Scoop: How I Met Your Mother Bosses Open to Extending & Renaming Series After Mother Reveal

Could How I Met Your Mother live on in some form after viewers finally meet the Mother?

TVLine tossed that provocative question out to executive producers Carter Bays and Craig Thomas at an intimate lunch the pair hosted for a handful of news outlets on Wednesday. Their response? It’s not out of the realm of possibility.

“That’s come up,” Bays said of a spinoff that would allow them to bring current Mother mystery arc to a satisfying conclusion  — perhaps at the end of Season 8 — and then possibly relaunch the show with a slightly tweaked premise and title (i.e. What Happened After I Met Your Mother).

“We’ve had conversations about rewinding back to 2005 and doing a series called How I Met Your Father,” Thomas revealed with a laugh. “From the perspective of what was happening with the Mother all those years. Occasionally, she’ll stumble through McLaren’s and no one will see her.”

Bays floated another idea that similarly involved turning back the clock. “One way to go is to finish the [mother] story at the end of Season 8, and then Season 9 is, ‘Oh, by the way kids, I left some stuff out…,'” he explained. “And then it’s just 24 little stories that took place over the course of the series here and there. Like, ‘Here’s something funny that happened in 2006.'”

Given the ratings growth Mother has enjoyed in its current seventh season, it’s not difficult to understand why CBS and producer 20th Century Fox TV would want to keep the franchise going — either in its current form or an altered one. Either way, Bays hopes to have some resolution on the matter soon (the series has already been renewed through Season 8.)

“We’ve already started discussions with [20th] about letting them know we need some lead time because we do have a story we want to tell and we see how quickly or slowly we should be telling this story,” he said. “Hopefully we’ll get an answer to that in time.

“It’s a hard thing,” Bays continued. “Obviously, we don’t ever want to keep the show on longer than it needs to, just like we don’t want to end it before it should end. But it’s the best job any of us have ever had.”

TAGS: , , ,
GET MORE: News

1. John says:

How I Met Your Step-Mother.

[not really]

Like the idea of a continuation: I’m in it for the stories NOT the end game of who the “mother” is.

2. davej says:

Thanks for telling me the mother won’t be revealed until the end of next season so now I can fully stop watching this show for the next year or so.

I loved this show the first few seasons and I am now sick of the premise. To paraphrase Cubs Gooding, “show me the mother!”.

The only reason I watch it or 2 Broke Girls is that there is nothing better on TV on Mondays at 8 PM, so I DVR it and fast forward through a lot of it.

• Does anyone even really care who the mother is? The show is about Ted, Marshall, Lily, Barney, and Robin – not the mother. If you aren’t invested in the lives of the five friends, then you’re probably missing the point of the show!

3. Luis says:

A follow up show done from the mother’s perspective would actually be a creative way to extend the franchise. Hard to believe those kids don’t have couch sores by now, this story has gone on so long. I figured listening to Bob Saget’s voice for such a long period would cause a homicidal rage.

4. Mitch says:

I’ve always had this idea that the last scene of the last episode, the doorbell rings and future Ted yells out “Honey, can you get that?” and in the background you hear the front door open and Marshall, Lily, Barney and Robin (and possibly Barney’s wife and everyone’s kids) enter, all talking, asking “Where’s Ted?”, and the mother says “in the living room” or something. They all come into the room, Ted’s kids say hi and all the greetings, then they all get called by the mother into the dining room for a big family meal (with Marshall carving up the food with a lightsaber!), and that’s when you get the first shot of the mother.
    How it continues after that is up to Craig & Carter, but I definately don’t want it to just END once we meet the mother. I hate when shows do that! They need to see some sort of development that gives a satisfying ending to the viewers that have followed the show, dedicated themselves to it and fallen in love with the characters.

5. Daisy says:

Am I the only one that wishes (somehow) that Robin is the mother?

• Tracie says:

No, you’re not! I wish that too, since I like them together better than her and Barney. But I have no idea how they would get around him calling her “Aunt Robin” all the time.

6. Steven Hall says:

How about the spin-off being called “When I Met Your Mother”

7. Swaan says:

It’s a love story told in reverse, so the name of the series doesn’t have to change. If they do continue, After I Met Your Mother would be the best bet.

8. Babar Suhail says:

I would like to see what happened once Ted meets the mother.

9. Jglazebrook says:

End of season 9 Ted says to the kids ‘and that’s how I met your mother’ then the mother chimes in ‘now, wouldn’t you guys like to know how I married your father.

Spin – off: how I married your father

Keeps Ted and the gang in the show but leaves room for new characters and more of the mum being the main character.