Supernatural Boss Talks Bobby's Death, Dean's 'Unhealthy' State, Two Big Returns and Lots More

Oh, those poor Supernatural boys.

This season, the Winchesters have lost their beloved Impala, their friend Castiel and now their only remaining “family” member (RIP Bobby). But where did Bobby go? How will Cas come back? And is Sam about to lose his last marble? TVLine went to executive producer Sera Gamble to get answers — and dish about this week’s time-travel adventure (airing Friday at 9/8c)!

Supernatural Hot Shots: Dean Teams Up – and Suits Up! – With Eliot Ness

TVLINE | You ended the fall finale with the Reaper posing a pretty big question to Bobby. But then with last week’s episode, you didn’t address that question. Why did you decide to go in that direction?
In Episode 11 and in episodes to come, we wove in oblique references to that. What we want to do is keep the audience in the same grief space as Sam and Dean, who miss Bobby and start to question whether what they’re seeing is evidence that he might be a spirit or whether they’re just going through that normal grieving process where you think you see your loved one everywhere. Anyone who has gone through that knows that happens sometimes. And even when you are the world’s foremost supernatural investigators, that could happen to you.

TVLINE | Was the empty beer bottle one reference to that? Like, maybe ghost Bobby drank it?
Yes, that was definitely meant to tingle everybody’s “spidey sense” and make you wonder, “Is this one of those just lapse moments for them or does it mean something more?” It’s definitely meant to be evocative.

TVLINE | Will we at some point get an answer as to what Bobby chose?
We’re not going to leave you totally dangling forever. We would never let an actor as good as Jim Beaver go forever and ever. We fully intend to see him again in some way. I can’t give away everything, but I can say at the very least, we could do something like flashbacks to earlier in their lives, or bring him in in some other way.

Supernatural‘s Jim Beaver Returns to Justified

TVLINE | What’s the next course of action for the boys in pursuit of the Leviathan?
Right now, the problem is they have so little information about how to make a direct assault of any kind. Dick Roman is a monster they don’t know how to kill. Also, he’s wearing the body of a very, very powerful human. In upcoming episodes, we’ll see Dean really obsessively checking in with Frank and working with Frank on this. Sam is every bit as interested in pursuing this, but also kind of worried about Dean’s psychological state because this has become such a personal, unhealthy revenge situation for him in the wake of Bobby’s death.

TVLINE | Is Mark Pellegrino coming back?
He is.

TVLINE | Does that mean the wall in Sam’s head is breaking down again and becoming an issue?
Basically, Sam’s hallucinations never went away. He has mechanisms in place to maintain throughout the day. We’ve laid in times, as recently as Episode 10, where you’ll see him press the scar on his hand. We made the choice to keep them subtle a lot. You don’t always hear the sound effects or anything from his point of view. It’s just how he gets through the day. He knows how to sort through what’s real and what isn’t. He’s achieved a very weird status quo, a status quo that only Sam Winchester has. [Laughs] In an upcoming episode, we start to see what that looks like from his point of view again, then we shake things up for him a little bit. [The status quo] wasn’t going to last forever.

TVLINE | This week’s episode is “Time After Time After Time.” What are some of your favorite moments from it?
One of my favorite moments is just the moment that Eliot Ness (played by Nicholas Lea) walks in the room. Philip Sgriccia, our executive producer, directed it, and he clearly watched a lot of movies from the time period. It just looks fantastic! It’s quite an entrance.

TVLINE | The episode description says Sam is “surprised by the reappearance of an old friend.” Is that ghost Bobby? Or someone else?
You’ll see on Friday. Sam’s problem is every bit as bad as Dean’s because Dean is stuck. So Sam is pretty frantic. Part of the fun of this episode is they’re often in the same place, just in different time periods.

TVLINE | What is this about Sam getting beaten up by clowns?
Yep, Sam gets beaten up by clowns in an upcoming episode. [Laughs] We’ve been looking forward to doing that to him for some time. Andrew Dabb and Daniel Loflin, two of our longtime writers and producers, wrote a really twisted episode in which Sam and Dean have to investigate a series of murders that bring them to a kids’ restaurant called Plucky Pennywhistle’s Magical Menagerie, and it has a clown theme.

TVLINE | That’s a mouthful.
Yeah. [Laughs] They came up with it. It’s just the worst place ever for Sam. It’s even worse than a carnival.

TVLINE | What can you say about Castiel’s return?
He’s coming back! [Laughs] Soon! I can say maybe not in exactly the form you’ve seen him [in] before.

1. Nat says:

I like this season. I’m not 100% in favour of how Sera is writing the show but still it’s good this season. For me the new storyline and brothers dynamic has potential to make the show as strong as it was in season 2 and 3. But the return of Castiel. NO. I don’t like that and he shouldn’t come back. The Castiel storyline is what got us an awful couple of seasons (5 and 6). His storyline should have ended with season 4.

• Sasha Desmond says:

NO! Season Five was the BEST out of the entire series (except for season one). In season seven, I LOVED the Leviathan Castiel because the contrast was so big it was interesting. I think they got rid of him too soon in the series. Season six was horrible. It didn’t feel “complete”. More like a bunch of ideas thrown together, playing with the audience to see what they liked the best.

2. Mariah says:

The show has become all about Dean’s endless manpain (on show since season 1)and is now boring as hell, which the ratings clearly indicate. Keep on demanding more Dean and the show will finally be cancelled.

I can’t believe the Dean fans are complaining when ll this season has been is about Dean and his feeeeeeelings!

• a fan says:

Funny, we all seem to want exactly the same thing…
      Give Jensen something to DO, stop making his character the emotional spittoon having to emote for both Sam and Dean, give him some new acting challenges (not only new outfit). Give him a story to tell instead of having him react to everyone else’s…
      And then have Sam repeatedly discuss his feelings and share his POV, have Jared emote, angst and cry, trying – as it is a real acting challenge – to find 101 different ways to show: “I hurt”.

3. Susan says:

I hate to say it, because I can’t imagine how hard Sera’s job is, but she is killing this show. Kripke left her a fantastic show and she is running it into the ground.

After 7 seasons I hope this is the last one, only because I don’t want to see what havoc she unleashes in season 8.

4. Dave says:

Sera Gamble has single handly wrecked the show.
    Some shows can recover from a seasonal slump, but when you stretch it out to two bad seasons in a row, the rot sets in. Even if she were to go, the show won’t likely recover. Such a huge loss of momentum and quality usually doesn’t get turned around.
    You watch Supernatural for five seasons and pretend it ended there.

• alyssa says:

Sorry, to burst your bubble, but there’s no way Sera could “single handedly” do anything to the show.
      There is a whole crew of writers and producers that all make decisions about storylines, characters, etc.
      Everyone needs to lay off of her some. I admit, I do miss Kripke, but there are a lot of crew members that have been there since Day 1, that still have a major hand in the show.

5. Rachel says:

As I’m reading some of these posts, I question how loyal some of you actually are to the show. To stop watching Supernatural because of the way the story is going? Believe me, I am not happy with the way Sera is screwing with us, but I would never stop watching. I will ride with my boys til the end .

6. Hector says:

Cas come back as bobby that the only way bobby can heal and get better.

7. Alex says:

Seriously i just don’t get why some people keep going on with the “true” and “loyal” fans crap… to be loyal to a show doesn’t mean taking whatever stupid plot the writers throw at you brainlessly and it certainly doesn’t mean you can critize (in a respectful way what you’re not liking). and no matter how loyal you have been to a show you’re completely free to leave when you don’t feel like you’re enjoying or if it’s upsetting you more than anything…and noone has the right to call this people false or unloyal fans o whatever. Plus, even the people who has posted here and have said that they’re not watching because X reason, they’re obviously still keeping up with news and spoilers to find something that regains their interest despite not liking the story right now. That to me makes them loyal fans, without the masochist trait of watching something that they don’t enjoy or that upsets them.
    Unfortunately, Sera Gamble is really bad a trying to pick interest with her obsession about being coy with everything. Sometimes is not that bad to give a something away… because i refuse to believe that the most interesting think about the rest of the season are unicorns and Sam beaten up by clowns. otherwise this will really be the last season for me and that just sucks.

8. Kit says:

I have to admit that I love reading the comments. There is so much satisfaction in knowing that the ones who hate SPN the most because of destiel or cas or whatever will just have to live with it. No matter how much bitching and wailing they do they are not going to get what they want. Sara must be doing something right if she keeps the haters so frothing at the mouth. Hate on I say the rest of us are enjoying our show and your pain. I cannot wait until MC return their is so much amusement left to be had. Fandom it’s not just a hobby it’s pure entertainment.

• JR says:

I actually find the other side more amusing. You know the fans thinking Dean will instantly forgive Cas or even apologize for being such a meanie, and then they can hug and kiss. And everything will be Destiel and nothing will hurt *eyeroll*
      Some people should really lay off the fanfiction, they are starting to confuse Spn with a soap opera.
      And of course we cannot forget the ever present S vs. D wank. Ah fandom, you are nothing if not predictable.

9. alyssa says:

I think most of these “fans” need to realize that Supernatural is FICTIONAL. I love getting lost in the story as much as anybody, but there’s a time to step back, and realize that the Winchesters aren’t real. Yeah, they’ve been through hell. They have been their whole lives, but they do not exist, except inside a fictional horror show. Not everything is supposed to work out and nothing is ever going to go exactly how you want.
    Just enjoy the show for what it is: An hour out of the week to escape our boring lives and watch a couple of hot guys fight bad guys.

10. Lorna says:

I’m so glad other people are annoyed with Sera Gamble too. I was starting to think I’m the only one.
    I LOVED Supernatural until season 6. I used to watch it obsessively. I was actually excited about season 6 but it ended up being really disappointing. What I’ve seen of season 7 so far, which isn’t much becaue I’m slowly losing interest, hasnt been particularly good. Between getting rid of the Impala, Cas and now killing Bobby, I’m actually mad. Sera Gamble is running the show into the ground. Whoever said Kripke leaving was the worst decision ever is so completely right.

11. Emily says:

There are alot of very interesting opinions going on here, ive been enjoying reading all of your points of view, honestly i will keep watching Supernatural to the very end, no matter what happens :) But i do really miss Cas! I even miss the freaking Impala, they atleast need to bring Dean’s baby back! lol just sayin

12. Sasha Desmond says:

What we should do is gather as fans and write our own script~ We should have the same people, but we’d have to change it up. Make Misha Collins play not Castiel, but maybe the “Leviathan” type character, but have that be the ‘normal’. Have the same idea as far as family structure, but instead take the Leviathan idea and twist it into what WE want. Then, when Supernatural dies off, we can all come together as part of the fandom and make our own TV show with the same beloved boys as different characters with different personalities, but still vaguely resembling the characters they played in Supernatural. We can call it “The Unnatural”.

13. Ozzie says:

Sera Gambles is so full of herself. She was like well we had to kill Bobby off cause we had no body else left. Thats because dumb ass showrunner her and EK kill everybody on the series.

Whatever Gambles says I will believe when it comes to pass , cause she is a liar and hardley delievers the real good stuff on SPN.

14. kim says:

Please bring back cas an bobby

15. Grace says:

How about while Bobby is gone, you bring back THE TRICKSTER/GAB, RICHARD SPEIGHT JR. I really miss him alot. Who else thinks that’s a good idea??

16. Shash says:

We haven’t got Season 7 here yet nor do I want to watch it via the internet on a small screen. I would just like to say that I am quite looking forward to seeing how the story pans out week to week and am quite happy for those who actually “own” the show to decide how that will be. I too was sad to hear that Bobby and Castiel were to be killed off but these things happen and we can’t expect characters to stay just because we like them. I for one miss Crowley terribly and hope to see his return but wont start screaming if this doesn’t happen.
    I would’ve liked more of Chuck and Ash too and I miss Ellen in the only “older” female role (apart of course from their mum) and what about more from Missouri? All in all the show is about the ever changing dynamic between the 2 brothers and as such is quite rightly focussed on them with all others being mere peripheral characters.
    I do believe that Season 5 was the proper place to end the show but of course there were those who were confused by the subtleties, who needed everything explaining to them and there were those who just wanted more eye-candy!
    Season 6 was a little off standard (I particularly disliked the episode where they were taken into the alternate reality of Supernatural The TV programme though Misha was fantastic!) but I think it got going eventually with the Castiel/Crowley storyline and the wonderful “I am your new God” ending (I also found the Bobby/Crowley storyline hilarious).
    Personally I think everyone should just relax and go along for the ride, no-one said it would run forever so lets just enjoy the show as and when we can. A bad episode here and there can’t destroy all the good ones.
    Finally I would just like to say please think of the actors themselves, the longer they stay with their characters the harder it will be for them to get other parts in the future.

17. Savvy says:

Wow, the people complaining about this show is insane. No Supernatural will never be like it was in season 1 (my personal favorite season), but guess what? I will support this show, its crew, and its actors until the end. The same or not because I’m a fan.
    And everyone complaining about Cas not being the same when he comes back, how the hades is he supposed to be? Dean and his relationship will be strained, Sam will be angry at him. And Bobby’s dead. None of it will be la-de-da, it’s Supernatural!

• Smiles says:

He can come back looking and being the same (meaning being Misha Collins)by doing what Anna did. “Call in some favors” and get his human vessel Jimmy back.

18. Smiles says:

I don’t like the way she said that Cas will come back. I mean I love Cas as is. Meaning I love him being portrayed by Misha Collins. Misha is what makes Cas, Cas. It would be horrible to have someone else play him.

19. Crystal says:

JusT wanting to add my voice to the chorus. I want the Impala, I want the music and I want Bobby or this puppy’s going south in a real hurry.