Exclusive

Exclusive: The Vampire Diaries Casts Smallville Alum Cassidy Freeman In 'Devilish' Role

The Vampire Diaries has cast a face very familiar to The CW viewers — Cassidy Freeman (aka Smallville‘s Tess Mercer) — in a mysterious and delicious-sounding new role, TVLine has learned exclusively.

In the 16th episode of TVD‘s Season 3, Freeman will play Sage, someone who is described as “sexy and fearless, with a devilish smile.” (You don’t say….)

Appearing in flashbacks circa 1912, Sage’s allure is felt by the Salvatore brothers as well as by the Original family. The role is potentially recurring.

Vampire Diaries Stars Get Sexy (Duh!) In Fangtastic New Photo Gallery

Earlier this TV season, Freeman guested on the CSI: NY opener and recurred on NBC’s The Playboy Club. Coming up, she is a cast member of the new A&E drama Longmire, which also stars Robert Taylor (The Matrix) and Katee Sackhoff (Battlestar Galactica) and is set to debut this summer.

What do you say, Vampire Diaries fans, about this rather perfect piece of casting? Curious to see how Freeman’s character shakes things up, even in flashbacks?

1. Tucker says:

Yay, Cassidy!

Don’t watch ‘TVD’ but I’m happy to see her get more work.

2. Nicole says:

I’ve never seen any of those shows you just listed for her but she better f**king stay away from the Salvatore brothers….otherwise the whole fandom will burn her. They’re Elena’s boys and only hers!

3. Rebeca says:

After last night’s episode I tweeted that Cassidy should be on TVD! So, happy it came true!!!

Let’s see what else I can make happen! :P

4. Mary says:

Oh crap. I was just about to stop watching this crap show. Now, I have to watch it for Cassidy.

Can Erica Durance and Cassidy Freeman PLEASE be on a show together? That’s all I really want. I could die happy.

5. Snap says:

Dangit, they’ve discovered my weakness. I’ve been DONE with this show for a good while now, but Cassidy is enough to bring me back. I adore her. Well played, TVD. You win this round.

6. Skye says:

Cassidy is an amazing actress and if her character interacts with the Salvatores.. that’s her character’s business. Go Cass baby!

7. Her eyes are quite stunning

• kim says:

I agree that her eyes do look very pretty in the photo. It’s a pity she always managed to look so bug-eyed on Smallville.

8. darklady65 says:

crap why did it have to be this awful show -_- why couldn’t it have been Grimm or True Blood or Walking Dead anything but this crap of a show -_- … i tried it but nope just couldn’t handle it it sucked -_- … damn i’m going to have to make an exception & just watch that episode she’ll be in & it’s only cause i support her … oh well still happy that she has been getting roles on this tv shows & looking forward to watching Longmire this summer =]

• jen says:

hahahhahahahaha you using grimm and true blood as your reference for ‘good shows’ invalidates your entire comment.

• tarc says:

Interesting. Though I like all the shows you mention, I like TVD better than walking Dead (just OK) or Grimm (adequate, improving, and promising). TVD has been somehwat repetitive this year; I’d like to see them clean up the storyline a bit so it moves forward a little faster. The brough in Klaus, supposedly the biggest bag, and not only don’t I particularly like the actor, Klaus is not particulary bad, smart, or interesting. (He’s not at all much of a big bad, more like two or three tiers down from a real Big Bad.)

• Ceecile says:

I agree with what you said about TVD this season. For me it would take getting rid of Elena for the show to be watchable again.

• Tarc says:

I think Dobrev does a great job on the show – it’s not Elena, but the fact that she’s been ‘stuck’ in the plotline for a while (tellingly, the character actually drectly discussed just that this past week on the show).

9. Sasha says:

I hate Vampire Diaries with a passion (so many thing are wrong with it but I’m going off tangent here)… but I will tune in to see Ms. Freeman. Sadly I think the universe hates me lol. It’s okay, I’ll watch for the pretty!

10. Kyle says:

I don’t get anyone who hates on this show or doesn’t watch. Each and EVERY week it proves to be the most daring and well written and acted shows on tv right now. It is far to underrated in relation to the other shows on other networks!

• TVD says:

They just go by the title, I bet people dissing it have never watched an episode in its entirely before

• Sam says:

Actually they go by the truth. Not sure what people find fascinating about this show…however it is about to improve with Ms. Freeman landing a role.

• Alice says:

I’ve tried watching this show a couple of times.. even started on season 2 because I heard it was better than season 1. And I still had to give up. The Elena character is boring imo, but I did like Katherine. I would love to watch the show, if it was set pre-Elena.

• Brooke says:

Elena is the weak link, although as you noted, the actress does an excellent job with Katherine. Elena reminds me a bit of Ted from HIMYM – they’re the main characters, but the rest of the cast is so much more interesting.

• Carrie says:

I can tell you why I, personally, can’t stand the show. I’m not trying to insult anyone, this is just how I feel and why I stopped watching a while back. The lead actress is bland and not very good, I think that Damon is very creepy and I don’t get why people want the two characters together, since he’s basically a serial killer. I think the show is way too dramatic and violent and, at times, way too sexual. This is essentially a show about kids. I believe this is the 3rd season and Elena has already lost her adoptive parents, her biological parents and the aunt who was her guardian. The teenagers on this show seem to have no parental guidance at all and the amount of times someone has been killed and then come back to life is ridiculous. I just found myself constantly rolling my eyes at the show and though it is targeted at teen girls, I would never allow my daughter to watch it, with the amount of disturbing violence, sex and even the portrayal of teenagers openly drinking and doing drugs in front of so-called adults in one of the season’s earlier episodes. I feel that the show is all about twists and shocking viewers, but there aren’t any real values and it doesn’t have a lot of heart. I clicked on this article because I’m a fan of Cassidy Freeman, but I don’t know if her appearance is reason enough for me to watch this show again.

• tarc says:

Yup, TVD is definitely now a show for pre-teens or puritanical prudes. That probably should have been obvious from the inclusion of ‘vampire’ in the title. Also, I’m sure your daughter watches TVD (or shows like it) regardless if you like it or not, and is exposed to plenty of all those things you don’t like because *that’s what kids do* in the real world. You sound like one of those insane ‘parenting’ group people that everyone laughs about, because they clearly have no idea at all about parenting in the real world.

11. Liz says:

I loved her on Smallville and cried when Tess died and I also love TVD, so I am happy to be seeing her on another show I watch.

12. Khorrie says:

Just when I thought I’d never have to watch TVD ever. *sigh*

13. Danielle H says:

Holy crap Batman! So many commenters hating on TVD. Never usually hear that on here. Not only hatin’, but passionate hate. Get lost. It’s the only show I look forward too each week because of it’s pacing, cast, and stories.

14. Monica242 says:

TVD is awesome, y’all stay pressed.

Happy to see Cassidy on the show, she’s wonderful. One of the only good things about the awful Smallville.

15. Erica says:

Seriously TVD AWESOME..Um plot lines that are paper thin and actors and actresses who can barely spit out their lines…PLEASE give me a break.

16. Ellen says:

Tom and Cassidy have a great Chemistry together and a strong sexual tension!

• Valeria says:

What this had to do with this article, please people focus and stop with the weird Real Person stuff is getting real creepy. Grow up already smallville fandom

17. Grant says:

What does this have anything to do with the show… And I watched smallville it sucks and sorry these two don’t have chemistry. So all you smallville fans STFU cuz we don’t care if you hate the vampire diaries.

• Ryan says:

I’m a fan of Smallville, but i love TVD too. season 3 is kinda weak though so far. Mikael should have stayed around longer.

18. Jake says:

YES! I love The Vampire Diaries! this is great casting!

19. ChrisGa says:

This is great news; loved Cassidy on Smallville and she’s a peach of an actress. Thumbs up to TVD’s casting department.

20. em says:

Awesome news! Tess was quite possibly my favorite character on Smallville for those few seasons. I hope they do make it recurring.

21. Sabrina says:

1st of all I’m not sure what vampire show some of you are watching when you say there is too much sex? Seriously. TVD has hardly any sex at all. As far as letting your kids watch it, that is totally your preference as a parent, I get that. My 11 yr old twin girls watch it, and they love it. They understand that it’s just TV and they are actors and they get that, it’s called
    Communication. We loved Smallville too and we will open our arms for her just like we did for Torrey, Paul’s wife when she joined the show. TVD ROCKS!!

22. Alyssa says:

Can’t beleive all the hate for this show, but if Cassidy will bring some of you to watch it then all the better. Maybe when you actually watch it it’ll change your mind. I was never big on vampire stories (esp. Twilight), but this show changed my mind. I’m an avid TV watcher and right now it’s the only show I can’t miss each week.

23. JT says:

Yes! This is such awesome news. This actress is gorgeous and very talented. Phenomenal casting TVD! Everyone is so good looking on the show, but she will be by far be the most gorgeous female on the show if upped to recurring would be very nice. What helps is that she has an amazing electric presence about her and I have no doubt she would rock any scene with either the originals or the Salvatores. About time TVD gets a powerhouse of a female onto this show.

24. shann says:

love this!

25. Jericho227 says:

to everyone hating on the show, especially Carrie. It is “Staged Entertainment”, granted we have our opinions. Most of us, I hope, are fully aware that there are many out there who don’t like TVD, but expressing ur hatred and then trying to prove why. We get it, u don’t like it, nuff said. I know that this will seem out of left field, but WWE, which has tons more haters than TVD, btw is just as bad, especially when my generation was in High School when they had all that sex and so on. It is a show, u don’t like it, change the frikking channel, instead of doing what we are all doing(myself included), stopping to H.S.-esque behavior, no offense, but it is the truth

26. Caroline says:

Well why do we need her? Salvatores are Elena’s!!!!Klaus is Caroline’s!!! The end of the story!!!

• kim says:

Smallville writers are now involved. They sure loved their love triangles, whether they made sense or not.

• Ryan says:

LMAO. nice one. And sorry to say but Elena is going to have to choose one bro. Else she’d be a slut. And I dont want her to be. Personally, I want to see Stefan have a relationship with someone else

27. kim says:

I bet that ex-Smallville writer Al Septien, who now writes for TVD, will be involved in Cassidy Freeman’s episode. It was pretty evident that CF was his favorite actress to write for on the show. I fully expect CF will be appearing on The Secret Circle too if Kelly Souders has her way (that’s if it doesn’t get canceled). Freeman was so obviously KS’ fave too.

28. Ahmed says:

This sounds so good!! loved her in Smallville and she will be perfect as a vampire!!!! Such a great actress.
    And to all of the hate that TVD gets I get it because I didn’t either give it a chance and when I finally began watching it from the BEGINING I couldn’t stop watching it because of the story and how much better the next episode gets everytime. Give THE SHOW A CHANCE PEOPLE!!

29. Emily says:

Hmm, sounds interesting. I honestly do think TVD is a little ridiculous, I’m 19 and I party but all the s**t the kids do on TVD, with all the adults being completely involved and fine with it…I find myself saying “Really?” quite often. However, it is entertaining for the most part so I occasionally tune in.

30. Ryan says:

YESSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!

31. Katy says:

I seem toe be in the minority, but I’m a huge tvd fan, as well as a huge small ills fan, but I hated. Cassidy freeman, I hated teas and I could never understand what the point of her character was, she brought sweet FA to smallville and is a terrible actress IMO. I will not be looking forward to her ep and will pray that she does not become recurring!

32. Katy says:

Argh sorry on iPad and auto correct is on, srry bout the ridiculous mistakes!

33. Desiree Avila says:

This was my idea and I wanted it be filled by a younger actress. And she could be the originals friend and then the salvatore brother’s too and then some how get in the middle of their present day struggles. I sent a message to someone who knew Julie the producer and then never got a response. They stole my idea.

34. Bee says:

lol…you people are crazy if u dnt like TVD. I just absolutely Love the show. Its one of the best shows ever along with Nikita. The show rocks as it is Dnt think cassidy would make any difference, i simply cnt stop watchin and im lookin foward to all the episodes that follows. Keep up the good work!

35. Amanda says:

I loved her character on Smallville, but if you already hate the show bringing in an actor you like isn’t going to change that. Which makes watching the show just for her a waste of your time. I personally enjoy the show and can’t wait to see what twists her character can add.

36. Denise says:

Loved Smallville, Love TVD. Both are great escapes. I enjoy the interplay of the characters and look forward to TVD every week. CF will be a great addition. Can’t wait!

37. Aimee says:

not happy with this at all…not that I dont LOVE her. I am a huge Smallville fan…and I LOVE TVD, the show and the books. Sage is in the books…and HE is a GUY. I know that the show doesnt go with the books at all…but come on! couldnt find a new name?

38. BHM1304 says:

Maybe I’ll check this show out now. Her best scene ever on “Smallville” was the bachelor/bachelorette party episode when she had the duet with Allesandro Juliani’s Dr. Emil dressed as Elvis and they sang “How Do We Do?” That scene will turn any potential hater and you can still find it on You Tube. Freeman is beautiful and really talented. If “Playboy Club” hadn’t been canceled the day after her first appearance she would have been the most interesting character on the show.

39. Mary says:

So excited!
    When I started to watch this show,after Smallville ended, I thought what a great fit Cassidy would be for this show;she has the looks. And she is a great actress. I could not see her as any of the main female characters however, so when I tried to fit her in I thought (with all the ridiculous changes they’ve made) she could play a FEMALE version of Sage. So it goes without saying that I find this to be really great casting! Cassidy is the best tv actress they could have found to play a female version of Sage. She is going to make a great addition to this show and a great Sage!

That being said.(to go along with the other conversations on here)
    I didn’t watch the show until Smallville ended(even being a huge fan of the books)just cause I had nothing else to watch. They did a GREAT job casting Damon[even though he has blue eyes instead of black ;) ]! Ian portrays him perfectly and he is a great actor(on this show) But then they just did a complete 180 with the other characters. You just have to accept it but then Nina is HORRIBLE. She made the character of Elena very bland and she is a bad actress.
    The show is everywhere and it is so dependent on Klaus that once they finally defeat him the show won’t last another season(so I guess Klaus will be on for as long as the show lasts).
    [-Unless this is what they plan, to always have Klaus and the whole show be about trying to get rid of him and not so much about Stefan-Elena-Damon.]
    There was a short amount of time when the show was ok but the writers need to get a steady storyline. And hopefully with the addition of Cassidy(and another character from the book) it will get better.Even though the opposite has seemed to unfold with the addition of Meredith as “Dr. Fell”.
    Cause right now it seems as though they make things up as they go along;watching the show has become the same as watching a soap opera. Though I am sure there are some that are more enticing than what this show as quickly become.
    BUT :D Damon is perfect and Cassidy will be a perfect(female) Sage!
    So heres hoping that this show gets better, cause I need something to watch. lol