Exclusive

Glee Exclusive: Rachel's Gay Dads Revealed!

As far as parental cliffhangers go, it’s second only to the identity of the Mother on a certain CBS sitcom: Glee has finally cast Rachel’s gay dads, and TVLine can reveal which musically-inclined actors landed the plum parts.

A show insider confirms to TVLine exclusively that onetime Law & Order: Criminal Intent detective Jeff Goldblum and Broadway veteran Brian Stokes Mitchell have been tapped to play Hiram and LeRoy Berry, the adoptive parents of Lea Michele’s character.

First Look: Glee Pays Tribute to the King of Pop!

The duo will first appear in the show’s Valentine’s Day episode — which as luck would have it will actually air on Feb. 14, and is titled “Heart.” And yes, they will sing.

Although Goldblum is best known for his movie and TV work, he’s also an accomplished jazz pianist who made his Broadway debut back in 1971 in the Tony-winning musical Two Gentleman in Verona.

Glee Scoop: Will Finn Be Back Next Season?

Mitchell, meanwhile, is something of a Great White Way legend, having appeared in dozens of high-profile productions including Jelly’s Last Jam, Ragtime, Man of La Macha and Kiss Me Kate (for which he won a 2000 Tony Award for Best Actor.) His TV credits include playing Kelsey Grammer’s onscreen nemesis on Frasier and a love interest for Vanessa Williams’ Wilhelmina on Ugly Betty.

Thoughts?!

TAGS: , , , ,
GET MORE: Casting News, Exclusive, Glee, News, Scoop

1. gleefan says:

Maybe they’ll do a Speilburg update of the season 1 dvd’s and replace the picture of the black and white dads on her dresser with these guys!

2. Rowan says:

In the Pilot episode we see a picture of her “Dads”, one of them is white and geeky-looking, nerdy-like. The other is bald and black.

This is just an excuse to cast two famous actors instead of follow continutiy

3. Judy says:

All I can say is I’m soooooooo disappointed.

4. Joyce says:

I LOVE< LOVE< LOVE Brian Stokes Mitchell! I am so excited to see him perform on Glee. YAY.

5. I think they should have had Rupaul would have really giving the show some flavor… Dad by day & DRAG-DIVA by night. I ♥ it!!! but I like Jeff and Brain is alright. Two you wouldn’t expect to be on Glee.

6. Skib says:

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD! The article needs to mention that Brian S. Mitchell is black. (not that anyone will READ but still) Can we get an editor on this, please?!

7. Aubry (@AubryR5GLEEK_1D) says:

she did have a picture of her dads in her locker in the first episode…. i think im gonna go make sure

8. Lacey says:

Why are people so ignorant? Brian Stokes IS black, and Jeff Goldblum IS Jewish.
    And who cares if they “messed up” in the pilot, if you have a problem with it don’t watch.
    The show is awesome, the choices were great, and it’s going to be amazing.

9. Jake Hopkins says:

In one of the episodes she opens up her locker and there is where you see a picture of her two dads! Casting contrary to that picture would only be telling a lie at some point throughout the show!

10. Laural says:

That’s exactly what I thought!

11. Rachel says:

They should have gotten the guy from Rent and law in order or Taye Diggs

12. Michael says:

Love Brian Stokes Mitchell. Perfect. Also love Goldblum, but don’t know his musical-comedy chops. Could be fun.

13. merp says:

Wel played

14. Sherry says:

Brian Stokes Mitchell is Black and BEAUTIFUL with an AMAZING voice!

15. Brittany says:

Her fathers were pictured on the first episode. One was a darker skinned black guy and the other was a jewish white guy. The joke was that she didn’t know which was her biological father. They should have casted someone who at least could pass for the first guy.

16. Bailey says:

well…. i think this casting is only alright. come on, we’ve seen the photo of her “two gay dads” a few times. and yes, brian may be black, but i think everyone has pictured a very dark skinned black man playing one of her fathers. and brian, when you google him and see pictures of him with other black skinned people, even ones that are light skinned, he looks white. so casting him does not impress me.

but jeff goldblum is amazing and i love the casting of him! :)

17. Vagina says:

I bet you dont even have a vagina and if you did I would f*ck it so you would get knocked up and then I will rape the baby and slice off its own head

He he he JK y’all I am a comedian

18. brittany says:

they showed pictures of the dads in the first season didn’t really think that one out now did they.

19. Mrs. B says:

Does it matter if he is light or dark skinned? It is obvious that he is black and it is equally obvious that he is not her biological father. Joke understood. The only person that doesn’t get it is you.

• Think before you post says:

no, actually, it is not obvious that he is black. he is the whitest looking black man i have ever seen. in some pictures, jeff looks darker skinned than brian. therefore, it is not obvious that he isn’t her father, since lea has tanned skin, which sometimes looks quite dark, and brian only looks like he has tanned skin too.

20. Lisette says:

I sort of wish that they remained anonymous…I think it takes a little away from Rachel’s mystique.

21. Sara says:

CAM WINSTON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

22. Leanne Abbott says:

Annoyed… Didnt the writers reveal in season 1 that one of her dad’s was supost to be black???? It annoys me when writers change things like this, and think the fans won’t remember.

23. Eve says:

Does it matter if he is black? adoptive parents, therefore, race is not an issue?

24. Melissa says:

I guess you guys will just have to use your imagination. Maybe her black dad is like Michael Jackson, born black and ended up white lol :)

25. Jules says:

Well the only time we’ve seen Rachel’s fathers, one was clearly African-American. Brian Stokes Mitchell just looks really ran sometimes. Haha I wish I would get to see more before I leave for basic training. Last nights episode just left me hanging :( && on top of that! The MJ episode airs 2 days after I arrive at basic military training. Totally sad.

26. mindy says:

Guys, Brian Stokes Mitchell is African-American. It doesn’t matter the skin tone. Genetics works in odd ways. Her mother on the show has a dark tone to her, so it may not be the black guy that’s her father. I’m sure we’ll find out. But does it really matter? It IS television, and we’ve all seen what the people behind Glee can switch up. They don’t stick with the plot of anything. But it’s enjoyable to most, nonetheless. Other shows do this, too. If you follow a crime show, soap opera, whatever, they’ll sometimes switch characters or bring in someone that has no relation to the original plot. Just like the US version of Skins. It was supposed to be a remake of the UK version, but instead they changed Maxxie’s character, a gay male, into a lesbian. Stuff like that. It’s the media. They can do what they want. Plus, unless they pull some sort of Degrassi scene and follow everyone to college (and they all miraculously go to the same college), they aren’t going to be on there much longer anyway. They’re going to be graduating and such soon. So really, Rachel’s father’s skin tone is the LAST thing you people need to worry about. Let them do their thing, and if you’re not satisfied with the show, don’t watch it anymore.

27. Sara says:

They look cute together. ^.^

28. Jeana says:

BRILLIANT!

Just Brilliant!!!

29. mario says:

everybody says wait he should be black ok he is black but we have seen her white father befor in a video she made with puck, jessy and finn so calm … everything changed

30. MICHAEL says:

WTF?
    in the pilot, one of them was black.

31. Kro says:

What happened to Rachel’s dads being interracial?

32. Stacey says:

I have no idea who either of them are but I look forward to seeing them in the show! I know I love Glee and everything but a few continuity errors aren’t exactly a dealbreaker, so those commenting about one of her dad’s being black… chill out, it’s just a TV show! You never know, they can do wonders with make-up these days so maybe they will keep that joke going, though I’m not too fussed really, and I doubt they would! By sounds of the comments these two will be great in the show so really – what’s a couple of continuity issues!

33. John Guare says:

Isn’t it Two Gentlemen OF Verona?

34. Lina brooks says:

Brian Stokes is black!

35. Carla says:

They are not adoptive parents. They used a surrogate.

36. veesmom says:

I think that “Jack” from Will and Grace would’ve been a good gay dad. Just my opinion. Jeff Goldblum is way older than the lady that is Rachel’s mom.

37. Francesca says:

Who?

38. Brittany says:

Wait fins questioning coming back next season? Doesn’t he have to ? He kinda proposed to rachel.

39. Hapster says:

I was secretly hoping for Sam Harris from Grease.

40. S says:

Just because someone isn’t dark-skinned doesn’t mean they’re not Black. Just like not all Latinos have “tan”/”olive” skin and dark hair. White people don’t look all the same either. It’s extremely ignorant to think that a person can’t possibly be a race because they may not look the way you’ve stereotypically classified the race in your mind.

41. I Love Agron says:

*facepalm*
    Are we really arguing about a one-liner they made in 2009? GET OVER IT. Both as an African American female and a Gleek, I can tell you that the fact that Brian Stokes is not the perfect “shade of brown” is irrelevant. He’s a very talented actor, and so is Jeff Goldblum. Ryan Murphy wrote the character as a black man. He didn’t specify the shade. Let the picture go.

42. KD says:

if i remember correctly her black dad was a darker complexion. but anyways, I’m guessing the 1/8 rule applies here as far as mr. mitchell is concerned.

43. carl says:

The first thing I can remember Brian in was the old Trapper John, M.D. series with Parnell Roberts!

44. angelica says:

i rlly want to find out more cuz i love the glee show thankz to my own sister…

45. Cristina Mayhern says:

I was pulling for Nathan Lane and Taye Diggs, but I’m sure these guys will be great. Jeff Goldbloom is hilarious.

46. Lisa says:

This is a show my young teenaged daughter watches–I could really tune in for the great casting of JG and Mitchell! BSM is Black and he just played Paula Patton’s Dad and Angela Basset’s husband in the movie “Jumping the Broom”–and who doesn’t love everything about JG!!! They are both great.

47. Beverly says:

This is wonderful! Although the joke from Season One hinged on Rachel’s father being a dark-skinned African-American, she actually COULD be the child of either of these two men. I’m not familiar with Mr Mitchell’s work, but what could be better than Jeff Goldblum?

48. jay says:

Ok seriously before posting…please read comments 80% of these comments repeat themselves. First off…Brian is black,regardless of color tone and it’s TV. Secondly if you don’t watch the show,why complain? Let’s remember the pilot was a while back and when it was filmed no one figured eveyone would think of the photo in her locker. Sometimes as fans we become a little to crazed with detail. -_- LOL

49. desiree says:

They showed her dads already didnt they? In the lady gaga show…when they made her dress out of beanie babies?

50. Heather Pollock says:

Idina Menzel, They met when they did Rent :)