Exclusive

Glee Exclusive: Rachel's Gay Dads Revealed!

As far as parental cliffhangers go, it’s second only to the identity of the Mother on a certain CBS sitcom: Glee has finally cast Rachel’s gay dads, and TVLine can reveal which musically-inclined actors landed the plum parts.

A show insider confirms to TVLine exclusively that onetime Law & Order: Criminal Intent detective Jeff Goldblum and Broadway veteran Brian Stokes Mitchell have been tapped to play Hiram and LeRoy Berry, the adoptive parents of Lea Michele’s character.

First Look: Glee Pays Tribute to the King of Pop!

The duo will first appear in the show’s Valentine’s Day episode — which as luck would have it will actually air on Feb. 14, and is titled “Heart.” And yes, they will sing.

Although Goldblum is best known for his movie and TV work, he’s also an accomplished jazz pianist who made his Broadway debut back in 1971 in the Tony-winning musical Two Gentleman in Verona.

Glee Scoop: Will Finn Be Back Next Season?

Mitchell, meanwhile, is something of a Great White Way legend, having appeared in dozens of high-profile productions including Jelly’s Last Jam, Ragtime, Man of La Macha and Kiss Me Kate (for which he won a 2000 Tony Award for Best Actor.) His TV credits include playing Kelsey Grammer’s onscreen nemesis on Frasier and a love interest for Vanessa Williams’ Wilhelmina on Ugly Betty.

Thoughts?!

TAGS: , , , ,
GET MORE: Casting News, Exclusive, Glee, News, Scoop

1. bolly says:

I think people are bothered ryan chose a black man who is the same complexion as a white man. nothing wrong with super dark black skin!

2. RW says:

I think it’s hilarious how people are upset saying that one of Rachel’s dads is supposed to black, which Brian Stokes Mitchell most definitely is, and then turn around and say the producers further screwed up by not casting John Barrowman(who I love) as the other father. JB looks less like his counterpart in the picture than BSG. Also, people need to just get a grip. If you watch CSI:NY, they showed a picture of Mac’s dead wife in an earlier episode and then cast a different person to play her in flashbacks in the 9/11 episode this season. Guess what? It didn’t hurt the show at all. If you watch NCIS, when they were first introduced, Ducky was a total letch hitting on any young woman that was within a 10 mile radius instead of the smart, sweet, rambling ME we have now and Tony had never heard of the Maltese Falcon and knew nothing about movies which is opposite of the encyclopedia like knowledge of movies he has now which is so pivotal to his character. Guess what? The world didn’t come to an end, instead it made the show better. The actor who has played lab rat Henry for the last seven seasons on CSI played the bad guy in an episode during the SAME SEASON he was introduced as Henry. Heck, two different actors played Darrin Stephens on Bewitched 40 years ago. GET OVER IT!!!!!!!!!!

Rant over.

3. Rose says:

I wanted John Barrowman to be one. But these two are pretty awesome.

4. Anthony says:

It sounds like the issue isn’t that the man is light skinned (and he’s black regardless of what some want to say). Its he’s not the man everyone wanted and envisioned in their own little world. This is why I am finding TV audiences to be growing further and further dense in these comment sections.

5. barb davis says:

hey people chill out will ya! Its just a tv show! Not the end of the world if he isn’t as dark as you would like! I love watching Glee but really don’t care what skin color the actor has! If you are going back to season one and finding the exact time in the pilot that shows a pic of her dad(s) you have way too much time on your hands!

6. Maria says:

I Love Glee!!!’!!!!
    (;0)
    Lol

7. Sue says:

Yes, on the pilot she had a picture in her locker and one was black. The joke was they mixed their sperm together so she wouldn’t know which one was her biological dad !

8. Kiana says:

I thought one of her dad’s was black. Just saying.

9. dan b says:

at every moment of every scene of every epsiode you are asked to suspend disbelief whys this ant different

10. David Lassman says:

What took so long to present her parents and why were’nt they around when her mother showed up ( Being as over provtective as Rachael makes them out to be)!!

11. Terry Davis says:

What happened to Ernest Pierce, I remember seeing him in the pilot episode. He’s such a great up and coming actor..and HOT!

12. Guest says:

The picture just has Bad lighting it’s the same dad from jumping the broom. He looks darker in movies and shows

13. Gretchen says:

GUYS! you cant just ask people why they’re white!!

14. Nicole says:

I wanted him to be Jack McFarland!

15. Taco says:

Imagine that. An African American wearing blackface.

16. Cee says:

People have been continually talking about Rachel’s dads and I was excited to read the post, but slightly disappointed with the casting. I wish they cast Taye Diggs as one half of Rachel’s parental units!! How awesome would he have been?!

17. Hannah says:

“it don’t matter if you’re black or white.” Maybe They’ll say he has the same skin disorder as Michael Jackson (except Michael became very white). It doesn’t matter if it’s not consistent, what matters is that the actors have talent! They can sing and act and dance! It’s Glee!

18. Lisa says:

~ ok i’m sure we all understand that Goldblum and Stokes Mitchell are actors portraying “parts”. Surely ya’ll have watched shows (particularly “soaps”) that sometimes have a cast change…? One day your favorite actor is playing a certain part, the next day it’s another actor. We don’t always like it, but we have to deal with it… they’re just actors!! And we all have to deal with the casting choices… until they are recast or the show cancels… right !? ; )

19. Alex says:

Like who really gives a rats butt how not black that Guy is and how the picture he is dark skinned.
    Things change people! That’s like saying a white person with a tan is not white but brown. It sounds more racist than anything. I’m Puerto Rican, and I have white skin, but that doesn’t make me a white person, cause I have physical features that are not clearly White.
    He is a light skinned black man, and basing his skin off a picture from a pilot show, that was probably just some dudes, is just stupid.

20. keiran says:

She has 1 black dad!

21. delaney says:

Do you guys know where to watch season 3 free somwhere

22. Joli says:

Why are so many people worried about continuity when Glee already doesn’t base itself in reality? I enjoy watching the show, but the “big budget” high school production numbers? The fact that Sue gets away with the things she does without losing her job? The way the kids plan for their futures? And on, and on…. Who cares if the actor chosen to play Rachel’s Dad is dark or light skinned? Basing casting decisions on a photograph rather than on whom the producers feel is best for the part would be asinine. People should stop obsessing and worrying about a TV show, and simply enjoy it for what it is. Light entertainment with an occasional message about tolerance, respect, and hard work. Isn’t that enough? If you don’t like the casting,the story-line, or the color of the Cheerios’ uniforms, go produce your own TV show.

23. Haley says:

I have no idea if someone asked this, but does anyone know why they didn’t just use the guys from the picture in her locker? And like everyone else thinks it doesn’t matter how dark his skin is or if he’s African American, that’s who they chose, so deal with it. I’m just asking because I want to know why they couldn’t use the original guys.

24. jessica says:

Let’s not forget Mitchell in the Fresh Prince of Bel Air as Hilary’s love interest that died bungee jumping.

25. lgb says:

…But we already saw her parents. Yeah it was just a photo in the pilot but we have seen their faces… why not cast the two guys in the photo, or at least cast someone who looks remotely like them?

26. It's not that complicated... says:

Everyone’s making these comments about how somebody should classify themselves if they are mixed-race. IT DOESN’T MATTER.

The issue is that at the beginning of Glee, it shows that one of her dads has dark skin. One of these people may consider themselves of African-American heritage, but neither has dark skin. That is where the problem lies.

27. laylagalise says:

Wonderful casting, but I’m a little disappointed that they didn’t cast Phil and Lem from “Better Off Ted.”

28. anonymous says:

Oh my God! I think we’ve established that in the pilot their was a photo with a darker man in it… obviously they were just two random people and the writers meant it as a joke. So what if they didn’t cast a darker guy as one of her dads. You would think that Glee fans would be more tolerant, but I guess some people just can’t grow up.

29. Jeff Cross says:

FACT CHECK: Jeff’s character is Rachel’s biological father, for the pilot recycled the old joke of an interracial gay couple mixing their semen for the artificial insemination process on the grounds that they don’t want to know who’s the biological dad.

30. GLEE FAN says:

GET OVER IT HE’S BLACK !!!!!! AND MARRY TO A BLACK WOMEN IN REAL LIFE !!!!!!!

31. soph84 says:

They’re not both her adoptive parents! She says in the first ep that they both mixed their semen together before the surrogate was insemeniated, so she doesnt know which one is her real dad. Which is why it is funny that one is African-American. So I guess the one who is not her biological father adopted her to complete the family.

32. tamara says:

Well I think they should have picked a darker man since we saw a picture of one , in season one. And as for his race he is technically African American by law cause he has it in him. I learned that when I had my son whose father is white , because I’m blk he is blk instead of biracial which is stupid to me.

33. Keekers says:

I don’t understand why they didn’t just use the guys from the picture in Rachel’s locker in the first season? However, I do like this casting, it certainly does fit. I’m sure it will be fun to watch!

34. raelee says:

OMG! LMAO. I can’t believe this. Glee breaks the rules of continuity for their storylines and plots every freaking episode and people are screaming because of the pictures chosen to represent Rachel’s parents don’t mesh with the casting?

Brian Stokes Mitchell was fabulous on Fraiser, which is how I know him best. He is most definitely Black, and why people are arguing someones race is really well… wrong on so many levels. Mostly, he’s just human and a great actor. He and Goldblum, will be awesome as her parents, which pisses me off because now I have to watch this episode.

35. marti says:

You know what? Who cares. Both actors are amazing and talented. I can’t wait to see Jeff Goldblum again in a truly comic role! I’m hoping and looking forward to a confrontation between Finn and her dads, especially considering the cliff hanger last night, lol!

36. Tag says:

Hey.. anyone that’s commenting on the fact that Mitchell is lighter skinned than the ‘picture Rachel had in her locker’.. Ever heard of Makeup. That’s what Makeup Artists are for. They have all sorts of cool little brushes and pigments that they can change your eyeshadow to, or lip color, or even contacts for your eyes.. but NO WAY could they possibly ever alter a skin tone with makeup. That’s like unheard of /facepalm headdesk combo..

Seriously, it’s not that big of a deal. They could have cast a causasian man and tinted his skin to be dark. They could have gotten an asian man and tinted his skin dark. Look at the photo above. With an altered skin tone, he’d definitely pass for your defintion of what it means to be a ‘black man’.

Maybe they decided to cast based on talent and ability rather than, ‘Well he’s not a good actor, nor can he sing, but he looks the part so let’s choose him’. FFS people.

37. Gleek! says:

I think they should have casted someone darker… because they look nothing like the pics of her dads in S1 :(

38. Ynnis says:

I love the way so many people insist BSM is black, when he looks mixed race and is mixed race. Those insisting he is black are making just as much of a racial slur as those saying ‘Rachel’s Dad is meant to be black’. Move on America!

39. Paul says:

Who cares if BSM is of dark skin. What matters is that they have in this role a talented actor and I can’t wait for his premier.

40. C says:

The only reason it matters, to me at least, that one of her dad’s continues to be an African American is because in the Pilot Rachel stated that to this day she wasn’t sure which one of her dad’s was actually her biological dad, and she thought that was pretty cool. This was humorous because she would look a lot different if she was half African American, and thus, her biological dad must be the caucasian male.

41. Ben Cooper says:

Of all the great gay actors out there, why in the world would they pick two straight (?) actors? I think this is a totally bad choice!

42. Greg says:

OMG people….get a life! If all you have to worry about is how “black” Rachel’s father is, you’ve got a problem. It was in the pilot. And the one post that pointed out pilots often differ from the actual show is correct. Ever wonder what happened to the gay cook on “Golden Girls”? Yes, there was one in the PILOT….and when the show aired he was gone. Actors often change, plot lines change. Brian Stokes Mitchell is an excellent choice. He’s a fabulous actor with an incredible voice. GET OVER HIS SKIN COLOR!

43. nalak says:

I guess they’ve already forgotten that they kind of already “cast” her dads back in the first episode when they showed the pictures of Rachel with her dads inside her locker….

• Lucy says:

The photo in her locker of her dads are from two production guys that they took picture because they needed a photo of her dads. Since it was a pilot episode they were going change the actors later that is why no photos have been show since.

• Haley says:

OMG!!! thank you lucy! that makes so much sense. I had the same question and i was just curious and now i know! thanks…confusion cleared. :)

44. RevaM says:

It feels like they just picked someone to make to get rid of the joke they made about knowing which of her dads was her biological father. Me, I’m mixed as well. So I get the whole, what does it matter or he can decide argument. I don’t just get it, I’ve LIVED it. But…let’s not confuse the issues here. This isn’t an issue about what is acceptable in society. This isn’t an issue about Race, as a social construct. This is a simple matter of pigmentation. Rachel’s dad was clearly depicted as being very dark skinned. If they picked a different actor, they should’ve picked someone who at least resembled that somewhat.

If you really want to bring racism into it though, the choice could be argued another way. They are trying to say we all look alike and ANY black man can play another black man. Or it could be considered a case of “let’s get a black actor, but not too black.” Don’t think thats a real thing? Google search tv tropes “But not too black.” It may not be a political correct look at it, but it does give numerous examples.

45. RevaM says:

I actually don’t think Glee is guilty of this btw. They’ve made numerous casting errors, and I’m sure they just went by who can sing and totally forgot the joke. I’m just showing how trying to call racism in this case, instead of just looking at it purely from a casting perspective is a slippery slope and pointing fingers at someone who doesn’t like the casting decision is wrong.

46. RevaM says:

I think he would have been a fantastic choice. He can sing, would be a suitable replacement for the depicted actor, and is so ridiculously good looking that I don’t care what he’s doing. Plus, I think he’s married to Idina Menzel anyway, so they would have had chemistry if they became friends for Rachel’s sake. Wouldn’t have had to fake chemistry. Even though it may have been hard for him to fake being in love with some guy when his gorgeous wife is standing two feet away from him. Plus it would have given an additional joke, wink wink nudge nudge kinda 4th wall humor about Rachel being Idina’s child.

47. Britney says:

Even tho Briand Mitchell may be Mixed and Black is the race he chooses to identify himself as…is besides the point. Glee just isn’t very good at being conststent lol. I love the show, but do they think we just forget the storylines? Or maybe they just think no one will remember the little details…I for one would have liked to have seen, her Dad’s look more like the guys in the pic, from season 1. I mean her black Dad was darker, and the other was geeky. And just becuz Jeff wears glasses doesn’t make him geeky! lol…. *I do like the actors!* I just wish Glee would follow up on their storylines better.

48. lilli pad says:

I have multi racial ancestors in the last 3 generations of my family but am by the definition society has places on me either 1 drop rule to justify the subjegation of a race of people or the lingering preJUDICES of a split society in 2012 I am going to try and put a fine point on this dumb discussion Brian Stokes Mitchell is a black man simply because in a room full of Caucasians he looks different from you and if asked what you Caucasians “thought” this man was racially not a one of you would say oh mixed race blah blah blah he would be a black man simply if you CANT hide in a crowd of Caucasians then be what what you may as far as racial mix you’re black, but you all keep debating.

49. Lisa says:

FYI black people come in different shades
    from cream to coffee brown, mixed or not.

50. Lisa says:

Brian Stokes Mitchell was amazing in “Man of LaMancha” on broadway. I am stoked (pun intended) to see him getting more air time where more people can hear his incredible voice.