Showtime Boss Defends Dexter's Incesty Twist, Offers Homeland Season 2 Intel and More!

At the Television Critics Association’s winter press tour Thursday, Showtime president David Nevins weathered a storm of Dexter-related questions, particularly regarding that controversial Season 6 twist that found Deb confronting her romantic feelings for her adoptive brother — a creative choice the exec vehemently defends.

“I’m aware that there’s a certain taboo despite the fact that they’re not genetically related, but [this is] something that has been building over a number of years,” Nevins noted, claiming that this is “an idea that’s informed how they’ve done this show for a long time.”

Regarding the other big Season 6 reveal (i.e. Deb witnessing Dex’s Dark Passenger in action), Nevins said the turning point sets in motion “a very clear trajectory [for] the next two seasons, and it’s going to help to write with that endgame in mind. There should be fundamentally different dynamics now that Deb [knows about Dex] and it’s going to ricochet.

“I’ve been pushing to shake up [Dexter's] formula a bit… so he’s not such a lone wolf,” he added.

Speaking of the show’s “endgame,” Nevins conceded that Dexter‘s two-season pickup provides a “likely endpoint” for the saga, “but I’m allowing for the possibility that the plan can change.”

Other newsy tidbits from Showtime’s exec session:

Nurse Jackie, The Big C and The Borgias will return with new episodes on Sunday, April 8. Nevins said not to assume that Jackie‘s upcoming fourth season will be its last. “I was really pushing [for Jackie to] start facing some of the consequences of her actions and she does in a big way,” he teased,” noting that “the feel of the episodes is slightly tweaked” this year and it resulted in putting Jackie in “a very different place.” The Borgias, meanwhile, will be a “bigger show in Season 2. It’s got more action and is going in more directions… and I certainly anticipate more seasons.”

* Nevins was guarded when it came to spilling intel on Homeland Season 2, except to say, “I wouldn’t necessarily assume that Season 2 begins the day after Season 1 ended” and that the complex dynamic between Sgt. Brody and disgraced CIA agent Carrie “[has] only just begun.” Nevins noted that the spy drama faces “justified skepticism” coming off a freshman run of episodes that continually one-upped each other, but said, “The writers have some very clever answers for that,” ones that will keep the show “one step ahead of the doubting Thomases.”

• The Franchise will return for a second season with a new and “very interesting” Major League Baseball team, Nevins revealed. The financially strapped Dodgers, perhaps?

• The second season of Episodes will consist of nine installments.

• Nevins said Showtime believes it can have “real impact with documentaries,” and plans to hit the ground running with flicks based on the lives of former Vice President Dick Cheney, infamous hip-hop producer Suge Knight and late comedian Richard Pryor.

1. WhoAreYou says:

Since last year’s Franchise cover the previous World Champions, this year’s should cover the Cardinals. So, of course they’ll pick another team. This is why you’ll never get my money, Showtime.

2. hello says:

End the incest ir i am done

• Ashley says:

Anyone else read this comment and think of I R Baboon? No? Just me? Okay.

• rubytu says:

incest isn’t pleasant, and I try to imagine why the writers would do this – trying to salvage the marriage of their stars? Good luck with that one. ugh!

3. nick says:

you can be creeped out all you want and claim its incest but the fact of the matter is that is isn’t. yes there’s a gross factor cause they’re so close but if you really think next season dexter and deb are gonna be involved you’re an idiot, its clearly just a way to explore more into debs unstable emotions. first she realizes she loves her “brother” then sees him kill someone

• darklady65 says:

ITA with you Nick =)

• I agree with you as well, Nick. People are freaking out – umm, this isn’t Everybody Loves Raymond – it’s DEXTER! Of course there are going to be controversial topics. Last I checked, a show devoted to serial killers with a serial killer as the protagonist, who torture people and chop up their bodies is a tad bit controversial as well. Like Nick said… they’re NOT actually related. Deb has a lot of issues with men… let’s see: Her dad ignored her to help Dex, after a series of failed relationships, she thinks she finally finds the “one” – only he’s the Ice Truck Killer and tied her up and planned on murdering her, then she clung to Frank Lundy as a father figure… he left, and just when he came back and they were finally happy, he gets shot right in front of her. Through all this crazy crap, Dexter has been the one person (in her eyes, anyway) that has always been there for her. Maybe not emotionally like she’d like him to be, but he is there, which no other guy has been for her. I’d find it weird if she DIDN’T have feelings for him. & again, they’re NOT biologically related. Sure, it’s weird, but she has very deep-rooted issues. They’re not going to make them a couple! Her brother, her hero… she’s now realized that he’s a killer. They’ve led up to this from the beginning! It is excellent writing on behalf of the staff and acting on behalf of Michael and Jen.

4. DB says:

Um, dear Mr. Nevins, please go back and actually watch past seasons of Dexter. there has been NO romantic love between Dexter and Deb “building over a number of years.” Even though they are not related, this ridiculous incest twist was only meant as as the end-of-season shock value and nothing more. it’s cheap and stupid, please don’t insult your viewers’ intelligence. i get that they love each other as siblings, but they wanna screw each other? um. NO.

But thank you for recognizing Nurse Jackie is in desperate need of a shack up. If ever there’s a show that aspiring TV writers need to watch for “what not to do” then it will be this show. Jackie is a show of no progress and no consequence. she’s an addict from day 1 who refuse to face her demons, and her friends are enabling her by ignoring her problem. In the span of three seasons, nothing has changed. frankly, any changes brought to this show now feel a bit too little too late.

• Laurel says:

I completely agree with you about Dexter.
      The incest twist makes no sense and it is does feel like a cheap insult to the viewer.
      The producers seem to be out of touch with the audience.

I am really looking forward to the return of Homeland and the Borgias.

• Agreed says:

I agree. I can’t see Dexter reciprocating these feelings. He is so concerned with presenting a normal image and it is NOT normal to hook up with your adopted sister who you grew up with from the age of toddlerhood. I think it would be really cool if Deb joined him in his hobby but that’s it. I don’t think this incest thing is going to stick.

• darklady65 says:

well for one it’s not incest they are not blood-related…they are only brother & sister in name…and of course its not going to stick since yes they will explore it…but after that it will turn out that Deb was just confused about her feelings or whatever other excuse you can come up with & that will be it the arc ends…then we will see Deb help him out from then on since it seems that that’s where it heading

• Joe says:

Then why have I been saying for years that Deb wants him? Pay attention to the show.

• Voice of Reason says:

I think you should re-watch Dex. Dex introduces us to Deb in the first episode by saying that if he could have feelings for anyone it’d be her, and the two of them far more closely resemble a couple than a couple of siblings. It all logically follows, and you’re just letting some stupid (and technically misdirected) yuck factor interfere with your enjoyment of good drama.

I think this might tie back to a way in which the American audience perplexes me. We’re terrified of sex, especially if its not a vanilla portrayal, but wanton violence is okay. Not that I’m not okay with the violence, but between the two, sex is clearly the less bad influence.

• rubytu says:

I totally agree on both counts! Incest has no place on Dexter, unless it’s some other family and he’s going to kill a predator. It’s just stupid that they wrote this.
      Nurse Jackie is one of the shows I’ve encountered where I don’t like the main character, but love all the others enough to keep watching the show. Esp Zoey.

• bob loblaw says:

You are insulting your own intelligence by never noticing anything strange about Deb’s affection for her brother…It wasn’t normal. Seriously, I feel bad for the Dexter writers having to deal with all these ignorant people who don’t even pay attention to the show undermining their intelligence and bitching about the incest coming out of nowhere…ugh

5. Seamus says:

The Dexter story line is terrible. Incest should be kept behind closed doors. Or at least that’s what my uncle keeps saying.

6. Mick says:

I agree with Nick, it’s not actually incest so who cares. They obviously knew they were going to let Deb find about his dark passenger & need a reason that she couldn’t dob him in, therefore she’s in with him. Boom.

7. Brendan says:

I love how people are reacting like Deb and Dexter had wild, kinky sex in the season finale. Deb admitted to having complicated feelings, and decided to tell her brother about them. That’s all.
    Plus the always interesting factor of “Six seasons of violent murders, no problem. COMPLICATED EMOTIONS THAT MAY BE WRONG?!?! I’M OUTTA HERE!”
    Life is messy, and people do things that are taboo. So it makes you uncomfortable. Thing is, that’s kinda the point…

• Ashley says:

I wondered about that too. Horrible murders, tits, ass and sex galore are all fine and dandy. But, gosh darn it, the complexity of human emotions are just too damn racy, by golly. Methinks these folks should stick to Nick at Nite, where the -isms are a-okay and the bad guys never win.

8. Emma says:

The Big C is back on April? I thought I wouldn’t come until summer.

9. Phil Hersh says:

I will never waste my time and watch the boring Homeland again. The finale proved what a total waste the season was. Walker was not needed for anything. Boring Boring Boring. If the finale at least made the rest of what I watched in Season 1 add up to something I’d watch Season 2 but it didn’t add up to anything. I expect Homeland to be cancelled after Season 2. People who were insulted by the final will for the most part not watch Season 2. Same with AMC The Killing

• Emma says:

The Killing is a thousand times better than Homeland. I think Homeland is very good but it’s nothing that we haven’t seen before. The Killing is something else and the characters are more likeable, I can’t seem to like anyone in Homeland, maybe Carrie but even she is a pain sometimes.

• Tania says:

So, Emma, you don’t like a program because you don’t find the characters likeable? Hmm…..

While enjoyable, The Killing is still very much a been there, seen that type of program.

• Emma says:

I didn’t say I don’t like Homeland, in fact I said it’s very good. But I like The Killing better, maybe because I care more about the characters.

• Noelbelle says:

What’s wrong with not liking a program because you don’t like the characters? There has to be something to relate to in the characters or viewers would have no interest in what happens to them.

• rubytu says:

The killing is very gritty, very grim. I watched like ten minutes of Homeland and had to turn it off. It wasn’t about the quality of the show, it was about a govt. agency doing terrible things, watching people in their bedroom. I found it abhorrant.
          One of the best shows of all time, ever, was Da Vinci’s Inquest. Gritty, intricate, complex, and with great integrity of the main character. Gotta love it.

• darklady65 says:

agree to disagree I loved both Homeland & The Killing

• Tania says:

Well, Phil Hersh apparently didn’t understand what he was watching. That’s okay. Not many have the intellect to comprehend a program like Homeland. This is why there are programs like The Biggest Loser, The Jersey Shore, etc., etc., etc. Enjoy Phil.

10. wooster182 says:

When you jump your sister, you’ve jumped the shark. I think I have to quit Dexter. What a stupid storyline.

• Kelly says:

WOOSTER182—THANK YOU! Just what I was thinking.Sorry, but the producers trying to tell us Deb wants Dexter, please.The writers were in the writing room and made a bet at the most rediculous thing they could think of and pulled that straight out of thier ass*s. Stupid. And that therapist is mindf*ing Deb big time.She suggest, then all of a sudden she has Deb thinking something that has never been hinted at or proven at all.I call BS

• bob loblaw says:

Signs that you are in denial
        1. Say that the writers pulled this out of their asses (which means you have not been paying attention)
        2. Say that Deb & Dex are half-related (Which only further proves that you have not been paying attention)
        3. Say that Deb’s therapist “mindf*cked” deb into thinking she’s in love with her brother(
        4. Make up theories about Deb’s therapist and how she could be evil or is secretly working with Laguerta.

11. Rachael says:

The problem is that this statement is either not true, or it was never made clear enough to the audience. The incest storyline is not great in general IMO, but part of the reason people found it SO crazy is that it just came out of NOWHERE in like the last TWO episodes of the entire season. Deb went from being utterly appalled at the notion, to suddenly deciding she was IN LOVE with Dex in a matter of ONE EPISODE. That is totally ridiculous.

• bob loblaw says:

Are you kidding me? People didn’t even notice it at all in Deb’s earlier therapy sessions…Jesus, No wonder why this came “out of the blue” for some.

12. kevin says:

Hope DEXTER will definitely end after eight seasons and I can’t wait what HOMELAND has in store for Season Two but I did watch the entire first season On Demand which was part of Showtime Free Preview last week and hopefully won’t wait for long when both shows comes out on DVD.

13. Riley says:

How disappointing. No word on Scott Buck and his team of inept writers getting the boot from Dexter then? I can’t believe that Chip got axed (justifiably) after season 5, and yet Buck still has his job after turning in a season which was not only worse, but ignorant, full of plot-holes and stupidity and completely lacked any discernible talent.

“Did anyone go in the crime scene yet Angel?”
    “No Dex, we were waiting for you!”

– Thanks for killing the show Buck & Chip!