One Life to Live Vet Joins Bold and the Beautiful

That was fast. Just hours ago, One Life to Live fans bid a tearful farewell to longtime Llanview resident Nora “Red” Buchanan. And now, on the heels of the ABC soap’s swan song, CBS has announced that her portrayer, Hillary B. Smith, has joined the cast of The Bold and the Beautiful.

“Hillary is a formidable actress with a powerful screen presence,” executive producer Bradley P. Bell said in a statement Friday. “I look forward to collaborating on this new and dynamic character with her on The Bold and the Beautiful.”

Soaps Shocker! OLTL‘s Blair, Todd, John and Starr All Head to General Hospital

The Daytime Emmy-winner will make her first appearance in early March playing Dr. Stacy, a psychiatrist who specializes in sex therapy. No word yet which Bold character(s) she’ll be treating, but feel free to hit the comments with your guesses.

Smith — who played Bo Buchanan’s better half on OLTL from 1992 to 2012 —  first hinted at her new gig on Friday, tweeting, “There will be other projects. I have one at the end of the month. It will be announced shortly….. Not ABC.”

TAGS: , , ,
GET MORE: Casting News, Daytime TV

1. Ex GH Fan (April 1963-July 2011) says:

B&B is one of the worst American TV soap operas to ever air. It’s been on the air since 1987 and it has never had a “great” year. The cast has never been stellar, and the stories under William J. Bell were uninspiring (Y&R clone). With Bradley Bell as Head Writer, the ideas and their execution have been downright laughable. Is B&B a daytime drama or a daytime comedy? I guess a job is a job in today’s entertainment industry. HBS should have quit the overrated OLTL in 2007.

• betty stevenson says:

This soap really is going nowhere. They are always switching partners within families. Forresters are the worst. But, Ridge,Taylor and Brooke are the worst. Now the younger generation is doing the same and is so redundant!!!Get some new writers

2. Tani says:

BB may not be my fave soap right now but you can’t say that it has always been bad.Susan Flannary is one of the best actresses in daytime the recfent storylines involving her illness,the homeless and others have some of the best in daytime and the show won the best soap 2 or 3 years in a row.The better talent they have on show like her and hillary b smith and less bad actors like ron moss who plays ridge the better the show will be.

3. Winnie says:

I think B&B does camp, drama, boardroom, and glamour well at times, and aren’t afraid of poking fun at themselves. Some of the stuff is “eye-rollingly” bad (see The Soup), but some things, from the music to the emotional scenes, really stay with me in a good way. There are bad actors (hint: not Susan Flannery), scenes I can count on for a bathroom break/fast forward finger fatigue, and days/weeks where I’m unimpressed, but there’s not one soap I’ve seen that I couldn’t say the same. I also appreciate that Heather Tom and Don Diamont are being utilized the way they are, and hope that continues.

As far as the character(s) who need sex therapy, I’m going to say Brooke’s daughter, Hope in conjunction with a relationship with Liam.

4. Bec says:

At this point I’m grateful to see any of my daytime favs working. It’s great news for HBS. Now if only I could have Crystal Chappell back on my TV screen.

5. dee says:

One thing that annoys me that work in the L.A fashion scene & not one gay character? Unless you count closet case Thomas.

6. Cubfnatic says:

Congrats to Hillary! I too wish I could have Crystal Chappell back on my screen.

7. Cubfnatic says:

Congrats to Hillary! I too wish I could have Crystal Chappell back on tv. I hope that happens soon!

8. april-ann says:

No, no, no!! (hands covering ears). David’s StepNora just HAS to be in Llanview, as well as all the others. I have yet to accept that OLTL has ended. I know, I know, serious denial. But, all good wishes to you on BB, Red.

9. Rocco's Mom says:

This is great news. Yes, B&B is not the “best” soap on-air (I know, cuz I watch them ALL), but the Bells are committed to their shows and have my full support. I will continue to watch B&B, Y&R, Days and GH every single day, even if storylines don’t always please me – that’s what we need to do as soap fans to protect the genre. Yes, bring over StepNora, and anyone else you can nab, because their brokenhearted fans will follow.

10. karen w says:

Put one life to live back on And cancel general hospital!!!!

11. Jamie says:

Congrats to Hillary. Have not watched OLTL on a regular basis for years but when I do catch it and she is on, it always makes me pause and watch. Great actress and I wish her well.The character of Nora was well written and she played it so well.RIP OLTL.

12. DG says:

I never really got into the soaps on other stations besides abc but I loved and miss OLTL so I’m happy for HBS.

13. CJ says:

B & B is my favorite soap and Susan Flannery is THE BEST ACTRESS. There’s no one else on any soap that is of her caliber. If Brad Bell has half a brain, he should clean house by getting rid of the horrible actors he has now such as Ronn Moss (the absolute worst actor in daytime), Katherine Kelly Lang, Jennifer Garies, Brandon Beemer, Kimberly Matula, Scott Clifton,Zach Conroy,etc. He should also get rid of the Logans, bring back the entire Forrester Clan to include Lesli Kay and Winsor Harmon (good solid actors) and bring in a new family by taking the better actors from OLTL and AMC and creating new storylines…

14. Marilyn Ross says:

I love to hate the B&B. Get frustrated sometimes but can’t not watch it. I will certainly miss Susan but look forward to a new story line. MJR