AMC Announces Return Dates for The Killing and Mad Men, Supersizes The Walking Dead Season 3

Rosie Larsen’s killer — whoever you are — consider yourself officially on notice.

AMC has announced the Season 2 premiere date for The Killing, which will pick up the Larsen case as well as delve into a new mystery starting Sunday, April 1, at 8/7c with a two-hour opener. That pits the rain-drenched cop drama against the Season 2 premiere of HBO’s Game of Thrones (at 9 pm).

The Killing Season 3 Gets Help from Desperate Housewives Baddie

At the Television Critics Association’s winter press tour, AMC’s VP of programming Joel Stillerman confirmed reports that Rosie’s killer would be unmasked in the show’s Season 2 finale. He also confessed that the network didn’t sufficiently manage expectations with regard to extending the mystery beyond Season 1.

The cabler also officially confirmed that which Jon Hamm let slip during a recent podcast interview: Mad Men‘s long-delayed Season 5 will launch on Sunday, March 25 at 9 pm, with a two-hour premiere.

Blind Item: Who’s Walking Off The Walking Dead?

For Walking Dead fans, there was news to be had as well when AMC held court at Saturday’s Television Critics Association press tour: Season 3 of the acclaimed zombie drama, which was ordered back in October, will consist of 16 episodes (versus the current cycle’s 13). All together now: Mooooore braaaainssssss!

The Walking Dead resumes its sophomore run on Sunday, Feb. 12. AMC will marathon Season 1’s half-dozen episodes on Saturday, Feb. 11 starting at 8 pm, then encore all of Season 2 to date on Sunday starting at 1:30 pm, leading into the new installment.

1. Jake says:

Can’t Wait for all three shows to come back! so glad The Walking Dead is going to be 16 episodes!

2. Justin says:

After this season, The Walking Dead can’t even get through 6 good episodes. How in the world are they supposed to fill a 16 episode season?

• Eliz says:

Exactly. If the second half of season 2 is all standing around and talking, I’ll wait & rent season 3 on Netflix (which is less melodramatic then saying, “I’ll never watch it again!”).

3. John Grose says:

The Killing…meh. Ain’t watchin’. The others, however… – John

4. mike says:

Everyone hates on The Walking Dead and yet they all come back to watch the next episode.
    They had to follow the books to a certain extent. I think they did a good job. Imagine the show without Darryl, who isn’t even in the books. They’re doing what they can, and season 3 will hopefully/probably silence the haters, especially if they kill off Andrea :)

• Eliz says:

In season 1 The Walking Dead had that just getting started feel. Season 2 has been utterly boring. Action-wise, I did not expect Dawn of the Dead, but I didn’t expect to be talked to death. And you have to admit the Sophia story line was out of control. And the winter finale was totally predictable (-by many people – on this site and others). I get that, technically, they’re not that far into the series, but I will not tune in weekly to watch something that I find boring. I don’t promise not to rent it on Netflix, but “day of” viewership is what counts for advertisers.

5. mike says:

I can see where you’re coming from. You’re not one of the people I’m talking about that I see on these sites week after week bashing the show. I just don’t get why they still watch AND immediately post about it on the internet. I will admit I could do with some more action, but I still really enjoy the show. I also really enjoyed the midseason finale. As predictable as the whole Sophia storyline was, it was still very dramatic and directed very well in the finale, IMO.

6. JeniLee says:

Correct me if I am wrong, but didnt they say that Rosie’s killer would be revealed in early season 2 then a new mystery would start? Wtf! I dont wanna watch a whole other season to find out. May just have to read the recaps. So annoyed

7. td says:

That should be “whoever you are,” not “whomever.”

8. cherylcarol says:

i’m still really enjoying the killing. even though i’ve seen the original, i think it’s really well written and acted. don’t know what the hell the fuss was about with the last season finale – has nobody heard of an end of season cliffhanger before? people seemed to go mad because it wasn’t wrapped up in a neat little bow for them, which i think is more their problem than the show’s. i enjoyed s2 of the walking dead even more than s1 and not many people seem to agree with me on that, either.

9. June says:

Oh great. Now the Walking Dead will be even slower and more drawn-out. I think I’ll stop watching.

10. cyrusville says:

I cant wait that long. Nothing elre to watch on TV.

11. portiaslegacy says:

Why do they put Mad Men in the same time slot as The Good Wife? I thought it was bad when TGW shared a time slot with Parenthood! Hasn’t TGW’s time slot been bad enough this year?

I knd of miss Mad Men as a summer show. I liked having it on alone while most everything else was on hiatus.

12. V says:

Will everyone please stop hating on The Walking Dead and just think about it for a second?

This season has had less action than the first one, without a doubt. However, in order for this show to have any hope of surviving long term, we need to become invested in these characters. This is not a movie, and it cannot have as much zombie action as season 1 and continue to carry a plot at the same time. You have to draw a line. This show is not about the imminent danger, it is about the aftermath. It is about learning how to survive in a post-apocalyptic world. The world may have basically ended and zombies are all over the place, but the survivors are the interesting part.

Plus, if we include a whole bunch of action, we’re talking about them getting picked off one by one eventually. Which obviously would not work.

13. Nicole McMullin says:

I love The Killing and think it is a brilliant show, and I like AMC for busting out awesome series, glad there are at least 2 more seasons!

14. I beg your pardon? says:

“This is a show about staying alive (both physically and metaphorically) when the world has gone to hell, not survival tactics.”

Uh what? How do you stay alive with out survival tactics? Especially when the world goes to hell? That right there is what is wrong with The Walking Dead’s train of thought when it comes to writing it. That right there is why this show deserves the critical complaints it receives. The Walking Dead needs an ego check and it is getting one because they put them selves in that position. Before you talk about how great and deeply complicated your show is you might want to make sure that it actually is. Not the best show on television and highly over rated in fact it is highly stupid. Why I stopped watching it.

15. Harry says:

Yaaay! Da Killin’ iz comin’ back!

16. Ed says:

Yay! New season of Twin Peaks is on the way!

Wait, what? The Killing? That awful, unimaginative ripoff of Twin Peaks, without any of it’s comedy, mystery, or creativity?

Someone please kill this show.

• Jon Zo says:

If you don’t like nuanced drama about human emotion, read comic books like the other morons on this thread. You’re probably the kind of idiot who wouldn’t be able to sit still for The Wire either.

17. Lourdes says:

Love the walking dead. Season 2 amazing. But they need to start answering questions like why is dead people in their cars if they have been kill by walkers why are they not walkers.Maybe immune? Or why this happen. The whispering? Just a few answers will be great

18. Pam says:

Pits them against each other? NOT for anyone with a DVR. Sorry to all those living in the dark ages. Haha Game Of Thrones pun :)

Seriously, AMC rocks.

19. Scott Davis says:

I watched the season 2 finally of the Walking Dead on Sun the 18th. Will AMC show these episodes again before season 3.

20. Ed says:

Season 2 has been some of the best television I’ve ever seen. Walking Dead is outstanding. I’m so sick of people whining and crying that it isn’t exactly like the comic. Thank God it’s not. Instead we actually have a reason to watch it, instead of a dramatization of the exact same story we’ve already read. Remember how much people complained about how boring The Watchmen was because it followed the comic shot by shot? Remember how boring the remake of Psycho was? Why would anyone want that for The Walking Dead?

Take for example The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy. Every iteration, be it the novel, the radio show, the BBC show, or the movie, has been different. Douglas Adams wanted it that way and encouraged people to make it that way. It gives the audience a reason to enjoy the story in another medium if the story is slightly different.

AMC has done an amazing job with the show so far. When people complain about the show being boring I just feel bad for them. It reminds me of people who claim they “can’t” watch a black and white movie. Do these people have trouble reading books without pictures, too?

21. wh says:

The Killing and The Walking Dead BOTH ROCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!