Gossip Girl Exclusive: Look Who's Returning!

Get More: Exclusive, News, Scoop

Uncle Jack is back!

Desmond Harrington has inked a deal to reprise his role as Chuck’s duplicitous Uncle Jack on Gossip Girl later this season, executive producer Josh Safran confirms to TVLine exclusively.

The Dexter regular made a cameo of sorts in Gossip Girl‘s fall finale when Jack’s voice was heard on the other end of a phone conversation with Liz Hurley’s Diana. This time, he’ll be returning in the flesh — and it sounds like he’ll be sticking around.

“He’ll be back for the last third of the season,” Safran reveals. “When Jack returns, he and Chuck are on good terms. Their story is more of a fun story than an antagonistic story. It’s really twisty and comic. And there might be some secrets that Jack will help Chuck to uncover.”

Gossip Girl returns from its holiday hiatus next Monday.

Comments (39)

• So, I guess Chuck did’t die.

Comment by Captainclaudio – January 12, 2012 09:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • we’ve known for a while that he didn’t die…

Comment by allison – January 12, 2012 09:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Disappointing, isn’t it?

Comment by Natasha – January 12, 2012 12:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • lol not really… he’s one of the most popular characters.

Comment by florence – January 12, 2012 12:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • yep! quite a bit.

Comment by lola – January 12, 2012 12:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • VERY disappointing! ;)

Comment by Ella – January 12, 2012 08:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You really didn’t figure that out before?

Comment by Ana Muller – January 12, 2012 12:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • OMG hot uncle Jack is back! Hallucinogenic mushrooms, anyone? lol Now give me CB and I’m one very happy GG fan.

Comment by Maya – January 12, 2012 09:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yay, I love Desmond and I like Jack Bass as well. I really hope he’s going to help Chuck unveiling some of his family secrets.

Comment by Tina – January 12, 2012 09:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEES!!!!!!!!! More fun than antagonistic!! Im excited!!

Comment by Chris – January 12, 2012 09:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Finally!!! I’ve missed him sooo much!!!!

Comment by Guest – January 12, 2012 09:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Best guest star news ever on Gossip Girl. I am so happy Jack is returning. I am hopeful Blair will be part of this story as well.

Comment by Frannie – January 12, 2012 09:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Is he done with Dexter or does this not interfere? I love Quinn!

Comment by Ari – January 12, 2012 09:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • OH YESSSS!!! I’m so happy to hear this. Especially the “it’s a FUN” story! Ed and Desmond have an AMAZING chemistry so bring it on!!

Comment by roxie – January 12, 2012 09:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • He will also be in the season opener of Justified and he has a role in the Dark knight rises too. Good to see him back.

Comment by Wokie – January 12, 2012 09:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Chuck won’t die? :( Sad news.

Comment by Mark – January 12, 2012 09:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is the most exciting news I’ve heard about GG for a long time. I love Jack, especially if he’s working to HELP Chuck and not hurt him. I was thrilled to hear his voice in the midseason finale and just sooo happy he comes back in the flesh sooner rather than later. (Now if only we could get Blair in this story line too, I’d be just perfect)

Comment by Emily – January 12, 2012 09:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m all for it, if this means more Dair without Chuck and his crazy drama with Blair!

Comment by kkstud – January 12, 2012 09:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • how would you figure that that’s what it means? do you realize you just took a completely separate story line and made it part of your annoying shipper war?

Comment by give it a rest – January 12, 2012 12:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • awww are you that threatened mark, for your dair(?) ship that you have to wish a character dead. #sad

Comment by alice – January 12, 2012 09:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • No. I don’t ship Dair (yet). I think Westwick has enough and the whole Chuck storyline has been rubbish since season 3. So I’m hoping for his death. It will bring more good drama.

Comment by Mark – January 12, 2012 11:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • cool so jack and chuck will make up…so does that mean jack will get an invite to chuck and blair’s future wedding? hope so. Bring on the bass men! xD

Comment by josie – January 12, 2012 09:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So Chuck doesn’t care anymore that Jack tried to rape Lily or made him trade Blair for his hotel?

Comment by E – January 12, 2012 09:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Or how about you wait to see the episodes before assuming something you made up? Jeez.

Comment by seriously – January 12, 2012 01:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I like Jack!. He’s the best guest of Gossip Girl. But,I do not want family plot for Chuck because they have already done. Hopefully it is not.

Comment by Sarah – January 12, 2012 10:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is seriously the best GG news I’ve heard in like a year. I adore Desmond, and it sounds like Chuck will actually have a great storyline coming up, aside from just pining over Blair. Don’t get me wrong, I love CB, but I like them to both have separate storylines as well, it keeps the show interesting.

Comment by Allie – January 12, 2012 10:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m wondering if Diana is Chuck’s mom??? Or some sort of relative of his? Hmm….

Comment by Mari – January 12, 2012 10:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love Uncle Jack!

Comment by Joan – January 12, 2012 10:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yayyyyyyyyyy. İ love him so much both desmond and Jack. Yay for scaly uncle coming back for good intentions hahaha. İ love all Bass Men! İ hope they find out something nice for Bart and it will soften Chuck’s heart even more against his father! And i really wish that they do not play with whole Chuck’s parenthood story again pls no! İts so lame! İt was enough that they have made her mom zombie!! Scaly uncle is better story and i hope they dont ruin it! Thx for the scoop! Always welcome desmond and jack bass. Love Chuck and Jack interactions hehe. Ed and Desmond are awesome. İ have enjoyed last season so much! İt was a great turn out-twist and i hope they continue like that! İ am also happy he will stick more than one episode this time and it will be fun yayyyyyyyy! So exited!

Comment by Donna – January 12, 2012 10:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Awesome that Jack is coming back and it means a Chuck storyline! Now we need Blair involved in the story!

Comment by MSC – January 12, 2012 11:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Finally something to look forward too! Jack is an awesome character, last season I loved that comedic side he had and previously I loved to hate him. If he isn’t coming back to torture Chucksomemore then I’m happy, although when I see the word fun I think about how Josh Safran thought this season was fun and I am filled with dread.

Comment by Mia – January 12, 2012 11:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Getting a Chuck/Jack takedown is the 2nd best thing to getting a Chuck and Blair reunion. YES!

Comment by Marice – January 12, 2012 11:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • YAY for the Basstard coming back. Glad he and Chuck are not going to be antagonistic. It was time to move on from that story. I’m happy you guys were able to stop the Ban pimping long enough to talk about someone else’s Gossip Girl storyline for once.

Comment by Jana – January 12, 2012 11:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • OMG yes!!! Uncle Jack is back! His scenes with Chuck and Nate in 4.21 were hilarious! No more villainous Jack please!

Comment by Zari – January 12, 2012 11:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Jack is a good villain. Looking forward to it

Comment by Svenja – January 12, 2012 03:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Great news, love what his character brings to the show, drama, drama, drama and if it is going to fun and twisty even better.

Comment by Soph – January 12, 2012 04:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • He is the reason I watch gossip girl!!! can’t wait! Brilliant actor and gorgeous!!

Comment by Bella – January 12, 2012 04:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • for me it was obvious that Chuck wouldn’t die ’cause GG it’s nothing (in my opinion)without Chuck and Blair and the producers aren’t idiot to kill something which gives much audience

Comment by Bianca – January 12, 2012 06:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Just put uncle Jack with Blair again…to spite all of the whiney ChuckNuts on this site.

Comment by Jason – January 13, 2012 08:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post