CBS Boss Talks Good Wife's Tricky Timeslot, Talk Upheaval, Person of Interest Changes and More!

It looks like The Good Wife will be staying put on Sunday night.

At the Television Critics Association’s winter press tour Wednesday, CBS’ entertainment president Nina Tassler acknowledged that the endless football overruns have tested viewers’ patience, but added, “The show feels like a better fit on Sunday night. More importantly, the audience that does watch the show on Sunday is more upscale, more female and very engaged.”

Other highlights from CBS’ exec sesh:

* Tassler shrugged off one reporter’s complaint about 2 Broke Girls polarizing diner scenes, saying the show’s writers are “equal opportunity offender[s].”

*  Regarding the challenges in finding a successful companion to The Big Bang Theory on Thursday, Tassler said, “When you’re following a show that has ratings as large as big as Big Bang Theory has, it may take time to find its right compainion. But we’ll get there eventually.”

* Asked about the high profile cast shake-up that preceded the The Talk‘s second season — specifically why weren’t viewers given an explanation for the ousters of Holly Robinson Peete and Leah Remini — Tassler said, “Any show in its first season goes through multiple changes. There is little or no difference in a changing cast on a talk show than there is on a scripted show. Ultimately, we were looking at a dynamic, equality in the relationships, equality in the commentary and we saw an opportunity [to change things up] and we took advantage of it… Other talk shows have had host changes as well, it’s par for the course.”

* Although “extremely pleased” with the ratings performance of Person of Interest, Tassler confirmed the network requested a significant creative change. “We felt that the Carter [Taraji P. Henson] character was somewhat marginalized. We felt that the Carter character was too peripheral, [so] we asked [producers] if they were open to bringing [her] into the superhero cave. It was a plan that they had in place, but more for the end of the season. We asked them if they were open to moving that up. We felt it was a key ingredient to [help] the show grow and expand.”

1. Elizabeth says:

Did anyone ask Nina why she can make this happen on CBS and the boys at FOX & NBC have such a hard time? What’s her secret?

2. dee says:

So she’s basically saying Peete and Remini talked too much, right? I never watch that show, but that’s what she said. I’m assuming, then, that Julie Chen, wife of Les Moonves, complained to hubby that she couldn’t get a word in edgewise, hence the firings.

As for “Person of Interest,” the correct way to deal with Carter is to write her out. She’s boring, she doesn’t contribute ANYTHING. She’s superfluous. You don’t bring characters like that into the “superhero cave,” you cut them loose. Whenever “the network,” especially this one, gets involved in the creative direction of a show, that’s never a good thing (See Criminal Minds last season for an example).

• Jeff says:

You’re absolutely correct about Carter on “Person of Interest”. But remember, we’re talking about Nina Tassler, the same genius who cancelled “Moonlight”.

• Tania says:

OMG Jeff, get OVER IT! Moonlight is long GONE. It deserved to be cancelled. It was a poorly conceived, poorly written, poorly acted (can’t blame the actors, again, poorly written) series. You got your beloved AOL on Hawaii 5-0. Btw, an awful remake. One that shouldn’t have been commissioned at all. It’s CBS at its laziest.

As for “Person of Interest”, you and dee are wrong about Carter. She’s a dynamic character. Do you even comprehend what it is that you are watching? Yes, you are entitled to YOUR opinions however WRONG.

• dee says:

Do tell. What’s so dynamic about her? Halfway through the first season, what do you know about her, besides the fact that she’s chasing John? Oh, right, NOTHING.

• Caro says:

Did you even WATCH the last 2 episodes before Christmas? ‘Get Carter’ and ‘Number Crunch’ were fantastic episodes that bring Carter, and yes, even Fusco, into the limelight. The new Dynamic Duo is quickly going to become the Fearsome Foursome.
            The show is very well written and as it has progressed you can see each actor ‘becoming’ their character and building their inter-connected relationships. The unexpected humor in POI sparkles. Caviezel & Emerson work beautifully together and their deadpan delivery makes me laugh out loud.
            Just won the People’s Choice Best New TV Drama……so the fans are out there!

• Jeff says:

I think you’re missing the point dee. What you are complaining about it the EXACT same thing Tassler is complaining about. Yes, we don’t know anything about her because she has been marginalized on the show. By bringing her in and getting her more involved with he story we now have a chance to learn about her and see what she can bring to the story.

• hru says:

In my opinion the entire show is an epic Fail. Just like the saying “epic Fail” poorly conceived concept and redundant every week.

• Robin says:

I completely agree with dee on this. Carter doesn’t add a thing to the show. I’m not sure why they feel they need this character. The last two episodes were laughable. Carter as a soldier? Please don’t give us any more of that BS.

If they do enlarge the part and bring her into the “superhero cave,” I hope they recast it. Taraji P. Henson may be an Academy Award Nominee, but you couldn’t prove it by me. Her method of acting seems to be all about creasing her brow. She really can “do bad all by herself.” I’d rather see Maria Bello in the part. I hear she’s looking for a job.

3. Mel31602 says:

Hmm Ausiello said today there would be a big hint about his blind item death. Today he is talking w people from CBS. Does that mean death is on a CBS show? In which case the Stokes prediction many made originally looks even more likely

4. dee says:

Oh, and one other thing. Football games have been going half an hour over for decades. So here’s an idea. START THEM HALF AN HOUR EARLIER.

• Newo says:

I really dont think the NFL cares about the starting time of primetime scripted tv

• Patrick says:

Here’s the thing about Football ratings. They are far more important than any scripted show. CBS would cheerfully execute the entire cast and crew of any of their shows if it came down to killing all those folks, or simply losing football.

Games start at 1:00 eastern for a reason. It gives churchgoers (who watch football) on the east coast a chance to go to church, get lunch, or get lunch going, and then get home to watch the game.

The second game starts after the first one, at 4ish. Which is just after one on the west coast. Scripted shows are below football in the heirarchy. Deal with that.

• Rock Golf says:

Great idea if you live on the East Coast, but for West Coasters, it means the first game of the afternoon has to begin at 9:30 am Pacific time, which would drive ratings down.

• Angelique says:

CBS should move 60 Minutes to 8pm and have an NFL post game show so when football runs over, and we know it will, it can just take away from the post game show. As a result, 60 Minutes, The Good Wife, and CSI: Miami would all start at their scheduled time.

5. Lincoln says:

Sorry but, Nina Tassler is an idiot. Keeping #TheGoodWife on Sundays is the dumbest move ever.

• Jessica says:

I agree. I’ve missed four episodes because of football shows going over. My DVR isn’t a psychic, unfortunately.

• hannah says:

and if you have a DVR you should be smart enough to use its features. I watch Good Wife and understand the CBS sunday lineup. It is not even really football’s fault it is 60 Minutes. If they would interrupt 50 minutes there would be no problem.

• Larry says:

My wife easily overcomes the DVR problem by setting the Good Wife to always record an hour longer to ensure full episode.
        Problem solved.

• jen says:

it really isn’t hard, just program your DVR to record an extra hour. That’s what I do with my shows that come on on Sundays. I just set all of the episodes to record longer then I don’t have to worry about it. The football games never go that far over.

• kathy says:

Try manually setting the DVR- that’s what my husband does for college games, they don’t usually end on time either.

• Saint Alicia says:

Completely agree; why does she still have a job, especially after the Criminal Minds fiasco.

• Rock Golf says:

Well, 3 reasons are that NBC, ABC & Fox are doing much worse.

• Dax says:

Tassler still has a job because CBS is the highest rated network with most of the highest rated showes currently on the air. In short, CBS is kicking a**.
        Also, while I completely agree that the Criminal Minds fiasco was one of the poorest decisions I’ve seen from a TV network, at least they finally had the good sense to correct it and bring the original ladies back. It’s not often that you see TV execs admit mistakes much less try to correct them so I give CBS credit for that.

6. Sam says:

CBS is the soporific network.
    Cop procedurals and Remakes of cop procedural. Bleh.
    They have not been able to get real hits in at least 2 years. Last season NBC got The Voice and this season abc got Once Upon a Time.

• Chris says:

Two broke girls, mike and Molly, NCis la those are all pretty big hits all done in he last 3 years

• kathy says:

Have you seen the ratings for The Big Bang Theory? CBS moved it to Thursday and it is still doing great, nothing they’ve put after it is any good, but it still kicks it in the ratings.
        And I’d bet part of 2 Broke Girls’ ratings has to do with it being sandwiched between HIMYM and 2 1/2 Men – both high rated shows. Kind of reminds me when NBC had Caroline in the City on; they had it sandwiched between 2 top shows and it got great ratings (but stunk), so they moved it off my itself and it tanked.

• Ariel says:

Maybe to some of us, but the majority is tuning into them.

7. Saint Alicia says:

“The audience that does watch the show on Sunday is more… female.”
    O_o Who cares about that, they should want more eyeballs PERIOD.
    And with this Tassler has basically confirmed that they want TGW to take Desperate Housewives’ audience (which should be easy enough with the show ending this season), however she is selling TGW extremely short if that’s the kind of audience they’re targeting.
    TGW is universally appealing and explores a variety of themes but CBS seems to want to dumb it down/niche market it; what a huge disservice… *smh*

8. Bobbi says:

Sounds like CBS is really concerned about that audience for The Good Wife. Why bother putting it on a night where we can see it when it is scheduled? Sunday is the WORST choice for it!

The very least they could do is a second showing so we could at least count on the fact that our DVRs would be able to catch it. This way they’re putting it on us to babysit if we want to be able to see it. As much as I love the show, I’m sick of it!

• Rob says:

OMG, learn how to use your DVR, people! It’s 2012! Simply use the series manager to program the series to always record a half hour or an hour over. Then it will always do it automatically and you don’t have to remember to program it every week. And if you don’t have a DVR yet, get one! It’s like not having a VHS in the 80’s. They’re as necessary as breathing in today’s TV watching world. I’ve got 3 in my house!

• kathy says:

Rob, I was right there with ya till the end…”as necessary as breathing..”? And you’ve got 3, hope that there are a lot of people in your house. My house of 5 gets by with just one.

With Comcast a lot of these shows we can watch On Demand on our TV or the computer.
        So we don’t have to DVR a lot.

• Ariel says:

Manually record the two hour time slot and you won’t miss it. There is a manual record option. It’s on the search menu. Not that hard.

9. Mspenn says:

There’s an easy fix to the football overruns. Do what Fox did and start their shows at 8 instead of 7. Make a recap show of the days scores run until 7:30 and schedule a repeat of a 1/2 hr comedy from 7:30-8. That way if the game runs past 7:30, you bump the repeat and have the score recap show until 8

60 minutes at 8, The Good Wife at 9 and CSI Miami at 10.

This will save many of us an hour a week off of our dvrs that are set to tape an hour overrun for TGW so we dont miss it.

• A fan says:

Yes, this. This is exactly what should be done. They need to plan for the overrun like Fox does and schedule something that no one will care if it cuts into the middle of. 9 times out of 10, it will fix this problem. Football season is virtually over though at this point, so it really wouldn’t make sense to move it at this point.. but for next fall.

10. MattW says:

If CBS intends to keep The Good Wife on Sunday, I wouldn’t mind if they held it until mid-season to avoid the football delays. They could air it rerun free at that point. It would have only a few “OFF” weeks due to the Superbowl or when the network airs the Grammys.

11. davey says:

Tassler is a jerk. I’m neither female or upscale, I love The Good Wife and I’m annoyed at the time switches. I am not always home on Sunday nights and can’t figure out how to tape the show because the starting time keeps changing.

Also 2 Broke Girls has one of the most awful Asian American characters on TV right now. That portrayal is so racist. I don’t know how they get away with it.

12. Jack Blue says:

I don’t get the thing about complaints regarding 2 Broke Girls… Can someone explain, please?

• Sara N. says:

It can come off a wee bit racist.

• dank says:

Not sure what the reporters were specifically complaining about, but I wrote the show of after last week’s episode…which revolved almost entirely around the subject of tampons. Too bad…I really like Cat and Beth…but the show is extremely low brow.

13. ollie says:

dont mess with poi i liked that carter was after resse and that her partner is somewhat in cahoots with him and finch. the only thing is i loved paige turrco on it and she is already coming back for an ep

14. Jenn says:

The problem with ‘recording’ an extra hour just to make sure I get the whole episode of The Good wife is that The Good wife isn’t the only show I watch on Sunday night. Add the fact that I’m not the only one in my house that uses the DVR and it’s a DVR frenzy. Thank goodness Someone else in the house records CSI: Miami. So when The Good Wife runs over, I just start the CSI:Miami and finish it there. Not everyone else is so lucky.

• Rob says:

Seems even simpler in your case, then. Just have it record 1.5 hours extra and it’ll catch both Good wife and CSI Miami and both shows will be completely recorded for both of you. and you won’t have to record CSI Miami separately…

15. MIke says:

I hate to agree with network notes but they’re right about Person of Interest. The show is essentially Batman so Taraji’s character is Jim Gordon. Why not bring her more into it?

• Jeff says:

What would she do? As it is now, Reese does all the action and Finch does all the research (appropriate, since he’s handicapped). What would Carter do? Follow Reese around? That’s a recipe for failure.

• maureen says:

Why I have no problem with Taraji being in the batcave, the “superheroes” need an antagonist (other than the big bad of the week) to oppose them. Taraji’s role will need to be replaced. Maybe this is going to be that shadowy government agency that was after Reese?

• Nina says:

You raise some good points. I like Carter but I never felt she needed to be brought into the “batcave.” I guess she will be playing a role like Fusco even though he already filled that part well.

• Jasmine says:

I agree. I watch the show for one reason, Taraji! I have been extremely
      Disappointed with the lack of airtime she gets. CBS has really gone down hill in my view because of the gross lack of Diversity. None of their shows have significant African American roles in the cast. Rocky Carroll is an excellent actor, the character is good, but is such a minor part, which is too bad. All of the others, Himym, rules of engagement, 2 1/2 Men, CSI, etc, no bBlacks. 2 Broke Girls, I never would watch. If one of the lead characters was Black, I would have given it a shot. Hoever, it appears overtly racist and getting away with it!

16. Andrea says:

While I, too, am not a huge fan of TGW on Sundays, I share some readers’ confusion as to why the DVR issue is an issue for some. This is why DVRs exist, and CBS has even developed a commercial that TELLS people to record an extra hour for The Good Wife. If you watch other CBS shows on Sunday, just keep adding the hour for the other shows as well. I have done this, and it’s been fine.

• Sara N. says:

• Saint Alicia says:

Some people want to record a show on another network at that time though, so why should TGW eat up an extra hour on the DVR just because it never airs when scheduled? CBS’ “advice”/that little PSA are rather selfish and short-sighted.

• Rob says:

Then watch it online…even simpler…

• Mary B says:

I agree with all who have posted that there are ways around the football runovers, however: 1. As a loyal fan of the show, I shouldn’t have to twist myself into a pretzel to watch it. I haven’t played Hide & Seek for years and don’t feel I should have to now. 2. Don’t tell me to watch it online. I pay for cable. I should be able to watch it on my television. 3. CBS, you made the decision to move it to Sundays at 9. If you can’t fulfill your own stupid timetable, move it. 4. Yes, I can watch it the next day OnDemand but wouldn’t it be better for you and your advertisers if I was able to watch it live? Signed, an engaged and kind of upscale female, who you’re really p*ssing off.

17. kevin says:

I won’t even wait ’til May if CBS plans to keep THE GOOD WIFE on Sunday nights for its upcoming Fall schedule.

18. Renee says:

RE Person Of Interest. LOVE the show and if done correctly this change could be good, but OMG whenever suits interfere w/shows it usually doesn’t bode well. On one hand I don’t want the dynamic messed up and feel they should let the writers do their thing. On the other hand if tweaking the show like this makes the suits happy enough to give me a Season 2…go for it!

19. Denise says:

I think we all have the concept of the dvr and don’t need to be schooled. The problem is when you have other programs recording and The Good Wife is taking up 2 program slots. Yes, I can record CSI Miami to adjust for the overrun but what do I have to delete to do that? Homeland? Not a chance, that is just greedy.

20. tory says:

well, that cbs boss or whatever can kind of shove it over what she said about The Good Wife….the ones who do watch are “more upscale”….wtc ….is she TRYING to alienate even more viewers that she already has by NOT listening to the fans’ complaints on the time slot change………very offensive. i usually have a knack for giving my opinion commentary and writing it pretty well, but her remarks have left me speechless….and let me tell you…..that’s very hard to do. Wish i knew where to write to really give her my OPINION on her and her “more upscale” viewers…..

21. Vader says:

The only change I want to see on Person of Interest is to bring Paige Turco’s character back full-time (or at least very recurring).

22. Simone says:

I have not seen one complete episode of The Good Wife yet because of the NFL games running over. I think the CBS president is an idiot – move the show back to Tuesday night!

23. Gavin says:

Bringing Carter more into the fold is actually a very good call.

• Lois says:

I agree. The problem was she, Carter, hasn’t had enough to do. I think its going to work out fine and bringing back Paige Turco would be a great idea, too.

24. Fido says:

re#: Person if Interest changes – big load of phew!! I thought they were going to announce the introduction of a character similar to the Mrs Poocho in Human Target, who destroyed an excellent show almost overnight. But increasing the participation of the lady cop in the shows weekly ‘saving’, well that could be alright :)

25. Jayne says:

I’m glad they’re bringing the detective on Person of Interest into the fold. It just feels like it needs more of an ensemble and more personalities to play off of.

26. sarah says:

Really enjoy Person of Interest

27. Bill says:

Terrible idea of bringing the Carter character into the superhero (man)cave. She would require a complete (and unbelievable) 180 change in her opinion about vigilante justice. As someone above mentioned, that’s how they ruined the show Human Target.

28. Linda says:

They should have let Carter in on their secrets when her number came up. Then it would have made sense.

29. Andrea says:

In re:

“See the comment above. Some people record multiple shows on Sundays, and it can be tough to coordinate all of them.”

I understand that, but that can be true of any night of the week, depending on what your personal watching preferences are. People have to prioritize whenever they have a conflict with regularly-scheduled shows that they like. People may not like the scheduling flux of TGW, but the issue of what-to record-when and what makes it onto a person’s DVR and what doesn’t is not just a TGW issue. It’s something that can happen every night. The situation is structured a bit differently, but the prioritizing question is still the same.

30. Monica says:

The Good Wife is a solid, well-written and well-acted show so it will do fine on Sunday regardless of late NFL. I’m impressed that the showrunners haven’t been selling it as a show about strong female characters in the way Shonda Rhimes and Betsy Beers try to sell Meredith and Cristina, especially the past few days at TCA. There is no comparison in the shows or characters. I’m rambling-sorry but I made the mistake of reading a number if SR’s recent interviews. No way I’ll ever watch Scandel or anything else SR’s name is associated with.

31. kirads09 says:

I am trying to keep an open mind, but the POI changes makes me quite nervous. Especially this early in a show’s development. Reese and Finch are just hitting their stride together – barely still learning to trust and care about each other. At least that is how it seems to me. I think bringing her in could be a HUGE mistake. I enjoy her being outside in the cat and mouse chase.

Just thinking of what happened when Fox made big (ultimately fatal for the show) changes to Human Target Season 2.

Don’t screw up and kill one of my favorite shows CBS!

32. Kira says:

It was stupid to fire Remini and Peete with no explanation. I’m glad no one is watch the show anymore.

I hate “The Good Wife” on Sundays. It was a terrible decision to move it. It’ll be fine once football is over, but it’s exhausting searching for it and DVRing it and ten other shows just to make sure I don’t miss it. I don’t think the demographic will put up with it much longer.

I wish they’d address how royally they frakked up Hawaii Five-0 and what they’re going to do to fix it.

• dee says:

Oh wow, I’d completely forgotten about Hawaii Five-O, a show I sometimes watched and enjoyed in season 1, and totally abandoned in season 2. Too many new characters (Note to CBS: NOT ALL OF YOUR PROCEDURALS NEED TO HAVE A QUIRKY FORENSICS/COMPUTER EXPERT), too much confusing mythology. They had a good core of 4 characters with good chemistry, and they screwed it up totally.

33. mrdoubleb says:

I think the bigger problem with TGW’s new place is that it goes head to head with DHW. Anyone else thinks the 2 shows are gunning for roughly the same audience?

Of course, when the housewives stop coming back next September, the ABC audience might join CBS. Unless ABC replaces DHW with a similarly themed show at that spot…

34. robin says:

I really like Carter’s character on POI, and don’t mind her being more involved per se, but even before I read this article about CBS’s interference in the creative direction of the show, I had (have) concerns the show is going to peak too quickly. It seems they are bringing in dramatic conflict elements that would normally be brought in at a slower pace, beyond the first season (e.g. Carter’s number coming up, her involvement in vigilante justice). It seems they would have been smarter to wait til season 2, or at least til the end of season 1. These decisions are either really gutsy and the team has a pretty amazing future outline planned for the show, or the show is going to lose momentum due to poor pacing. I really hope they’ll be smart about it because it’s a really compelling program IMO.

35. Kathi says:

Nina Tassler is the same woman who thought it would be a good idea to get rid of JJ and Emily on Criminal Minds and bring in Ashley. Well, we all know how well that worked, don’t we?

36. angie says:

a few years ago cbs had a service called eyelert that you signed up to get messages what time the Sunday night shows started when football ran over. Why cant they do this again? If you miss the begining of the shows, you miss the concept. I have missed most Good Wife episodes because I am not a football fan and will not watch the end of the games that can take a long time just to see when a show is coming on. Eyelert was a great option. Think about it cbs!

37. lame says:

“Super” on Person Of Interest was incredible,this series keeps getting better and better. It’s now in my top three:Castle, NCIS and POI. Just wish CBS would make all the episodes available on HULU, instead of the every other BS they’er pulling.

38. Loren says:

Well, I’d just like to say one thing. POI is still a very young show and one episode into the second half of the first season. Carter is a strong character that can go many different ways, Reese is like Chuck Norris on the inside and can freaking win a fight while on crutches for goodness sakes so he’s awesome, and Finch is the ultimate brain food for people who like to figure out plots ahead of time and he seems to have a very caring heart beneath all of his secrecy. It’s a great show and I can’t wait to see what happens on down the road. Thanks!

39. W.J.H says:

Don’t screw up OK? I love POI and do NOT want to let Carter mess up with the couple——Reese and Finch……

40. miche says:

I love the Person of Interest show. The actors portray their characters really well. As for Taraji P Henson, I think she is very believable as Carter. IMO she is portraying the character as needed and directed.
    I am happy that CBS decided to stay away from the “stereotype” as a lead actress. We all get tired of stereotypes. Variety is the spice of life.

It seems like a lot of people had no problem with the present cast- People’s choice for best new t.v. drama. Somebody is doing something right!

41. Heather says:

Oh my God! Is this an alternate universe? Taraji SUCKS at this role. I’m not a hater. She did a good job in Larry Crowne and Benjamin Button, but she’s so stiff and unbelievable at this role that it ruins the whole show for me… and that was before they started giving her so much face time! All the backstory in the world isn’t going to make her a better at acting this role or make me care at all about this character. That horrible hood accent she’s trying to do is terrible. Even the extras are better at their roles and have more personality than she does. Seriously, she’s fighting with Ice T and Frank Sinatra for the worst actor/actress ever as long as she’s in this role (love them both, but everyone knows they couldn’t act their way out of a paper bag). Actually, even Frankie was better than her when he did romantic comedies. He was horrible at the gangster stuff lol, and that’s what I’m referring to here.

And before anyone calls me a racist or a sexist… I think you could put almost ANY other black lady in this role and it would work. The other characters are of such a high caliber, and casting her there is like scraping the bottom of the barrel. Her scenes feel like a totally different show. Did she even have to screen test? Just because someone won an award for a totally different type of character doesn’t mean they can act in everything people. This has to be the worst mistake cbs could have made. I could handle her as a small part, but I actually dread watching it now because she’s SO bad at it, and may stop completely. My husband already refuses to watch because she totally kills the chemistry between the other characters.

It would be nice to watch a show that they didn’t ruin with their horrible ideas for once. There are enough bad tv shows and crap reality shows for the mindless masses… please let the rest of us us have something that doesn’t suck for a change. You did the same thing with Hawaii 5-0. Jenna Kaye sucked. The new lady isn’t bad, but it’s nothing like it used to be with the core 4. Kills what we loved so much about the show. The chemistry! Adding Terry O’Quinn was a great move, but we didn’t need another 5-0 team member. It’s really getting old cbs, abc, nbc, fox, etc! I’m sick of being stuck with mediocre entertainment! If enough people spoke up, we could actually do something about it! C’mon people!