Ratings: Tree Hill Climbs, Harry's Law Hits High

The CW’s One Tree Hill launched its ninth and final season on Wednesday night to an audience of 1.75 million total viewers and a 0.9 demo rating, up 18 and 29 percent from its May finale.

Of the evening’s other premieres, NBC’s relocated Whitney (6.06 mil/2.1) christened its new slot with an 11 percent demo increase, while lead-out Are You Funny There, Chelsea? (6.43 mil/2.3) built on those numbers.

One last headline: Harry’s Law worked “wonders” returning from its holiday break, drawing its second largest audience (8.65 mil) and best 18-to-49 demo rating of the season (1.4).

Other notes:

* ABC’s sitcombo of The Middle (9.6 mil/3.0) and Suburgatory (9 mil/2.9) led the 8 o’clock hour, with both shows flat versus their previous outings.

* Modern Family easily topped the night in both total viewers (12.33 mil) and in the demo (5.1), though dropped 11 percent in both measures. Lead-out Happy Endings (7.1 mil/3.1) only slipped a few percentage points.

* CBS’ presentation of The People’s Choice Awards averaged 8.88 mil and a 2.5, down 7 percent in the demo to hit an all-time low (excepting the SAG strike year).

* SVU (8.4 mil/2.0) led the 10 o’clock hour in total audience (with its second largest draw of the season), while Revenge (7.5 mil/2.4) had the best demo rating, despite dipping a tenth.

1. Tiva4Life says:

It’s called Erica Durance Power :D

2. Mika says:

The only show I care about on Wednesday nights is REVENGE!

• CJ says:

I tried to switch back and forth between Whitney/The Middle and Chelsea/Suburgatory, and it didn’t work very well. I like Whitney more and more each week, but Are You There, Chelsea didn’t seem like much. I like Laura Prepon but the rest of the show wasn’t anything special, and Chelsea Handler was downright unpleasant.

• Tania says:

Oh, that dull teen series. That’s cool.

3. afrob says:

Personally, I think Erica Durance would make a great Wonder Woman.
    Fantsatic actress! Just look at her work on Smallville. She lit up the screen!

4. Doug says:

I love Erica a lot, but I was quite surprised to see Emily Rose (I <3 Haven) in the same episode, her story with the Gorilla overshadowed the hyped Wonder Woman story pretty much the whole hour, and in the end it was much more compelling.

Can't help but think they should have been separate episodes, having both ladies as guest stars together kind of wasted both a bit.

5. Elle says:

I understand it may not be the smartest sitcom on TV but I really enjoyed Are You There Chelsea? It was light fun and has great raunchy humour!Whitney is still horrible.

6. Trista says:

OTH rocked last night! Great way to start the last season. It makes me a little sad to see the end in sight. I am excited to see the return of Paul Johanson as a regular character and his performance last night when he asked Haley for help was heartbreaking. Also – the guy you loved to hate was back and it looks like Chris Keller is going to be stirring the pot a bit in Tree Hill. So happy to see Brooke and Julian’s little family. All in all – it was fabulous.

7. Sarah says:

I tuned into Harry’s Law because Erica Durance was the guest star. She was great

8. Amanda says:

all i want to do with my life is watch episodes of revenge

9. BHM1304 says:

Two of my favorite actresses were on “Harry’s Law” and it was the con of having Emily Rose and Erica Durance in the same episode that got me to watch. Wow were those girls misused and abused by that p.o.s. script. It appears that Emily Rose’s guest stint isn’t quite over but I can’t stick with this dreck. What a pile of crap that show is. David Kelly’s time in the sun is over, the writing is putrid and that show is just par for the course for crappy NBC. “The Firm”, despite a great cast top to bottom – Callum Keith Rennie and Tricia Helfer in another show together is really cool and Molly Parker and Juliette Lewis are both really good- but the story really didn’t make any sense whatsoever. That spot should have gone to Ron Moore’s “17th Precinct” which is what should have brought Helfer back on TV.

10. fernando says:

I am so happy Revenge fans are strong anf loyal and choose to watch it live instead of watching The PCA, It was a great ep. and a great cliff hanger twist.

11. fernando says:

Also One Tree Hill was wonderful last night, I love Brooke as a mom, its so great seeing how far she come from mean girl in high school to what she is today. Clay worries me, it seems like he will end up killing someone well sleep walking haha but thats how they put it last night like hes sleep walking is going to led to something really aweful. Alex and Chase were very fun to watch last night, Id love to see a spin off of chase half naked every week lol.

12. Holly says:

Are You There Chelsea? was terrible. Didn’t laugh once. Tired, tired jokes and post-modern gender stereotypes — whoop-de-doop.

13. Eliza says:

I watched Harry’s Law because of Erica. She was wonderful!!!!!!

14. kevin says:

Modern Family and Happy Endings still rocks on Wednesdays. Whitney and Chelsea are both huge flops for NBC and I won’t mind if two dreadful sitcoms gets cancel during or after the end of the TV season.

15. Trevino says:

Man that gorilla has star power! Bring it back!!

16. Marc says:

I’m glad Harry’s Law did better in the ratings – I love this show!

17. Jelai says:

more projects for Erica!

18. Diana says:

Just started watching One Tree on demand and am loving it! Really glad I found this show. One of my new favorites!

19. sharon says:

I loved Erica on the show she did an awesome job :)