FX Boss Talks American Horror Story Season 2 and Getting Into Bed With Charlie Sheen

Get More: News, TCA Press Tour

FX president John Landgraf defended his decision to get into business with Charlie Sheen on the upcoming comedy Anger Management (premiering in June), telling reporters at the final day of the Television Critics Association’s winter press tour that he “believes in redemption.”

Landgraf conceded that he “walked into [Sheen's Anger Management] pitch as skeptical as you might imagine, [but] it was just a really excellent pitch for a comedy series.”

Other highlights from FX’s TCA day:

* Landgraf said Ryan Murphy is actively casting the second season of American Horror Story, adding that “two or three” Season 1 cast members “may be continuing next year, although they would be playing entirely new roles.”

* Regarding the status of the network’s live-action adaptation of Powers starring Jason Patric, Landgraf said he requested “fairly substantial rewrites that would require pretty substantial reshoots” to the pilot and is waiting to see how those tweaks turn out before pulling the trigger on a series order. He called the project “as difficult an adaptation as I ever worked on.”

Comments (22)

• Crap, I was really hoping FX would take Powers to series. Doesn’t sound good now.

Comment by Lee – January 15, 2012 09:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really want Jessica Lange and Evan Peters to still be a part of AHS next season!

Comment by Ana Muller – January 15, 2012 10:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yeah, as I read somewhere … “Jessica Lange and Dylan McDermott’s ass” need to return to ‘Horror Story’!!

Comment by Dwight Supremacy – January 15, 2012 10:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What ? A new season of AHS ? Please don’t tell me there gonna kill every character in this season too….

Comment by Evenbetter – January 15, 2012 11:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m sure that it will change every season like everything else.

Comment by Tarc – January 16, 2012 02:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am really looking forward to see Charlie Sheen new show, it seems so much smarter, wittier and compelling than Two and a Half Men.

Comment by Lucyinthesky – January 15, 2012 11:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Landgraf may regret the Charlie Sheen venture. When you lay down with dogs, you get up with fleas.

Comment by Toto – January 15, 2012 02:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • LOVE Charlie Sheen and really looking forward to this. When Sheen was asked to replace MJFox in Spin City, he ended up winning a Golden Globe for his performance. He was funny on Men which quality-wise at least, has been an unfunny mess since he’s been gone, and I’m routing for him on his new project with FX. I’m glad in an industry full of “come backs” FX who has said themselves, have gotten HUGE ratings off of Sheen’s “Men” episodes in syndication, will give his show a chance. Can’t wait to see what it’s all about, and hope it does well.

Comment by Amy – January 15, 2012 09:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • totally agree with you Amy, as for Toto maybe you should stop making some silly judgments and take care of yourself..

Comment by Robin – January 16, 2012 02:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I want to know what happens to the demon child. With all that buildup, it wouldn’t be fair to leave us hanging!

Comment by Meh – January 15, 2012 12:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • “two or three” Season 1 cast members “may be continuing next year, although they would be playing entirely new roles.”

That is just stupid. This is not the Mercury theater, which is what Murphy wants to replicate, reusing actors in different roles. The Mercury theatre, something Murphy has discussed in interviews, is the theatre Orson Welles ran, in which he reused his actors for different roles.

First Murphy wants to start from scratch with each season, thus eliminating attachments viewers make with characters, and now he wants to reuse his actors?! No one is going to be able to forget the character the actor played in season 1, thus creating a distraction for the audience.

Comment by DN – January 15, 2012 01:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Considering that we quite often watch the same actors do different roles all the time… I’m not sure you have a point. Murphy is reusing the actors that *fit the new roles* and still want to return/can fit the job in their schedule. There is nothing saying that some of the season one people that don’t appear in season two won’t appear in season three (or four). That’s the way the Mercury theater worked (and Tim Burton’s group).

Comment by Tarc – January 16, 2012 02:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ahs is one of the greatest tv shows at the mo up their with True Blood, Walking dead and Booth at the end. It’s been amazing from stuart to finish and I’ve loved all the twists and turns, I hope they keep Dennis o’ Hare in season 2 even though he has True Blood to work on as well also I hope they keep, Evan Peters & Jessica Launge. HBO & FX rock x

Comment by Rebecca Rowland – January 15, 2012 02:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I *really* hope Evan Peters will be in S2 of AHS. He was truly outstanding and I would be happy to see him as Tate (one of TV’s most fascinating and compelling characters in a long time, I really wish EP had gotten a Golden Globe nom) or as another character. What I love about AHS is its originality and that it often challenges the audience, I think using some of the same actors in different roles is another great step in that direction – can’t wait for S2!

Comment by Rhian – January 15, 2012 02:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It makes sense why Murphy would be starting fresh each season. It allows us as viewers to get caught up and frightened by a new horror story each season. I understand the average series allows us to root for and fall in love with characters as they develop season to season, but amh is its own style of show which is what makes it soo great. Looking forward for what’s to come!!

Comment by Stuart – January 15, 2012 02:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I can’t believe I invested my emotions with all the season 1 characters on AHS, only to see them evaporate. Shame. I’ll not watch season 2 and get emotionally tied up again.

Comment by vonryan – January 15, 2012 02:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • While I loved American Horror Story there was no real store. Family moves into a House. They all die. Costance has 4 children yet we only know 3 of them. Evan Peters kills the Gay guys for no reason. On Halloween the Ghosts can go off the property. Why? Really bad storytelling and writing. Yes I was entertained by the series but totally unfulfilled as there really was no story.

Comment by Phil – January 15, 2012 02:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m so sorry that you can’t mange to follow a storyline wihtout being spoon fed. You might want to work on that.

Comment by Tarc – January 16, 2012 02:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I can’t wait for Charlie Sheen’s new series! I think the problem with Men was as much Chuck Lorre’s fault as it was Charlie Sheens so I fail to see why people keep bashing Charlie for it. Men is awful without Charlie – he was the heart of the show.

Charlie Sheen is a very talented guy and I think his new show is going to be wonderful! FX was smart to sign on with Charlie – he’s going to make them a ton of money!

Comment by Kate – January 16, 2012 01:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hi
    Wow, Graet Site
    Very Good tv shows…
    Thanks & Regards

Comment by Detective in Chandigarh – January 16, 2012 09:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I tend not to drop many comments, but i did some searching and wound up here
    FX Boss Talks American Horror Story Season 2 and Getting
    Into Bed With Charlie Sheen – TVLine. And I actually do have
    a couple of questions for you if it’s allright. Is it only me or does it appear like some of the responses appear as if they are written by brain dead folks? :-P And, if you are posting at other online sites, I would like to keep up with everything fresh you have to post. Could you list of the complete urls of your shared sites like your Facebook page, twitter feed, or linkedin profile?

Comment by Bedbathandbeyond.Com – March 27, 2013 09:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Just desire to say your article is as astonishing.
    The clarity in your post is just cool and i could assume you are an
    expert on this subject. Well with your permission let me to grab your RSS feed to keep updated with forthcoming
    post. Thanks a million and please keep up the rewarding work.

Comment by Kelle – February 27, 2014 09:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post