People's Choice Awards 2012: Three Best and Worst Moments, Plus the Full List of Winners

Tuning in to the People’s Choice Awards requires an automatic suspension of shouting “Aw hell no!” After all, placing the power in the hands of “the people” — or rather, rewarding the movies and TV shows with the most mouth-foamingly rabid fan bases — can lead to awkward moments like Robert Pattinson walking to the podium to collect the trophy for Best Drama Movie (for the moderately received Water for Elephants) and wondering aloud, “I don’t know why they asked me to accept it.” (Um, because you’re hot, and you’re there, and the Twilight fans didn’t vote to see director Francis Lawrence.)

And that’s why it’s best to not take the festivities — hosted by a very game, funnier-than-her-cue-cards Kaley Cuoco — too, too seriously. Take Nathan Fillion’s totally awesome acceptance speech for Favorite TV Drama Actor, which referenced the big glass statuette in his hand: “Let this giant crystalized tear of victory be a symbol of your excellent taste!” Or Zachary Levi, who took his opportunity as a presenter to sport an indubitably jaunty blue-and-green plaid suit with white shirt and gold tie. Outstanding!

Below, check out my picks for the three best and three worst moments from the two-hour telecast, followed by a full list of the winners (including those not announced on air).

THREE BEST MOMENTS
3) Neil Patrick Harris tries to hijack the show | Following a funny pre-taped Big Bang Theory lead-in (and an introduction as “the blonde bimbo from that sitcom”), Cuoco engaged in a delighful battle with awards-show/song-and-dance junkie Harris, tearing open his tuxedo to reveal a blue sequined top. “I’m in a 12-step program, but I’m only on step 5…6, 7, 8!” Harris pleaded, before Cuoco had the How I Met Your Mother star (and his backup dancers) escorted out by security.

2) Judd Apatow and Maya Rudolph accepting Best Comedy Movie for Bridesmaids | Apatow brutally skewered a ridiculous (and ridiculously long) product-placement segment that preceded his win by thanking CVS pharmacy in his speech, and then adding, “I just feel like going there right now. I don’t know why.” After that, he recited the lyrics to Wilson Phillips’ “Hold On,” before Rudolph took over, then led the movie’s cast to a rousing sing-along finish.

1) Cuoco visits the set of Parks and Recreation | I howled with laughter during a pre-taped bit featuring Cuoco unearthing the hidden talents of the cast of NBC’s Parks and Recreation. Aziz Ansari rocking the hell out of a suit. Adam Scott destroying a laptop computer with a hammer. Rob Lowe proving he can make any woman fall in love with him. And — most hideously hilarious — Aubrey Plaza and Chris Pratt attempting a sword-swallowing routine for the very first time. “He’s so relaxed,” Plaza cooed as she force-fed the blade into Pratt’s mouth. “Not after I tickle him, though.” Cue blood splatter, and cue the fits of laughter.

THREE WORST MOMENTS
3) Sharon Osbourne presenting the Favorite Daytime TV Host Award | I’m not sure if she wrote her own lines or just read what was on the teleprompter, but Osbourne’s relentless complaning about not being nominated in the category for The Talk alongside Ellen DeGeneres, Rachael Ray, and Regis & Kelly was a clear embarrassment for co-presenter Jesse Tyler Ferguson, and for the home viewing audience.

2) Adam Sandler’s accepts the award for Favorite Comedy Actor | Sandler, using his patented idiot voice, gave an interminable speech thanking his teachers through the years. “Mrs. Really Old Lady With a Bad Wig Who Died Halfway Through Second Grade,” “shop teacher Mr. Nofingers,” and “art teacher Miss Never-wore-a-bra” were just a few of his punchlines that flopped harder than frozen turkies off a diving board. When you can’t get a laugh from the People’s Choice audience, it might be time to hang up your standup mic.

1) Aggressive product placement throughout the telecast | It was painful enough sitting through packages about Honey Bunches of Oats fueling the nomination announcement breakfast and Pantene sponsoring the “Statuettes,” a group of glamorously coiffed models who were hired to “present and protect the coveted People’s Choice trophies.” But a long, grotesque segment about backstage correspondent SuChin Pak getting a visit from the CVS Pharmacy Beauty Club was about as welcome as a thick clump of hair clogging your shower drain.

The Winners Are…

MUSIC (non-televised)
Favorite Male Artist: Bruno Mars
Favorite Female Artist: Katy Perry
Favorite Song of the Year: “E.T.,” Katy Perry featuring Kanye West
Favorite Hip-Hop Artist: Eminem
Favorite Country Artist: Taylor Swift
Favorite Music Video: Katy Perry, “Last Friday Night”
Favorite Tour Headliner: Katy Perry

1. Jenny says:

“Neil Patrick Harris, The Big Bang Theory”

Huh?

2. Sophie says:

It was a horrible show :(

• Kim R says:

It wasn’t great, was it? I am not an Osbourne fan but I YouTubed the presentation of Sharon and Jesse & I didn’t take it that Jesse was uncomfortable, I took it as part of the schtick.
      I do wonder who exactly is voting in reading the winner’s list. It must be young people. Glad for Castle. Can’t believe NCIS was not nominated for anything considering its popularity. And although Water for Elephants was a lovely movie, I’m not sure it was better than The Help! Twilight fans… :)

3. CandyMaize says:

Your list doesn’t include that #Supernatural also won for Favorite Network TV Drama … of course, anyone watching the show would not know that since the PCAs decided to announce/award it during the Red Carpet Coverage instead of during the actual show that was broadcast.

• Jenn says:

Actually.. it’s there. It’s listed under TV non televised.

• Charissa says:

It probably wasn’t there when CandyMaize posted that comment. The untelevised categories were added later, because they weren’t there when I originally checked last night.

4. Toni-ann C says:

How about Supernatural being snubbed out of recognition when they won TWO AWARDS, one of them being Favorite TV Drama, beating out Emmy nominated shows!!!! Disgusted.

• Alrisha says:

That was the worst of all night. How could they just not show in air Favorite TV Drama? since when is that a minor category, not worth for recognizing?

• TV Gord says:

Since this is one of those fake awards shows where everyone knows in advance that they’ve won, they likely didn’t make it to the broadcast because no one from the cast agreed to go and pick up their bogus trophy.

• SueP says:

According to crew tweets, they would have gone but weren’t invited. Plus, even if they did attend they were told in advance their categories were not going to be telecast. So yeah, I would call that a snub.

• Winchester says:

PCA & CBS better have an entire hour dedicated to Supernatural and its casts awesomeness for making up for this travesty!! This was absolutely the worst excuse ever! I bet if anybody other than Spnl had won, they’d have done a 15-min segment on that show! Spnl won for a reason and that reason is – the writers and cast work their asses off to make every episode fantastic! Some of the episodes are tv’s finest episodes in history!
      Supernatural won TWO awards, including Best Drama and Best Sci-Fi, and didn’t get an invite? This is the most under appreciated show on the air right now and it deserved its screen time (not even airing the “thank you” video during the ceremony? Seriously?). You have rubbed this fandom the wrong way PCA! If you say we are rabid, so be it! I’m a rabid fan for the best show on television (PS: I’m a guy who isn’t attracted to the hotness of the leads, but to their amazing acting abilities, just to be clear)

• Charles says:

Also, don’t forget that Supernatural was snubbed in 2010 too when it won Best Fantasy/Sci-Fi genre, while Best Drama was given air time. This is the second time PCA’s have shown the middle finger to the Supernatural fandom. I hate them from the bottom of my heart.

• Caroline says:

SHAME ON YOU, PCA!

Supernatural won 2 times and you didn’t invite them??
          Come on!!!
          Be a better award. Shame on you.

• MissKayle says:

Thank you for saying what I was thinking the whole night!! It’s pretty pathetic that the People’s Choice couldn’t even air what people had to watch on the live stream of the red carpet. I mean really?! Instead of wasting everyone’s time with the stupid fillers they had, they couldn’t have shown the thank you video?! Especially when they beat out all those other shows. I was so ecstatic that they won, and so peeved that they didn’t show it. Who cares that they weren’t there! They still won a major category and should have had air time. (Okay, my rant is now over)
        I also completely agree with you about the show. It has phenomenal acting and writing and people who don’t watch it are really missing out. It really is, in my opinion, the most underrated show on television, but I will continue to be a religious watcher and follower of the show.

5. Bailey says:

Uh,,, NPH is not on TBBT.

6. Kara says:

Right on as usual. Cuoco did a good job delivering the, as usual, poorly written “jokes”. Fillion was great. Zachary was adorable. Sandler and Osbourne were painful.

• Aiden says:

I second that! I can always count on Michael Slezak’s review of a lighthearted, not-to-be-taken-seriously type of shows. And he pulled out the 3 most memorable moments real well!
      Absolutely enjoyed Zachary Levi’s jaunty little suit and matching silly fauxhawk, as well. He’s one of the few (including the always fun Kaley Cuoco) who committed to the silly presenters shtick and actually made their lines quite amusing. Also, Nathan Fillion’s last line for his acceptance speech was just golden.
      Agreed. Osbourne and Sandler’s time were awkward to watch…
      All in all, highly entertaining show still though. Definitely had some nice moments. Just super fun to see all the entertainers all in one place.

7. Sam says:

How about calling David Boreanaz a Forensic Anthropologist? They didn’t even say that for Emily – she was just a scientist. That is so far past being an honest mistake. It’s laughably sad and that combined with your #1 worst and a whole bunch of other moments further prove why the PCA are worthless.

8. RobThy says:

NPH is on How I Met Your Morher, not on The Big Bang Theory.

9. lauren says:

Agree w the moments for the most part, but NPH is on HIMYM not BBT.

10. Ryan says:

Lea Michele won her PCA (while trending for the FIFTH time today); Glee, Chris and Cory did not. The People have spoken.

11. Cori says:

NPH is on The Big Bang Theory now? ;)

12. Lisa says:

Another moment to add to the Worst list was the presenter for Best Actor in a Drama series mistakenly identifying David Boreanazs’ character on Bones as a Forensic Anthropologist instead of FBI Agent. Way to go PCA.

13. Ella says:

Hey, Castle and Nathan Fillion won…..everything else made zero sense to me

14. Sarah says:

As a loyal Supernatural fan I have to state that I am beyond upset that their win for Best TV Drama was not even mentioned. That was a major category. Bad/Sad decision choice. But go ahead and put commercials into your show before the actual commercials. SMART!! Congats to Supernatural, you have loyal fans. Best Sci-Fi and TV Drama!!! Well deserved.

• Alrisha says:

What about a Katy Perry winning everything and no recognizing? The show was Ok but far far away than good.
      Supernatural deserve so much love, but in every award they are lef begin and still 7 season and people continue voting for them. Love the show and hope someday this award note how wonderful and well writing, acting and directing is Supernatural. Never understad how Jensen Ackles never get even a nomination.

• jennrae says:

Katy Perry refused to show once Russell Brand was disinvited for the purpose of avoiding awkwardness. I’m sure that soured producers enough to not recognize her.

• Alrisha says:

The could mentioned Katy Perry won, like everything, so Harry Potter. This is about peoples’ choice so people wanna know is their votes won or not. Not cool what they did with Supernatural.

15. castlesaidso says:

I don’t think Neil Patrick Harris is from The Big Bang Theory ensemble….. Quite an error back there TVLine!! ^_^

16. tvaddict says:

Yay for Supernatural. The people did get that right. Even in its 7th season, its still one of the best shows on TV(and deserves more promotion/praise). Also happy for Nina Dobrev and Neil Patrick Harris.

17. Carrie says:

Woo hoo “Supernatural”!!

• Jenn says:

“mouth-foamingly rabid fan bases” hmmm.. do you think they’re talking about us? lol.. I think it’s ’cause we’re awesome :) Congratulations Supernatural!!!!!!

18. Suz says:

Pssst. NPH isn’t in The Big Bang Theory.

Also, anyone notice that David Boreanaz’s character was described as a forensic anthropologist? Whoops.

19. Ashley says:

My least favorite moment is when David Boreanaz’s character BOOTH was described as a forensic anthropologist. Fail. The PCA’s just irritated an entire fandom. I don’t care how many Castle fans voted, Bones is still #1 in my book.
    I also have to disagree with your Adam Sandler list. I work at a school, and I thought it was hilarious.

20. Alrisha says:

Entertaining show, I agree with you, Sharon Osbourne was embarrassing and so out of place.
    Neil Patrick Harris is for HIMYM.
    Bridesmaids best comedy, please that movie is not even funny, and water for elephant, somebody actually saw that movie?
    Love Nathan Fillon, he so deserve that award, he is the heart of Castle.

21. clarissa says:

Favorite TV Comedy Actor: Neil Patrick Harris, The Big Bang Theory???

22. Fernando says:

So happy for Pretty Little Liars and Hot In Cleveland, Revenge deserve best new drama

23. sally says:

Seriously??? Crybaby Kimmy won! I guess retarded people voted for her because they supposely “feel” sorry for her. Her lame show & everything. I’ve never seen an episode. I voted for the twins Tia & Tamera a bunch of times.

24. SW says:

I would just like to mention how Supernatural won for Favorite Network Drama (as well as Favorite Sci-Fi), which is one of the biggest awards, and neither you, nor CBS, acknowledged it, except for a pre-recorded acceptance video on the ONLINE red carpet. No one but us fans, and the cast and crew, will know about it, and it was a huge win for us. It’s unfortunate that television networks continue to snub Supernatural over and over, even when we win awards such as this one, just because it isn’t a cool, mega-hit TV show on one of the big networks. Every year they announce the winner of that category because it’s one of the more important ones, but because Supernatural won this year, they excluded it. I guarantee if one of the NBC, CBS, FOX or ABC shows had won, it would’ve been announced on the show. It’s ridiculous.

• tvaddict says:

I know! When will good shows on the CW(Supernatural, Vampire Diaries) actually be rewarded when they are better than some of the other crap on the “Big 4″ networks? It just makes me angry how Supernatural gets punished just because it is on CW.

• Alrisha says:

was so unfair they just go over Supernatural and don’t get it the important to this award. Was the worst of the night, even worst than Osborne and Sandler together.
      CW got really good show, TVD is even better than True Blood (and I like TB) but they never going accepted that. And for Supernatural, one of the best show in tv for a long time.

• Charles says:

I agree. PCA and CBS suck. PCA also snubbed Supernatural back in 2010 when it won Best Fantasy/Sci-Fi Show. I freaking hate the PCA’s.

25. Courtney says:

Plus Harry Potter won multiple other movie categories, best movie, best action movie, and fav cast ensemble!

26. Stephanie says:

I’m thrilled for Lea Michele, she deserved her win. As for Pop Artist, I was hoping Katy Perry would take it, I think she’s more talented than Demi Lovato

27. Linda says:

Worst moment was when they didn’t announce Supernatural as the winner in the TV Network Fav Drama category. If it’s time they have a problem with, they could cut a lot of their skits and shorten some speeches.

Poor Castle people, they didn’t even get to get on stage and make an acceptance speech for their win.

• MissKayle says:

^THIS
      I’m over the moon that Supernatural and Castle won, but the awards show was so poorly organized. I’m flabbergasted at the lack of recognition by the awards show for the, in my opinion, two most quality shows on television. It’s a darn shame.
      You took the words right out of my mouth Linda.

28. Jean says:

PCA didn’t spell Boreanaz correctly on list of nominees and they do not even know he is FBI? What a joke! Who would want to win an award when the peoples favorite celebrity is Kim Kardashian? David deserved the win. He is very humble of his success which makes him a winner in my book!

29. Lee says:

PCA = FAIL
    Failing to air Supernatural’s well deserved wins (that’s wins, plural) was the worst of the night. I will continue to support my favorites but will not watch the PCAs until those who made such a terrible decision are cancelled.

30. Debbie says:

Really???? First the show ignores Supernatural and now you do too????

31. karen says:

Who won best movie actor? I did not hear any announcement. And was Johnny Depp any where? did he win anything?
    Big waste of time…that thing about the cereal and also the one about CVS – ugh.

32. luisl says:

The Worst of all the night was Supernatural being snubbed!!!

YOU GUYS DIDN’T EVEN KNOW THEY WON TWO AWARDS!!!

Jared Padalecki and Jensen Ackled weren’t even invited!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

33. Luu says:

So glad that Nathan Fillion won. He’s just so awesome.
    Castle totally deserved the award too.

34. Nataree says:

Is this list complete, Pretty Little Liars also won an award?

35. Alicia says:

Is it just me or does CBS always end up ‘awarding’ the Best New Comedy & Drama to shows that premiered on their network that year? I’ve noticed this trend for a few years now. I will never believe that the people chose Person of Intreset as the best new Drama series, especially with break outs like Revenge, American Horror Story & Once Upon a Time. At least the presenters were varied across more networks this year!

36. Lisla says:

Excellent review. Tonight was inane, cringingly awful and RP’s haircut a criminal offence in its own right.

37. Dee says:

What a crock of s****t

Really, People’s Choice? Really?

The best drama on television is one of the biggest categories and for them not to even mention it was beyond pathetic.

I feel so, so bad for the cast and the crew.

The network faves were front and center of course. Screw the VD.

38. melanie says:

Personnally I think Once Upon a Time should’be won best new drama but….sigh….the people have spoken. These same people who chose 2 broke girls over new girl. Anywho, Congrats to Harry Potter for pretty much a sweep. 8 movies in and finally some recognition.

• A says:

I thought The Secret Circle should have won Fav. New TV Drama or Once Upon A Time or Revenge. I wasn’t expecting Person of Interest to win it. Same with 2 Broke Girls, I thought New Girl would have won instead. I would have liked it if Secret Circle and New Girl won in their categories. But interestingly enough, it was the the two new CBS shows that one.

39. Janine says:

WORST
    Harry Potter winning four awards and only one of them being televised with nobody from the cast there to accept.

That little girl winning the Favorite Actor under 25 catagory against the entire Harry Potter cast. I have never even heard of her. I can’t see how she would win even with the Potter fans split between four people to vote for in that catagorey

The fact the the winners for the “Best New Comedy” and “Best New Drama” were once again both CBS shows. I think everyone figured out those catagories were fixed last year when the poorely rated and recieved S@!# My Dad Says won only weeks before getting cancelled.

Bridesmades winning Best Comedy Movie. I agree with Alrisha. That film was not only not funny, it wasn’t even entertaining. I don’t understand why everybody made such a big deal about it. I haven’t met a single person who liked that movie.

Best
    The standing ovation Betty White got and her little modest speech about turning 90. I hope I can be like her when I reach that age.

Morgan Freemans speech about being an Icon. It was sweet and humble and funny, especially from a guy who literally was God.

• JJ says:

I was very disappointed by the awards that were not shown or even mentioned. Why bother having the categories if you don’t think they’re even worth mentioning during your telecast?

• Jenn says:

Agree. It’s disrespectful to the actors and the fans. Someone needs to take over organizing this awards show. it truly is one of the sloppiest televised awards show I’ve ever seen.

40. JJ says:

I was very disappointed by the lack of actual presenting of the awards. If you’re not going to show all of the categories then why have all of those awards for people to vote for?

I have been a fan of Supernatural from the beginning and was so excited when I heard they won for Favorite ‘Network’ Drama. It’s a recognition that they have worked hard for and by the end of the telecast was the only reason I was still watching just to see it announced. Then suddenly they announced Favorite Comedy and the credits were rolling.

I think it’s sad that because it isn’t a huge money maker with big name actors on a BIG network that they don’t get the recognition they should but instead we get a 10 minute CVS commercial via the PCAs. The actors play the parts so well and Jensen Ackles in my opinion is one of the best dramatic actors out there.

But hopefully they know (by how long the show has been supported) how much we appreciate their hard work and dedication to a show which I’m sure is a tough job most days. Well done Cast and Crew of Supernatural, keep up the excellent work!

41. AndyLuvr says:

Why do some of the “winners” act surprised? Aren’t the PCA winners notified in advance that they won in their category? At least that’s what I learned from Lisa Kudrow’s dearly departed HBO vehicle “The Comeback.”

42. Chris says:

Demi Lovato needs singing lessons. She hits so many notes off key it was horrible. I don’t care what excuse she gives, she shouldn’t sing without a lot of practice.

• marie says:

I so agree. I’m not really sure what Demi Lovato is famous for but this is the second time I heard her sing live (once on Dancing With the Stars) and she is terrible. She may be a lovely girl, but can’t sing at all. It was just painful to listen to.

• marauder says:

oh thank you. I’m so glad someone pointed this out. she was absolutely PAINFUL to listen to.

43. Kat says:

Harry potter rocked it!!!! :p

44. Chelle says:

Supernatural & their fans totally deserved recognition on the live show. This show is suppose to be the peoples choice & they won two categories. If they didn’t like that it beat some of their shows, then at least have J2 on as presenters and mention it that way. Supernatural and their fans were so wronged. I’m so putting this on the CW too. I bet if their precious Vampire Diaries beat Supernatural it would have been in the show. But no matter what they try to do TPTB can’t take away our wins, yes wins. Supernatural kicked them all in the ass again.

45. sherry shabatura says:

PCA If it a good show or someone good and they are not in the audiance you so know they are not going to win.

46. Ruth says:

Terribly disappointed with the show this year. A lot of very deserving shows/movies/actors who won awards got brushed to the side and not allowed to have their “moment in the spotlight”. In addition, the fans who worked hard to vote for their show weren’t able to enjoy the win, too! As for the Supernatural cast not even being invited to the show, I think this action is cause for review and that a BIG apology needs to be issued by PCA, CBS and the producers of the show to the fans and all involved with Supernatural. That was a totally unprofessional move on their part.

I also have noticed in the comments above that this over sight was applicable to this article. Now, I see that it has been corrected, but maybe a word concerning this over sight should be addressed, too.

47. LOL says:

JIMMY FALLON! Nice surprise.

48. Kaiulani says:

Water for Elephants best movie drama?!?! WTF?

• shaun says:

It was a good movie,so shut your gob!

• Fernanda says:

Better than The Help? I don’t think so. Check the awards and the caliber of actors in The Help… Fabulous Jessica Chastain,the very funny Emma Stone(who won two awards), Viola Davis, Octavia Spencer… need I go on?

49. Chelle says:

Watching the PCA live & why didn’t they have Jensen & Jared present instead of the Vampire Diaries boys & included them on the show that way to mention their wins? Supernatural beat TVD twice in the peoples vote & that is what this awards show was suppose to be about. Shoving TVD down our throats is why I stopped watching it last year.

50. fiona says:

While i’m upset supernatural wasnt there i’m more upset that out of all the awards that Harry Potter was nominated for the only one they decided to show was the one they lost when HP is clearly the biggest win of the night