Exclusive

Glee Exclusive: Rachel's Gay Dads Revealed!

As far as parental cliffhangers go, it’s second only to the identity of the Mother on a certain CBS sitcom: Glee has finally cast Rachel’s gay dads, and TVLine can reveal which musically-inclined actors landed the plum parts.

A show insider confirms to TVLine exclusively that onetime Law & Order: Criminal Intent detective Jeff Goldblum and Broadway veteran Brian Stokes Mitchell have been tapped to play Hiram and LeRoy Berry, the adoptive parents of Lea Michele’s character.

First Look: Glee Pays Tribute to the King of Pop!

The duo will first appear in the show’s Valentine’s Day episode — which as luck would have it will actually air on Feb. 14, and is titled “Heart.” And yes, they will sing.

Although Goldblum is best known for his movie and TV work, he’s also an accomplished jazz pianist who made his Broadway debut back in 1971 in the Tony-winning musical Two Gentleman in Verona.

Glee Scoop: Will Finn Be Back Next Season?

Mitchell, meanwhile, is something of a Great White Way legend, having appeared in dozens of high-profile productions including Jelly’s Last Jam, Ragtime, Man of La Macha and Kiss Me Kate (for which he won a 2000 Tony Award for Best Actor.) His TV credits include playing Kelsey Grammer’s onscreen nemesis on Frasier and a love interest for Vanessa Williams’ Wilhelmina on Ugly Betty.

Thoughts?!

TAGS: , , , ,
GET MORE: Casting News, Exclusive, Glee, News, Scoop

1. nicole says:

umm weren’t one of her dads suppose to be black?

• Guest. says:

Brian Stokes Mitchell is African- American.

• squeegy says:

and don’t forget, he is CAAAM WINSTON!!!!

• Sean Johnson says:

I totally forgot he was Cam Winston on “Frasier”! lol

He was also awesome as Trevor on “Fresh Prince of Bel-Air”! Thanks for the refresher ’cause I totally didn’t recognize him at first!

• Rock Golf says:

…and, as I was reminded at another website, Lea Michelle’s first Broadway role was as one of the children in Ragtime, which starred Brian Stokes Mitchell. Biran & Lea known each other since she was 5.

• Nikki says:

Actually, Lea Michele’s first Broadway role was in Les Miserables when she was 8. Ragtime was her second Broadway role (and she began the production when it was in Toronto still) when she was 11. Still awesome that they are reuniting though!

• ruben says:

Right, very black. And i’m asian.

• Ashlee says:

People need to realize that information used in a pilot is NOT part of continuity. Changed characterizations, backstories and plots may or may not be changed later on.

A pilot is a test run, to gauge an Audience’s reaction. So what if he dad in the PILOT episode was darker- a pilot episode is aired before a show gets the final greenlight. As far as they were aware back then, they may not have had a show at all.

And guys, racism much?

“HE’S NOT AFRICAN-AMERICAN UNLESS HE’S GOT DARK SKIN!”

No. He’s African-American if he has African-American heritage. So what if he’s mixed race? Big deal! Grow up and get over it- it’s GLEE for crying out loud.

• Cory says:

No. The point of a pilot episode is to show the network, and hopefully the audience, who the characters are and what the show is about. Yes, recasting after the pilot can occur (i.e. John Corbett as Amber and Drew’s father in Parenthood) and the story or comedy can evolve throughout the season/series (i.e. Cougar Town) but the background of the characters and the already established stories stay the same. A pilot isn’t a “test run” that writers can pick apart and choose what is a part of the show’s reality and what isn’t based on America’s reaction. (And yes, I see the irony in making this continuity argument for Glee.) If a pilot airs, the show got the greenlight and episodes were ordered.

• Darlene says:

Couldn’t have said it better!

• M. Hallstrom says:

I do not think about African American. I am not called German American .My grand Babes are mixed but very dark but they are not called African American .their mommy is white and Daddy is Black and they think of themselves as kids. so what part do you want to forget?Mommy or Daddy? I Think neither.who cares what the Pilot had in it.

• Shane says:

Actually, regardless of the color of his skin, he’s not African-American unless he has dual citizenship.

• Bridgett Oero says:

Ashlee your absolutely right. yes in the first episode there is a picture of Rachel’s dads and one was black but I can see some color in Brian Stokes Mitchell. people are overreacting to nothing lets calm down and remember this is just a TV show.

• Dav says:

Sorry to tell you Cory but pilots get changed and “re-tooled” all the time.

• Ken says:

According to imdb.com, he is “German, Scottish, African, and Native American”. How does that make him African-American when he is clearly mixed?

• Darlene says:

Because sometimes mixed folks like to simplify things ;) – ask me how I know.

• the girl says:

I don’t think it’s just about simplification. Many older americans of mixed race grew up in a time when there was no “mixed” category – they either were white (as in, light enough to pass) or Black (as in, not light enough to pass). So they chose Black for a myriad of reasons, or they were forced to choose Black because of the one-drop rule. There are still a lot of younger americans who consider themselves Black even if they are “mixed” because of tradition, because of affiliation with the Black community, because they were raised by the Black parent, because they feel a stronger connection to their Black roots, etc.
            I am really annoyed by all of these comments on here that are pretending not to know the history of our country and sounding appalled at how a man of mixed heritage could choose to consider himself Black. That he has the choice to identify himself with his european ancestry is a new phenomena.

• M. Hallstrom says:

well said!!!

• RachelDachel says:

Nuts are mixed; people are multi-racial, bi-racial, multi-cultural. As for how his cultural background makes him African American, Google “one drop rule” for your answer.

• Dan says:

When will you accept that YOU ARE ALL AMERICAN! Be proud. In France we have the concept of French First. This means before I am black, before I am white, before I am muslim, christian or before I am someone have no belief in God, I am French. This binds us together. Two generations ago I was Welsh, Nigerian and Australian. Five generations ago I don’t know. One hundred generations ago, and who am I? To quote Skakespeare; ‘If you prick us, do we not bleed? if you tickle us, do we not laugh? if you poison us, do we not die?’. Get a grip we’re all in this together we should just get on with it. And listening to glee fans fight about this is a HUGE irony.

• anon says:

Brian Stokes Mitchell is Black.

• Amanda says:

That is true, however they should have cast a darker skinned man to keep in line with the joke that they didn’t know who her biological father was, because it was supposed to be super obvious that the black man was not.

Stokes may be great, but the casting directors screwed up the continuity and the joke from the pilot.

• Kate says:

Didn’t Brian Stokes Mitchell play Trevor, Hilary’s news caster boyfriend who died (bungee jumping I think?) on The Fresh Prince of Bel Air?

• Tucker says:

They’ve screwed a lot of things up since the pilot. Stokes and Goldblum are golden.

• Angie says:

I wonder how many MORE people are going to post “but I thought one of them was black!!!!” only to be answered “brian mitchell IS black”.

• Ben Kabak says:

He’s not black

• crystal sanders says:

He is too! Look it up he is Black! He may not be as dark skinned as Taye Diggs, but he is black none the less.

• TeresaInthewings says:

Yeah really, actually I think he’s more brown than black, like most people.
            In addition…people people people, this is musical theater. People break in to song in the classroom and suddenly they are on stage or in a wind tunnel imagining having s.e.x. with a teacher. Kids break in to song in the rehearsal room and voila` a small orchestra appears.
            Did any of you who are all excited about the lighter black guy replacing the darker black guy in the picture ever go see “Cats” on Braodway? Did you get up and walk out when you discovered it was people in cat make up and not actual felines dancing and singing on stage?

• Brad says:

Doesn’t she have a picture of her dads in her locker? I’m almost certain that she does and the black man is much darker skinned. I’m not familiar with Brian Stokes Mitchell but I’m sure he’ll do a fine job, but Glee has a real problem with continuity.

• Lauren says:

Yes, she did. I JUST watched the pilot less than 20 mins ago. They show her fathers with pictures from a photobooth WITH Rachel taped to her locker. I’m starting to think that the producers of Glee don’t think their fans keep up and pay attention.

• Natalie says:

Yup, Brad is right, they showed photobooth photos that were in Rachels locker of her 2 gay dads, one of them was an extremely black African American, not simply a person of African American descent. He was chocolate for crying out loud. And the other guy was some insanely looking dorky guy.
            The whole pun being that both fathers sperm was mixed together before being inserted into the mother with a turkey baster and to this day, they don’t know which one her real dad is…

When its obvious, because one of them is an extremely black man, and the other is a white geek boy.

• TeresaInthewings says:

I think you don’t understand musical theater. Does it bother you that there are 20 professional dancers who show up to dance on the steps whenever there is a big song/dance number at lunch time? Where did those kids come from and when did the rehearse with the Glee club?

• Dejo says:

So what about continuity? People don’t really notice until after the episodes are over anyway. Honestly, look at films. There are continuity errors in almost every movie…does this mean people stop watching them? NO! Same with TV shows. Who really cares? It’s an acting/singling show. Get over it already!

• Kari says:

Since when has continuity meant anything to the producers of Glee? I can’t wait to see this!

• Mallory says:

I think part of the issue is when they did the pilot none of them really truely thought anything was going to come of the show, who knows who the two men in the picture are they arn’t nessisarly actors they could be models or just two random crew guys who don’t act at all, I don’t think they ever thought it would get to the point that they’d need parents or even if the show did work that anybody would care about the parents.Not really possible since he’s got hsi show but I was hoping I’d open this link and see Taye Diggs since I 1 love his voice and don’t hear enough of it in Rent and 2 he’s, of course, married to Idina (Shelby.

• Lauren says:

I totally agree with you.

• Matty says:

That joke didn’t stand too well on it’s own anyway. Look at Mariah Carey, Rashida Jones, Maya Rudolph. They’re all half black and don’t really look it. They could’ve cast Taye Diggs as her other father and they could have still been biologically related. They are some multi-racial people who were resemble one ethnicity more than the other.

• Konakathie says:

Yes, people, as Pres. Barack Obama doesn’t “look” white– people of mixed races often resemble one parent or the other more. Duh. Can’t believe we’re even having this discussion.

• Mia says:

This is why I didn’t want them to cast Rachel’s dads, Glee can’t handle continuity. And don’t give me the “But he’s black nonsense”. Please, he doesn’t look black, who cares if he’s one sixteenth black or whatever he is.

• Brad says:

My husband is black and he has darker skin. His father, however, is very light skinned and looks more like a white man. If I was casting the show I would not have chosen my father-in-law to play the part especially since the pictures show one of her dads is darker skinned.

Please Ryan Murphy, could you have your writers be more consistant in their writing. As you can see, us fans don’t forget.

• Ken says:

“German, Scottish, African, and Native American”, according to imdb.com. That doesn’t make him black.

• Alice says:

“And say to those who blame us for the way we chose to fight, that sometimes there are battles that are more than Black or White….”

I stopped watching this show years ago, but I’ll check this episode out on Hulu for Jeff and Brian. That’s pretty good casting.

• SciFiChickie says:

I was gonna say the same thing…

• Dreama Watson says:

Thats what i was saying. thats weird

• Michael says:

Brian Stokes Mitchell is black.

• Sondra says:

Briand Stokes-Mitchell may be African-American, but the picture Rachel had of her dad’s in the first season had one VERY dark man in it. Unless this is going to be one more thing the Glee writers can’t manage to be consistent on, he’s going to have to be darkened with makeup to play the part.

• Perun says:

If you want to know what Mr. Stokes-Mitchell considers himself to be (assuming he desires to do so and share it with the world…), why don’t you ask him! It is no one’s place to decide “what” a person is except for the person him/herself. The rest should just shut-up! It’s irrelevant. (or one would think in 2012). (Elton John and his partner would have been better choices. Well-known famous people “hiding out” in Ohio trying to give their daughter a “normal” childhood.)

• Ivory says:

EXACTLY! Identity formation belongs to the individual only, and nobody else. Everyone else is only trying to label BSM for their own comfort, so THEY know how to refer to him; it has nothing to do with how he defines himself. If he says he is a black man, he is a black man. If I, as a woman, identify as a man, I am a man. It will sound ludicrous to some who only think in black and white, but life does have gray areas, and race is one of them, as it is a socially constructed concept anyway. So everyone, get over your self-righteous indignation at someone’s identity just because you don’t agree with it. It’s none of your business anyway.

• Ynnis says:

Nonsense. I cannot decide I am white, when my skin is black. All of this debate stems from America’s history of segregation. In the past he would have been called black. Today he is called African American. But looking at him he has very slight ‘African’ features, if at all, and in a modern equal society I would not describe him as African at all. Point is, it doesn’t really matter what colour he is, but don’t call someone black/white/indian/mexican if they clearly are not. It is clearly a continuity faux pas but I don’t care, I think he’s a lovely choice as one of Rachel’s Dads.

• Britney says:

I agree with u! I love Glee but they aren’t very good at consistency. lol

• amy says:

Yes. Pilot episode of Glee, 7 minutes 23 seconds they show a picture of Rachel with her Dads: a pasty white man with wire glasses and a black guy with a mustache.

• Sophie says:

Yeah one of them is. This is just one of many continuity errors on glee!

• sqew says:

I thought so too! I remember a pic in the first season of the two of them and one was definitely black!!!!!!

• Yes…The original release was Ernest Pierce for the Black Dad.

• GleeFanSometimes says:

Brian Stokes Mitchell is black…… you can’t really play Coalhouse Walker (Ragtime) and be white.

• mary says:

Please get this it has nothing to do with race.The problem is they should have picked a darker man. He is very light. He better get a Tan:0)

• Cassi says:

This subject is ridiculous. I would have thought fans of “Glee” would be above a discussion about whether or not someone is African-American or “dark enough”. Nontheless, most people know a light skinned African-American can have a dark skinned child and vice-versa. Please stop this inane conversation and remember one of the most important tenants of “Glee”; ACCEPTANCE.

• Pavone says:

It’s not about a matter of racism or “acceptance”, it’s continuity. It was explicitly shown in the pilot episode that one of Rachel’s dads was a dark-skinned African American, not a light-skinned multiracial (though part African American) man. Continuity has never been Glee’s strong suit, but changing a character’s entire appearance and race is too much.

• doesn't matter says:

Are you implying that all dark skinned African American men look the same and the audience won’t be able to tell the difference?

Because if you’re not, it doesn’t make the blindest bit of difference what skin tone her non-white dad has, the audience will know the difference and either whine or accept that sometimes characters get re-cast (just because you’re cast as a photoshoot for a picture in one episode doesn’t mean you’ll get cast as that person years later and that’s a commonly accepted fact).

If you are suggesting that all dark skinned African American men look the same, then wow.

• Caroline says:

Yes and there was a picture of them in Season 1 – she kept in in her locker?

• Karen says:

Now if they can get Julie Andrews to be Kurt’s grandmother….

2. Alex says:

This is great, and I’m stoked to see Jeff Goldblum on Glee. But did the Glee writers forget from the pilot (those photobooth pictures in her locker) that one of Rachel’s dads is supposed to be black?

• Continuity says:

Yes, but they also forgot that Finn had a disgusted “who’s that crazy girl?” face the first time he saw Rachel. That doesn’t seem to stop them from changing everything.

• Augie says:

That was the first time they spoke, not the first time they saw each other, they had been going to the same school for a while so obviously they saw each other before the events of the pilot!

• C says:

They didn’t speak, they were singing. Also, I really doubt Finn was looking at any of the unpopular girls. And even if he did, it would be to laugh at them. And he did say the only good thing about Rachel Berry was her voice. Never her looks, never her personality. He always said negative things about those two aspects of her. So I really doubt he would have looked at her that way.

• E says:

Brian Mitchell is black.

• Ken says:

According to imdb.com, he is “German, Scottish, African, and Native American”. Clearly not “black”.

• Camille says:

I’m really curious as to what your idea of “African” is if it doesn’t translate out to darker pigment, Ken. Because unless he’s South African (normally characterized to look something like Charlize Theron), I’m pretty sure African is considered black.. And yes, while he may be mixed and lighter skinned, he certainly doesn’t look like any of the other races.

3. Amber Riley Army says:

isnt one of her dads suppose to be black? u know, remember the pic from season 1…..oh glee!

4. Jamie says:

But… they’re both white. Wasn’t one of Rachel’s dads black?

5. Slizabeth says:

Jeff Goldblum = casting decision of the century. He’s hilarious. He’s big enough, yet talented enough to pull this off. I’m excited about Glee again!

6. Lulu says:

LOVE IT!

7. blahdeeblah says:

This. Wasn’t it Taye Diggs who expressed interest in playing the part?

8. annie says:

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

• noelbows says:

Right there with you! It’s starting to tick me off. It’s a story people. A story. Not real life. Roll with it and enjoy!

9. elizabeth says:

WHY, JEFF GOLDBLUM? WHY? i thought you knew better!

• Natalie says:

Jeff Goldblum is epic, he is also extremely talented musically. Plays piano like a dream and is a fantastic singer.

10. kat says:

I clicked on this, mildly curious, but not thinking I would really care at all.

When I saw both Jeff Goldblum and Brian Stokes, I let out a sound somewhere between a squeak and a yelp, and startled my cat so much that she won’t come out from under the sofa.

• Erin says:

Me, too! First I saw Brian Stokes Mitchell, and I screamed, and then my eyes finally wandered over and saw Jeff Goldblum, and I let out another shriek. I imagine the whole neighborhood is wondering what is going on in my house.

11. Patricia says:

AMAZING!!!…the only issue I have is that one of the dads was shown in the pilot as African-American…

• E says:

And guess what, the guy who isn’t Jeff Goldblum is black.

• Randy says:

In heritage only. The picture from season 1 showed a VERY black guy. Brian is barely more than “tanned”. It makes the joke from season one “we don’t know which one is my biological father” not work nearly as well. Either one of them could believably be her father at this point.

• Amanda says:

Anyone who watches Glee knows the creators always stray and work angles so it makes a better episode. They are not going to cast the two originals the obviously black and obviously Jewish actors, because they are not big names. Being that it was the pilot they didn’t think “hey we should probably hire big names now just in case this is a hit” They wouldn’t be the first to do this. They also said she was a test tube baby, with one of the men being her biological, and then made it seem like Shelby got preggo on her own and gave it up for adoption. I’ve never quite followed that story line.

• BDC2012 says:

The thing is, though, they shot that joke in the foot anyway when they cast Idina Menzel as Rachel’s biological mother, since Idina and Lea look so much alike. Rachel didn’t really favor EITHER man in the pictures, iirc, and both looked way too young anyway. They were probably guys on set–camera men or sound crew or something. I know interracial kids who completely favor one parent. In fact, my cousin likes to joke that her son’s coloring matches his dad’s so well that “Chris had to have cheated on me with a black woman to make that boy.” It’s rare for one set of genes to completely dominate over the other, but it happens. Plus, I think it’s sweet that they picked actors that favor each other, because it makes the “joke” real.

12. lolo says:

I don’t know how I feel about this…

13. Erin says:

Umm… wasn’t one of them supposed to be black?

14. jennifer says:

uhm…. isn’t one of her dads supposed to be black.? according to season one…

15. Ali. says:

But they are both white..

• E says:

No, they aren’t. Brian Stokes Mitchell is African American.

• Gabriela says:

ok the fact that Brian Stokes Mitchell is African American doesn’t change that Rachel’s dad is supposed to be a lot DARKER…and this guy is Caucasian next to the guy on the pilot

16. Matt says:

Wait… In the pilot episode they stated che had one black dad and one white dad, and made a joke about ‘not knowing which one she got her looks from’ or something… They both look awfully caucasian-adjacent to me!

• KeiraNY says:

Stokes IS a black man….very light skinned but black nonetheless. Trust me, he fits the bill. :)

• Amanda says:

Except he doesn’t. The joke was funny because even though she said they still weren’t sure which man was her bio dad, one of the men in the picture was very obviously had dark skin, so the takeaway (without getting into genetics and how a dark skinned person can have a lighter skinned child) was that her bio dad was not the black man.

No disrespect to Stokes at all. But Glee casting directors dropped the ball on this one.

• kat says:

Yes, because Glee goes through such great pains to preserve continuity.
          (psst, that was sarcasm)

• kitty says:

Go back to genetics 101 . Yes a dark skin person can have a light skin child, just like a white person can have a darkskin child. don’t get it twisted. And so what he’s black. what’s the problem.

• Pop Culture Bystander says:

I am so stealing “caucasian-adjacent”!

17. Ben says:

*sigh* after swearing off Glee for most of season 3, now I know I will definitely have to watch it, because Jeff Goldblum is the man.

18. KeiraNY says:

YAY!!! I love Stokes!!!! Have seen him twice on stage & he’s GREAT!!!! I’m iffy about Goldblum but confident he’ll do well. Super stoked about STOKES!!!!! :)

19. Zazoo says:

I approve of this casting.

20. Michelle says:

Isn’t one of her dad’s supposed to be black? Wasn’t the joke from season 1 that they didn’t know which one her biological father was?

21. The8treGirl says:

I haven’t watched this season but THIS will make me watch. And maybe even buy the season DVD. And definitely download whatever songs they sing… and play, please play Jeff Goldblum!!

22. Leigh says:

Rachel was not adopted. Shelby was artificially inseminated by one of her fathers.

• RichardSF says:

Exactly. And they mixed their sperm so they “wouldn’t’ know who the actual biological father was”. but its pretty obvious, right? although despite all the uninformed comments about Brian Stokes Mitchell ‘not being black’, that is was probably Jeff Goldblum? Brian is pretty light skinned, is it ‘cafe au laid’? like Lena Horne? so I wonder if they’ll address that issue on the episode. How can they not? … Great casting.

• kitty says:

No its not obvious. Did you know maya rudolph’s mother was black is that obvious. Don’t assume anything because of a persons skin color. That’s why black is beautiful we come in all colors from the lightest light, to the darkest dark. google that!!!

• Miss Lee says:

Yes, Maya Rudolph’s mother was the incredibly talented singer Minnie Riperton, of the 7 or 8 octave voice. Probably best known for the song “Loving You” (at the end of which you hear her singing “Maya, Maya”). Just a bit of trivia…

23. matthew c says:

Isn’t one of Rachel’s dad’s supposed be black? I’m like 90% sure in the pilot they said one her fathers is black.

• A says:

Just how dumb are you? Brian Stokes Mitchell is African American.

• joseph says:

A, why are you the only person who has rudely made the case that Brian Stokes Mitchell is, indeed, black? Clearly by looking at the two photos above, Mitchell has an extremely light complexion. The manner in which you make your statement implies that EVERYONE knows who Brian Stokes Mitchell is and that his ethnicity is readily apparent. In truth, he’s NOT that well-known outside of Broadway and in the image on this website, he looks like a white man. Just how dumb are YOU?

• read says:

Well 500 people have already commented he is black so if people read maybe other wouldn’t be getting annoyed by the same question.

• jazzyt2u says:

If you look at the time stamps there are only 4 minutes separating the first comment and this comment so maybe they didn’t see it when they posted their comment… And this comment was posted before all of the replies…

• Tarc says:

The answer is that, just maybe, you should LOOK and think (or hey, even look something up if you’re that oblivious) before yammering on a blog. Any blog. 24/7/365. Stop making youself look like an idiot, and then other will stop pointing it out.

24. Lucy says:

Now we need to know grandparents for each dad and Shelby.

25. Spence says:

This is weird.. one of them supposed to be black..

26. Betsy says:

BSM *is African American. and he’s a fantastic Broadway actor. I don’t even mind Jeff G. My complaint (?) is that they seem too old?

27. Noodley says:

I LOVE this! Brian Stokes Mitchell’s voice is like BUTTAH! Don’t forget he sings the amazing “Through Heaven’s Eyes” from The Prince of Egypt…:-)

28. J says:

Everybody, shut up and read this before you all continue to post the same brilliant insight: BRIAN STOKES-MITCHELL IS BLACK.

29. SW says:

This is the most disappointing casting I’ve ever seen on any show. I can’t believe these two are the ones they chose to play two characters people have been waiting to see for 3 years.

30. racso23 says:

if I’m not mistaken, back in the 1st episode of the series they showed a picture of her gay dads in her locker… one of them was black… so way to being consistent Ryan Murphy

• A says:

And Brian Stokes Mitchell is black, you ignoramous.

• Tjj50 says:

Oh for heavens sake people, let the photo from the 1 st season GO! Shows are ALWAYS changing people from how they look when we 1st glimpse them. Jeff and Brian are pretty perfect. They’ll do great, and actually get me to watch Glee again.

31. Ro says:

Awesome! Also I love how Brian Mitchell’s skin is so light that that line in the first episode about her not know which of her dad’s is her biological father now rings true instead of just being a silly punch line.

• Lo says:

But it was better when it was a punch line. It’s not like Glee strives for realism.

• Jessica says:

Sure it was a good punchline…..one that Glee was highly criticized for stealing from Arrested Development at the time. Whether they are trying to distance from that or just decided Stokes was the best actor for the job, believe me, he is worth dropping a joke no one remembers on a show full of plotholes.

32. Krista says:

Brilliant.

33. ok then says:

I clicked on this because I was excited……now I’m not so much. Ugh. I wanted Taye Diggs.

34. Hilly says:

FOR PETES SAKE, ONE OF HER DADS IS BLACK!! BRIAN STOKES MITCHELL IS BLACK!!! ENOUGH QUESTIONING IT!! Hurray!! These two are AWESOME!!

• KenBud says:

AMEN …… talk about some ignorance.

• Erin says:

All of these comments are killing me. Maybe it’s because the first time I saw Brian Stokes Mitchell was in Ragtime, but I am having a hard time seeing how people are confused. Aaah, his voice, I can’t wait.

35. Kathryn says:

I didn’t want to state the obvious, but Black ppl come in all shades just like every other race….

• Kim says:

Yes, they do. But it wasn’t so much that the first episode *said* that one of her father’s was black as it *showed* a picture where one was a dark-skinned black guy. Yes, some people are dumb and don’t realize he’s black, but he is nowhere near the color that Rachel’s dad was previously shown to be which is closer to a Taye Diggs color and would have been extra hilarious in light of who Shelley is played by.

• QueenFluffernutter says:

Thank you for saying the thing I was thinking. I think that there are a lot of people who missed the fact that there was a picture in Rachel’s locker. Being a writer myself, this is the type of thing that really bugs me in writing. It’s not that hard to keep a continuity sheet nearby. Although I love the show, sometimes I wanna scream at the writers.

• Maddy says:

It’s not that people are missing the “fact” that there was a picture in Rachel’s locker… it’s that most people DON’T CARE. I don’t understand why people are so concerned about how the guy they cast doesn’t resemble a picture from season one closely enough. Seriously, I don’t get why this matters to people? Just stop whining, watch the show and enjoy it, or stop watching if it bothers you this much.

36. Jenly says:

Taye Diggs was way too young to play Rachels dad, his own child was born last year, so saying these two are too old is ridiculous!

37. Emma says:

Brian is part black. That picture just makes him look white. Google him and you’ll see he’s darker than that in real life.

38. Abby says:

They’re not her “adoptive parents.” Remember the sperm mixing story? One of them (obviously Goldblum) is her biological father.

• kitty says:

Not obiviously!!!

• jojo says:

Didn’t Shelby give her up because she couldn’t take care of her? I thought that she was
      adopted by the two men.

• Wordess says:

Shelby gave Rachel up for adoption because she was paid. She was a surrogate for two gay men. She had no interest in being a mother at that point in her life. The two gay dads bankrolled Shelby getting set up in NYC so she could pursue her show biz dreams in exchange for Rachel.

• Norma says:

I’m a little surprised at how many people have either forgotten or are ignoring that Rachel was born through surrogacy and wasn’t adopted. Of course, since this is Glee, I wouldn’t be surprised if there was a “shock” and Rachel isn’t either of the men’s daughter. Shelby had sex with another guy after the procedure and got pregnant from him but didn’t realize it was him and not the surrogate. Surprise! Not.

39. Espy says:

BLOODY BRILLIANT AND COMPLETELY UNEXPECTED! LOVE IT!

40. Cat says:

I’ll be watching cougar town

41. Annette says:

While I was pulling for Jesse L. Martin from day one, Brian Stokes Mitchell had better tear that ish UP! I’m so excited now, can’t wait!!

42. KSM says:

A little disappointed that they couldn’t get Taye Diggs, but this sounds pretty good!

43. Laura says:

Yes, Stokes is black and is amazing. If they waste him like they wasted Victor Garber I’ll be so pissed.

• lmm says:

Totally agree with them wasting Victor Garber! He didn’t even get to sing! I like this casting, but now that Taye Diggs is mentioned, I like that better – too bad he’s on Private Practice. Oh well, BSM is awesome. They need to bring back Victor and have him sing :)

44. Taylor says:

Yes! Jeff Goldblum as one of Rachel’s dads is the casting decision of the year! I’ve always been a huge fan of his. Can’t wait until his first episode!

45. gorram says:

I think this is inspired casting. can’t wait!

46. steevoh says:

Awesome. Freakin’ awesome. Spot on casting. Well done, GLEE!

47. Lily says:

This is… The greatest thing in the entire world. For once, Ryan Murphy did good.
    (Though I really would’ve loved Stanley Tucci)

48. Jake says:

OMG You people are either trying to be funny and failing or your extremely ignorant! clearly the actor is just light skinned!

49. Yeah, ok says:

The way this show is heading, the final episode will probably feature a storyline in which all of the remaining straight characters (which are dwindling with every passing episode) decide they’re gay, too.

50. Dee says:

A Tony Award Winner!

Jeff!

I approve! Great casting!