The CW Takes Aim at Green Arrow Series

The CW is getting back into the superhero business with a potential hour-long drama series based on the DC Comics property Green Arrow.

As first reported by our sister site Deadline.com, the network is finalizing a pilot order for the project, which would be written and exec produced by Greg Berlanti and Marc Guggenheim (Eli Stone) and Andrew Kreisberg (The Vampire Diaries).

The tentative title is Arrow.

In addition to working together on Eli Stone, Berlanti and Guggenheim penned last summer’s big screen adaptation of The Green Lantern.

CW president Mark Pedowitz has made no secret of his desire to launch a new superhero series next season. Also in the mix is an adaptation of Deadman from Supernatural creator Eric Kripke.

Thoughts? Should the network’s casting search begin and end with Justin Hartley (a.k.a. Smallville‘s Green Arrow)? Hit the comments!

TAGS: ,
GET MORE: News, Pilots

1. Jason says:

I love Berlanti and all…BUT: After we’ve just spent four seasons exploring a well-defined Green Arrow / Oliver Queen on Smallville, what’s the point of focusing on this character now? It’s only going to stir up angry fans who can’t see anyone in the role besides Justin Hartley. Sad, but a true fact.

There are what, thousands (?) of comic characters to choose from. You can’t find ONE whose story isn’t as fresh in viewers’ minds? This project, to me, has failure written on it from Day 1, simply because of negative backlash. Just like The Graysons a couple years ago (which could’ve been great, BTW).

Seems like there’s more of a market for the Justice League; but that ship may have sailed, as well.

• tarc says:

Look, Smallville is over, and the Smallville Green Arrow had very, very little to do with the actual comics GA that vasly more people know and like. I don’t particularly think anyone should be the slightest bit concerned about the tiny minority of people that can’t move on. The new show is a new universe with a new storyline based on the comics – which will be a vast improvement for the character (from being a sort of peripheral sidekick on SV).

2. DreamRose311 says:

I hope it’s Hartly, but honestly the most interesting piece of news in this article to me, is the fact that Kripke is working on developing something new :oD

3. OliverQueenfangirl says:

PLEASE start fresh w/ the comics Ollie and not the one from the Smallville universe!!!!
    This picture of Josh Dallas from “Thor” has the classic facial hair & do of the comics Oliver Queen:

I’ll only watch IF they go in this direction and it includes Black Canary & Roy Harper as Speedy/Red Arrow

4. Mel says:

I will not watch it WITHOUT Justin Hartley as Green Arrow. Period.

5. Winchester says:

Kripke’s “Deadman” sounds intelligent and brilliant. I hope it succeeds. I’ll definitely watch that.
    On the Green Lantern comments divide, I have to say I’d rather watch a complete different Green Lantern who is not associated to Smallville. I liked Smallville, but GL needs a better story than continuing from SV. I never liked Hartley as GL much. A better adaptation would have been Hawkman! Now that guy who played the character was amazing!

6. James says:

As pretty much what everyone else has said…Justin Hartley is a definite yes for the Arrow role.

Although of course they would have to change some things here and there as the end of Smallville shows that Chloe has a kid, and it’s pretty much intended that Oliver is the father.

However, no origin story no no no, make this a post-smallville show, when he goes off and does his own thing for a while, and of course keep the JLA in there as cameos here and there. That would be an awesome show.

My only bereavment about this news….the Green Lantern writers are doing it…which was one of the biggest flops in recent movie history (and yes the story did play a big part in that).
    If they could have some of the smallville writers on board as consultants or whatever then they would be able to guide the new showrunners as to what Oliver has done and how to portay him.

• ArcherG says:

Lose Justin hartley he didnt care for the character at all in the last season, all he cared about was Chlollie.

He has sold out Green Arrow before, he will do it again. Nothing has changed!!.

7. Michael says:

I’m torn with this one… WB/CW went this direction before with “Birds of Prey” and it bombed. Why can’t they just use a more recognizable superhero if they’re going to make another series? Like Flash or Aquaman… An Auqaman series would be AWESOME!

• A says:

They did have plans for an Aquaman show with Justin Hartley, but the pilot was terrible and it was when the WB transitioned into CW, so it didn’t get picked up. That’s how he got the Green Arrow gig though.

8. Ana says:

Justin Hartley – Yes.
    Alaina Huffman – Heck Yeah.
    Allison Mack – GOOD LORD PLEASE NOOO!
    Although I am missing Smallville more than I thought and that’s saying a lot, I hope they keep it Smallville-bagage free, unless we’re talking about a lil’ cameo here in there, and ONLY from Superman and/or Speedy, ’cause I’d like to see Arrow as a mentor and all.

9. A says:

I’d love to see Justin Hartley back, but if it’s a complete reboot then I think Chord Oversreet would be great.

10. ByOlliesBeard says:

Please no:

Supermax
    Smallville; i.e. Hartley.

I really did not like what was done with the character
    on Smallville. I say let someone else give Ollie a go.

And frankly I’d prefer a more mature actor/GA, but this
    being the CW who am I kidding?

What this veteran GA fan would like to see is:

a lot of archery, attitude and beard.

11. dublin04 says:

I’d like to know how many of these Justin Hartley/Smallville fans have ever read a Green Arrow comic? Please stick to the original comic version of Green Arrow w/ Dinah & Roy and/or if you’re going for an older Ollie- Connor and Mia as well. It’s time for the real Oliver Queen story! As for casting, it’s a shame that Josh Dallas is too busy playing Prince Charming on “Once Upon a Time’ because he had the GA hair and goatee when he starred in “Thor”

12. Alexa says:

While I think Justin Hartley is the perfect Green Arrow, people are going to associate him with the Smallville version of Oliver Queen. If they do this series I think there should be a completely new rebooted Green Arrow. Unless it follows the continuity of Smallville (which I doubt it will) then Justin probably wouldn’t work for the role.

13. Angie says:

It’s guaranteed to be a hit if they cast Justin as the star, and especially if they have Allison Mack as Chloe on the show. That would be a dream come true!

• ArcherG says:

Its not guaranteed anything, he has failed pilots remember. The last thing this new show will need is a forced relationship, with over-acting actors.

14. NelsonK says:

We have a new Superman after Tom played Superman for 10 years, we will have a new Green Arrow

Judging by the comments on this article yes the wisest thing would be to leave Justin Hartley out, they are so many people here who just cant take changes and will not accept anything new and that will be a problem to lead them along. This is a new show, you cant take that then this show is not for you.

15. Jack says:

Surely keep Justin Hartley as Green Arrow! He fits the role perfectly!

16. Jude says:

To all but the ‘Chlollie’ fans, Smallville’s Green Arrow became a complete joke when the showrunners decided to include the cracktastic, lightswitched romance with Chloe. Justin Hartley can thank Kelly Souders and Brian Peterson for destroying any chance he might have had with this new show.

17. CMC says:

CHAD MICHAEL COLLINS FOR GREEN ARROW role

make it happen CW!!

18. jojo a says:

It should be Justin Hartley. He is perfect for green arrow. He did such a good job in smallville. But we also need to know if the story is going to be linked with smallville or not. If not and maybe they want to start green arrow’s story from its origin, then i guess a younger and fresher actor is needed.

19. CheshireCat says:

Anyone started petition for Justin already??

20. justin says:

If they do a reboot like spiderman and soon to be batman …well noone will care. The only reason smallville fans will watch it is cause of hartley. And chloe married him and had a child so to start all over only real green arrow fans will be interested but highly critical if its not what they want. They need to move forward from smallville. And if the vampire diaries guy does it its just gonna be about who is doing who.. keep it like smallville but more like justice league cause you already have a huge following..ITS A NO BRAINER!!

21. Mari says:

Yes a liked Justin Hartley for Green Arrow and Allison Mack

22. marisol says:

me if I would like to see Justin Hartley as Green Arrow is perfect for that role would not be the same without him and even better if with this ALLISON MACK have the very good chemistry that goes beyond the screens and should take advantage of it because as they say is a new story not just have to follow the comic very well ALLISON Black Canary could play and not in his role as Chloe do not understand why some did not like I loved, and at last the work would see more time together and I repeat as stained very good chemistry and look great together, and I think they would go very well and as they say here may also guest stars smallville.
    and it is in this series that they are together and make another JUSTIN & ALLISON important thing is who are those two if I stay because I see them wanting more time together and developing a true story and not just as they did in samllvile few. then if JUSTIN HARTLEY & ALLISON MACK for Green Arrow would be like a dream come true at last :)

23. laura says:

without Justin Hartley would not be the same and even better if this Allison Mack to work very well together, they look good together, has very good chemistry and are a super hot couple. or else is in this series because they think the two of them for another series I’m sure they would go very well together and that would have many followers.