Ratings: Tree Hill Climbs, Harry's Law Hits High

Get More: News, Premieres, Ratings

The CW’s One Tree Hill launched its ninth and final season on Wednesday night to an audience of 1.75 million total viewers and a 0.9 demo rating, up 18 and 29 percent from its May finale.

Of the evening’s other premieres, NBC’s relocated Whitney (6.06 mil/2.1) christened its new slot with an 11 percent demo increase, while lead-out Are You Funny There, Chelsea? (6.43 mil/2.3) built on those numbers.

One last headline: Harry’s Law worked “wonders” returning from its holiday break, drawing its second largest audience (8.65 mil) and best 18-to-49 demo rating of the season (1.4).

Other notes:

* ABC’s sitcombo of The Middle (9.6 mil/3.0) and Suburgatory (9 mil/2.9) led the 8 o’clock hour, with both shows flat versus their previous outings.

* Modern Family easily topped the night in both total viewers (12.33 mil) and in the demo (5.1), though dropped 11 percent in both measures. Lead-out Happy Endings (7.1 mil/3.1) only slipped a few percentage points.

* CBS’ presentation of The People’s Choice Awards averaged 8.88 mil and a 2.5, down 7 percent in the demo to hit an all-time low (excepting the SAG strike year).

* SVU (8.4 mil/2.0) led the 10 o’clock hour in total audience (with its second largest draw of the season), while Revenge (7.5 mil/2.4) had the best demo rating, despite dipping a tenth.

Comments (33)

• It’s called Erica Durance Power :D

Comment by Tiva4Life – January 12, 2012 09:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree!

Comment by Cynthia – January 12, 2012 09:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yep!

Comment by Carrie – January 12, 2012 11:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agree!

This was my first (and last) time watching Harry’s Law.

As much as I love watching Erica in just about anything, I wouldn’t watch Harry’s Law again even if she became a regular.

Comment by Pete – January 12, 2012 12:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Everybody needs to watch ‘Law & Order: SVU’ next Wednesday! It’s been 13 years and Liv is just NOW getting a good man. Shame! I heard Harry Connick Jr.’s acting is supposed to top any SVU male guest star before, we’ll see.

Comment by New 'Law & Order: SVU', Wednesday 10/9c on NBC – January 12, 2012 12:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Also called “Comic books fans wanting to see how Wonder Woman’s integrated” power.

However its a shame all those publicity shots of Durance in the costume were never for any actual scenes. And her only appearance in the costume was in the testimonial flashback.

Comment by Evan – January 13, 2012 12:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The only show I care about on Wednesday nights is REVENGE!

Comment by Mika – January 12, 2012 09:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I tried to switch back and forth between Whitney/The Middle and Chelsea/Suburgatory, and it didn’t work very well. I like Whitney more and more each week, but Are You There, Chelsea didn’t seem like much. I like Laura Prepon but the rest of the show wasn’t anything special, and Chelsea Handler was downright unpleasant.

Comment by CJ – January 12, 2012 11:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • How do you flip back and forth between 2 half hour sitcoms??? Reality, I can understand, but a short sitcom seems odd :-)

Comment by AJ – January 12, 2012 12:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Oh, that dull teen series. That’s cool.

Comment by Tania – January 12, 2012 02:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Personally, I think Erica Durance would make a great Wonder Woman.
    Fantsatic actress! Just look at her work on Smallville. She lit up the screen!

Comment by afrob – January 12, 2012 09:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love Erica a lot, but I was quite surprised to see Emily Rose (I <3 Haven) in the same episode, her story with the Gorilla overshadowed the hyped Wonder Woman story pretty much the whole hour, and in the end it was much more compelling.

Can't help but think they should have been separate episodes, having both ladies as guest stars together kind of wasted both a bit.

Comment by Doug – January 12, 2012 09:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I disagree. I didn’t like the ape story.

Comment by Candice – January 12, 2012 06:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I understand it may not be the smartest sitcom on TV but I really enjoyed Are You There Chelsea? It was light fun and has great raunchy humour!Whitney is still horrible.

Comment by Elle – January 12, 2012 09:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • OTH rocked last night! Great way to start the last season. It makes me a little sad to see the end in sight. I am excited to see the return of Paul Johanson as a regular character and his performance last night when he asked Haley for help was heartbreaking. Also – the guy you loved to hate was back and it looks like Chris Keller is going to be stirring the pot a bit in Tree Hill. So happy to see Brooke and Julian’s little family. All in all – it was fabulous.

Comment by Trista – January 12, 2012 09:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Don’t let Dan’s sad face fool you.. He probably set the fire himself.

Comment by Sen – January 12, 2012 10:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • OTH was boring. Chris and Dan were the only interesting parts. They are why I’m watching s9. Show has been on WAYYY too long. From a former die hard fan.

Comment by lorna – January 16, 2012 01:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I tuned into Harry’s Law because Erica Durance was the guest star. She was great

Comment by Sarah – January 12, 2012 10:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • all i want to do with my life is watch episodes of revenge

Comment by Amanda – January 12, 2012 10:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Two of my favorite actresses were on “Harry’s Law” and it was the con of having Emily Rose and Erica Durance in the same episode that got me to watch. Wow were those girls misused and abused by that p.o.s. script. It appears that Emily Rose’s guest stint isn’t quite over but I can’t stick with this dreck. What a pile of crap that show is. David Kelly’s time in the sun is over, the writing is putrid and that show is just par for the course for crappy NBC. “The Firm”, despite a great cast top to bottom – Callum Keith Rennie and Tricia Helfer in another show together is really cool and Molly Parker and Juliette Lewis are both really good- but the story really didn’t make any sense whatsoever. That spot should have gone to Ron Moore’s “17th Precinct” which is what should have brought Helfer back on TV.

Comment by BHM1304 – January 12, 2012 10:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am so happy Revenge fans are strong anf loyal and choose to watch it live instead of watching The PCA, It was a great ep. and a great cliff hanger twist.

Comment by fernando – January 12, 2012 11:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Also One Tree Hill was wonderful last night, I love Brooke as a mom, its so great seeing how far she come from mean girl in high school to what she is today. Clay worries me, it seems like he will end up killing someone well sleep walking haha but thats how they put it last night like hes sleep walking is going to led to something really aweful. Alex and Chase were very fun to watch last night, Id love to see a spin off of chase half naked every week lol.

Comment by fernando – January 12, 2012 11:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Are You There Chelsea? was terrible. Didn’t laugh once. Tired, tired jokes and post-modern gender stereotypes — whoop-de-doop.

Comment by Holly – January 12, 2012 12:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I watched Harry’s Law because of Erica. She was wonderful!!!!!!

Comment by Eliza – January 12, 2012 02:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Modern Family and Happy Endings still rocks on Wednesdays. Whitney and Chelsea are both huge flops for NBC and I won’t mind if two dreadful sitcoms gets cancel during or after the end of the TV season.

Comment by kevin – January 12, 2012 02:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Whitney is great.

Chelsea sucks.

nuff said.

Comment by Eli – January 12, 2012 02:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Man that gorilla has star power! Bring it back!!

Comment by Trevino – January 12, 2012 03:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m glad Harry’s Law did better in the ratings – I love this show!

Comment by Marc – January 12, 2012 06:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • more projects for Erica!

Comment by Jelai – January 12, 2012 07:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Just started watching One Tree on demand and am loving it! Really glad I found this show. One of my new favorites!

Comment by Diana – January 13, 2012 09:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I suggest stopping OTH after s6 ends. S7 and S8 blow.

Comment by lorna – January 16, 2012 01:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I loved Erica on the show she did an awesome job :)

Comment by sharon – January 16, 2012 09:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post