Exclusive

Hart of Dixie Exclusive: Smallville's Justin Hartley Cast as Love Interest For [Spoiler Alert]

Smallville‘s Justin Hartley is headed back to The CW fold with a plum gig on Hart of Dixie, sources confirm to TVLine exclusively.

The once (and future?) Green Arrow has targeted the role of Jesse, a charming Southerner and war hero who becomes a potential love interest for Rachel Bilson’s Zoe.

Hartley will turn up on Dixie this spring.

In the meantime, you can catch the actor in the Jan. 23 episode of Castle playing the boyfriend of a Kim Kardashian-like reality-TV starlet who is famous just for being famous.

TAGS: , ,
GET MORE: Casting News, Exclusive, News, Scoop

1. Hartley Fan says:

Glad to see Justin back on the screen and Hart of Dixie will be an excellent place to see him!

2. Ashley says:

But what about Wade! I mean, I’d be more interested in a triangle with him, Zoe and Wade, instead of George, and I’ll be happy to see Justin on something (hopefully) recurring, but c’mon. Why bring in a FOURTH love interest for her this season, so far?

3. Sami says:

he looks like he could be wades brother

4. em says:

I actually like George with Zoe, but it sounds like his character and Zoe would be cute together. I’ll take anything if it means Hartley will be back on my TV screen. I’d like to know if the role’s recurring or really short-term though.

5. Liz says:

Part of me is going YAY! he’s going to be on another show I watch in addition to Castle and another part of me is like Nooo, he can’t come between Zoe and Wade potentially getting together.

6. Carrie Ann says:

Wow, Rachel Bilson is lucky. A Southern accent will probably make him even hotter.

7. Ashley says:

Umm, efffff? ANOTHER potential love interest that isn’t Wade? Let’s quit screwing around! You all know what we want, writers!

• ChrisGa says:

Sad as it is for me to say, I truly think this show’s endgame is a Zoe/George pairing, despite the fact that George is a complete and utter bore while the Zoe/Wade pairing is simply ripe with possibilities. It wouldn’t even surprise me if they actually write the Wade character off at some point which would sadden me as Wilson Bethel is the main reason I watch the show. That said, Justin Hartley is welcome on my TV any hour or day of the week but I’m still hoping it’s on a more permanent basis(hint hint–GREEN ARROW people!).

• Sam says:

Nooo, I’m almost 100% sure they won’t end with George/Zoe. I’m sure there writers know what they are doing with Zoe and Wade.

• Dane says:

I think they originally intended it to be Zoe/George.. but I have a feeling that has changed as they have seen viewer response and witnessed the way the actors play off of each other. Wade is simply a much better match for Zoe. George and Zoe are more like.. brother and sister. I think she will realize that she is only drawn to George at all because he reminds her of a little slice of what she had in NY. As she embraces the life she has in Bluebell she will be more and more drawn to Wade.

• astrid says:

I hope you are right! I would be extremely annoyed by ANY George-Zoe-pairing, but I would kick in my TV if it was the absolute end-game!
          I really hope for Zoe and Wade. Why don’t they write that George-boy off and install the triangle Wade-Zoe-newhotguyintown?
          Zade!!!

8. Regina says:

So excited to see Justin Hartley back on screen again! Gosh, how I’ve missed Green Arrow!!!

9. Jesse says:

NOOO. What are they doing, not another love interest. C’mon this has to stop.

10. Tucker says:

Yay! All my [i]Smallville[/i] kids are finding steady work.

11. Karen says:

Are the showrunners on crack!?! what is this a the bachelor?? The number of love interests is getting a bit too much… Ah well, I guess we’ll see it how it goes../sigh

12. wednesday says:

As elated as I am to see Justin coming to the show, I am sad for Wade. But if it had to be a triangle I would rather it be between Justin’s character and Wade. I just don’t see it with George. He’s nice and all, but I find him boring and think they should bring in a new love interest for him. It’s fine for now that they are doing this with Justin because I know that she will end up with Wade in the long run because they are endgame IMO. Wade is my sweetheart and if I were Zoe I would take him in a heartbeat.

13. Lore says:

I love him, but nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo, Zoe doesnt need another guy!! she is meant to be with Wade!!!

14. Sam says:

I read that this guy is a friend of Wade’s, so I wouldn’t worry much on him becoming a serious love interest for her.

15. Brye says:

Gig after gig, Man, some people loving working.

Hart of Dixie is a good show hope he stays long. Hopefull the show gets renewed for seasons to come.

16. WadeofDixie says:

I say get rid of George, and have Jess (Justin Hartley) in the love triangle, this could be the next CW epic triangle like stefan/elena/damon, I know that people want Zoe/Wade , but once Justin steps on that screen some fans will probably change your mind, highly very likely, it has happened before. And you will be singing Zoe/Jesse should be endgame. Although I want Zade lol, but you just know they will be shipper wars, with other people wanting something else.

If he is a permanent stay, maybe he will even have another LI who is not Zoe, these shows are like soap operas, everyone hookes up with everyone.

17. Imogen says:

I think I’m the only Lemon/Wade shipper…

18. Kane says:

I’m still hoping for a George/Wade pairing.

19. John says:

Maybe as compensation for Lemon’s real feelings?

Just her sense of duty keeping her going with him. And that looks to be fraying day by day.

20. Sid says:

This is typical network casting.

Justin will have a short stint on Hart of Dixie and then we’ll hear he’s been cast as the lead in Green Arrow.

21. Jude says:

Looks like Justin Hartley will be type-cast as ‘the boyfriend’ from now on.

22. Natalie says:

TEAM WADE!

23. Jenn C says:

I’m just happy to see Justin Hartley anywhere! LOL I’ve loved him ever since he played Fox Crane on Passions hahahahaha That said, I’m team Zoe/Wade, definitely

24. LLL says:

First cassidy and now justin! Man these smallville people are going places!

25. Caroline says:

I really really like Zoe with George. I don’t think George is boring at all, but I also think we don’t know who he really is yet. I like Wade with Zoe too. And I’m also okay with another love interest for Zoe. If you want a show like this to last a few seasons and be interesting, the writers will have to build in a lot of possible storylines and possibilities for potential couples. Zoe with only Wade would be boring for me too. So let’s bring on the cute guys!

26. lois says:

She do not need another love interest.wade and george is enough. The show has lost its focus.wade and goerge is good for her.

27. Chad says:

That’s a shame. I love seeing him on tv however there is nothing that will get me to watch this show. I wish he was focusing on trying to stay Green Arrow on the spin-off.

• Karen says:

Shows are always trying to mix things up. Two love interests should be enough, but bringing in a third potential isn’t horrible. Justin is a wonderful actor. His experience, I think in large part due to his being in a daytime soap, really taught him some great technique. Factor in that he is incredibly handsome and never seems full of himself is also appealing. As for the Green Arrow thing… he really has NO SAY as to whether that show will happen. I come from a family of actors. Fans must realize how few actors ever are able to make a living with their craft. This, along with being his passion, is also a job to him. Roles are not real life. It is his bread and butter, and he does have a family he supports, along with his wife, an actress. Some actors are working actors, meaning they will work in a myriad of things, and endeavor to keep working. This not only establishes them, but allows them to make a living AND develop their abilities. One of the best actors around, Michael Caine, was like this. Every movie he was in was not necessarily memorable, but he continued to grow as an actor, as well as allow acting to remain his main source of income. If an actor is known for being reliable and good, they will continue to find work. Also, being in different things keeps them from getting typecast. No actor wants to be so identified with one character that they find it hard to get roles that are different that what they are popular for. As fans, we WANT to see them as the characters they portrayed that we grew to love, but when they are not in front of the camera, or on the state, they go back to their real lives. So, please keep the comments nice. If acting was your source of income, would you turn down paying roles? I think Justin has the ability to shine in them all, no matter what.

28. ru crowder says:

Why wont he try out for finnick?

29. ru crowder says:

No one else would compare for the hunger games role