Arrow, Hartley does not have millions of fans to carry a show, just the tiny minority, in their tens and hundreds that think that the world will fall if someone else play arrow. People watch new shows, if they are interesting. shows like supernatural started from ero and worked their way, cause they had a good thing going. Same thing happen to any new show, arrow is lucky it will already have comic fans and some smallville fans, but that doesnt mean , much it has to built its own strong loyal fanbase. It can do that by playing the game right. Good storytelling to perfection and everything else

Some few actor fans are not going to save the show LOL.

• Tarc says:

I’d think it would be completely ‘wise’ to hire someone new for the new series. It’s not a spin off from Smallville, and they took the SV Arrow in many non-canon directions. Nothing against Hartly, whom I generally like, but a different gig would be a lot better for his career. And for a new series, they would be more likely to start from stratch, use a slightly older lead (and someone that can actually grow the requisite scruff), so they can add his sidekicks as teens. It simply maximizes plot potential.

4. Kidwynn says:

I hope for “Arrow” the power that be over at CW begin talking to Justin Hartley to play Green Arrow. If they want to make him a bit older the only other person who could fill the role is Josh Holloway (Sawywer from Lost).

• Jason says:

interesting josh holloway would be pretty wicked… and yvonne strahovski for dinah lance!

• Carmichael says:

> and yvonne strahovski for dinah lance!

I’d rather not have that, I’d rather her be free for something I’d actually want to watch instead of some CW drivel

• Ari says:

I know that 90% of the CW shows are drivel but I also know that The Vampire Diaries is one of the shows I most look forward to each week. The storytelling is fantastic, quick, and engaging. Ever since I started watching TVD I’m more willing to give new CW shows a chance. They can pick good shows! Sometimes….

• GK says:

Supernatural and TVD are not drivel. In fact, Spnl is the best show on tv! Other than those two and Nikita, all the other shows are not for me. I give every show which debuts on CW a chance just because of those two shows.

5. Jamie says:

I hope they order Golddigger and the drama from JJ Abrams/Mark Schwahn.

6. Jeff says:

That is an embarrassingly awful list of series ideas.

a) No one cares about Sex and the City anymore.

b) That old Beauty and the Beast show was god awful. Saying the new one is based on it is not good publicity.

c) There is absolutely zero appeal to the mainstream CW audience for a Green Arrow TV show unless they do the intelligent thing and make it a Smallville spin-off. That would at least spark the interest of the Smallville fanbase and bring them in.

• Tarc says:

Yeah… not so much. I’ll be the spin on SatC will grab the Gossip Girl (ack) and the 90210 folks. Batb was *hugely* popular in it’s original run, and it lasted long after the ratings would indicate because it had such devoted viewers. There is no indication this would be any different, as there seems to be a current shortage of nightime romance programs (Once Upon a Time being the closest, and it’s doing quite well). And frankly, they’d be insane to try and spin Green Arrow off Smallville. There is way, way too much baggage there, and the took the part very far away from the traditional Arrow into places that would not be very conducive to a stand alone series. Is it possible? Yes, but I’m not sure I want to see the product of the torture in that writer’s room. Best to start fresh.

7. Jamie says:

I guess you’re a bitter Smallville fan?

Who are you to say nobody cares anymore?

1) SATC did great for HBO and sprawned to big movies the Carrie Diaries book is successful.

2) If Beauty and The Beast wasn’t liked or didn’t do well before they wouldn’t try again

3) I can’t argue with that.

8. Linda says:

LOL, I think they’re trying to hurry up and find something to fill in the gap for the horrible Remodeled?

Doesn’t the Carrie Diaries sound a bit too much like Gossip Girl?

I agree, if they’re going to do a Green Arrow show, it should be a spin off of Smallville to get those viewers.

9. raelee514 says:

They should have done Green Arrow right after Smallville with Justin Hartley!

Never watched Sex and City, wouldn’t watch a prequel.

Maybe on the Beauty and Beast thing, but it’d have to be done well, and good.

What about the Eric Kripke things in the works for CW?

10. Jamie says:

No, no and no. None of these interest me and sound like they have a shelf life of about 3 episodes. If Nikita isn’t renewed for a season 3, not even TVD will keep me tuning into this crapfest of a network. I’ll be done for good and just watch TVD online.

11. eviltwit says:

Green Arrow will NOT be Justin Hartley? Count me out.

12. Katie says:

The CW should take a look at their highest rated shows. Which I believe are Vampire Diaries, Supernatural, and Secret Circle. All of which involve fantasy in one way or another. Ringer and Heart of Dixie are doing reasonably well no thanks to 90210 and Gossip Girl, which I used to enjoy but is on its last legs.

Instead of a Sex and the city prequel which does sound to much like GG they need to focus on fantasy its what brings in ratings and its what made the WB more popular than the CW has been.

• Stacy B. says:

I totally agree with you they should focus on the fantasy aspect. I mean look at the run of WB they created Buffy, Angel, Charmed, smallville, Supernatural. I mean the list just keeps going on and on. As for the green arrow show I think if they want it to be successful they should bring back Justin Hartley.

13. Mandy says:

I was excited for the Carrie Diaries, until I read that it will be about Carrie in her highschool years. There’s enough shows like that already (Gossip Girl, 90210). I’d like to see her after highschool, in college, trying to get her career going, etc.

• a. says:

exactly.
      just what we need *rolls eyes* – another show about barely legal teenagers being overly sexual and only caring about fashion/clothes and relationships (instead of school etc.)..

14. JJ says:

Kudos to The CW for moving forward with Arrow and for NOT going with Hartley. Don’t get me wrong, he was a great Oliver Queen but Smallville’s fanbase isn’t enough and I for one don’t want a “new” show that’s a spinoff from a decade long other show. Start fresh. Of course I wish they were announcing a Wonder Woman show instead but I’ll take my superheroes where I can get them.

I’m intrigued about The Carrie Diaries but I do wish the actress they cast a lot of luck as she’ll be scrutinized and compare to SJP and the original show.

CW needs to cut the dead weight like 90210 and Ringer. Fans or no fans the ratings are painfully low and the network needs to grow to something larger than finishing behind Univision. FOX has gone on to great things but CW is still barely a notch above Syfy Channel.

15. Mark says:

So will the Carrie Diaries be a modern teenage Carrie Bradshaw OR one that grew up in the 80s?

16. AT says:

I’ll admit I’m not interested in the Carrie Diaries, that’s just not my type of show, but I’ll give BATB as well as Green Arrow series a chance. Both sound like they would be a good fit with the CW.

17. Tyler says:

Jennifer Lawerence as Black Canary PLZ!!!!

18. nina says:

I’ll watch Carrie Diaries if Katie Cassidy is cast as Carrie

19. Mitch Bauer-Rapp says:

Why would these producers want to tie themselves down to ten seasons of Smallville by doing Green Arrow as a Smallville spin off. Then fans will expect all the Smallville actors to put in appearences and many might not be interested. Then you get pissed Smallville fans ragging on the show because their old favorites aren’t showing up. And that continuity is all screwed up because Arrow contradicts episode 166 of Smallville. Better for the producers to start fresh and put their own spin on things and take responsibility for their own stuff and not other producers stuff. The time for a Hartley led Green Arrow series was while Smallville was on the air. This possible series is several years too late.

• Brendan says:

You might very well be right, but the problem is that no one will watch if Hartley is not Green Arrow. You don’t need the Smallville cast for it to be successful but you do need Hartley. Put Smallville’s Green Arrow back in Star City and do something to cover up his identity and it will be the best chance this show has of being successful.

• Tarc says:

Plenty of people will watch regardless of the choice of lead, and you’d get a fresh start at new viewers BECAUSE you choice a new lead (and started the plot anew).

• wednesday says:

I was a huge fan of Smallville & of Justin Hartley as Green Arrow and can’t imagine anyone else playing him so I won’t be watching that show. So I wish the show the best of luck. I did watch Beauty and the Beast & loved it. To me it was a classic, why mess with it. Generally nowadays when people are trying to do remakes or reboots of older shows they have failed miserably. This new Nikita isn’t fairing well. You want good Nikita watch the original. Nothing compares to the chemistry between Peta & Roy! I loved Sex & the City, but high school Carrie, I don’t think so.

As long as they keep Supernatural, Vampire Diaries and Hart of Dixie, I don’t care what they put on.

• Supermax says:

Boo, Boo , bull thats what they all say, but we all know it its all LIES. You will check out the show, and even start to watch it. After that you will stay on and rant, the whole season, maybe the one after that, and after that, and rant some more how he is not the smallville Green Arrow, how it sucks blah blah. Sick of all these games people, sick of all you drama queens.

Don’t be party poopers, let see what this new show can do. seriously stop spreading these lies, and trying to curse this show with bad luck. just because you are selfish and don’t want anyone else to play this fictional character and you are so obesssed with this actor, does not mean the rest of the world is.

20. Brendan says:

I hope that means Justin Hartley is not tied to the project… YET.

Otherwise you might as well just scrap the project now and save the resources.

• Supermax says:

SOUR GRAPES

You are deluded. Wake up and smell reality. Green Arrow was alive and well decades ago before this Hartley guy was even born. Do yourself a favour and crossover.

• josh says:

Justin Hartley is a mother f!uck!n BOSS!!! you are probably just a couple of loser dudes that are jealous of his great looks and acting ability. GET OVER IT!!!!!!!!!! if he isnt arrow, then it isnt worth watching

• T says:

totally understand but if they need another actor CHRIS EVANS from fantastic four and captian america
          when preveiws came out for captain america i thought it was justin hartly they could both play in a superhero movie about two brother
          chris evans is the only one who can pull it off because he looks like him & play in 2 hero movies
          they choose anyone else forget it
          barely seen preveiws for avengers and got matt g from 13 goin on 30 to play captain america they should havegot justin hartly

21. sara says:

as for the pilots green arrow and maybe cult are the only ones i have interest in so far

for the CW shows
    gossip girl – final season .. maybe
    hart of dixie – love it want more
    90210 – should of ended at season 2
    ringer – like it but wouldnt be to mad if it got caned
    one tree hill – ill miss
    whatever else w.day has – dont care
    vampire diaries – can we get at least one episode a week all year?
    secret circle – note above
    nikita- dont like at all
    supernatural – note tvd/tsc

the carrie diaries first name change tvd has that and seems point less we know how it ends and nobody cares about sex in the city anymore who is under 35

beauty and the beast well see just seems weird to once upon a timeie and really cw could out do that

22. Steve says:

Arrow without Justin is a crazy idea – not interested if they don’t cast him.

23. Jack says:

I will give Cult, GA and B&B a shot. But the only one I definitely will be watching is Kripke’s Deadwood which will be awesome! They need to order the JJ drama. Though having Mark in it makes me less optimistic about the show not being a teen soap opera.

24. TJCrinc says:

no justin hartley? BOOO!!!

25. Julie says:

«The Carrie Diaries»?? Soooooo original for a title don’t you think? Perhaps the CW should change the titles of all of its shows (The Supernatural Diaries or The Winchester Diaries, The Tree Hill Diaries, The Sarah Michelle Gellar’s Character’s Name in Ringer’s Diaries, The Chuck and Blair Diaries…) in hopes that everyone will start watching the network….
    *sighs*

• josie says:

Actually you should check your facts before posting things like this… The reason it has that name could just as well be that it is written over a book called “The Carrie Diaries”, what a surprise that it could be something else than taking the title from TVD… perhaps… no… could it be that they decided on that title in the hope of that long time Sex and the City fans who decided to read those book (those about Carrie in high school) in the hope they decided to follow the show, or anyone else who have also read the books for that matter… No you are right that could in no way be the point… sorry my mistake… or not…

• Julie says:

And apparently you have never heard of sarcasm. I don’t care I don’t watch TVD nor will I ever have anything to do with Sex and the City. Jokes ARE allowed on this site.
        Fact is, I wasn’t trying to make a point. I was just trying to have fun. You should try it sometimes too.

26. Dee says:

Just because they order pilots to be produced does not guarantee that they will actually see any broadcast time, right?

Because 4 pilot orders makes me seriously worry for both Ringer and Nikita. Hell, even Supernatural could be in danger.

• T says:

no way SUPERNATURAL is in any danger because when sam and dean went to hell they didnt show it.with the season with lucifier(same actor being human bishop)they were goin to cancel all dean & sam fans wrote and we( carry on my wayword son they be peace when your done)there going to show purgatory like in walking dead andrea finds the girl with two zombies chain to her.AMC would grab supernatural in a heartbeat and play both show same nite.at least if u miss supernatural you can catch up the next week!!!!!!!

27. I’m actually looking forward to the Green Arrow pilot. I didn’t watch Smallville, so I don’t care that they’re not using the same actor. If they use the same actor, it’ll have to coincide with the Smallville universe, and considering that show was on for 10 years, I think it’s better they start fresh and try to create a new thing. I’m not too interested in the other 2 pilots.

28. Luis says:

If they want to treat GA as older, more cynical, closer to his comic book persona, then better to go with someone other than Justin Hartley

29. sarah says:

IF all these shows get picked up for the fall where the heck will the put the 4 new shows? There is 1 time slot on Wednesday for half the season when ANTM is not on

30. Volcfom says:

I’ll check out The Carrie Diaries. I enjoyed the book, and it would be fun to see it on screen.

31. Sebastien says:

I don’t think CW will cancel Ringer because SMG is pretty big. I think they’ll give it a 2nd chance. Nikita is unfortunately overlooked. It’s a great show on a horrible night. Like others have said, it should be paired with Ringer on Tuesdays. I hope it gets a 3rd season. Both Ringer and Nikita have the distinction of basically being the only shows on CW which isn’t geared towards 14 year olds. Not every show on the network has to be Gossip Girl, which doesn’t even get good ratings.

32. tvaddict says:

Arrow & Cult look interesting. Order those and keep TVD, TSC, Supernatural, Hart of Dixie, & Nikita

33. Jasna88 says:

lOL again with teen crap. No, CW wont change.

34. Jasna88 says:

CW ordered 5 new pilots (4 scripted+1 reality game show). By some logic they need to get rid of 5 out of 8 shows. We all know they will fight with arms and legs for SPN and TVD to stay. So there is only 1 spot left.

35. Kd says:

Correction Supernatural WAS the best show on TV. Sucks now. :/

36. Elle says:

I loved The Carrie Diaries books so I would love to see a good TV series come from it and obviously i’m a massive fan of the original TV show and I even liked the first movie!Green Arrow could be interesting but again it would have to be done well the Beauty & The Beast thing i’m not feeling theres enough paranormal romance out there.Hopefully The CW will finally axe Gossip Girl as its terrible and I don’t want it to get like OTH!

37. Erin says:

I am an avid SATC fan, so I am excited at the thought of the Carrie diaries, but that’s a big undertaking. I really just hope they don’t botch it and piss off all the SATC fans out there! It’s definitely a dangerous move!

38. RyanF says:

AMBER HEARD for BLACK CANARY!!!

I want RYAN GOSLING for GREEN ARROW, but hey there is not a chance in hell for the later

39. dawn says:

Let’s see – No Justin Hartley and the writers that absolutely DESTROYED the Green Lantern movie. That sounds even worse than NBC’s bomb “The Cape.” This pilot should go about as far as the Wonder Woman reboot!

Why CW? Why?