12 Scoopy Bits on CBS' Monday Sitcoms HIMYM, Half Men, 2 Broke Girls and Mike & Molly

The cast and producers from CBS’ red-hot comedy quadruple threat of Two and a Half Men, How I Met Your Mother, 2 Broke Girls and Mike & Molly met with journalists Wednesday at the Television Critics Association’s winter press tour, and here are the 12 juiciest spoilers TVLine walked away with.

Mike & Molly
* Producers all but confirmed that Melissa McCarthy and Billy Gardell’s characters will tie the knot during May sweeps.

Two and a Half Men
* Ashton Kutcher, who initially signed a one-year “test deal” with Men, is very open to returning next fall. “I have a couple of features I want to do during the hiatus,” he says, “and right now I am looking at it as a hiatus. I’m having a lot of fun. I’m interested in doing more.” Translation: Show him the $$$, CBS.
* Kutcher’s extreme makeover — the actor trotted out a newly shorn, clean-shaven appearance (see image above) — was storyline-motivated. “[Producers] wrote an [episode] that dictated that I cut my hair and shave my beard,” he said, adding, “Watch on Monday.”

2 Broke Girls
* Series creator Michael Patrick King made no apologies for the show’s low-brow humor during a needlessly combative, painfully tense and frequently awkward 25-minute tussle with reporters. “The show is sophisticated and naughty and I think everyone likes a good naughty joke,” he argued. “I feel no need to pull away from the brand of 2 Broke Girls, which is basically ballsy, in-your-face and hopefully funny.”
* Don’t look for Max and Caroline to get a sudden influx of cash and open their dream cupcake bakery anytime soon. “One of the important realities of 2 Broke Girls is the word broke,” said King. “And we try to deal [realistically] with how much money moves through their life. I don’t foresee a way the girls could raise $350,000 in a season [and open a bakery]. I don’t foresee them leaving the diner. I like them in the diner.”
* Regarding the at times very strong chemistry between Max and Caroline, King said, “We make nothing but jokes about [lesbians]; we’re building a love story, not a sexual love story.”
* Elaborating on the previously announced casting of Jennifer Coolidge, who makes her debut on Jan. 16, King said, “[She] is joining us for a whole bunch of episodes playing a character named Sophie Kerchinsky, a hard-working Polish woman who lives upstairs [from Max and Caroline].”

How I Met Your Mother
* “It’s not a high priority for us,” exec producer Carter Bays said of setting an end date to the series (which has already been renewed through the 2012-13 season). “I think we’re keeping it undecided as for now.” He then confirmed that Ted meeting his future wife “will be part of the end game of the show. How much the show will go on beyond that, we can’t say.” (He later noted that there are 18 dangling threads that need to be tied up prior to the series finale.)
* HIMYM recently surpassed Buffy as Alyson Hannigan’s longest-running series. “We just did our 150th, and I did 144 episodes of Buffy,” she said. “It’s weird [and] fantastic.”
* During February sweeps, Ted will take stock of where he is in his life and what changes he needs to make to find The One (a.k.a. The Mother). “He’s going to come up with what he thinks is the answer, and then we’re going to explore whether it is the right answer for him,” said Bays. “There’s big soul-searching stuff coming up for Ted in Episode 16, 17, and 18.”
* When in doubt about what exactly is transpiring on screen, trust Future Ted. “[He's] a pretty reliable narrator,” said Bays. “People can trust what Bob Saget says.”
* Marshall and Lily’s move to the ‘burbs is “not necessarily a permanent stop,” said fellow EP Craig Thomas. “It’s a real identity crisis when you have a baby, and moving into the suburbs was part of that for Marshall and Lily.”

1. Amanda says:

Michael Patrick King sounds like a huge d-bag

• Peter says:

I still can’t get over the sophisticated line. I mean, it is clear that TV can find a place for some less well-received humor but don’t call it sophisticated.

2. Todd says:

Does anyone really care who the mother is on HIMYM??? I find it by far the least interesting storyline & I tend to fast forward thru that storyline.

• Rock Golf says:

If this show goes on much longer, they’ll be able to cast Lyndsy Fonseca (who played Ted’s daughter in the 2030 retellings) as her own mother.

• Tavia says:

I know that since the Stella years, Ted has been my least favorite character. I’m far more invested in the other 4 than I am in Ted and the mother. I don’t even really remember much about what Ted is doing most of the time. He is much better when he’s not whining about finding true love. I personally am a huge fan of Drunk Ted and that’s about it.

3. Archie says:

Part of the end game? I am assuming no sign of the mother for now. Frankly if this drags on for years with no sight of the mother people are going to stop watching.

But the mythology is also really interesting. I now want to go back and figure out that the 18 hanging threads are!

• Brendan says:

I really don’t get why this bugs people so much. Yes, the title of the show would make you think that it’s important, but really the mother isn’t that central. It’s a show about five friends experiencing the middle part of their life together, most episodes have nothing to do with the mother storyline; it’s just an interesting runner that they pick up on every once in a while. The longer they drag it out, the longer the show runs. I’m still thoroughly enjoying it, so that’s just fine with me.

• Elizabeth says:

I don’t watch to find out who the mother is and if you do, you’ve missed a pretty solid sitcom in the process…

• Ariane says:

There are two big problems here. Problem #1 is that the lack of a “Mother” is now interfering with the plot of the show. Ted has become a rather pathetic character, the least interesting character on the show frankly, and the failure to meet the mother bit is getting old. Hopefully the “soul searching” episodes talked about will change the character. Problem #2 is that the show is being told in 2030 to children around 16 years old (somewhere in the 14 to 17 year range anyways). Do the math and they need to be born in a couple of years. Add in a year of courtship and a year of marriage before having kids, and the Mother needs to be met this season.

• Jodes says:

You forget, this is Ted. He told Robin he loved her on their first date. He doesn’t need the year of courtship and marriage before having kids. I could see Ted married and his wife pregnant within a month of meeting the mother. That’s just the way Ted is. But yes, Ted does need to become more interesting. I loved “drunk Ted” on the last episode — he was actually very funny and interesting.

4. Michael says:

I’ve never gotten offended by 2 Broke Girls but can understand what the reporters are saying; though, MPK is right: it ain’t broke, so why fix it? That said, sometimes the show tries to insult too hard that doesn’t add any comedy.

• Danielle H says:

This.
      People get offended WAY too easily. I like it’s brashness. America just needs to calm the heck down.

• darklady65 says:

ITA -_-

• fen says:

In the UK these people are called Daily Mail readers – a newspaper where the terms, ‘spell check’, ‘grammar’ and ‘research’ are foreign to the ‘writers’. However, their ‘readers’ are offended, or disgusted. Basically you will always get your Ms. ‘Offended’, Sidcup, Kent or Ms. ‘Offended’, New York.

Is 2 broke girls racist? If you took Ms. ‘offended’ POV then yes. If you took the POV of anyone with a vague sense of humor, then no.

• Drew says:

I say THIS because I am a Dbag

• ElKabong says:

I’m not offended by the risque nature of the content. However, I am offended to share a planet with people that think 2 Broke Girls is funny. The show is just awful. It makes Terrance and Phillip look like Arrested Development.

• Rita says:

Go join NASA then. They can fix your problem.

• hm says:

Get over yourself. You obviously have never been broke, if you had you would see the humor.

• Ava says:

I am currently broke and don’t really think it’s very funny. I don’t like that the show is built around two girls who seem to barely tolerate one another except at the end of the episode for an “Aw shucks we’re just girls being girls” moment of hugs and I’m sorries. The two episodes I’ve seen had the brunette yelling at the blonde, the blonde being an optimistic idiot, and then the brunette saying she was sorry and maybe the blonde had a point. Formulaic and a bad stereotype of female relationships to portray. Women can be friends without being mean to each other.

• darklady65 says:

i 2nd the get over yourself comment -_-

• Michael says:

I wanted to like the show, but it really isn’t very funny. It’s kind of like The Big Bang Theory for me. I can watch it and it’s occasionally funny, but usually not.

5. Deena says:

I think many still care who the mother is and I think they’re dragging it out too much. Ted is only getting older, they can’t play with it too long. Or is Ted in his 60’s when he tells his kids the story?

• Rock Golf says:

The kids in 2030 are at least in their mid-teens, which means they need to be born by 2015 at the latest. That’s only 3 years away. Ted’ll need to knock somebody up in the next two years.

6. Lynnette says:

I think you need a better proofreader! I’m looking for a new job if you’re interested:-)

7. Lauren says:

I do too. I can think of a few off the top of my head (just the ones where Future Ted says “We’ll get to that… “), but 18 is a lot!!

8. chris says:

HOW I MET YOUR MOTHER is severely over-rated and over-hyped. How this crap has lasted all these years is truly one of the biggest mysteries since the Zodiac killer. It’s not even remotely funny. I’ve watched it many times and just don’t get it. PSYCH is much funnier and MIKE and MOLLY is more romantic than this supposed “romantic comedy.” And Ms Hanigan, as much as I love you, BUFFY was iconic, this crap is a great check for you and let’s leave it at that.

• Ariel says:

So true. So very very true.

• lacey says:

aw people give alyson a break. I think we should give her credit for being in two very long running shows, both of which are successful in their own right. Whether it is a half hour show or one full hour, an episode is an episode. I don’t think she means to say anything negative for her past experiences in Buffy. You can tell she enjoys the characters she’s played or is playing in both shows.

• 2shy says:

HIMYM was funny in its first four seasons and now it is just pathetic. The reason it has lasted so long is because the fans thought the creators had actual plans for the show. But, the show was hilarious and now has ha-ha moments every few episodes, but it was not as terrible as you tried to make it out to be.

9. TC says:

Kutcher can die a million deaths for all I care. (Talentless. Hack.)

Leave 2 Broke Girls alone.. funniest show on TV.. but no.. let’s turn it into Modern Family 2 because that’s a complete piece of drivel.

10. tristram says:

HIMYM is only a half hour show, Alyson. Buffy was an hour long show. Buffy still wins.

11. Karrie says:

HIMYM has certainly lived past it’s time…. cancel it and put it out of it’s misery! It’s awful!

Thank God the producers made Ashton cut his hair and shave!

• KSM says:

10M people a week disagree with you, so I don’t think it is going anywhere anytime soon.

• Brendan says:

You go ahead and not watch it, nobody’s making you. Meanwhile, leave the rest of us that are still enjoying it alone?

• Dash says:

Last season of HIMYM had some of the best episodes of the series. Rewatch it. HIMYM is one of those shows that is much better when viewed the second time when you know where the season is going. Dexter is also like this. You can’t judge a season based on the individual episodes but on how they fit as a whole. HIMYM told a cohesive story last season about the growing of the main characters. Most of them jumped through huge hurdles of adulthood (Marshall losing his dad, Ted getting a big architecture job, M&L going through fertility issues and eventually finding out they were having a baby) and they did all of that while still managing to be heartfelt and funny.

12. Foghorn says:

Totally agree. This show has dragged on the “mystery” far too long that most people just don’t care anymore.

And that’s a death knell for a tv show.

13. Toto says:

Totally stoked to see Ashton all cleaned up. His childlike side has become very endearing and such a welcome change from the jaded Charlie. Yaaaaaayyyy!

14. Cloudy Knight says:

HIMYM is fine. Don’t like it, don’t watch it, but as far as I’m concerned this show is hitting on all cylinders. The 18 hanging threads make it a joy to watch over the long haul, but each episode is funny as stand-alone comedy. The characters are interesting and show personal growth from season to season, and the overall conceit of being the story that Ted is telling his children in 2030 is very clever. Rock golf is right though. Ted needs to meet the mother by the end of next season if they’re going to sync up with the kids being 15 years old in 2030. Unless he gets her pregnant on the third date or something. That would be an interesting twist, but I’m not sure it would be an appropriate story to tell one’s children.

• Brendan says:

THIS.
      I don’t think the age of the kids will be too much of an issue, though. I think season 9 or 10 will be the last, so that would be 2014-2015. Maybe the kids just look a little old for their ages… I’m okay with any excuse that gets us a couple more seasons :)

15. Josh says:

I don’t get why How I Met Your Mother’s EP is promoting the whole “We have 18 dangling threads to close”. That’s not good. Even Lost had to close threads. And here is the thing…Lost was well written drama with complex characters. How I Met Your Mother is a show which alternates from being incredibly funny to just plain bad(never horrible..but sometimes it’s more cringe worthy then funny). The show could benefit from closing some dangling threads and concentrate on laughs and the excellent characters they have.

16. John says:

I am not offended by 2 Broke Girls and the blatant use of racial stereotypes. I am more disappointed. I think when you rely on that stuff it seems kind of lazy. I was looking forward to a smarter show than 2 Broke Girls has shown itself to be.

17. a-me says:

i cant stand two broke girls. the main reason is because max has nothing but one liners. i liked it at first but seriously? one liners *all* the time? the show wont last long if they dont change that format. it will begin to annoy others as well.

as for two and half men – its down around 3-4 mil viewers in a few weeks… people are starting to finally wake up. ashton is a pathetic POS in RL and on the show.

18. Svenja says:

I am glad that the suburbs won’t be a permanent location for Lilly and Marshall. They belong to NYC!!
    You can raise a baby there, too.

19. Christine says:

I completely agree! This show is so far from being sophisticated or high brow. It’s dumb and predictable and worst of all it’s not funny.

This guy seems to be under the impression that he’s reinventing the comedy, but all he’s doing is telling the same jokes we’ve been hearing for years.

20. Chrissy says:

This exactly why I stopped watching 2 Broke Girls. No one talks the way Max talks and on top of it bring unrealistic the jokes aren’t funny. I feel like most of the lines/jokes on this show should be coming out of a 13 year old boys mouth.
    I know everyone has their own opinion but I prefer something a little more mature.

21. CJ says:

Ashton Kutcher’s haircut makes him look soooo much like Gale Harold!

22. I hate Chris says:

Ummmm Chris no one cares what you think. This is one of the most popular sitcoms on television, and clearly you lack a sense of humor. This show is funny, creative, and original and keeps us on the edge of our seats at the same time. It has the perfect balance between comedic elements and dramatic, real scenes. It is my favorite show ever.