ABC Shelves Work It After Two Airings; Good News for Cougar Town Fans?

ABC has dressed down Work It, shelving the cross-dressing comedy after just two airings.

After premiering to 6.1 million total viewers and a 2.0 rating, Work It this week plunged 20 percent. For the time being, repeats of Last Man Standing will fill the Tuesdays-at-8:30 time period, though the rampant speculation is that ABC will opt to at long last uncork Cougar Town‘s Season 3 to claim the vacancy, after it has some time to properly promote the series’ return.

“The reality is Cougar Town is having one of its best [seasons],” ABC president Paul Lee said earlier this week about the sitcom’s already produced, ready-to-air inventory. (They’re currently shooting the last of this season’s 15-episode order.) “We haven’t yet landed on where it’s going to go, but…. We’re going to give it a good launching pad.”

Exclusive: Cougar Town To Conclude Season 3 With a [MAJOR SPOILER ALERT]

While not directly bidding on the Tuesday vacancy, Cougar Town co-creator Bill Lawrence responded to the news on Twitter Friday night, saying, “Hoping CT’s premiere date will be announced [next week]. Fingers crossed.” Added co-creator Kevin Biegel, “You should all hear very soon about Cougar Town‘s return date. Everyone gets a kiss, a hug and a handshake for waiting patiently.”

Even if the Cul-de-Sac Crew does get the good word on a return date/time slot — Tuesdays-at-8:30 or not — Lawrence said that a series of privately financed, publicity-churning fan gatherings being held at bars in select cities will continue on. “Once we have premiere date: more free/open bar events to be announced,” he tweeted. “Why not?”

Comments (56)

• Mobilize the Larmy. Get your penny cans out of storage. It’s about to go down.

Comment by Sg.Grant – January 14, 2012 07:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Hell to the YES! Penny Cans at the ready! About damn time, though I don’t think it’s a good companion to LMS. *Sigh*

Comment by Brock – January 14, 2012 02:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Please get Cougar Town back on…We need our show back on air!!!! The best line up is Cougar Town Season 1, then Cougar Town Season 2, and Cougar Town Season 3 and at least one more season 4 please.
      Get ready for in Home Penny Cans!!! parties & wine!!

Comment by Debbie – January 16, 2012 03:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Finally! Cougar Town return was LONG overdue.

Comment by raksha – January 14, 2012 07:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yes please!!! Although 8:30 seems a little early for CT, I will just be glad to have it back. I don’t watch anything at that time, so for me, 8:30 is the perfect time for CT. I’ll have a good laugh and then follow it up with Ringer at 9.

Comment by Snapy – January 14, 2012 07:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The more I think about this, the more sense it makes to pair Last Man Standing with The Middle on Tuesdays, and pair Cougar Town with Happy Endings. Bump Suburgatory and Modern Family up 30 minutes on Wednesday nights.

Though I wouldn’t be opposed to seeing something like Last Man Standing, The Middle, Suburgatory, Modern Family, Cougar Town, and Happy endings all on Wednesday night in that order. Revenge is great but would do just as well on Tuesday nights.

Comment by Sg.Grant – January 14, 2012 07:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I like you’re thinking. Cougar Town is a much better match on Wednesday that Tuesday. Hopefully it happens but at this point I don’t care where CT goes as long as it’s here. ABC, do the right thing and I’ll tip my imaginary hat to you!

Comment by Ari – January 14, 2012 09:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Oops “I like your thinking” I was delirious with joy over this news so all of my grammar lessons went out the window.

Comment by Ari – January 14, 2012 09:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I’m ready for a change. Cougar Town is challenging cancellation as is, so putting it back where it can be compared to the better-performing Wednesday shows is scary. Maybe Tuesday will get them more eyes, though following the horrendously unfunny Tim Allen thing doesn’t bode well. People who find that simplistic crap funny are not going to be wildly entertained by something clever.

Comment by KevyB – January 15, 2012 04:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree with this thinking! Totally. Love a Wednesday comedy block.

Comment by Brock Germain – January 14, 2012 02:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Awesome News!!!! So excited!!!! PENNY CAN!!!!

Comment by mandy – January 14, 2012 07:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • YES!!!!!! yes!!!!! Two-and-done!!!! Yes!!!!

COUGAR TOWN!

Comment by Jessica – January 14, 2012 07:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Also, if I could “like” this article about 99 more times, I would. Thankfully, after the pilot, I changed my cancellation prediction from three-and-done to two-and-done.
      Also good news: I have calmed down enough from my initial excitement to be able to form complete sentences again! Wooo!

Comment by Jessica – January 14, 2012 07:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t care in which timeslot CT is aired as long as it’s aired. Maybe we’ll get to see a brand new episode of CT in Februay already. :)

Comment by jan – January 14, 2012 07:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Good riddance. No one wants to see 2 guys who dress like girls to get jobs.

Comment by Tay – January 14, 2012 07:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Maybe instead of putting crap on like this show was they should have saved Better with You!! Great acors and fun to watch

Comment by Boiler – January 14, 2012 07:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • hahahahhahaha. you’re funny.

Comment by gonzo – January 14, 2012 08:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Better With You had an excellent cast, but the show just never found its footing really. It was ok, but not great by any means.

Comment by Andrew – January 14, 2012 02:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Couldn’t be happier!! We have missed you cul-de-sac crew! Cannot wait to finally see Cougar Town promos and NEW Cougar Town episodes on ABC!

Comment by JJ – January 14, 2012 07:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Are they still changing the name?

Comment by Joshua – January 14, 2012 08:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • need some serious PENNY CAN back in my life!!!

Comment by rebecca – January 14, 2012 08:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • So this summer at my family reunion we totally played Penny Can and it was the most awesome reunion ever. My grandfather said and I quote directly because I will never forget it, “What kind of hillbilly game is this?!” I’m hoping my sisters and I recruited some new Cougar Town fans that day. Lol!

Comment by Dash – January 14, 2012 09:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • YES!!! So happy there’s a good chance of Cougar Town coming back soon.
    I miss the Cul-de-Sac Crew!

Comment by Eliza – January 14, 2012 08:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Did Jennifer Morrison and Amaury Nolasco just break up too?
    I would say not a good time for Nolasco! Sucks if you’re on ABC’s worst show and your EX is on the BEST!

Comment by TC – January 14, 2012 09:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I knew “Work it” was a loser when i saw the promos .. YES, bring back Cougar Town! It’s great laughs and I love all the characters!

Comment by nikki – January 14, 2012 09:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ll be interested to see the ratings for Cougar Town’s return.

Comment by TinCan – January 14, 2012 10:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I won’t watch anything on ABC now one life to live is gone

Comment by Gl – January 14, 2012 10:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • really get over it already

Comment by haha – January 14, 2012 06:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t care whereit ends up on the schedule just as long as it’s back on!! It would help fill the void left by Community.

Comment by Diana – January 14, 2012 10:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yeah! I can’t wait for Penny Can. Don’t care when it’s on as long as it back. Didn’t like Work it the 1st time it was on years ago as “Bosom Buddies”.

Comment by Jaye – January 14, 2012 10:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yay! Hope this means good news for Cougatown, though I wouldn’t be surprised if ABC decides to give Apt 23 a go in the spot, too. We shall see…

Comment by John – January 14, 2012 11:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Im from London and I have Virgin Media… I don’t have ABC D: will it be on sky living again?

Comment by JaseFace – January 14, 2012 11:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hopefully, they launch it February 7th, making it a night of premieres for ABC along with “The River.” They have given themselves about 3 weeks advance on that date which seems a decent time to advertise, especially since they will most likely promote it prominently during ABC’s big comedy Wednesday schedule.

Comment by Buddy – January 14, 2012 12:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I totally agree about having all those wonderful shows be on Wednesday night and move revenge to Tuesday or Thursday.

Comment by Lyndsay – January 14, 2012 12:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Well, apparently this show was doomed from the start. Don’t even know why ABC bothered when they didn’t even market it. Wish shows were given a few episode chance, for goodness sakes.
    Will they be burning off any episodes of this, or no?

Comment by Danielle H – January 14, 2012 12:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Did Peter Scolari sue, or something? Hard to believe such an original, fresh idea was canned so quickly.

Comment by Pappy – January 14, 2012 01:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I second that! I don’t think any man could quite replace Tom Hanks in a skirt.
      The first time I saw a commercial for this program, I wondered if they thought all of us who were around for Boosom Buddies simply forgot?
      Really? Really? No!

Comment by Kate – January 14, 2012 08:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Thank god, Work It was such an awful show.

Comment by Zoe – January 14, 2012 01:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wow, I was WAY off. I had “Work It” being canceled after 4 episodes in my office pool. I suck.

Comment by JC – January 14, 2012 02:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I know, right? My money was on three episodes. Damn.

Comment by Erin – January 14, 2012 04:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Im glad is gone, for good..sorry for Amaury, hope he can make better show choices in the future.

Comment by tahina – January 14, 2012 04:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • how is it news that ABC is shelving one terrible show that’s not funny to show a different terrible show that’s not funny?

Comment by matt – January 14, 2012 05:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Because TV Line can’t stop talking about every tiny little detail about this show. Get ready for more.

Comment by Jess – January 14, 2012 08:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I just “Penny Can”ed in a high pitched bobby voice in my head. I cannot wait for the return of Cougar Town. I have seen every episode more times than any one person should.

Comment by Jessica – January 14, 2012 05:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I didn’t think Bosom Buddies 2.0 was going to do well. Who was even it it? Don’t think either will be the next Tom Hanks.

Comment by Jamiahsh – January 14, 2012 05:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yo you guys are HILARIOUS

Comment by Rick – January 14, 2012 08:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I loooove Cougar Town! I am a cougar!

Comment by angela – January 14, 2012 09:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • remember guys, ABC might not put Cougar Town yet considering they still have apartment 23 in their stock. They might put Apartment 23 on instead of Cougar Town.

Comment by hagiz – January 14, 2012 10:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Im Gay! All I have to say is Thank Goodness that Stupid Show is off the Air!
    Bring On Cougar Town!

Comment by Peter – January 15, 2012 07:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • great news! Now we need to spread the word & say that Cougar Town is not about cougars & it’s a hilarious ensemble show! Tell your friends to watch it, show them th dvds ect, need more people to watch for good ratings & after that, a season 4

Comment by cul de sac crew – January 15, 2012 09:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I just read the interview. I hope he’s not serious about Laurie and Travis hooking up by the end of the season. That’s just wrong. It was creepy enough when Laurie made a pass at Travis in Hawaii in order to convince him to go back, but an actual hookup? ICK. Even an almost hookup would be nasty. This isn’t the Lifetime Movie of the Week, it’s the funniest show on TV and that scenario just isn’t funny.

My suggestion on the name change – edit it every season. Now, bring back “COUGAR TOWN: FRIENDS WITH BEVERAGES”

Comment by xanana – January 15, 2012 02:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • ABC should have treated this show better. They certainly shouldn’t have cut the episode order down. It’s about time they bring it back.

Comment by Chad – January 15, 2012 03:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • PENNY CAAAAAN!!! *exits to go pound grape*

Comment by the girl – January 15, 2012 09:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m surprised it made it to two eps. It looked grade A stupid from the commercials alone. Maybe they should have watched a few episodes of Bosom Buddies, almost the same premise but not as badly written or played!

Comment by Nonnaru – January 15, 2012 10:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Work It was a really superb show, and opened up a lot of conversation topics. EXTREMELY disappointed to see it dropped, because I really loved the show!!!

Comment by Jennifer M – May 9, 2012 08:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post