Exclusive

Glee Exclusive: Rachel's Gay Dads Revealed!

As far as parental cliffhangers go, it’s second only to the identity of the Mother on a certain CBS sitcom: Glee has finally cast Rachel’s gay dads, and TVLine can reveal which musically-inclined actors landed the plum parts.

A show insider confirms to TVLine exclusively that onetime Law & Order: Criminal Intent detective Jeff Goldblum and Broadway veteran Brian Stokes Mitchell have been tapped to play Hiram and LeRoy Berry, the adoptive parents of Lea Michele’s character.

First Look: Glee Pays Tribute to the King of Pop!

The duo will first appear in the show’s Valentine’s Day episode — which as luck would have it will actually air on Feb. 14, and is titled “Heart.” And yes, they will sing.

Although Goldblum is best known for his movie and TV work, he’s also an accomplished jazz pianist who made his Broadway debut back in 1971 in the Tony-winning musical Two Gentleman in Verona.

Glee Scoop: Will Finn Be Back Next Season?

Mitchell, meanwhile, is something of a Great White Way legend, having appeared in dozens of high-profile productions including Jelly’s Last Jam, Ragtime, Man of La Macha and Kiss Me Kate (for which he won a 2000 Tony Award for Best Actor.) His TV credits include playing Kelsey Grammer’s onscreen nemesis on Frasier and a love interest for Vanessa Williams’ Wilhelmina on Ugly Betty.

Thoughts?!

TAGS: , , , ,
GET MORE: Casting News, Exclusive, Glee, News, Scoop

1. nobody says:

i love how everyone refers to them as ‘gay dads’ cause if a kid has two dads we’re not gonna assume their gay

2. Riley says:

Wow. So much tension in some of these comments… K, just an outsider’s view on a couple of things. I don’t know these actor’s, but I’m sure their very takented. While many of you are correct in Glee’s lack of continuity, they are pretty good at recognizing talent (at least in my opinion). Secondly, why are these little details bothering all of you so much? It’s a fictional show. It’s not like they’re reenacting real life events. I love the show for the music, and it gives me time to take my mind off work and stress. So I’m not gonna let it bother me. Also, in regards to the skin tone, maybe it does take away from the joke in the first episode that everyone seems so hung up on. And for those of you whho say Rachel’s mom was a surrogate mother, that was what her dads told her. They also told her they used a TURKEY BASTER to do it. I can tell you that’s not how it works. And when her mom did show up, it was more implied that she gave up Rachel to the gay couple because she wasn’t ready for kids and needed the money. I dunno. Maybe I’m wrong. But it just seems more likely to me based on the time line that she was, infact, adopted and her dads told her that story to make her feel better… But again, I don’t really care much. I like the show. Plot holes or not, I like it. So…. yeah…

• MommaH says:

THANK YOU! A voice of reason! Seriously kids, if a little plot hole (especially from the pilot episode) is going to ruin your life… you probably don’t HAVE a life. Seek help. :P

3. Asia says:

I’m very sad that John Barrowman isn’t one of her dads. He is insanely attractive, and insanely talented, and already a stellar singer.

4. Kaila says:

Aren’t they supposed to be the guys in the season 1 photos ??

5. MommaH says:

Shows always differ from their pilot episode. It’s not a big deal. Get over it. Excellent casting. Can’t wait to see and HEAR it!!

6. st4cey says:

As far as I remember, yes. If u re watch season one ep one where they talk about rachels childhook ther Is a pic of a black guy as her dad

7. mike says:

but where is john barrowman!!!!!!

8. Mikel says:

But how apropos of Rachel to have “cast” the roles of her two dads for those pics? Perhaps they were out of town, or too busy, or uninterested in taking the pics, so Rachel hired two random men to “play” her dads.

9. Kaila says:

That’s what I thought I mean why didn’t they already cast them fOr the future

10. Mee says:

So one of Racheal’s dads is supposed to be black. And yeah that guy is black, but they showed a picture of them once and he was pretty dark… Oh well… At least we get to see them. Kinda sucks when they forget stuff like that.

11. Janna says:

Who cares that BSM isn’t dark… He is an amazing Broadway singer, which is what fans of Glee should care most about.

12. Meme Wilson says:

I was hoping it would be John Barrowman and Taye Diggs.

13. Christine says:

I love Glee and and love who they cast. I think that most of the comments are a hoot!

14. Sandra says:

I would’ve prefereed John Barrowman :(

15. Jamie. says:

This show is funny because of the inconsistency. Why is the piano/band always at the ready. Also sometimes the songs cut from reality to fantasy. Hello it’s why the show is so great. Ha!

16. joe says:

i agree with adrian i think that glee is doing is showing all aspects pf real life people. From straight to gay to dysfunctional to the disable, it shows that everyone has a handicap.

17. Kasey says:

It kinda bums me out that these two were cast cause if you remember in the first season they showed a picture of her 2 dads that was hanging in her locker and clearly theses are not the same people. Oh well, I will still watch as I am a die hard gleek and I am sure I will love it as Ryan Murphy is a genius and nows what he is doing

18. Susan says:

Who cares if Brian is light skinned or not. He is STILL black, OMG. LOL.

19. amanda says:

i really wanted john barrowman to be one of her dads but goldblum is a great choice

20. Shane gleek says:

Yes he’s not as dark skinned as the picture in the pilot.. But y’all gotta remember, it is a pilot, most tv shows veer off course to the pilot, hell alot of shows seem to go in a totally different direction in the episode straight after the pilot, or have you whingers not seen many tv shows slash pilot episodes? hence why they are called pilot….
    Personally I wanted john barrowman and taye diggs but hey, we all want different things, just sit back and enjoy the brilliance that is Glee. <3 Like every other casting direction these 2 guys will be brilliant, though judging on Rachels personality and the way shes talked about her dads, those writers better make these 2 some freakin HIGH maintenance queens. lol

• christina morejon says:

JOHN BARROWMAN woulda been the PERFECT dad for rachel. They are SO much alike it hurts. Bad move on the creators part. =(

21. Katy says:

NOOOO!!! what happened to WAYNE BRADY!!?! he would have been the BESTTT!

22. julie says:

Yes in the first season she had a pic of her dads in her locker & one man was black. I guess the shows creator must have forgot lol. Or just didn’t care.

23. Meg says:

people are right that they screwed up the continuity, but it’s not just because when they shot the Pilot they didn’t think the show would really get picked up. it’s also because Ryan Murphy was slightly OPPOSED to the idea of giving Rachel’s father’s faces. he had never planned on featuring them as fleshed out characters on the show. but now that he hasn’t would you all prefer great actors and performances as opposed to someone chosen solely to keep up with continuity? I think they are great choices and I’m even more excited now to meet Rachel’s father’s.

24. melissa harber says:

He also played Jackpot on Trapper John MD.

25. jb says:

That’s what I was thinking bc there were pic of them in her locker the first episode snd one was really black and the other like Jew nose and glasses haha

26. AnnieM says:

I remember BSM from Trapper John M.D. as “Jackpot”. Loved him in that and knew he was definitely black. Some black people seem to get lighter with age (Bill Cosby). White people do too, funny how that happens.

27. gillian says:

Hello – GAY OD. I have nothing against gays but the gay storyline is getting so old it’s pathological. Gay Kurt, Kurt’s Gay boyfriend, the gay football player, Brittany the dumb blonde is really gay (or maybe bi), as is her street tough “girlfriend” Santana, Sue Sylvester is suspected as gay, as is the she-man football coach. REALLY??? Come on. Truly, I have nothing against gays but this show might change all that just like I would be sick of any other overdose of what seems to be some kind of pious lesson in political correctness shoved down our throats. Glee- you’re trying too hard. Get over it.

• ann says:

your sooo right . they keep revolving around the same gay thing…its getting monotonous

• Kevin says:

Don’t forget, now two gay dads. Is everyone on the show going to wind up being gay? PLeeeaase. Your right gillian- they’re trying too hard. It’s offensive and an insult to real gays. They are so over the top it’s like the show is mocking them.

28. John says:

OK so he’s not as dark as the dad in the pilot.. It’s just a TV show meant for your entertainment… RELAX already… NOT THE END OF THE WORLD!

29. Sabrina Crystal says:

uhmmmmm… in season 1 a picture of Rachel’s gay dads was seen inside Rachel’s locker.. and one of them was black. And now there both gonna be casted as white?? That makes me sence.

30. Lisa says:

Who cares if one of her Dad’s is black or not? TV shows are supposed to be about entertaining us noit endorsing political correctness or agenda’s.

I don’t love this casting! They should have gone with Adam Pascal!!!

• christina morejon says:

its NOT about political correctness! Its about continuity..DUHHHHH!

and the white one shoulda been JOHN BARROWMAN!!!!

31. Stacy says:

trust glee to pull a dumb move like forgetting in season 1 as mentioned , that one of the dads was meant to be black

32. michael ford-bowman says:

omg!!!!! i cant beleve her dad is gay how did she get conseded if he is gay?

33. monica says:

Taye Diggs is too young ppl… Thts the reason Rachel was given up aside from her mom wanting a career..

34. jules says:

Yes, he is light-skinned for a black man…but if they want to make him “match” the photo in the locker more, they could always use makeup…

35. Didi Mazzone says:

BRILLIANT CASTING…I can see this scenario being absolutly amazing

36. Tracey Lane says:

I absolutely love Jeff Goldblum.And if I’m correct Brian Stokes Mitchell is gay.So that should satisfy everybody.

37. amokura says:

haha ^

38. christina morejon says:

They showed their pics in season 1 and one was BLACK!

The white one shoulda been JOHN BARROWMAN! he can sing, dance and is a totally over the top ham. AKA–the male Rachel Berry.

stupid move producers! =( =(

39. jamian jones says:

so he finally askes her to marry him….i wander what she is gonna say…:)

40. Dan says:

Rachel is very tan, so Brian`s character could might as well be the father.

41. Kizzie says:

Originally, in one of the early episodes of season 01, Rachel had a picture of her fathers, and one was clearly darker in skin tone, adding to the joke of her not knowing which was her biological father. Granted, I think this casting looks better, but they really shouldn’t have jumped the gun in showing us what her fathers looked like early on if they plotted on actually casting them for more than just a photo op.

42. mike gerard says:

wow… some of you folks need a life… black, white green or purple, their both great actors and muscial stars. and btw, Mr. mitchell does regard himself as black. also, glee is a tv show, not real life and continuity will always be off a little. just sit back and enjoy and stop disecting everything.

43. Justin Tomlinson says:

OMG this is hilarious. Let me put it simply:

They could’nt/wouldn’t/didn’t want to use the men in the picture from the pilot episode. The pilot was filmed before they thought the show would be picked up. They’re writing in Rachel’s dads so now the joke is retconned. The picture didn’t happen. TV shows retcon all the time, especially Glee. Watch the show and enjoy it.

44. rachel says:

Why are they recasting Rachel’s dads? They already showed us a picture of them in the first episode. Now we are just supposed to forget that? And her dads aren’t adoptive parents. One of them is the biological father we just aren’t supposed to know who.

45. Ashley says:

That is so awesome that the guy from jurassic park will be playing one of rachel berry’s dads and the funny thing was i was just telling my friend after wathing jurassic park that i could see him as rachel’s parent i love this so excited for this episode now :)

46. Shelena says:

Wow, y’all really must be obsessed , I think this going to be a great show , hey wasn’t he on jumping the broom

47. pat says:

I am sad – love BOTH these guys, but the two men identified in the photo first season are both terrific actors who deserve a break – and both are musically inclined. AND one of them has worked for Ryan Murphy so there is no question he knew who that person is – Rob Steiner is the perfect dad for Lea Michele, and I am deeply saddened that, in giving so many young people a chance, and Dot-Marie as well, Ryan Murphy has not offered that same opportunity to these two delightful adult men.

48. Natosha says:

Yes please tell them again it doesnt matter if he’s black so what go back to learning about genetics. Your right kitty

49. bolly says:

he isn’t black enough and her dad was a little jewish gay twerpy woody allen looking guy if I’m not mistaken