Grey's Anatomy Romance Report: Lasting Joy for MerDer? Is Mark Secretly Pining for Lexie?

Shonda Rhimes was at the Television Critics Association winter press tour promoting her brand-new ABC drama, Scandal (premiering Thursday, April 5 at 10/9c), but afterward it was the prolific storyteller’s original calling card, Grey’s Anatomy, that was the hot topic. Here is what Rhimes revealed about some Seattle Grace romances, in the wake of the winter premiere.

MEREDITH & DEREK | Now that Zola has been bestowed upon the doctors-in-love by the adoption agency, “They’re going to get to be parents, and you’re going to see a lot of joy from them,” Rhimes promises. “It’s a great evolution for their characters, and it’s going to last for a while.” When TVLine noted series star Ellen Pompeo’s beatific performance at the close of last week’s episode, Rhimes concurred: “Ellen is amazing with the twins that play baby Zola, and she’s been turning in amazing performances all season. I mean, Ellen has been super-committed this season.”

Ask Ausiello: Scoop on Grey’s Anatomy‘s Cristina and Owen, and More!

MARK & LEXIE | We shared with Rhimes our take that Mark perhaps has not really moved on from his last relationship, seeing as his new girlfriend, Julie, reads as more than a bit of a Lexie clone. “I think you might be right about that…,” Rhimes responded with a grin. “I think we’re already [establishing] that Lexie still has some feelings that she thought maybe she didn’t have, so I’m hopeful that you’re going to see something interesting happen with the two of them.”

Grey’s Anatomy Preview: Cristina & Owen Face ‘The Real Problem in Their Relationship’

TEDDY & HENRY (R.I.P.) | Henry, of course, has passed on, and Teddy’s upcoming journey will take its time and not steer her toward any new romance anytime soon. “We have a story that we’re going to tell, and … I don’t know if it’s about her getting a romance. It’s about what happens when something like that happens to you, who’s to blame, and how Teddy is going to deal with that.”

Exclusive: Grey’s Anatomy Boss Cracks Finale Puzzle, But Contractual Question Marks Loom

BAILEY & BEN | Despite some early season bumps, “Bailey and [Ben] are having a romance, and that’s a really good thing,” said Rhimes. “It’s nice to see Bailey happy.”

1. Lucia says:

You missed out Cristina & Owen. They are the ones that seem to have the most turmoil now. Why aren’t they featured?

• Christina says:

Here here! I’m very curious if they are going to show these two having some much needed serious discussions, or if we are going to continue to pretend that there are not a couple major cracks in their relationship. At the moment, these two are the ones I’m most interested in and I hope they don’t brush them to the side.

• Pute says:

The phrase is “Hear! Hear!” “Here here” is meaningless.

• Joe says:

Unless you’ve been looking for something and then find it and need to tell someone ;)

• Christina says:

Lol, thanks for pointing that out. I think I need to think before I type sometimes.

• stacey says:

you knew what they were trying to say so why did you have to correct them? i cannot stand it when smartasses correct grammer or spelling it makes them look like they are trying to prove something.

• Tansy says:

You spelled “grammar” wrong.

• School Marm says:

Since Christina is singular, not plural, and we can assume she is female, your sentence should read “You knew what SHE WAS trying to say so why did you have to correct HER?” Also, there should be a period after “grammer [sic] and spelling.”

• ultimate troll says:

Because they’re not interesting as a couple. Well, less interesting than Cristina normally is and more interesting than Owen normally is so …

• May says:

I totally agree with you. I can’t up to this day feel the connection between Christina and Owen they just don’t go well to me their relationship is not interesting Bring back Burke please.

• CJ says:

She forgot to update the only romantic story I’m interested in from Grey’s: Jackson and Me.

2. Amanda says:

“Ellen has been super-committed to this season” This season? What, she wasn’t committed before. Maybe that’s why season 6 and 7 were pretty light on Meredith and Derek? Ellen wouldn’t commit or didn’t care?

• Captain says:

Yeah, I thought that was a strange quote too. I don’t really pay attention to her but maybe in the past she’s given sub-par performances cause she just didn’t care but now that it could be her last season she does care?

• Dominique says:

I think it’s more about Ellen being away on pregnancy leave during the 6th season, and then got some time off during the seventh season as well, to be with her child. She was there every epi, but just less. Not to mention season 7 was VERY heavily focussed on Callie.

• sarah says:

Because she was pregnant and kind of focusing on being a parent. More important than being a fake parent.

• TATDAIMERZ says:

Gimme a break Ellen just had a baby of her own…cmon shes a working mom just like the rest of the world!

• MR505 says:

ellen has always been overshadowed by sandra and chandra, and even by heigl (and her mouth) when she was still around, but i’ve never thought she was less than “committed” or acted less well than her peers in any of the seasons…

3. rebecca says:

the only couple that keeps me coming back for me is Mark & Lexie. Haven’t liked Meredith & Derek since season 5.

• ... says:

Mark and Lexie are exactly what I don’t like about Grey’s. Mismatched at best. Would love to see Mark move on for good in his storyline.

• gladys says:

exactly what I dont care about Grey’s. Lexie/Mark are not only mismatched but so forced since the beginning. I cant really said I’d seen the love ever. now Meredith & Derek…that’s love from the beginning and even with all their struggles, they’re here now all grown up! i love that! Seeing them being now parents is just such a joy! Really looking forward to this so I hope Ellen & Patrick sign for a S9 if something so we can see a proper happy ending for this couple!

• Saar says:

Mark and Lexie belong together, it’s about time they finally will be back together, it has only take her like 2 years

4. Amy says:

Great interview Matt. Been loving Meredith and Derek’s growth over the years and sincerely hope both Ellen Pompeo and Patrick Dempsey stay on Grey’s Anatomy for season 9. I cannot imagine the show without them. Looking forward to watching them be parents this season and more from both Alex and Cristina as well. I still enjoy all the SLs from our original Grey’s cast. It’s why I am still invested in the show after all these seasons :)

5. Jane says:

Does Alex just not really a main character on this show anymore? I haven’t heard one piece of news about him all year and nothing coming up for the second half of the season. If all he is going to do is prop the other characters or have the same old tired scenes in peds, then I really don’t have much interest going forward. Its such a waste of a good character and a good actor.

• Samantha says:

Word! I seriously don’t give a crap about the other characters anymore and have just been hanging on hoping to finally see Alex get a shred of happiness that lasts longer than 2 seconds or at least get a real, meaningful storyline that is about HIM instead of being a prop to some other character’s storyline. It doesn’t seem like any of this will happen and I’ve become so bored with the rest of the stories that I can honestly say now that I think my Grey’s Anatomy viewing experience has come to an end. It makes me sad that this is how it ends for me after sticking it out through some absolutely awful storylines during these 8 seasons. But enough is enough. Best of luck to all the shippers.

6. LAUREN says:

commited this season?? she better not be meaning that ellen is commotted even though she is leaving… shes got to mesn shes just having a wonderful season surely?

for me meredith and derek are the show, iwouldnt watch without them i really wouldnt

7. RebeccaA says:

All i want is for Alex to be happy. It’s his turn, he deserves it.

8. Pamela says:

NEVER did care for Owen and Cristina. They have zero chemistry. Cristina had more chemistry with Burke. Owen and Teddy did have chemistry. They were hawt together. Mark & Lexie too. Alex belongs only to Izzie. Meredith & Derek deserve their happily ever after even if it is the dark and twisty kind. I miss George & Izzie.

• Samantha says:

Alex belongs to Izzie? Wow, you must really hate Alex…

• AnnClau says:

I agree with you, Samantha. Alex is better off without Izzie. I don’t miss her at all. But I do miss George. And yeah, Derek and Meredith do deserve a happy ending after all they’ve been through.

• Cheryl says:

I miss George too, but the love stories were just too dumb. Everyone knows the actor himself is gay and putting him in storylines with female love interests just did not work. They should have given him the gay storyline instead of Callie. And personally, I think Bailey is meant for Richard. I think there has always been a chemistry there. Adele could die and that would pave the way for Richard and Miranda.

• !!! says:

I miss George so much ! But i seriously don’t like the idea of Richard and Miranda together, thats totally wrong! They should jsut stay friends. And even if T.R Knight is gay, doesn’t mean that George should be gay. Especially since he said it over and over again i the first season that i wasn’t, that would be a totally fail in the story line.

• ewurama edusei says:

yeah i miss them too. but burke n christian…. nah! de guy was something else.owen n christina just need a push.

i miss george and izzie too. they should do something about them… alex is just going downhill.

• Donna M says:

Agree totally!

9. Melanie says:

eww baileys relationships suck

• Vicki says:

I totally agree Melanie. I am not in the slightest convinced of Bailey’s releationships. I mean come on folks. Let’s be realistic.Just look at her and she’s just not even charming enough to be with these hotties. Also, I think Owen needs to make a break from Christina – spoilt brat that she is – taking everything for granted. Owen just seems like a dud beside her all the time – it’s tiring. I like the way Der and Mer’s relationship has panned out. I love Arizona – love her positive character but don’t much go for Callie. Would love to see more of Alex. He rocks! But please don’t ‘break him in’ as in like a wild horse – i love his ‘break all the rules’ character. I could say he’s the most realistic character of them all. Also Sloan is hot hot hot. love that he’s a sex fiend. Please keep him that way – and don’t domesticate him either- pleaseeeee.

10. Linden says:

So I am definitely interested in Jackson and April as a couple. They are very close friends but there is def chemistry there. If anyone is going to take April’s V Card one day it has to be Jackson…..

• Alex says:

THIS. Seriously, at the moment I am completely uninspired by all the pairings on Greys, except for this yet-to-happen one. They haven’t had that much screen time together but when they have I’ve always thought they have such good chemistry! That’s what I want to see this season – that’s what I’m holding out for. Assuming the writers don’t botch it, of course.

11. amber says:

can anyone tell me what happened to Dr. Stark?

12. Slexiedoesitbetter says:

Mark and lexie are forced? Ok, Sure. At least Mark and lexie don’t need a baby to bring them back together. LMAO I only watch for Mark and lexie.

• Claire says:

In his SL Mark has two kids, one he couldn’t care less about and a third that Addison aborted because she “just didn’t want one with you Mark”. You’re right, Lexie and Mark don’t need a baby to bring them together. He’s got enough as is. He’s already populated the species with children in terms of his SL on GA. I actually like Lexie and love that she has moved on in the SL, but shudder to think Rhimes will put them back together as they are the least likable couple in a otherwise likable cast of couples on GA. I watch in spite of their cringe-worthiness.

• SlexieDoesitbetter says:

Least likable what did you poll everyone around the world?,or are we making opinions facts now? Because there are a lot of people out here in the world that can’t stand MerDer. Mark and lexie have a big size fanbase, You might not like them, but there are a lot of us that do also how do you know that SR won’t have mark have more kids? Also Lexie never left the SL, seeing as everything in the J/L Relationship came back to mark. But that still makes my comment stand, A kid bringing back a couple shows me that couple isn’t very stable to begin with, an obligation to each other instead of getting back together because they love each other. unlike M/D, ML are going to end up together, not because of a child but because they love each other.

• Claire says:

“Mark and Lexie have a bigger fanbase than…….” Where do you get your facts? You have no clue on that. And while I’m at it, I never once mentioned the characters Meredith/Derek nor do I care, but wow, YOU seem obsessed with them for some reason as if they are the benchmark to what kind of popularity you dream of for Mark/Lexie. And your wrie “Mark and Lexie love each other?” You do realize these are TV characters right? Just a hint dear..they aren’t real. Get over yourself and your anger over someone not liking your dream “fake” tv couple okay? Sheesh.

• loth says:

Way to change words Claire, she said “ML have a big fanbase”, not “they have a bigger fanbase than”. I am a ML fan, is there something wrong with that? Look out for some polls on the internet you will see…

They lasted all season 5, and always come back together, can’t it not mean that for the authors they are MFEO ? Doesn’t it mean that thee authors like them ? are they wrong too ?

We are fans so we care about those character just like MerDer fans or Cr/Ow fans (but nobody never say nothing to them), she only commented on an article, you are the one coming back to comment her, aren’t you obsessed in being an anti-ML then ? “You do realize these are Tv characters rights”?

“Get over yourself” and accept that some like this “dream fake tv” couple ! Sheesh

13. AnnClau says:

We get a lot of news about Christina and Meredith, and even about characters like Teddy, Lexie and Mark that weren’t there in the beginning, but what about Alex? If we’re still following the show after all those years it’s because we like original characters. Could you get us anything about Alex?

14. Guy says:

Ellen Pompeo doesn’t get the credit she deserves. She has been brilliant this season and yet the people at the awards shows continue to shun the show. It sucks but we all know this show is still going strong after 8 seasons. I think there is at least 2 more years in it.

• Liz says:

You can say that again! She’s a brilliant actress.
      And I think that, with some of the storylines she was given, well, it would be hard for me as well to take that job seriously… I understand why she & Patrick are tired of it sometimes…

15. Anna says:

The only couple I still love and care in this show is Mark/Lexie. But it’s kind of hard to hold on, when they are often neglected by Shonda. I was okay with the treatment, but I guess after Matthew/Mary storyline on Downton I became a bit greedy. Ha! Still love them, though.

16. Lacy says:

So, if this was real life.. mer and der would be finishing the season with her having a positive pregnancy test. For the simple.fact that’s what usually happen when couple adopt lol

• Barbara says:

No, its not fact that get pregnant after adopting. Yes, it can happen but its not common. The majority of people that adopt do so after trying to conceive a child for years. I really hope the show does not go the magical pregnancy route.

• Amy says:

I do. I’d love to see Meredith get pregnant and watch the evolution of a character who once thought she would not make a good mother, now juggle both a marriage, career and children. What a fun/interesting evolution for both Meredith and Derek. Plus it would be an amazing, funny, and I’m sure, emotional SL as well. Bring it on Shonda Rhimes!

• Cheryl says:

Every couple I know that have adopted because of trouble getting pregnant has gotten pregnant right away after adopting. It isn’t unusual at all. It works that way because after adopting, the couple relax and are not all uptight about getting pregnant and bingo, there ya are. LOL I had the same experience;my dr. assured me there was no reason why I couldn’t get pregnant, but it just wasn’t happening. He kept telling me I needed to relax about it. We took a trip to Europe and I came back pregant.

• Alia says:

Yeaaah, I would love to see Meredith pregnant and Derek takes care of her, would be so nice.

• Lucia says:

Overdone so many times on so many shows. The miracle preganancy.

17. Stephanie says:

Wow people need to calm down. She said Ellen Pompeo has been “super-committed” this season meaning that she was even more committed than the usual really committed she has always been. Stop overdramatizing over every word Shonda Rhimes says. :)

18. Dessy says:

That baby is so freakin’ cute!!

19. Russ says:

Bailey needs to go. I find her completely boring and don’t care who she hooks up with. What happened to ‘the nazi’? she is now the grandma-lady who keeps candy in her purse.

20. Ethan says:

Bailey and Ben – Does anyone really care about Bailey’s love life? It’s so dull and uninteresting.

21. Samantha says:

Beautiful picture of Meredith and Zola! Meredith needs to get back to working with Derek though. I think there will be a lot of Owen and Cristina for the rest of the season as they try to work through all their issues. Alex needs a girlfriend. I think Mark and Lexie will eventually get back together. Rehash of Mer/Der break up/make up story line with the longing looks and having to work with someone who is sleeping with your ex. Julia is like Rose. They show her with Mark but never just the two of them. They don’t want to lose the Mark and Lexie fans. I like Ben with Bailey. He makes her seem more human.

22. Katrin says:

Can Mark hook up with Jackson PLEASE? That’s what would make the show intersting again for me! THAT! *lol* I love their beginning “bromance” if you wanna call it this way and Mark thinks Jackson is pretty… and Mark thinks that Jackson is hot… and Jackson looks up to him. Jackson admires him… and I hope, with all that happens, there will at least be a LITTLE bit hurt/comfort between those two… I mean, jackson screwed up BIG TIME…

I’M sorry but I never really cared for Meredith/Derek or Cristina/Owen or Mark/Lexie or whatsoever… I always had a thing for the “underdogs” and the “non-canon” pairings…

The only exception: Callie/Arizona, but they are very in the “background” right now… as a couple… as characters not so much, especially with the Callie/Jackson “mistake” storyline…

In MY eyes, they could do SO much with this, like Callie being all “mad” at Jackson and Mark trying to defend Jackson and getting into a fight with Callie and so on… now they are all involved, this could lead to SO much… but I doubt they are “important enough” that it will… I even doubt that we ever hear about the “Laura Case” again… or not this soon :( Which sucks, but would be totally normal for GA…

Still I stick to my opinion… I find it quite intersting how much Mark and Jackson think about each other with all that has happened (especially with Lexie)…

(but before someone thinks about insulting me – YES, I AM crazy, YES, I KNOW Mark and Jackson are straight and this is NEVER going to happen, but a girl can dream, right? :-P)

23. Svenja says:

Meredith is awesome this season.
    Her joy when Zola returned was so touching.
    Glad that Bailey gets some loooove.
    Looking forward to see Meredith and Derek balancing their personal and professional lifes.

I am not a big fan of Mexie anymore. S7 kinda killed it for me (personally), but that is just me. I wonder what Shonda’s plans are for them. But that is just me ;)
    Glad that Mexie fans get the love again.

24. Kathleen says:

What about Callie and Arizona?!?

25. Beatriz says:

I love Mark & Lexie together. She brought out the softer side of him. Before her, he was a pig. A HOT pig, but a pig!

26. Miriam says:

It will be interesting if Burke back for cristina and Izzie too but she to take back her job please it will be more drama

27. jennifer maxson pierson says:

i think its awesome for meridith and derek they need soe lasting happiness for a while, mark and lexi absolutely belong together hope something becomes of them getting back together amd staying together, owen aned christina belong together as well, is carev gonna find his true love? and im hoping callie and arizonas happiness continues as well this show is amazing i love it very devoted to this show i feel so close to the actors actresses when watching it its amazing :)

28. uche says:

miss burke nd george. Meredith nd derek own d show.alex made 4 izzie.christina nd owen no chemistry.mark nd lexie hmmm comment processing

29. Sherry says:

So here is what I have been thinking ever since George signed up for the Army. He got shipped out Immediately to an Unlnown region (not uncommon) and he was Not, and I repeat Not the Man that saved the Woman from the Bus Accident. Did anyone really persue any identifying DNA besides Meredith and Callie, identifying some mark on the dead man’s hand. (really???)
    I think that now that Obama is releasing the men from the War that George should be released for his 1st trip home since joining the Army…..

30. angelica says:

I completely agree, I want to know his issues

31. Sarah says:

Ok, here’s my prediction: Owen and teddy had great chemistry, much better than her with any of her other men on the show (including Henry) and we all know the abortion put a serious crack in Owen and Cristina’s relationship,…soooo…. I predict Owen will be there for teddy in the aftermath of Henry’s death and all those feelings will come back, they will have a 1 night stand or something and teddy will get pregnant from it…..this would cause some great drama for that love triangle….

• shilpi says:

Ohhh PLeaseeeee…already everyone is sleeping with everyone else…let owen and christina stay exclusive with each other…might be interesting to see jackson and april…Alex needs new girlfriend coz though i loved izze-alex..they totally ruined it with the way they showed izze’s exit….and maybe andrew perkins comes back from germany for teddy..though as shonda says she is not even there to look for love somewhere else.

32. jenny says:

I thought that Derek’s contract is up this year, that this would be his last season?

33. olivia cascio says:

Amen!!!!!

34. Janae says:

I don’t know if they “belong” together, but I did enjoy seeing them together, and there is an obvious chemistry. I’m personally more interested ion seeing Owen and Christina develop.

35. lliani says:

I though the same thing too but let’s remember Ellen did have a baby not too long ago, throught the episodes she donated part of her liver to her dad.

36. Tracey says:

I want more Callie and Adizona!

• Vicki says:

Personally I don’t see what Arizona sees in Callie. Callie bores me. I wishs she’d break out or something and surprise us all. Take a stand in order to add a bit of interest to her character. But Arizona, ahhh now that’s what i call personality. She’s great! i just loved it when she ditched Callie at the airport a couple of seasons ago as she took off to Africa. She stood her ground. that’s character!! Callie needs a major personality makeover. the only episode i loved of Callie was the musical.

37. Tracey says:

Arizona!! Oops

38. Gail says:

Just comments
    Christina and Burke are more suited
    Owen and Teddy would be a great pair
    Merideth and Derek belong together
    Mark and Lexie. She might be able to straighten the hunk out
    Izzie is great for Alex
    Bailey needs the softer side maybe with the chief just sayin, although Ben is pretty cool
    Jackson and April. Man he is hot

39. Heather says:

That would certainly be a shocker. I can see how that would be HOT, but just in a shocking, slam your hand over your mouth kinda way. Congrats for thinking outside the box though. ;c)

40. lyndo says:

Um you spelled grammar incorrectly. Nice try though.

41. MAGDALENA says:

I just past my anatomy test yesterday and I was great !
    I was thinking about all of them and I had an amaising inspiration !
    Thancks !! Kisses and hugs ! Magdalena – Como, Italy

42. Vicki says:

Sloan and Lexie are just not in sync with each other. Not that i’m a pro in relationships but some things like the ‘sexy’ factor just isn’t there for Lexie. She’s all about the work – wanting to stand out at work – just too ambitious. Which is fine but Sloan on the other hand is a sex devil – which i love about him. Why can’t the writers just find a more suitable partner for both of them.

43. Carrie says:

More Callie and Arizona!!! Forget about the others!!

44. Sarah 4 says:

I don’t know where you live but where I live I see all sorts of couples and to say that Bailey couldn’t get good looking guys because she isn’t a size 0 or charming enough is grossly wrong and shallow.There are PLENTY of men who prefer a bigger lady,also Bailey is independent,assertive,Educated,quick witted,feisty,smart and ocassionally vulnerable.. Which are all incredibly attractive qualities in a GROWN woman.This isn’t high school,who is to say who deserves what.Like I said,I don’t know where you live but I live in a big City and see all types.Personally I’m hoping Ben sticks around.

45. kim says:

They were trying to prove something…ding bat…constructive criticism…and the writer didn’t have a problem…in fact she handled it very well…so put your head down..you’re in time out…lol

46. Danny says:

Love the show and I really hope Callie and Arizona will be given big important storylines. They are the most interesting people/couple on the show.
    I like the idea of Mark and Lexie together and I think Owen is meant to Teddy. Christina is great and I love her personality but I don’t think Owen is a match.

47. ANUM says:

WHAT ABOUT ALEX KAREV NO PARTICULAR PARTNER FOR HIM ……DOESNT HE HAS RIGHT TO BE HAPPY …..SHOW HIS EVOLUTION TOO

• Gail says:

I think Alex is a good actor with a great heart. Love to see him have a couple of shows at least where he falls in love and for once is happy.I liked the show tonight what did everyone else think about it. I hate the thoughts that this may be the last year for the show. I didn’t watch it at the start. I started to watch it about four seasons in and loved it so much that I borrowed all the full seasons and watched them all at once. Night after night until I seen everyone of them. LOVED IT. Would do it all over again if I had to.

48. Tina says:

Definitely more of Cristina and Owen! Or simply Cristina’s love life.. I can’t believe they never continued the story line to include Jackson. Would have been sosoo interesting !

49. Rachael says:

Teddy/Owen is a great pairing. Not to sure about the Mark/Lexie connection. Alex is still hurting about Izzie, and it would be great to see him get his act together and stop being a jerk. Mer/Der is a given. Let them raise Zola and be happy together. Bailey/Ben… not a great pairing there.