Exclusive

Glee Exclusive: Rachel's Gay Dads Revealed!

As far as parental cliffhangers go, it’s second only to the identity of the Mother on a certain CBS sitcom: Glee has finally cast Rachel’s gay dads, and TVLine can reveal which musically-inclined actors landed the plum parts.

A show insider confirms to TVLine exclusively that onetime Law & Order: Criminal Intent detective Jeff Goldblum and Broadway veteran Brian Stokes Mitchell have been tapped to play Hiram and LeRoy Berry, the adoptive parents of Lea Michele’s character.

First Look: Glee Pays Tribute to the King of Pop!

The duo will first appear in the show’s Valentine’s Day episode — which as luck would have it will actually air on Feb. 14, and is titled “Heart.” And yes, they will sing.

Although Goldblum is best known for his movie and TV work, he’s also an accomplished jazz pianist who made his Broadway debut back in 1971 in the Tony-winning musical Two Gentleman in Verona.

Glee Scoop: Will Finn Be Back Next Season?

Mitchell, meanwhile, is something of a Great White Way legend, having appeared in dozens of high-profile productions including Jelly’s Last Jam, Ragtime, Man of La Macha and Kiss Me Kate (for which he won a 2000 Tony Award for Best Actor.) His TV credits include playing Kelsey Grammer’s onscreen nemesis on Frasier and a love interest for Vanessa Williams’ Wilhelmina on Ugly Betty.

Thoughts?!

TAGS: , , , ,
GET MORE: Casting News, Exclusive, Glee, News, Scoop

1. Zach says:

First of all Jeff Goldblum is Jewish and second when did we look to glee to be a realistic depiction of anything. It’s just a tv show. Get over it! Black white Chinese does it really matter if he’s a good actor.

2. Tisha says:

Goodness gracious the comments on her are ridiculous. Who cares what shade he is. It is a television show. I’ve never seen such a debate about a persons skintone or whether he’s black or not. To me it’s obvious he’s of mixed heritage. How he identifies himself is his own business.

3. Carolina Girl says:

Brian Stokes Mitchell – Thats the guy from Trapper John MD!! I still looks lovely!!

4. Carolina Girl says:

Brian Stokes Mitchell – That’s the guy from Trapper John MD!! HE still looks lovely!!

5. Emma says:

He’s not as dark skinned as the man in the first episode. So what?! I love Glee but you just gotta accept these things in tv-shows. It happens all the time. Like hey, didn’t they change Rosalie in Twilight? And in the 2nd Harry Potter movie they had an actor for Tom Riddle, however in the 6th movie they cast another guy as Tom Riddle. This being because the actor from the second movie would be too old! Stuff happens. Real life interferes with who can or can’t play a part. Get over it. Honestly. Now, I’ve never heard of these actors before (I’m Swedish) but I’m sure they will be great.

6. Candace says:

Brian Mitchell? Honestly? They’ve already shown Rachel’s dads in her locker. He was no light-skinned black man. Geeze, can we please have more lack of continuity?

7. Dan says:

Don’t they were black and white? like I saw the picture in the pilot when rachel is open the first chapter of the season

8. Karin says:

Weren’t Rachel two gay dads shown in the pilot when she said she didn’t know which one was her biological dad since they had mixed their sperm no to know? (Which was funny since one of them was black)? Now they are adoptive parents ?

9. Agustina says:

My goodness RIB… i just want continuity. Is that much to ask? I know is a freaking show but continuity…

10. Emmy says:

I’m not going to start another “He’s not black” “Yes he is” argument. The only issue I hav with Brian Stokes Mitchell is that he isn’t Taye Diggs :( LOL
    Seriously though, we done with the casting :)

11. Patrick Gibson says:

Well I must be really old (47) cause he’ll always be Dr. Justin “JackPot” Jackson from Trapper John MD and also from his performance opposite Vanessa Williams in Kiss Of The Spider Woman, Broadway 1993.

12. Lilzza says:

Yer wasn’t he black with glasses? I liked him. He was awesum :))

13. Julia says:

So what about the photo Rachel has in her locker of her mum and her two dads? It’s in the first season. Are they in that photos?

14. Rachel says:

You’re very brave suggesting that South Africans are characterised as white: it was white skinned Dutch immigrants who introduced apartheid into SA following the Boer War and further civil unrest. Apartheid still survives if we characterise SA people as white: white skinned people in SA are a minority group who held ultimate power until fairly recently. Remember Archbishop Desmond Tutu and think on Nelson and Winnie Mandela as truer examples of SA people.

15. Eric McGill says:

Author, the correct title is “Two Gentlemen OF Verona.” Brush up on your shakespeare.

16. liesl says:

I think its a gleetastic show but taye diggs would have been wonderful you can only pretend so much the guy is so far from black his almost green

17. Luis says:

Frakkin’ Awesome!!!

18. bianca says:

It’s about time that they cast Rachel’s dads. About time.

19. Bewitched says:

I wonder if they went through that much controversy when Darren was played by a whole different guy multiple seasons in. Casting changes. It’s just realistic, even if Glee is not.

20. Carl says:

“the adoptive parents of Lea Michele’s character”

do your research…. Rachel was NOT ADOPTED….

21. lucky girl from a country of Europe says:

Hey guys
    Look there are such good makeup artists at the TV productions so they can make someones skin darker or lighter for the show! If you don’t trust me search for it, but you don’t have to because I know what I’m taking about… So just relax its just television and not the real life, and the casted actors are in my opinion the Best for the gay characters of the gay dads! Best wishes <3 ;) :)

22. lucky girl from a country of Europe says:

P.s.:
    And if not…
    Don’t be crazy JUST because me ONE DETAIL in the fist episode me the first Season Ok? Just relax and chill out!

23. Em says:

i just happy to know that the Valentine’s Day episode is ACTUALLY on Valentine’s Day!!! :D i hope for a lot of KLAINE SCENES!!!

24. KDD says:

Seriously who cares about the photo? Do we ven know who those guys are? Plus if you know anything about genetics (which Glee writers clearly don’t), a “dark-skinned” person can have a light-skinned child.

25. liz says:

OMG people! Obviously none of you follows Brian’s work because he is very much black! And Jeff can pass for Jewish, right?

26. liz says:

Wow! You got a lot of learning to do. In no way does being dark mean a person is African. Likewise if a person is light they can very much be 100% percent African. Someone obviously slept during Biology

27. Austin says:

THIS IS CRAP. Why aren’t her dads the same two from the Pilot?

28. Sami says:

Aww…I was SO hoping for John Barrowman to be one of them…He’d have been PERFECT, including stage/singing experience, and he’s SO hyper and energetic, it’d be AMAZING for the show!

29. starr says:

My main issue is that they called it a CBS sitcom… Glee is on Fox…

30. Nicole says:

Ok It might be really dumb question. But, what’s a pilot?

31. Annoying says:

The dads from the picture in the pilot were not actors. Get over it.

32. Toni says:

The african American gene is dominant and if someone has it in them it will so in almost every generation. I’m African american, Indian, Spanish, and Italian and the African American shows more

• Bobby says:

Wow that statement is outlandish and very sad seeing it come from someone who is multiracial. I come from a long line of a multiracial family (African & French heritage). We had and have family members who could “pass” as white. There is no “African American gene” but there are genes for skin color, eye color, hair color and texture but no “African American gene”. If you get a curly haired gene from your dad and a straight hair gene from your mom then your hair will become a mixture in between the two depending on how curly or how straight the genes were from your your parents. The hair would be less curly then the father because of the straight hair gene. The same with skin color.

33. Buddman says:

Okay, is this a “gun” fight battle of “whites wits” in which a large percentage of the “fight participants” have shown up with plastic butter knives and sforks against any large gauge assault weapon? I’m just asking because I have actually read each and every comment, and it certainly appears that is the very scenario I have LMAO while reading? I have far over estimated the IQ of a great many GLEE fans, I am now sadly aware of!?! I am white (with absolute certainty), but I have a number of blended and black family members who could not and would not be so ignorant and/or racist, not that I’m saying ALL the participants in this epic battle were either one! It just seems that FAR more than a few of the participants were both, in this war…QUITE AMAZING & alarming, all at the same time?

34. Bobby says:

Initially I thought both of the fathers were Jewish so I’m just happy one of them is kinda or a little bit black! Woo!

35. Unquestionably believe that which you said. Your favorite reason
    appeared to be on the web the easiest thing to be aware of.
    I say to you, I definitely get annoyed while
    people consider worries that they plainly do not know about.

You managed to hit the nail upon the top and defined out the whole thing without having side effect , people can take a signal.
    Will probably be back to get more. Thanks

36. Do you mind if I quote a few of your articles as long as I provide credit and sources
    back to your site? My blog is in the exact same niche as yours and
    my visitors would definitely benefit from some of the information you provide here.
    Please let me know if this ok with you. Thanks!

37. Potatoes:Yes indeed!, several people currently have appropriately alleviated wart due to
    carrots. The operation is rather simple, take a organic potato then cut it on
    to one half of, take out the over all skin. Well get started in massaging each area affected by
    using spud or make it happen for a few years. Then you’re fresh the finish and
    as a consequence become dry the situation with the natural.
    Do this approach as soon as each and every single Couple of hours in addition to maybe available for A couple
    of a long time. Scared of it is extended periods project having said that i speculation each
    of home cures works amount reduced compared with what high tech
    devices.

38. Greetings! Very helpful advice in this particular
    article! It’s the little changes that will make the largest changes.
    Many thanks for sharing!