Glee Exclusive: Rachel's Gay Dads Revealed!

As far as parental cliffhangers go, it’s second only to the identity of the Mother on a certain CBS sitcom: Glee has finally cast Rachel’s gay dads, and TVLine can reveal which musically-inclined actors landed the plum parts.

A show insider confirms to TVLine exclusively that onetime Law & Order: Criminal Intent detective Jeff Goldblum and Broadway veteran Brian Stokes Mitchell have been tapped to play Hiram and LeRoy Berry, the adoptive parents of Lea Michele’s character.

First Look: Glee Pays Tribute to the King of Pop!

The duo will first appear in the show’s Valentine’s Day episode — which as luck would have it will actually air on Feb. 14, and is titled “Heart.” And yes, they will sing.

Although Goldblum is best known for his movie and TV work, he’s also an accomplished jazz pianist who made his Broadway debut back in 1971 in the Tony-winning musical Two Gentleman in Verona.

Glee Scoop: Will Finn Be Back Next Season?

Mitchell, meanwhile, is something of a Great White Way legend, having appeared in dozens of high-profile productions including Jelly’s Last Jam, Ragtime, Man of La Macha and Kiss Me Kate (for which he won a 2000 Tony Award for Best Actor.) His TV credits include playing Kelsey Grammer’s onscreen nemesis on Frasier and a love interest for Vanessa Williams’ Wilhelmina on Ugly Betty.

Thoughts?!

Comments (463)

• umm weren’t one of her dads suppose to be black?

Comment by nicole – January 17, 2012 07:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Brian Stokes Mitchell is African- American.

Comment by Guest. – January 17, 2012 07:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • and don’t forget, he is CAAAM WINSTON!!!!

Comment by squeegy – January 18, 2012 02:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I totally forgot he was Cam Winston on “Frasier”! lol

He was also awesome as Trevor on “Fresh Prince of Bel-Air”! Thanks for the refresher ’cause I totally didn’t recognize him at first!

Comment by Sean Johnson – January 18, 2012 10:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • I almost forgot about trevor i was racking my brain trying to think of where i know him from thanks!

Comment by vette – January 18, 2012 11:36 AM PDT
          • and he was the bride’s dad in “Jumping the Broom”, loved that movie!!

Comment by Terry K – January 19, 2012 03:01 PM PDT
      • …and, as I was reminded at another website, Lea Michelle’s first Broadway role was as one of the children in Ragtime, which starred Brian Stokes Mitchell. Biran & Lea known each other since she was 5.

Comment by Rock Golf – January 18, 2012 07:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Actually, Lea Michele’s first Broadway role was in Les Miserables when she was 8. Ragtime was her second Broadway role (and she began the production when it was in Toronto still) when she was 11. Still awesome that they are reuniting though!

Comment by Nikki – January 18, 2012 07:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • I stand corrected. Thanks. I saw it in Toronto and could have sworn it was 20 years ago.

Comment by Rock Golf – January 18, 2012 09:15 AM PDT
          • Which was Lea Michele caracter in Les miserables?..Coset?

Comment by Lucy – January 18, 2012 06:04 PM PDT
      • Right, very black. And i’m asian.

Comment by ruben – January 18, 2012 10:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • People need to realize that information used in a pilot is NOT part of continuity. Changed characterizations, backstories and plots may or may not be changed later on.

A pilot is a test run, to gauge an Audience’s reaction. So what if he dad in the PILOT episode was darker- a pilot episode is aired before a show gets the final greenlight. As far as they were aware back then, they may not have had a show at all.

And guys, racism much?

“HE’S NOT AFRICAN-AMERICAN UNLESS HE’S GOT DARK SKIN!”

No. He’s African-American if he has African-American heritage. So what if he’s mixed race? Big deal! Grow up and get over it- it’s GLEE for crying out loud.

Comment by Ashlee – January 18, 2012 12:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • No. The point of a pilot episode is to show the network, and hopefully the audience, who the characters are and what the show is about. Yes, recasting after the pilot can occur (i.e. John Corbett as Amber and Drew’s father in Parenthood) and the story or comedy can evolve throughout the season/series (i.e. Cougar Town) but the background of the characters and the already established stories stay the same. A pilot isn’t a “test run” that writers can pick apart and choose what is a part of the show’s reality and what isn’t based on America’s reaction. (And yes, I see the irony in making this continuity argument for Glee.) If a pilot airs, the show got the greenlight and episodes were ordered.

Comment by Cory – January 18, 2012 01:07 PM PDT
          • Couldn’t have said it better!

Comment by Darlene – January 18, 2012 01:33 PM PDT
          • I do not think about African American. I am not called German American .My grand Babes are mixed but very dark but they are not called African American .their mommy is white and Daddy is Black and they think of themselves as kids. so what part do you want to forget?Mommy or Daddy? I Think neither.who cares what the Pilot had in it.

Comment by M. Hallstrom – January 18, 2012 02:19 PM PDT
          • Actually, regardless of the color of his skin, he’s not African-American unless he has dual citizenship.

Comment by Shane – January 18, 2012 07:11 PM PDT
          • Ashlee your absolutely right. yes in the first episode there is a picture of Rachel’s dads and one was black but I can see some color in Brian Stokes Mitchell. people are overreacting to nothing lets calm down and remember this is just a TV show.

Comment by Bridgett Oero – January 19, 2012 05:18 AM PDT
          • Sorry to tell you Cory but pilots get changed and “re-tooled” all the time.

Comment by Dav – January 19, 2012 05:22 AM PDT
      • According to imdb.com, he is “German, Scottish, African, and Native American”. How does that make him African-American when he is clearly mixed?

Comment by Ken – January 18, 2012 12:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Because sometimes mixed folks like to simplify things ;) – ask me how I know.

Comment by Darlene – January 18, 2012 01:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • I don’t think it’s just about simplification. Many older americans of mixed race grew up in a time when there was no “mixed” category – they either were white (as in, light enough to pass) or Black (as in, not light enough to pass). So they chose Black for a myriad of reasons, or they were forced to choose Black because of the one-drop rule. There are still a lot of younger americans who consider themselves Black even if they are “mixed” because of tradition, because of affiliation with the Black community, because they were raised by the Black parent, because they feel a stronger connection to their Black roots, etc.
            I am really annoyed by all of these comments on here that are pretending not to know the history of our country and sounding appalled at how a man of mixed heritage could choose to consider himself Black. That he has the choice to identify himself with his european ancestry is a new phenomena.

Comment by the girl – January 18, 2012 02:32 PM PDT
        • well said!!!

Comment by M. Hallstrom – January 18, 2012 02:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Nuts are mixed; people are multi-racial, bi-racial, multi-cultural. As for how his cultural background makes him African American, Google “one drop rule” for your answer.

Comment by RachelDachel – January 18, 2012 02:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • When will you accept that YOU ARE ALL AMERICAN! Be proud. In France we have the concept of French First. This means before I am black, before I am white, before I am muslim, christian or before I am someone have no belief in God, I am French. This binds us together. Two generations ago I was Welsh, Nigerian and Australian. Five generations ago I don’t know. One hundred generations ago, and who am I? To quote Skakespeare; ‘If you prick us, do we not bleed? if you tickle us, do we not laugh? if you poison us, do we not die?’. Get a grip we’re all in this together we should just get on with it. And listening to glee fans fight about this is a HUGE irony.

Comment by Dan – April 22, 2012 08:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Brian Stokes Mitchell is Black.

Comment by anon – January 17, 2012 08:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • That is true, however they should have cast a darker skinned man to keep in line with the joke that they didn’t know who her biological father was, because it was supposed to be super obvious that the black man was not.

Stokes may be great, but the casting directors screwed up the continuity and the joke from the pilot.

Comment by Amanda – January 17, 2012 08:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Didn’t Brian Stokes Mitchell play Trevor, Hilary’s news caster boyfriend who died (bungee jumping I think?) on The Fresh Prince of Bel Air?

Comment by Kate – January 17, 2012 08:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Good eye – as per imdb.com, yes, he was Trevor.

Comment by Tara – January 17, 2012 08:58 PM PDT
          • No one ever mentions that Brian Mitchell was a regular on Trapper John MD, either.

Comment by CJ – January 17, 2012 11:47 PM PDT
          • Is that where I saw him? He looks very familiar to me. But I think Jeff Goldblum is a great choice.

Comment by carolyn – January 18, 2012 10:50 AM PDT
        • They’ve screwed a lot of things up since the pilot. Stokes and Goldblum are golden.

Comment by Tucker – January 17, 2012 09:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Excellent casting

Comment by yep – January 17, 2012 10:17 PM PDT
          • They are, aren’t they? This should be awesome.

Comment by Darlene – January 18, 2012 01:38 PM PDT
        • I wonder how many MORE people are going to post “but I thought one of them was black!!!!” only to be answered “brian mitchell IS black”.

Comment by Angie – January 18, 2012 12:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • He’s not black

Comment by Ben Kabak – January 18, 2012 11:55 AM PDT
          • He is too! Look it up he is Black! He may not be as dark skinned as Taye Diggs, but he is black none the less.

Comment by crystal sanders – January 18, 2012 12:36 PM PDT
          • Yeah really, actually I think he’s more brown than black, like most people.
            In addition…people people people, this is musical theater. People break in to song in the classroom and suddenly they are on stage or in a wind tunnel imagining having s.e.x. with a teacher. Kids break in to song in the rehearsal room and voila` a small orchestra appears.
            Did any of you who are all excited about the lighter black guy replacing the darker black guy in the picture ever go see “Cats” on Braodway? Did you get up and walk out when you discovered it was people in cat make up and not actual felines dancing and singing on stage?

Comment by TeresaInthewings – January 19, 2012 07:21 AM PDT
        • Doesn’t she have a picture of her dads in her locker? I’m almost certain that she does and the black man is much darker skinned. I’m not familiar with Brian Stokes Mitchell but I’m sure he’ll do a fine job, but Glee has a real problem with continuity.

Comment by Brad – January 18, 2012 10:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Yes, she did. I JUST watched the pilot less than 20 mins ago. They show her fathers with pictures from a photobooth WITH Rachel taped to her locker. I’m starting to think that the producers of Glee don’t think their fans keep up and pay attention.

Comment by Lauren – January 18, 2012 10:45 AM PDT
          • Yup, Brad is right, they showed photobooth photos that were in Rachels locker of her 2 gay dads, one of them was an extremely black African American, not simply a person of African American descent. He was chocolate for crying out loud. And the other guy was some insanely looking dorky guy.
            The whole pun being that both fathers sperm was mixed together before being inserted into the mother with a turkey baster and to this day, they don’t know which one her real dad is…

When its obvious, because one of them is an extremely black man, and the other is a white geek boy.

Comment by Natalie – January 19, 2012 03:09 AM PDT
          • I think you don’t understand musical theater. Does it bother you that there are 20 professional dancers who show up to dance on the steps whenever there is a big song/dance number at lunch time? Where did those kids come from and when did the rehearse with the Glee club?

Comment by TeresaInthewings – January 19, 2012 07:29 AM PDT
          • So what about continuity? People don’t really notice until after the episodes are over anyway. Honestly, look at films. There are continuity errors in almost every movie…does this mean people stop watching them? NO! Same with TV shows. Who really cares? It’s an acting/singling show. Get over it already!

Comment by Dejo – January 20, 2012 05:29 AM PDT
        • Since when has continuity meant anything to the producers of Glee? I can’t wait to see this!

Comment by Kari – January 18, 2012 10:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • I think part of the issue is when they did the pilot none of them really truely thought anything was going to come of the show, who knows who the two men in the picture are they arn’t nessisarly actors they could be models or just two random crew guys who don’t act at all, I don’t think they ever thought it would get to the point that they’d need parents or even if the show did work that anybody would care about the parents.Not really possible since he’s got hsi show but I was hoping I’d open this link and see Taye Diggs since I 1 love his voice and don’t hear enough of it in Rent and 2 he’s, of course, married to Idina (Shelby.

Comment by Mallory – January 18, 2012 11:04 AM PDT
        • I totally agree with you.

Comment by Lauren – January 18, 2012 01:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • That joke didn’t stand too well on it’s own anyway. Look at Mariah Carey, Rashida Jones, Maya Rudolph. They’re all half black and don’t really look it. They could’ve cast Taye Diggs as her other father and they could have still been biologically related. They are some multi-racial people who were resemble one ethnicity more than the other.

Comment by Matty – January 18, 2012 04:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Yes, people, as Pres. Barack Obama doesn’t “look” white– people of mixed races often resemble one parent or the other more. Duh. Can’t believe we’re even having this discussion.

Comment by Konakathie – January 19, 2012 12:45 PM PDT
      • This is why I didn’t want them to cast Rachel’s dads, Glee can’t handle continuity. And don’t give me the “But he’s black nonsense”. Please, he doesn’t look black, who cares if he’s one sixteenth black or whatever he is.

Comment by Mia – January 18, 2012 10:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • My husband is black and he has darker skin. His father, however, is very light skinned and looks more like a white man. If I was casting the show I would not have chosen my father-in-law to play the part especially since the pictures show one of her dads is darker skinned.

Please Ryan Murphy, could you have your writers be more consistant in their writing. As you can see, us fans don’t forget.

Comment by Brad – January 18, 2012 11:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • “German, Scottish, African, and Native American”, according to imdb.com. That doesn’t make him black.

Comment by Ken – January 18, 2012 12:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • “And say to those who blame us for the way we chose to fight, that sometimes there are battles that are more than Black or White….”

I stopped watching this show years ago, but I’ll check this episode out on Hulu for Jeff and Brian. That’s pretty good casting.

Comment by Alice – January 18, 2012 09:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • He was AMAZING in Ragtime. “Make Them Hear You” makes me cry every time.

Comment by Lindie – January 18, 2012 10:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I was gonna say the same thing…

Comment by SciFiChickie – January 18, 2012 09:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Thats what i was saying. thats weird

Comment by Dreama Watson – January 18, 2012 10:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Brian Stokes Mitchell is black.

Comment by Michael – January 18, 2012 10:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Briand Stokes-Mitchell may be African-American, but the picture Rachel had of her dad’s in the first season had one VERY dark man in it. Unless this is going to be one more thing the Glee writers can’t manage to be consistent on, he’s going to have to be darkened with makeup to play the part.

Comment by Sondra – January 18, 2012 10:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • If you want to know what Mr. Stokes-Mitchell considers himself to be (assuming he desires to do so and share it with the world…), why don’t you ask him! It is no one’s place to decide “what” a person is except for the person him/herself. The rest should just shut-up! It’s irrelevant. (or one would think in 2012). (Elton John and his partner would have been better choices. Well-known famous people “hiding out” in Ohio trying to give their daughter a “normal” childhood.)

Comment by Perun – January 18, 2012 01:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • EXACTLY! Identity formation belongs to the individual only, and nobody else. Everyone else is only trying to label BSM for their own comfort, so THEY know how to refer to him; it has nothing to do with how he defines himself. If he says he is a black man, he is a black man. If I, as a woman, identify as a man, I am a man. It will sound ludicrous to some who only think in black and white, but life does have gray areas, and race is one of them, as it is a socially constructed concept anyway. So everyone, get over your self-righteous indignation at someone’s identity just because you don’t agree with it. It’s none of your business anyway.

Comment by Ivory – January 18, 2012 03:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Nonsense. I cannot decide I am white, when my skin is black. All of this debate stems from America’s history of segregation. In the past he would have been called black. Today he is called African American. But looking at him he has very slight ‘African’ features, if at all, and in a modern equal society I would not describe him as African at all. Point is, it doesn’t really matter what colour he is, but don’t call someone black/white/indian/mexican if they clearly are not. It is clearly a continuity faux pas but I don’t care, I think he’s a lovely choice as one of Rachel’s Dads.

Comment by Ynnis – January 18, 2012 03:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I agree with u! I love Glee but they aren’t very good at consistency. lol

Comment by Britney – January 18, 2012 06:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yes. Pilot episode of Glee, 7 minutes 23 seconds they show a picture of Rachel with her Dads: a pasty white man with wire glasses and a black guy with a mustache.

Comment by amy – January 18, 2012 12:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yeah one of them is. This is just one of many continuity errors on glee!

Comment by Sophie – January 18, 2012 12:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I thought so too! I remember a pic in the first season of the two of them and one was definitely black!!!!!!

Comment by sqew – January 18, 2012 01:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yes…The original release was Ernest Pierce for the Black Dad.

Comment by Michael Nelson – January 18, 2012 01:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Brian Stokes Mitchell is black…… you can’t really play Coalhouse Walker (Ragtime) and be white.

Comment by GleeFanSometimes – January 18, 2012 02:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Please get this it has nothing to do with race.The problem is they should have picked a darker man. He is very light. He better get a Tan:0)

Comment by mary – January 18, 2012 02:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • This subject is ridiculous. I would have thought fans of “Glee” would be above a discussion about whether or not someone is African-American or “dark enough”. Nontheless, most people know a light skinned African-American can have a dark skinned child and vice-versa. Please stop this inane conversation and remember one of the most important tenants of “Glee”; ACCEPTANCE.

Comment by Cassi – January 18, 2012 03:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • It’s not about a matter of racism or “acceptance”, it’s continuity. It was explicitly shown in the pilot episode that one of Rachel’s dads was a dark-skinned African American, not a light-skinned multiracial (though part African American) man. Continuity has never been Glee’s strong suit, but changing a character’s entire appearance and race is too much.

Comment by Pavone – January 18, 2012 05:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Are you implying that all dark skinned African American men look the same and the audience won’t be able to tell the difference?

Because if you’re not, it doesn’t make the blindest bit of difference what skin tone her non-white dad has, the audience will know the difference and either whine or accept that sometimes characters get re-cast (just because you’re cast as a photoshoot for a picture in one episode doesn’t mean you’ll get cast as that person years later and that’s a commonly accepted fact).

If you are suggesting that all dark skinned African American men look the same, then wow.

Comment by doesn't matter – January 24, 2012 01:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yes and there was a picture of them in Season 1 – she kept in in her locker?

Comment by Caroline – January 19, 2012 04:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Now if they can get Julie Andrews to be Kurt’s grandmother….

Comment by Karen – January 20, 2012 07:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is great, and I’m stoked to see Jeff Goldblum on Glee. But did the Glee writers forget from the pilot (those photobooth pictures in her locker) that one of Rachel’s dads is supposed to be black?

Comment by Alex – January 17, 2012 07:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yes, but they also forgot that Finn had a disgusted “who’s that crazy girl?” face the first time he saw Rachel. That doesn’t seem to stop them from changing everything.

Comment by Continuity – January 17, 2012 08:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • That was the first time they spoke, not the first time they saw each other, they had been going to the same school for a while so obviously they saw each other before the events of the pilot!

Comment by Augie – January 18, 2012 10:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • They didn’t speak, they were singing. Also, I really doubt Finn was looking at any of the unpopular girls. And even if he did, it would be to laugh at them. And he did say the only good thing about Rachel Berry was her voice. Never her looks, never her personality. He always said negative things about those two aspects of her. So I really doubt he would have looked at her that way.

Comment by C – January 18, 2012 08:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Brian Mitchell is black.

Comment by E – January 17, 2012 08:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • According to imdb.com, he is “German, Scottish, African, and Native American”. Clearly not “black”.

Comment by Ken – January 18, 2012 12:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I’m really curious as to what your idea of “African” is if it doesn’t translate out to darker pigment, Ken. Because unless he’s South African (normally characterized to look something like Charlize Theron), I’m pretty sure African is considered black.. And yes, while he may be mixed and lighter skinned, he certainly doesn’t look like any of the other races.

Comment by Camille – January 18, 2012 03:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • isnt one of her dads suppose to be black? u know, remember the pic from season 1…..oh glee!

Comment by Amber Riley Army – January 17, 2012 07:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Brian Stokes Mitchell is Black.

Comment by E – January 17, 2012 08:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • But… they’re both white. Wasn’t one of Rachel’s dads black?

Comment by Jamie – January 17, 2012 07:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Brian Stokes Mitchell is African- American, although just very light skinned.

Comment by Lulu – January 17, 2012 07:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • But one of Rachel dads is supposed to be Jewish!

(Yeah, I know. I just wanted to break up the “but one of Rachel’s dads is supposed to be black” comments that will continue for some time.)

Comment by Rock Golf – January 18, 2012 07:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Rock Golf – I was wishing for a like button. This post cracked me up!!!

Comment by Marie – January 18, 2012 10:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Well, Jeff Goldblum is actually jewish lol xDD

Comment by Eleonora – January 18, 2012 11:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • hahahaha! Awesome

Comment by kicks – January 18, 2012 11:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I was looking for a ‘LIKE’ button too! haha!!

Comment by Missy – January 18, 2012 12:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Jeff Goldblum = casting decision of the century. He’s hilarious. He’s big enough, yet talented enough to pull this off. I’m excited about Glee again!

Comment by Slizabeth – January 17, 2012 07:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Wait–Isn’t Jeff Goldblum black?

Comment by Phil – January 18, 2012 10:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • LOL. Thanks for starting my morning with a laugh, Phil

Comment by Brad – January 18, 2012 10:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • LOVE IT!

Comment by Lulu – January 17, 2012 07:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This. Wasn’t it Taye Diggs who expressed interest in playing the part?

Comment by blahdeeblah – January 17, 2012 07:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • after the piss poor story they gave his wife why would he want to do it?

Comment by jim – January 17, 2012 09:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • who’s Taye Diggs’ wife?

Comment by veesmom – January 18, 2012 10:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Taye Diggs is married to Idina Menzel.

Comment by Sher De Lune – January 18, 2012 10:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Idina Menzel…Shelby

Comment by Brian Gressett – January 18, 2012 10:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Idina Menzel aka Rachel’s biological mother is Taye Diggs’ wife.

Comment by Adelais – January 18, 2012 10:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Idina Menzel– Rachel’s biological mom.

Comment by TR – January 18, 2012 11:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Idina Menzel is Taye Diggs’ wife.

Comment by MuseofSatie – January 18, 2012 11:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Comment by annie – January 17, 2012 07:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Right there with you! It’s starting to tick me off. It’s a story people. A story. Not real life. Roll with it and enjoy!

Comment by noelbows – January 18, 2012 02:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • WHY, JEFF GOLDBLUM? WHY? i thought you knew better!

Comment by elizabeth – January 17, 2012 07:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Jeff Goldblum is epic, he is also extremely talented musically. Plays piano like a dream and is a fantastic singer.

Comment by Natalie – January 19, 2012 03:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I clicked on this, mildly curious, but not thinking I would really care at all.

When I saw both Jeff Goldblum and Brian Stokes, I let out a sound somewhere between a squeak and a yelp, and startled my cat so much that she won’t come out from under the sofa.

Comment by kat – January 17, 2012 07:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Me, too! First I saw Brian Stokes Mitchell, and I screamed, and then my eyes finally wandered over and saw Jeff Goldblum, and I let out another shriek. I imagine the whole neighborhood is wondering what is going on in my house.

Comment by Erin – January 17, 2012 08:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • AMAZING!!!…the only issue I have is that one of the dads was shown in the pilot as African-American…

Comment by Patricia – January 17, 2012 07:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • And guess what, the guy who isn’t Jeff Goldblum is black.

Comment by E – January 17, 2012 08:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • In heritage only. The picture from season 1 showed a VERY black guy. Brian is barely more than “tanned”. It makes the joke from season one “we don’t know which one is my biological father” not work nearly as well. Either one of them could believably be her father at this point.

Comment by Randy – January 18, 2012 11:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Anyone who watches Glee knows the creators always stray and work angles so it makes a better episode. They are not going to cast the two originals the obviously black and obviously Jewish actors, because they are not big names. Being that it was the pilot they didn’t think “hey we should probably hire big names now just in case this is a hit” They wouldn’t be the first to do this. They also said she was a test tube baby, with one of the men being her biological, and then made it seem like Shelby got preggo on her own and gave it up for adoption. I’ve never quite followed that story line.

Comment by Amanda – January 18, 2012 11:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • The thing is, though, they shot that joke in the foot anyway when they cast Idina Menzel as Rachel’s biological mother, since Idina and Lea look so much alike. Rachel didn’t really favor EITHER man in the pictures, iirc, and both looked way too young anyway. They were probably guys on set–camera men or sound crew or something. I know interracial kids who completely favor one parent. In fact, my cousin likes to joke that her son’s coloring matches his dad’s so well that “Chris had to have cheated on me with a black woman to make that boy.” It’s rare for one set of genes to completely dominate over the other, but it happens. Plus, I think it’s sweet that they picked actors that favor each other, because it makes the “joke” real.

Comment by BDC2012 – January 18, 2012 08:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t know how I feel about this…

Comment by lolo – January 17, 2012 07:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Umm… wasn’t one of them supposed to be black?

Comment by Erin – January 17, 2012 07:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • uhm…. isn’t one of her dads supposed to be black.? according to season one…

Comment by jennifer – January 17, 2012 07:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • But they are both white..

Comment by Ali. – January 17, 2012 07:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • No, they aren’t. Brian Stokes Mitchell is African American.

Comment by E – January 17, 2012 08:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • ok the fact that Brian Stokes Mitchell is African American doesn’t change that Rachel’s dad is supposed to be a lot DARKER…and this guy is Caucasian next to the guy on the pilot

Comment by Gabriela – January 18, 2012 07:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wait… In the pilot episode they stated che had one black dad and one white dad, and made a joke about ‘not knowing which one she got her looks from’ or something… They both look awfully caucasian-adjacent to me!

Comment by Matt – January 17, 2012 07:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Stokes IS a black man….very light skinned but black nonetheless. Trust me, he fits the bill. :)

Comment by KeiraNY – January 17, 2012 07:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Except he doesn’t. The joke was funny because even though she said they still weren’t sure which man was her bio dad, one of the men in the picture was very obviously had dark skin, so the takeaway (without getting into genetics and how a dark skinned person can have a lighter skinned child) was that her bio dad was not the black man.

No disrespect to Stokes at all. But Glee casting directors dropped the ball on this one.

Comment by Amanda – January 17, 2012 08:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Yes, because Glee goes through such great pains to preserve continuity.
          (psst, that was sarcasm)

Comment by kat – January 18, 2012 06:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Go back to genetics 101 . Yes a dark skin person can have a light skin child, just like a white person can have a darkskin child. don’t get it twisted. And so what he’s black. what’s the problem.

Comment by kitty – January 18, 2012 09:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I am so stealing “caucasian-adjacent”!

Comment by Pop Culture Bystander – January 18, 2012 03:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • *sigh* after swearing off Glee for most of season 3, now I know I will definitely have to watch it, because Jeff Goldblum is the man.

Comment by Ben – January 17, 2012 07:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • YAY!!! I love Stokes!!!! Have seen him twice on stage & he’s GREAT!!!! I’m iffy about Goldblum but confident he’ll do well. Super stoked about STOKES!!!!! :)

Comment by KeiraNY – January 17, 2012 07:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I approve of this casting.

Comment by Zazoo – January 17, 2012 07:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Isn’t one of her dad’s supposed to be black? Wasn’t the joke from season 1 that they didn’t know which one her biological father was?

Comment by Michelle – January 17, 2012 07:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I haven’t watched this season but THIS will make me watch. And maybe even buy the season DVD. And definitely download whatever songs they sing… and play, please play Jeff Goldblum!!

Comment by The8treGirl – January 17, 2012 07:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Rachel was not adopted. Shelby was artificially inseminated by one of her fathers.

Comment by Leigh – January 17, 2012 07:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Exactly. And they mixed their sperm so they “wouldn’t’ know who the actual biological father was”. but its pretty obvious, right? although despite all the uninformed comments about Brian Stokes Mitchell ‘not being black’, that is was probably Jeff Goldblum? Brian is pretty light skinned, is it ‘cafe au laid’? like Lena Horne? so I wonder if they’ll address that issue on the episode. How can they not? … Great casting.

Comment by RichardSF – January 18, 2012 08:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • No its not obvious. Did you know maya rudolph’s mother was black is that obvious. Don’t assume anything because of a persons skin color. That’s why black is beautiful we come in all colors from the lightest light, to the darkest dark. google that!!!

Comment by kitty – January 18, 2012 10:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Yes, Maya Rudolph’s mother was the incredibly talented singer Minnie Riperton, of the 7 or 8 octave voice. Probably best known for the song “Loving You” (at the end of which you hear her singing “Maya, Maya”). Just a bit of trivia…

Comment by Miss Lee – January 18, 2012 08:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Isn’t one of Rachel’s dad’s supposed be black? I’m like 90% sure in the pilot they said one her fathers is black.

Comment by matthew c – January 17, 2012 07:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Just how dumb are you? Brian Stokes Mitchell is African American.

Comment by A – January 17, 2012 08:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • A, why are you the only person who has rudely made the case that Brian Stokes Mitchell is, indeed, black? Clearly by looking at the two photos above, Mitchell has an extremely light complexion. The manner in which you make your statement implies that EVERYONE knows who Brian Stokes Mitchell is and that his ethnicity is readily apparent. In truth, he’s NOT that well-known outside of Broadway and in the image on this website, he looks like a white man. Just how dumb are YOU?

Comment by joseph – January 17, 2012 08:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Well 500 people have already commented he is black so if people read maybe other wouldn’t be getting annoyed by the same question.

Comment by read – January 17, 2012 09:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • If you look at the time stamps there are only 4 minutes separating the first comment and this comment so maybe they didn’t see it when they posted their comment… And this comment was posted before all of the replies…

Comment by jazzyt2u – January 17, 2012 11:12 PM PDT
        • The answer is that, just maybe, you should LOOK and think (or hey, even look something up if you’re that oblivious) before yammering on a blog. Any blog. 24/7/365. Stop making youself look like an idiot, and then other will stop pointing it out.

Comment by Tarc – January 18, 2012 04:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Yes, please stop making youself look like an idiot.

Comment by Marissa – January 18, 2012 07:36 AM PDT
  • Now we need to know grandparents for each dad and Shelby.

Comment by Lucy – January 17, 2012 07:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is weird.. one of them supposed to be black..

Comment by Spence – January 17, 2012 07:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • BSM *is African American. and he’s a fantastic Broadway actor. I don’t even mind Jeff G. My complaint (?) is that they seem too old?

Comment by Betsy – January 17, 2012 07:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I LOVE this! Brian Stokes Mitchell’s voice is like BUTTAH! Don’t forget he sings the amazing “Through Heaven’s Eyes” from The Prince of Egypt…:-)

Comment by Noodley – January 17, 2012 08:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Everybody, shut up and read this before you all continue to post the same brilliant insight: BRIAN STOKES-MITCHELL IS BLACK.

Comment by J – January 17, 2012 08:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is the most disappointing casting I’ve ever seen on any show. I can’t believe these two are the ones they chose to play two characters people have been waiting to see for 3 years.

Comment by SW – January 17, 2012 08:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • if I’m not mistaken, back in the 1st episode of the series they showed a picture of her gay dads in her locker… one of them was black… so way to being consistent Ryan Murphy

Comment by racso23 – January 17, 2012 08:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • And Brian Stokes Mitchell is black, you ignoramous.

Comment by A – January 17, 2012 08:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Hmmm… wondering if this is the same brilliant A who was bullying matthew c earlier…

Comment by joseph – January 17, 2012 08:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Oh for heavens sake people, let the photo from the 1 st season GO! Shows are ALWAYS changing people from how they look when we 1st glimpse them. Jeff and Brian are pretty perfect. They’ll do great, and actually get me to watch Glee again.

Comment by Tjj50 – January 18, 2012 02:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Awesome! Also I love how Brian Mitchell’s skin is so light that that line in the first episode about her not know which of her dad’s is her biological father now rings true instead of just being a silly punch line.

Comment by Ro – January 17, 2012 08:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • But it was better when it was a punch line. It’s not like Glee strives for realism.

Comment by Lo – January 17, 2012 08:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Sure it was a good punchline…..one that Glee was highly criticized for stealing from Arrested Development at the time. Whether they are trying to distance from that or just decided Stokes was the best actor for the job, believe me, he is worth dropping a joke no one remembers on a show full of plotholes.

Comment by Jessica – January 18, 2012 07:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Clearly a lot of people remember the joke- it’s referred to about twenty times on this first page.

Comment by Yancy – January 18, 2012 09:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Brilliant.

Comment by Krista – January 17, 2012 08:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I clicked on this because I was excited……now I’m not so much. Ugh. I wanted Taye Diggs.

Comment by ok then – January 17, 2012 08:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • FOR PETES SAKE, ONE OF HER DADS IS BLACK!! BRIAN STOKES MITCHELL IS BLACK!!! ENOUGH QUESTIONING IT!! Hurray!! These two are AWESOME!!

Comment by Hilly – January 17, 2012 08:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • AMEN …… talk about some ignorance.

Comment by KenBud – January 17, 2012 08:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • All of these comments are killing me. Maybe it’s because the first time I saw Brian Stokes Mitchell was in Ragtime, but I am having a hard time seeing how people are confused. Aaah, his voice, I can’t wait.

Comment by Erin – January 17, 2012 08:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I didn’t want to state the obvious, but Black ppl come in all shades just like every other race….

Comment by Kathryn – January 17, 2012 08:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yes, they do. But it wasn’t so much that the first episode *said* that one of her father’s was black as it *showed* a picture where one was a dark-skinned black guy. Yes, some people are dumb and don’t realize he’s black, but he is nowhere near the color that Rachel’s dad was previously shown to be which is closer to a Taye Diggs color and would have been extra hilarious in light of who Shelley is played by.

Comment by Kim – January 17, 2012 08:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Thank you for saying the thing I was thinking. I think that there are a lot of people who missed the fact that there was a picture in Rachel’s locker. Being a writer myself, this is the type of thing that really bugs me in writing. It’s not that hard to keep a continuity sheet nearby. Although I love the show, sometimes I wanna scream at the writers.

Comment by QueenFluffernutter – January 18, 2012 12:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • It’s not that people are missing the “fact” that there was a picture in Rachel’s locker… it’s that most people DON’T CARE. I don’t understand why people are so concerned about how the guy they cast doesn’t resemble a picture from season one closely enough. Seriously, I don’t get why this matters to people? Just stop whining, watch the show and enjoy it, or stop watching if it bothers you this much.

Comment by Maddy – January 18, 2012 09:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Taye Diggs was way too young to play Rachels dad, his own child was born last year, so saying these two are too old is ridiculous!

Comment by Jenly – January 17, 2012 08:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • True, but Rachel’s mother is played by Diggs’ wife, and they were born the same year.

Comment by Beth – January 17, 2012 08:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Tay Diggs will soon be 41. Plenty old enough to have a teenage daughter

I would have been so fun, what with his wife Idina Menzel (also soon to be 41) playing Rachel’s mom and all

Comment by tina – January 17, 2012 08:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • People don’t generally adopt kids when they’re still in their early 20s, so it makes sense her dads would be older.

Comment by Morgan – January 18, 2012 03:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Agreed!!! Most people adopt kids when they are in their 30′s or older.

Comment by Trish – January 18, 2012 11:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Not necessarily…my father was 31, but my mother was only 27 when they adopted me!

Comment by Mary Beth – January 18, 2012 12:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • AGREED!

Comment by AllieBoBallie – January 18, 2012 10:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • That is to say, I agree Taye Digsgs would’ve be fantastic casting. I completely disagree that age is an issue. Ever.

Comment by AllieBoBallie – January 18, 2012 10:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yeah but he can’t, he have a contract with another network.

Comment by andre – January 17, 2012 08:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Brian is part black. That picture just makes him look white. Google him and you’ll see he’s darker than that in real life.

Comment by Emma – January 17, 2012 08:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That’s exactly what I was thinking. They just picked a bad picture of him to show here because he looks too white.

Comment by Jodes – January 18, 2012 07:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • They’re not her “adoptive parents.” Remember the sperm mixing story? One of them (obviously Goldblum) is her biological father.

Comment by Abby – January 17, 2012 08:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Not obiviously!!!

Comment by kitty – January 18, 2012 10:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Didn’t Shelby give her up because she couldn’t take care of her? I thought that she was
      adopted by the two men.

Comment by jojo – January 18, 2012 11:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Shelby gave Rachel up for adoption because she was paid. She was a surrogate for two gay men. She had no interest in being a mother at that point in her life. The two gay dads bankrolled Shelby getting set up in NYC so she could pursue her show biz dreams in exchange for Rachel.

Comment by Wordess – January 18, 2012 11:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I’m a little surprised at how many people have either forgotten or are ignoring that Rachel was born through surrogacy and wasn’t adopted. Of course, since this is Glee, I wouldn’t be surprised if there was a “shock” and Rachel isn’t either of the men’s daughter. Shelby had sex with another guy after the procedure and got pregnant from him but didn’t realize it was him and not the surrogate. Surprise! Not.

Comment by Norma – January 19, 2012 11:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • BLOODY BRILLIANT AND COMPLETELY UNEXPECTED! LOVE IT!

Comment by Espy – January 17, 2012 08:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ll be watching cougar town

Comment by Cat – January 17, 2012 08:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • seconded

(but I do enjoy glee and will DVR it)

Comment by tina – January 17, 2012 08:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • While I was pulling for Jesse L. Martin from day one, Brian Stokes Mitchell had better tear that ish UP! I’m so excited now, can’t wait!!

Comment by Annette – January 17, 2012 08:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Jessie would have been a good one!!!!

Comment by jazzyt2u – January 17, 2012 11:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • A little disappointed that they couldn’t get Taye Diggs, but this sounds pretty good!

Comment by KSM – January 17, 2012 08:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yes, Stokes is black and is amazing. If they waste him like they wasted Victor Garber I’ll be so pissed.

Comment by Laura – January 17, 2012 08:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Totally agree with them wasting Victor Garber! He didn’t even get to sing! I like this casting, but now that Taye Diggs is mentioned, I like that better – too bad he’s on Private Practice. Oh well, BSM is awesome. They need to bring back Victor and have him sing :)

Comment by lmm – January 18, 2012 01:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yes! Jeff Goldblum as one of Rachel’s dads is the casting decision of the year! I’ve always been a huge fan of his. Can’t wait until his first episode!

Comment by Taylor – January 17, 2012 08:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think this is inspired casting. can’t wait!

Comment by gorram – January 17, 2012 08:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Awesome. Freakin’ awesome. Spot on casting. Well done, GLEE!

Comment by steevoh – January 17, 2012 08:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is… The greatest thing in the entire world. For once, Ryan Murphy did good.
    (Though I really would’ve loved Stanley Tucci)

Comment by Lily – January 17, 2012 08:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Indeed, good lady. I would enjoy maybe Taye Diggs with Stanley Tucci, but this is a great option.

Comment by feel like a sir. – January 18, 2012 11:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • OMG You people are either trying to be funny and failing or your extremely ignorant! clearly the actor is just light skinned!

Comment by Jake – January 17, 2012 08:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The way this show is heading, the final episode will probably feature a storyline in which all of the remaining straight characters (which are dwindling with every passing episode) decide they’re gay, too.

Comment by Yeah, ok – January 17, 2012 08:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • No one has ‘gone gay’ on the entire show aside from Santana and (minor character) Karofsky. Fifty episodes in and only two people… that makes you (quite literally) 98% wrong.

Comment by Tarc – January 18, 2012 04:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Dumbass, it would only be “quite literally” 98% wrong if there were exactly 100 characters.

Comment by Adrian – January 18, 2012 09:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • lol that was the worst comeback ever.

Comment by fail – January 18, 2012 11:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • A Tony Award Winner!

Jeff!

I approve! Great casting!

Comment by Dee – January 17, 2012 08:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post