TVLine Items: Parks and Recreation Elects Paul Rudd, Alcatraz Meets Facts of Life and More!

We’ve got ourselves a horse race, folks! Parks and Recreation has tapped Paul Rudd to play Leslie’s opponent in Pawnee’s hotly-contested race for City Council.

Details surrounding his role are scarce, but per Vulture (which broke the news), Rudd’s politico will pop up on Parks within the next month. Meanwhile, as we first reported, Free Agents‘ Kathryn Hahn will play an adviser to Rudd’s character.

No word yet on whether Rudd will share scenes with his I Love You, Man leading lady — and Parks and Rec star — Rashida Jones.

Ready for more of today’s TV dish? Well…

Showtime’s House of Lies debuted to 1.6 million viewers across three airings on Sunday, besting the Season 1 premiere night for Homeland (which amassed 1.38 million). Of note, the House of Lies pilot had been available for nearly two weeks prior via online streaming and On Demand viewing, and Sunday’s ratings do not include non-subscribers who watched the episode as part of Showtime’s free preview weekend. Shameless Season 2, meanwhile, opened to 1.6 million viewers in its initial airing, improving on its series debut by 61 percent.

• Facts of Life alumna Geri Jewel will be paying a visit to Fox’s Alcatraz, TVLine has learned exclusively, appearing in circa-1960s flashbacks as the eccentric sister of deputy prison warden E.B. Tiller (played by Jason Butler Harner). Fox’s Alcatraz opens its doors to the public on Monday, Jan. 16, at 8/7c.

Tiva ‘shippers may want to avert their eyes… now: Perry Reeves is coming to NCIS as Tony’s former fiancée, Wendy. According to TVGuide.com, the Entourage vet’s recurring role begins on — dun, dun, dun! — Valentine’s Day, and will most certainly stir up some old feelings for the former flames.

• TNT has ordered a pilot for L.A. Noir, a drama series based on the acclaimed novel by the same name, which centers on “the epic battle” between Los Angeles Police Chief William Parker and mobster Mickey Cohen. Former Walking Dead showrunner Frank Darabont is an executive producer on the project and will write and direct the pilot.

Country music star Miranda Lambert will make her acting debut in an upcoming episode of Law & Order: SVU, TVGuide.com reports. Lambert is set to play an actress accusing a reality show producer (played by Smallville‘s Michael McKean) of rape.

ABC has given the green light to a drama pilot by Shield creator Shawn Ryan. Per Deadline, the potential series, titled Last Resort, is set in the not-so-distant future and follows the crew of a U.S. nuclear submarine who become fugitives after refusing to fire their missiles.

Marcia Gay Harden (Law & Order: SVU) has landed the lead role in an NBC comedy pilot, titled Isabel. The potential series centers on a seemingly normal family raising a daughter with magical powers. Harden will play the titular character’s mother.

Nip/Tuck alumna Rhona Mitra has been tapped as the new female lead in the upcoming second season of Cinemax’s Strike Back, per Deadline.

Which TVLine Items have you talking today?

Comments (18)

• Mike.. i mean Paul Rudd! Just the latest string of great Parks & Rec guest stars. Will this be Rashida & Paul’s 3rd or 4th time working together? 3rd?..

Comment by JJ – January 9, 2012 01:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Shameless was good as always. House of LIes — I don’t get it. WHERE WAS KRISTIN BELL? Don Cheadle is great in the movies, but he was just not good here. I thought Bell was a co-star, but looks like this is the Cheadle show and she’s just a love interest. I just don’t think I can take a show about rich people getting richer. If I want that I’ll just turn on the news.

Comment by sash fan – January 12, 2012 09:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • PAUL RUDD? Hyperventilating, Hyperventilating, Hyperventilating!! AMAZING!

Comment by Conor – January 9, 2012 01:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That is EXACTLY how I feel. Best news EVER! Man this show never disappoints! This news is now the highlight of my day…and this, a day that I’m leaving for a ski trip to boot! I…CANNOT…WAIT…forthisepisodetofreakingAIR!

Comment by Natalie – January 10, 2012 08:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Paul Rudd on Parks and Rec is the best news EVER. i love parks and rec and i love him sooo much. if only he could stick around…

Comment by Rachel – January 9, 2012 01:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Paul Rudd was totally hilarious in the movie OUR IDIOT BROTHER.

Comment by kevin – January 9, 2012 01:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Where Hahn played his ex-girlfriend!

Comment by JenH – January 9, 2012 03:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • P&R have the best casting ever! Just another great move!

Comment by Sarah – January 9, 2012 01:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hope House Of Lies, keep the good ratings, i liked the show

Comment by fernando – January 9, 2012 02:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I absolutely love Paul Rudd.
    I’m thrilled he is going to be on P&R!

Comment by Eliza – January 9, 2012 02:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Paul Rudd? I didn’t watch P&R but I will have to for him!

Comment by Megalion – January 9, 2012 03:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Every time that I think Parks & Rec can’t get any more amazing, the show proves me wrong. Paul Rudd will fit in perfectly. His character should have a thing with Ann too. Can’t wait.

Comment by Lauren – January 9, 2012 03:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • More excited for him to get scenes with his bff of 20 years Adam Scott!

Comment by Ceecile – January 9, 2012 03:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I was thinking the same thing! Everyone keeps talking about Rashida Jones, but I want to see the scenes with him and Adam Scott. It’d be funny if they hated each other. It’ll definitely be interesting anyway. I’ve loved Paul Rudd since Clueless, so I can’t wait for this!

Comment by Lindsey – January 9, 2012 04:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Rudd is a perfect piece of casting for the tone of Parks and Rec. Now if only they can get their dream guest of Bill Murray as the Mayor…

Comment by John – January 9, 2012 03:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love Paul Rudd! Way to go P&R

Comment by Lisa – January 9, 2012 04:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Parks and rec has awsome cast and always get the coolest guest stars excited with these ones paul rudd and louie ck can’t wait to see the blooper reels for this season there ganna be amazing cuz all these guest star are really good friends with the castmembers *********without a dough parks and rec have the best blooper reels if ur not a fan of the show you’ll get hook after watching the blooper reels I recomend u watch them I buy the dvds bt u can also watch them on youtube

Comment by vane – January 9, 2012 06:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Paul Rudd and Parks and Rec? Consider my mind blown.
    Also, decent numbers for House of Lies. Hope it stays steady.

Comment by em – January 9, 2012 11:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post