The Killing's Mireille Enos Talks 'Exceptional' Season 2: 'The Stakes Jump 500 Percent'

To those Killing viewers still raising a stink about the lack of resolution in the Season 1 finale, leading lady Mireille Enos offers this message: “If those fans come back [for Season 2], they’ll really enjoy it — if you loved [the journey] the first time around, why not spend more time in it?”

We spoke to Enos on the Golden Globes arrivals line Sunday and she previewed what’s to come during the “exceptional” second season of AMC’s whodunit (premiering April 1).

The Killing Season 3 Gets Help from Desperate Housewives Baddie

“It picks up the moment you left it behind, and from there the stakes just jump 500 percent,” the Globe nominee shared. “Everyone is back” for the thriller’s sophomore season, which will “absolutely, 100 percent” solve the murder of Rosie Larsen, Enos confirmed, adding, “The mystery just keeps unfolding and everything keeps getting more and more personal for all of these characters.”

For Enos’ Sarah Linden, that includes coming to grips with the notion that her partner, Stephen Holder, has seemingly tampered with Rosie’s murder investigation. “Sarah has a lot of trust issues anyway, so you can imagine her feeling some betrayal,” the actress mused, “and then it just continues from there.”

TAGS: , ,
GET MORE: Awards, Golden Globes, Interviews, Previews, Spoilers, Spring TV Preview

1. Matt says:

Looking forward to it a lot.

Didn’t really understand the criticism of the ending of the first season, I liked the fact that it ended with still a lot of mystery surrounding the murder; I never assumed the killer would be revealed in one season when the Danish version had more episodes to explain the story with more intricate lines of investigation.

Roll on April!

• George says:

Negative Criticism actually started in the middle of season. When people started to pick up on cop show cliches Veena Sud brought with her from her time on CBS Cold Case. If the Finale had revealed the Killer it would rewarded the viewers who had tired of the Red harings and very little character development.

Truly Feel sad that the Actor are trying to use star power to make The Killing Credible again. When we all know now that just running on what little credibility that AMC has left.

• Linderella says:

I totally agree. I didn’t start watching with an eye on the resolution…just the journey. While I was disappointed in Holder creating evidence, it only added to the drama. I am just glad to learn Joel Kinnamon will be back.

2. Megan says:

I agree with the previous comment. I’m looking forward to the premiere and this coming season. I thought the first season was excellent, and the finale was intriguing. Now I’m excited for April to get here!

3. Beth Sue says:

I had high hopes for this show after the first two episodes but I was disappointed when it devolved into a mess of contradictions and implausiblities. Now I don’t even care who killed Rosie and I’ve moved on to other shows.

• BRETT says:

Moved on to other shows, eh? That’s why you’re reading an article about a show you supposedly stopped watching after the second episode, right? Seriously… who do you think you’re kidding?

4. Jill says:

People have been utterly ridiculous in their reaction. Nobody ever promised resolution in the finale. It’s like some of these babies have never seen a serialized mystery before. It was brats like this that forced a resolution on Twin Peaks and ultimately destroyed the best show of a decade.

• DL says:

Many people were upset for other reasons, I’ll have you know. In particular, I was most aggravated by the bait-and-switch with Holder, who had quickly become my favorite character on the show.
      I thought the whole thing was done for shock value, because when Holder was convinced that Bennett Ahmed was the killer, he never, ever made the slightest foray into tampering with the case. However, as soon as the focus is on the congressman, suddenly he’s falsifying evidence at the behest of this mysterious guy he was meeting with even before they thought it was Richmond.
      So my question is why wouldn’t he have done the same when he was convinced it was Ahmed? Or was he just faking his conviction that Ahmed was the killer? I find the latter possibility to be both incredible likely and extremely annoying, because his behavior toward Ahmed indicated such utter certainty of the man’s guilt that I find it totally implausible he was faking it.
      You could also say that the mystery man was gunning for Richmond from the beginning and only instigated Holder’s bad behavior when the investigation switched to Richmond, but that would mean the guy anticipated Linden’s policework that led her to Richmond from day one of the investigation, because it didn’t seem like he provided any clues to Holder to switch the investigation onto Richmond.
      The whole thing makes no sense, and that’s what makes me mad! I’m completely fine with the fact that the murder wasn’t resolved in the first season.

• Sarah says:

DL, you have hit the nail on the head. This is EXACTLY what upset me about season 1. I’m just not sure how they can plausibly redeem Holder (the best character on the show) now, and I desperately would like him to be redeemed. What a letdown.

• Beth Sue says:

As you can see by the comments, most people don’t care about the lack of resolution. It’s the sloppy writing that turned them off.

5. RichCD says:

This show just wasn’t good enough for the whole season to justify another whole season to finally tell us who the killer was. In fact, it was often painful to watch. This is going to run at the same time as Game of Thrones? Sorry, but I won’t be back…

• This show was certainly good enough for the whole season to justify another season. I’m not sorry you’re not coming back. You just go on watching Game of Thrones. I’ll cope without you.

6. GinaRClark says:

“Why not come back for season two?” Because The Killing became contrived, manipulative, and wasted my interest and time. The actors are talented, bravo to them. I would rather have another season of Rubicon, a show with a slow burn and somewhere to go.

• Corinne says:

Amen, I really wish Rubicon had been given a second chance.

• What? says:

This makes no sense. The Killing was already in production when Rubicon was canceled.

• AladdinSane says:

The posters are commenting that they liked Rubicon, and are sad that it was cancelled and/or NOT given a 2nd season.
          Conversely, they do NOT like The Killing and are sad that it WAS picked up and/or given a 2nd season.
          I don’t believe the posters have claimed that Rubicon was cancelled so that The Killing could exist.

• Agreed says:

I really liked Rubicon too and thought it had a lot of potential.

Now reading that The Killing S2 will literally take until the final episode to solve Rosie’s murder is a bum deal. I think I will just wait for comments on the boards after the finale airs to decide if I want to devote any time to this season at all…

• Dwigt says:

They plan to introduce a second case that will run parallel with the first one during season two. And I’m almost ready to bet my arse that the second case won’t be solved at the end of the season, to leave a cliffhanger for an eventual third season, in which, of course, a third case would be created.
        For all the claims that the show is unconventional, Veena Sud is very predictable when you know her modus operandi.

• DL says:

Amen to wanting more Rubicon. That show was absolutely stellar.

• Tom says:

Yet you waste more time posting about it. Troll…….

If you think it’s so cliche and horrible, don’t watch it. It’s really that simple.

The fact you even made a post shows your entire post is BS. No one who thinks a network has lost credibility would take the time to write that nonsense.

Someone looking for attention would though….

7. Michael Sacal says:

If AMC had promoted the two seasons as a single season with a long hiatus, people would have complained about having to WAIT for a resolution instead of the lack of one.

I’m sure that the studio will eventually release both seasons on disc in a single package.

8. Liz1388 says:

I will be back to watch season 2. I have a lot of sympathy for writers juggling plot development for TV shows that could be cancelled at any time.

That said, I do think viewers should hold shows to high standards or what we end up with is more dreck like “Rizzoli & Isles” ;the pitiful demise of SVU; the tritely contrived, “Castle” or wastes of talent like, “The Firm”.

“Castle” actually ripped off plot elements of “The Killing” this week!

All things considered, many of you younger viewers have no way to compare the quantity of excellent drama shows available now. This is a golden age compared to most past TV history. I’m enjoying it while it lasts.

9. Emilymoreau says:

I personally happen to enjoy castle and Rizzoli & Isles. As for castle ripping off plot elements from the killing, get over it. Everything is coppied from something else these days. Nothing is orgional.

Now to bring up the subject of Holder’s possible tampering with evidence, again I personally suspected there was something off with him from the first episode. Also in regards to Richmond.. I had assumed he was the intital suspect and that Rosie’s teacher was a red herring as was all the others they investigated.

10. Cathy says:

When the first show of the Killing came on, my husband and I were hooked from the beginning. My husband is disabled and I haven’t seen him enjoy a show so much in a long time. He records it and watches each episode 2 and 3 times. He cannot wait until season 2 to begin. Every week he asks me when it is going to be on. We too like to watch Castle and Risole and Isles. While entertaining, those shows are very predictible. The Killing has incredible acting which is what makes it so good to watch. As for not solving the murder, the plot line over and over makes you realize it is only days that have passed. Living in the Northwest, you truly see how hard it can be during the days of rain. That too is depicted along with the story line. All of you are writing about this show 6 months after it is over, so that tells me that whatever negative ideas you have, you will be back to at least record parts of season 2. If not, doesn’t matter, we will be back to enjoy it!!

11. Pixie says:

Please folks, don’t take it so seriously.

12. A_Twisted_Mind says: