Exclusive

Good Wife Exclusive: Nurse Jackie's Merritt Wever Cast as Will's [Spoiler]

The Good Wife‘s most eligible bachelor is about to get a couple of new women in his life.

TVLine has learned exclusively that Nurse Jackie scene-stealer Merritt Wever has been cast in the recurring role of Will’s younger sister Audra; the search for a second actress to play the older of Will’s sisters is ongoing.

The Gardner gals will apparently show up on Will’s doorstep determined to repair his personal life — and get him a new girlfriend — and not surprisingly, their meddling will work his last nerve.

A show insider says Audra is a 33-year-old “free-spirited rebel with a rock-and-roll edge,” whose love of a good time provides a stark contrast to “bean-counting” older sis Sara.

“Will’s younger sister is sort of the irresponsible one,” says executive producer Robert King. “Will was the one who followed their parents’ directive to get a job that paid. [Audra] was the one who was allowed to be a little more rebellious.”

Excited about Wever joining the stellar Good Wife ensemble? Worried she might actually find a match for Will whose name is not Alicia? Sound off in the comments!

1. Kelly says:

This is great casting! Anyone who was in “Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip” is okay by me :)

2. Andy says:

No! other woman for Will.

3. Aimee says:

The Good Wife casting is amazing! She’s so good on Nurse Jackie!

4. Linda says:

I LOVE Merritt Wever! She’s hilarious on Nurse Jackie! Yay, can’t wait!

5. jasie says:

Sounds like Jessalyn Gilsig would be perfect for one of these roles. Either SIS or new girl. Get her back on my tv ASAP.

6. Alison says:

So exciting! Merritt Weaver is consistently the best thing about Nurse Jackie and she will be amazing here, I am sure.

• ChrisGa says:

Yeah, Nurse Jackie(the character) has become even more unappealing as the seasons go on but Merritt Wever(and Eve Best)almost single-handedly save the show for me. Give this woman an Emmy already(hell, even a nomination would be nice).

• kris says:

Could not agree more. I love Zoey and O’Hara, oh and Akalitus too. I laugh so hard at that show, it often surprises me. I don’t laugh easy!

7. Janine says:

I LOVE HER!!!! She’s funny i can see her getting on Will’s nerve. can’t wait!

8. JJ says:

I just O’d over this casting. TGW knows how to cast!

9. jenna says:

Love her! She is definitely the best and possibly the only reason to watch Nurse Jackie.

10. Emma says:

Well since they are casting from old Aaron Sorkin shows how about Janel Moloney or Nina Siemaszko from West Wing as the older sister.

• kris says:

Oh Janel Moloney please, I can so hear her tell Will he doesn’t know gunmetal from a hole in the ground :-)

• Amber says:

I go with Natalie from Sports Night as the older sister. For the life of me, I can’t recall that actress’s real name, but I think she and Merritt Weaver would be really funny together.

11. Nicole says:

Perfection!!! TGW is absolutely owning in terms of guest stars. Merritt Wever is soooooo awesome.

12. Kari says:

This looks like another great casting decision! I’m so looking forward to seeing Will with family – I’ve been waiting to see more “behind the scenes with Will” for quite awhile, so this is a welcomed addition! As for being worried she might find someone new for Will to date? Well, he’s bound to find someone, at least in the short-term. I don’t think Will and Alicia are over by any means though (and based on Julianna Margulies’ comment at the New York Times Arts & Leisure Weekend last week, she doesn’t seem to think they are over either). Team Gardner!

13. CSC says:

Great casting! Merritt Wever is one of the best characters on Nurse Jackie. But NO OTHER WOMAN for Will!! Please!!!!!!!!!!!

14. ellie says:

this is really the BEST show on TV! the casting is impeccable, the characters are perfectly flawed and relatable and the writing is chillingly delicious! they do a fantastic job of showing the main characters and giving them wonderful story-lines/character development, but integrating fun and brilliant guest stars to add to, NOT take away from (as other show sadly do) the phenomenal continuation of the show.

15. Carol says:

I’ve always thought Amy Gardner from The West Wing should be Will’s sister. A high-powered, opinionated Washington insider – I love it.

16. Brady says:

love nurse jackie and Merritt will be awesome! can’t wait for season 4 starting in April!

so many places to see one of my favorites actresses in the upcoming months!’

17. Cynthia says:

So worried! I love Will & Alicia 2gethr! All the current drama of court cases and personal relations is wonderful and a little spice might be exciting too.

18. jaded says:

I don’t want Alicia/Will together so could care less about Will but I love the casting for his sister! She’s awesome on nurse Jackie!!

19. Jake says:

i love her on Nurse Jackie! cant wait to see her on The Good Wife.

20. Carrie says:

Love the new casting of Merrit Wever! TGW is so awesome on picking actors for new roles. But I hope Will’s sisters fail in finding a girlfriend for him. I really like Will and Alicia – they make an awesome couple. So its great to see Will’s family – just like we see Alicia’s brother. We may find out more about what he thinks about Alicia – always good!

21. Chris says:

Since we are talking Aaron Sorkin shows…it’d be cool to see Felicity Huffman on The Good Wife. Too bad Desperate Housewives hasn’t ended already.

22. brazil says:

GO BACK CELESTE SERRANO TO WILL

23. Gretchen says:

Yeah, she’s great on NJ. And what happened to Romany Malco’s character? Loved him on Weeds, thought for sure he was going to hook up with Alicia.

24. Paola says:

No No no! For me, Willicia for ever! the relationship between Will and Alicia is the only reason for watching the show! if not, it would be boring..bye bye
    Paola

25. guategal says:

The writers have created this A/W scenario in my thinking: Will can only love Alicia. He may try to love another, but he’ll not be able to truely cease loving Alicia. When Alicia can feel good about herself being finally free and able to follow her heart without diminishing goodness ideals for her children, she will reach out openly for Will. But ……..oh……the timing ordeal………