Ratings: Work It Sags, Parenthood and Body of Proof Tick Up

The numbers for ABC’s Work It were less pretty in Week 2, as the freshman series plunged 20 percent to 5.1 million total viewers and a 1.6 rating — this while lead-in Last Man Standing held rather steady (with 7.9 mil and a 2.2).

On the up side this Tuesday were the 10 o’clock hour’s also-rans. Placing (an albeit distant) second behind Unforgettable, Body of Proof (6.92 mil/1.6) ticked up a tenth in the demo, as did Parenthood (4.84 mil/1.8). (How good was Courtney Ford on P’hood? That show seriously elevates everyone it touches.)

Elsewhere on this rather uneventful Tuesday:

* NCIS proper (20.9 mil/4.1) added a few more eyeballs week-to-week, while NCIS: LA (16.8 mil/3.3) dipped 6 percent in the demo. ALERT! Got questions about either NCIS show? Email mattmtvguy@gmail.com, pronto!

* The Biggest Loser was totally flat at 6.6 mil/2.4.

* ABC’s Celebrity Wife Swap (5.24 mil/2.1) in Week 2 dropped 12 percent in total audience, but held onto its demo rating.

* The aforementioned Unforgettable (11.25 mil/2.2) dropped 15 percent in the demo.

Hot for Winter: Your January Premieres, Returns and Finales Calendar

What were you tuned into this Tuesday?

1. Nick says:

Poor Rebecca Mader…. she deserves better.

• DreamRose311 says:

Yeah, watched the first episode just to see what it was like, and she came on screen, and I went “What?! WHY” so… I guess I’ll watch it till it gets the inevitable axe just for her :o)

• Viv says:

I have a feeling that ABC isn’t going to cancel Work It until all of the episodes have aired. I swear they don’t want to admit they made a mistake benching Cougar Town. It’s like aBC is throwing a tantrum and trying to convince everyone they are right and we are all wrong. ABC, ih we just tell you that we think you’re right, will you bring Cougar Town back?

2. Elizabeth says:

Yay! Time for the return of Cougar Town! C’mon ABC!

3. Boiler says:

Can someone explain why anybody watches celebrity wife swap????

4. Saint Alicia says:

Yay, NCIS hits 20 million again!
    Last night’s ep was great; Ziva kicked Ray to the curb AND punched him (was expecting a slap, but a punch is more her style ;)), Gibbs was there to support her (just adore their father-daughter moments) and of course plenty of “Tiva” to go around. All steps in the right direction; thank you NCIS writers!

5. Lil Jo says:

OK I’m sorry, I read that line on Biggest Loser REAL quick and swore it said
    “The Biggest Loser was totally fat…”

I know that’s horrible, but I did!

6. macontosh2000 says:

Why would anyone put themselves through another episode of Work It?

7. Eli says:

Courtney Ford was awesome on P’hood! She was actually believable as a cello player (cellist?), especially the part at the end where she was tapping the instrument while playing it, totally realistic to me.

And is it just me or is P’hood becoming the home for all hot young brunettes in Hollywood (C. Ford, Minka Kelly, Rosa Salazar, Alexandra Daddario to name a few).

8. Alex says:

C’mon, people! Body of Proof is a great show. :) Give it a chance!

9. ollie says:

ok abc do you finally get it we want our cougar town back. i fear the longer its off air its going to lose viewers or be treated the same as better off ted or men in trees.

10. Joyce Klowan says:

Cant understand why Parenthood not a top ten show. Best series on TV. Other than sports & news, only one I never miss.

11. Svenja says:

So incredibly happy about NCIS.
    They deserve the ratings. Best show on television

12. ollie says:

* and countless other shows abc has done that to*

13. Mcat says:

I’m not a Tiva fan or a Ziva fan (though I used to be a HUGE fan of both before season 6), but I actually found the Tony/Ziva scenes in this episode rather touching and good because they actually seemed like FRIENDS. That’s been rare lately. I don’t want a romance between them, but a close friendship would be adorable and amazing and friendships between the characters are seriously lacking on this show in the past few seasons.

Though I have to say, I HATE how Gibbs acts with Ziva. It seriously bugs me that Gibbs treats his male co-workers with respect (most of the time) but his female co-workers (Ziva and Abby) as children that need his protection and apparently his inappropriate touches.

• Saint Alicia says:

Gibbs treats male co-workers with respect but not the females… Um, what??
      Though it’s all pretty much inappropriate touching, there’s no more respect/disrespect given to the men than the women.
      The guys (except for the few Ziva received in the early days) get headslaps; mostly Tony, but McGee and Palmer have been on the receiving end as well, while Abby and Ziva get hugs and forehead/cheek kisses. It’s rather obvious Gibbs views them like his kids and his actions are a sign of affection. I don’t think that’s disrespectful; they’re like a surrogate family for each other.

• Mcat says:

You’re right that Gibbs doesn’t treat any of his underlings with respect, male or female. But I just feel it’s more exaggerated with the women. The women are more like children that he feels he can hug and kiss and rub their neck whenever he wants. The men he’s mostly distant from, aside from the occasional headslap (but those don’t even really happen anymore, do they?)
        I think I’m just sad that NCIS is so bad at writing female characters. Especially because they used to be so awesome at it. In the first few seasons, Abby was written as a brilliant and quirky adult ; she’s now written as a hyperactive child. Ziva was written as a tough, spunky, and witty woman ; now she’s lost the spunk and the wit and the hilarious fun-loving spark and has turned harsh and cold.
        I don’t know. This is all my opinion, of course, and I respect that you have different views. :)

14. Grey says:

Looks like Work It will be pulled next wednesday (the 18th)

Cougar Town will be back February 7th. February 21st would be the worst case scenario

15. kevin says:

Really want to see WORK IT get canceled so bad, it’s 100% awful. Last night’s NCIS saw a true love triangle in its midst, LL Cool J rock another great performance in the latest NCIS: LA episode and PARENTHOOD once again proves that Season Three is still the best.

16. Jenn says:

I think ABC was hoping the controversy around Work It would bring in ratings. Problem is, it’s just not funny. Blatant sexism and tired old jokes about transvestites just aren’t bringing in the crowds like they did in the 50s.

17. Alicia says:

NCIS doesn’t deserve those ratings because is a terrible show. The writing and the acting suck. I only watched NCIS for Enrique Murciano, but his talent was wasted on such a bad show. He’s too good an actor, he deserves better. I’ll never watch this show again.

18. Linda says:

Glad to see Body of Proof was up. I am hoping against hope it will be renewed for next year. I love this series and have been a fan of Delaney’s work since her China Beach days.

Coming in second in the time slot isn’t that bad.

19. Danielle H says:

Last night’s Work It was much funnier then the pilot. The scene w/ Lee going back to the doctor to pitch the drugs in a thong made me laugh out loud actually. It’s not perfect, and I don’t necessarily want it to stick around, but I think everyone needs to chill and quit playing into the hype of everyone screaming “It sucks, you need to agree w/ us!”.
    People need to watch and think up their own opinions, is all I’m saying.

• Erin says:

I watched it. I made up my own mind. It was terrible.

• voice of reason says:

i watched for five whole minutes before i wanted to go postal on ABCs entire creative department. Trust, the people complaining about this dreck are not just lemmings. it truly is THAT bad. i didn’t see the second episode but just what you describe is enough to show why people don’t like it. why would this guy need to wear a thong to sell drugs? was the doctor looking under his skirt? cause i would think that would be another problem. was it to make the guy feel more sexy so he could flirt better with the doctor? right. bc we can believe that a doctor wouldn’t notice that this is a guy. the premise made no sense. the jokes make no sense. you’d have to have lived under a rock to find this show funny. it deals with cliches, bad stereotypes and plotlines that dont just require you to suspend disbelief, they just flat out don’t make sense!

20. Ruth says:

I love Parenthood. One of the best shows on television. I make sure to watch it every week.

21. kikay says:

PARENTHOOD! Seriously NBC needs to promote it more. Aside from their Thursday TV comedy lineup the show is the only other bright spot for NBC. Wonderful cast and wonderful writing…

• nn says:

people that want to watch parenthood are watching it already. the rest of us just don’t care! this is it’s, what, third season now? if we haven’t found it interesting yet, why would we find it interesting now? i’m glad you like it, but there’s no reason why everyone should feel as you do. different strokes, for different folks.

• Kristina says:

I didn’t discover Parenthood until the end of season 2 and went back over the summer and watched all of seasons 1 & 2. I am a huge fan now. I’m sure I’m not the first person to start watching a show after it’s been on a while, and I’m know I won’t be the last.

22. sarah says:

I love Parenthood…it is the show that I watch on NBC!!! Very happy it got an increase in viewers lets hope it keeps happening!!!

23. Melinda says:

Parenthood has been great since the beginning. It has never, never been promoted by NBC and is finally getting a larger audience by word of mouth. Hopefully they’ll keep it on the air.

24. cher says:

Yay for NCIS! Liked the episode and the great bonds that the team have together. Nice to see the great relationship between Tony and Ziva growing. They don’t need to be put together as a couple. This epi just confirms that they have a strong understanding of one another and have each other’s backs. Sometimes that is enough. I’m satisfied with how it played out. Gibbs being there for Ziva and only supporting her as she requests showed the respect and love that he has for her and the rest of his surrogate family.

25. fernando says:

Body of Proof was up in the demo but did poorly in the ratings 6 million come on, this show use to make 9 million, where are all the fans, its a great show, I love that it mostly focuses on the medical and crime part of the show not like other shows that are too into the personal lives of each person on the show. Dana Delany is wonderful as Megan Hunt, I love seeing Megan every week on my tv. This show deserve a season 3 and maybe a night change, ill say move it to sundays or thursday before Grey’s

26. CJ says:

Courtney Ford was incredible on Parenthood! I hope she sticks around for a while. LOVE that show!!!

27. vane says:

I love work it come on people give it a chance

28. Jules says:

Seriously,it’s easy when y don’t have any competitors…but it’s ridiculous to said that NCIS deserve thoses ratings…
    Samo,samo each week, some losers suddenly find a body,then Gibbs and his looney gang investigate/track the real killer……zzzzzzzzz!
    (same with Bones=predictable)
    Ok they been in the shadow of CSI Vegas until Grissom (blank on actor name,sorry) exit
    Then after season 6,Bang! Now #1
    But I try so many times,and respect MHarmon, for me it dosent work at all …but like any old series…at one point it’s time to end…

29. Jules says:

Me again…
    Now they at ssn9… I hope they can manage to finish/end properly and realistically….
    But can they(CBS)venting to be best thing On tv…enough…and not true…

30. Eve says:

I really get tired of people who yammer on about how boring NCIS is or how they hate it, or it doesn’t deserve the ratings, or it’s “predictable”. Blah, blah blah. Don’t like it? Don’t watch it–and spare the fans who DO watch it your whiny nattering-because if anything is predictable–it’s the same old comments. Talk about zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz!

• voice of reason says:

I understand your frustration but 1. i think everyone is entitled to voice their opinions whether it be positive or negative. what would be the point of forums where everyone just circle jerked about how much they love their favorite show. i do prefer for people to make intelligent comments and not just “x show sucks or x show is awesome”, however. AND 2. i think people complain about shows like NCIS as a response to the crazy rabidity of some of its fans! I get that people like it, but i’ve caught a couple of eps and see nothing to get up in arms about. Nothing to have a burning question or desire to see the next week about. it’s like television lite. the kind of tv people like, precisely because they DON’T have to be too invested in it. So it’s weird that so many people ARE. It’s like saying “I can’t wait to see what happens on next weeks SVU”, which can be solid entertainment, but doesn’t have a huge overarching storyline to provoke that kind of interest. to each his own, but that’s the intelligent rationale. sorry if my thought out response bores you!

31. kjess says:

At least it’s encouraging that Parenthood gained a little in the ratings, considering that in New England (or at least MA and NH), it was aired at 2:05am due to primary coverage!

32. Another country heard from.... says:

I can see why some long time fans of a show get irritated with some of the comments made here. I’ve read comments from a certain little gaggle (and one fan in particular) who not only trash the show and certain characters, but also spew out the wrong facts and make racist comments. Yet, if that falls under the “voicing their opinions” they can spew out their inaccurate venom with no restraints. Sorry to disagree, but I’m on the “don’t like it, don’t watch it and stop trashing it” side. It’s extremely rude to go to a forum that fans gather to share their thoughts about a show they truly like and then proceed to trash the show. You don’t have to like a show and express that thought–but rude, racist, inaccurate and nasty comments–just shows how little class you have. Rude is rude.