Exclusive

Exclusive: Community Pays Homage to Law & Order With Crime-Themed Episode

Get ready to despise Community‘s ongoing hiatus even more in three, two, one…

TVLine has learned exclusively that an upcoming episode of NBC’s currently benched sitcom will pay homage to late, great procedural Law & Order.

Community Cast Reveals What Will Happen When (Yes, When!) the Show Returns

The story behind “Basic Lupine Urology” is as zany as you’d expect from Community: The Greendale gang must channel their inner Lennie Briscoes when someone allegedly sabotages their science experiment — the yam they’re attempting to sprout is demolished! — and they decide to investigate the crime.

Once the Human Being in question is unearthed, Annie “Jack McCoy” Edison prosecutes the perp to the fullest extent of the law Greendale’s Code of Conduct, with Michael K. Williams’ Professor Kane acting as judge.

Exclusive: Community Is Going to War — Over Another Massive Blanket Fort!

And here’s the best part: Sources tell us the episode will feature the crime drama’s signature “dun-dun” sound effect!

Are you excited to see Community pay homage to Law & Order? Hit the comments!

TAGS: , , ,
GET MORE: Exclusive, Scoop, Spoilers

1. Sarah says:

Sounds awesome! And somehow the best part is that the “dun-dun” will be there! I can’t wait. Oh, yeah, the stupid hiatus. :insert despair smiley face here: #twentyfourseasonsandamooncolony

2. @LongTallSally08 says:

Is this Megan Ganz’s episode that she and the cast were tweeting about last week? Is Jeff going to put some of his lawyer skills to work? Will Annie’s lawyering make Jeff fall even harder for her?

I hate the hiatus. I hate it, I hate it, I hate it!

• Casey says:

Yes, I think it’s the Megan Ganz episode they filmed last week. Based upon my Twitter stalking, I think the episode will also feature all the guys in suits and ties (table-read picture)Annie growling like a wolf, and… dicks? (tweets between Ganz, Harmon and Brie).

I really wish NBC would just put the show back on this Thursday. Can’t they do the 3-hour block of comedy like they did last year? Put Community on at 10 o’clock. The audience is young. We’ll watch it at 10.

C’mon NBC. Have a heart.

3. Timelord says:

When the ‘ human being ‘is found. does that mean the green dale mascot is the culprit

4. Mal says:

Damn you, NBC!!! I miss it, I miss it so much!

5. K. says:

This is pure genius. Thank you Community!

6. Winnie says:

Ooh, is it Todd (or his Turtle from the Terrarium) getting revenge? Chang wanting to stay relevant (within the group’s regular thoughts)…

I love that the signature Law & Order sound (or something similar) will be there. There was a commercial several years back on USA where the actors were noting what they personally call that sound. My favorite was Dann Florek’s “that’s the ‘doink-doink’”… What I’m happiest about is the return of Michael K. Williams and his LEGO set issues…

7. Giddy! says:

Oh, boy! That sounds like a real treat! Love Community! It is one ubber funny show!

8. Is this Dan Harmon’s way of convincing NBC to keep them on the air? Proving that they are better at producing a Law & Order spin-off better than the last several NBC has gotten behind? If so, it’s a pretty brilliant plan.

9. MJ says:

Damn you NBC!
    This episode sounds fantastic. I wonder if Jeff will be the defense lawyer because it would be weird to have Annie as a lawyer when Jeff is the real lawyer.

• Casey says:

I don’t know. Annie’s really smart, and something tells me “real lawyer” skills won’t be needed to solve a case of yam sabatage ;)

• LC says:

Because it will be hilarious to see Annie trying to be a Lawyer. You know she will go out of her way to be the best Lawyer she can be. There is so much comedy to be had there, rather than just have Jeff make his Winger speech. :)

• Mary R. says:

Well Annie and Jeff have apparently gone to the same amount of law school, so I’d say it’s reasonable. Maybe he’ll be her Angie Harmon.

• Cloudy Knight says:

Pretty sure Jeff went to law school. It’s the undergraduate degree that he’s lacking. That’s why he had to go to Greendale in the first place. His college degree was fake. Jeff’s smart, but there’s no way he could fake a law degree and actually function as a lawyer.

10. Dean says:

I can’t understand why there aren’t more people watching the awesomeness that is Community. Most shows would need a reason why they should do a homage or special episode. Community doesn’t. If Whitney fails in the new timeslot (I sure hope it does), NBC can give it to Community and hopefully it’ll benefit from The Office’s lead in.

• Cloudy Knight says:

Whitney has already been moved to Wednesdays. Up All Night has the post Office timeslot now. (haha post Office!). I’m not sure that moving Community to Wednesdays will help the ratings much, but at least it will be on the air.

11. Lynn says:

Off course they use the “dun-dun”! How could they even think about doing this without the “dun-dun”!

12. Joleine says:

I looked at the “when” for, like, 40 minutes. I’m so excited!!! It’s such an underrated tv show, it deserves much more appreciation!

• Josh says:

This is the best show ever to exist, but that’s a little over the top.

• Angela says:

Yeah, the “when” part makes me happy and gives me major hopes this show can be saved, too. NBC has to be willing to give this show more time, it just HAS to. There’s been many instances in which a show’s come close to dying away only to be rescued and do just fine in the end.

Anywho, this show…so, yeah, I haven’t seen a whole lot of “Law & Order”, but hell, who cares, I’m definitely excited to see what happens with this. I can only imagine what all they can do with this storyline-Jeff getting a chance to flex some lawyer muscle, legitimate or no, will be fun to watch. And, of course, I’m excited to see what their other episodes will be like, too.

“When” the show comes back. I must keep that in mind. “When.” *Jumps up and down* Now all I need’s a return date and I’m officially a happy girl.

13. Lew Holzman says:

One of the best shows on TV!

14. AKSGrl says:

This is a case of “so close yet so far”. It’s such a tease NBC!

15. Evy Yve says:

Glorious!!!

16. Alex says:

Such an incredible show. I’m sure it’s on hiatus to build even more hype.

17. Mick says:

Dick Wolf…Lupine Urology…get it?

18. eric says:

News like this is bittersweet: at least we know for sure it’s coming back on, but it’s just so frustrating that a show this great had to be benched and its future is in danger (I’m talking the very well-deserved Season 4). #sixseasonsandamovie!!!

19. Debra says:

Why isn’t this awesome show being promoted more? It deserves more promotion. It’s innovative, smart/clever, and the characters are like nothing else on T.V.

20. Sam says:

NBC is terrible..they cancel and bench so many great shows…for crap like Whitney and whatever that show with the Arquette guy is..who cares..they aren’t funny..they are hardly watchable..BRING BACK COMMUNITY AND CHUCK YOU FOOLS!!!

21. Stephanie says:

I read the first line of this article and immediately thought, “yeah right, NOTHING could make me despise this stupid hiatus more than I already do”. Then I read the rest of it.

I WANT COMMUNITY TO COME BACK. NOW.

22. Cami says:

Oh, god, I can’t contain myself! Not only does it look hilarious, but now Annie can have a decent storyline besides all the Jeff and Annie stuff (where she is pretty much just serving as Jeff’s lust object) I’m looking forward to some stellar acting and awesome comedy this spring!

23. Daniel says:

I cant believe nbc brought back that terrible show ‘fear factor’ but benched Community. What are they thinking.

24. Taylor says:

Damn you nbc. Honestly you don’t want community to go the same way as arrested development. Get it in a better time slot and you’ll get better ratings. You don.t throw away a diamond just because it hasn’t gotten enough compliments when you’ve left it sitting on a shelf.

25. CateB says:

Human being? So we know it’s not Troy’s monkey. Bring Community back already!!

26. LC says:

This sounds awesome! I love me some badass Annie Edison! She rocks when she’s like this. Should be so funny. I cannot wait…oh, yeah, looks like I’ll have to. Damn you NBC. Damn you to hell!

• Ryan_Sezcwik84 says:

I love all variations of Annie Edison, even the times when she’s not-so-badass because that’s what makes her seem like a real girl. Best Annie so far though? Season 2 Paintball. Hands Down. Beyond Hot.

I can’t decide if I’m more in love with Annie or Allison.

27. godzilla's_foil says:

Bring Community baaaack!

• Dun Dun says:

I KNOW!! I hate the way the television industry works. 95% of shows are stupid and the 5% of shows actually worth watching get cancelled or put on hiatus. I’m also feeling like #savecommunity was a total waste of time. Nothing has changed. The show is still (only maybe) coming back sometime in March of April and probably not coming back for season 4. All our enthusiasm doesn’t translate into cold, hard cash, and that’s all anyone really cares about.

28. Pipin says:

BUT WE HAVE SOOOO MAY FUNY SHOWWWWWWS likeeeee

Whitney and The Office that is MORE funny now with out Steve and The BigBang thats not bean repetitive in the last 2 seasons and so on and on

29. Charlie says:

Can’t Wait!!!! I love Community! Best show on tv!!

30. The Squatch says:

I must be the only person who actually likes Whitney…

I think it is the boyfriend who makes the show amusing though. The Whitney “character” is just too toned down from her real personality. Overall though, I actually enjoy the show. I don’t understand when people try and say that Community is being kept off the air by Whitney. I don’t think one has anything to do with the other.

Don’t get me wrong, Community is probably the funniest show on TV right now and it is definitely my favorite. I just happen to like Whitney as well. The two do not have to be mutually exclusive.

31. Amber says:

Epic news! I plan to enjoy it thoroughly if I ever get to actually see it, and if I get lucky enough to hear the L&O theme song, I will be playing air saxophone in my living room.

32. Yeti says:

I cannot wait! No doubt that it’s going to be amazing. #sixseasonsandamovie

33. amy says:

NBC is a no good B. Seriously though, I’m miserable without my favorite show. Any story involving Annie is already my favorite. Also, if its written by Megan ganz, it must be awesome.

34. Raksha says:

oh god…this is happy and sad news at the same time…

35. Candice Popplewell says:

Just give me mcre community.

36. James Shade says:

That doesn’t seem to make much sense. Why would Annie be Jack McCoy? She seems a better choice for any one of his long line of female understudies…er, Jr. ADAs…

You know what, I’m sure it’ll work in episode.

37. yorname says:

Community is an awesome show!!. Please keep them on air or ill kill someone at my comunity college.. Ill blame it on nbc for the crime and then the community cast will have to have a second episode of law and order and then jeff can be my lawyer in that episode?

38. grace says:

community is the best comedy nbc has right now!!

39. Nick says:

Hurry up and bring it back already!!

40. Kristian says:

The only reason this show doesn’t kill is because it’s up against one of the only other shows that competes with it on every level. Move it out of being directly against Big Bang Theory and it would be doing much better.

41. Jeanine Hindt says:

Community is by far one of the best shows on television. Metaphorically speaking it takes the above average mind to another level while still giving the lay person entertainment. Where has it gone? I would love to see it come back.

42. Greetings! Very helpful advice within this post! It’s the little changes that produce the largest changes. Thanks for sharing!