ABC Family Sets Return Dates for Secret Life and MIOBI, Ponders New Life for Chloe King

After a long wait, fans of Make It or Break It can mark their calendars for the show’s return.

The ABC Family gymnastics drama will be back for Season 3 on March 26 at 9/8c — just in time for the 2012 Olympics — following the Season 4.5 premiere of The Secret Life of the American Teenager, the cabler announced Monday at the Television Critics Association press tour.

As for one drama that won’t be returning, the axed The Nine Lives of Chloe King, ABC Family president

CLICK TO ENLARGE

CLICK TO ENLARGE

Michael Riley insisted that the network “loved the cast [and] the writing,” but “we had to choose what was resonating stronger.”

However, in true cat-like fashion, Chloe may get yet land on its feet. “[We're] looking into moving a movie into development,” revealed Riley.

Also on the docket: Elixir , the network’s first movie musical, plus a new Christmas movie called Mistletones. “Who wouldn’t want to watch a movie about dueling carol teams?” enthused Riley.

1. Hmm says:

I thought Secret Life of the American Teenager had been cancelled. Shailene Woodley was pretty good in The Descendants, I was hoping for her sake that SL had been cancelled. She can do better.

• SonR says:

hopefully Amy can grow up this season

• jj says:

yeah, i haven’t seen the descendants, yet, but was SHOCKED that she got good reviews/nominations for it. Her acting on Secret Life is abysmal. Well, most of the kids are bad, but she was particularly bad. The fact that the writing is abominable doesn’t help. I don’t care if you were trained at Royal Academy, you STiLL wouldn’t be able to do anything with it, really… I saw an interview where Shailene talked about how the movie was like doing acting boot camp. It will be interesting to see if she was able to take any of her newly learned acting skills and translate it to her old role.

• kal says:

I HATE THE SECRET LIFE. the show is stupid itself yes, but first you have to get past the fact that ABC is basically adversizing that it’s okay to be a pregnant teen no matter what you will have support from the cast on this show blah blah blah. YOU GOT PREGNANT. TAKE RESPONDSABILITY OR DONT HAVE SEX. YOU DONT WANT TO BE PREGNANT, DONT HAVE SEX. sick that this family network would support this.

• Lauren says:

Are you serious? I have nothing good to say about the quality of the show, but I don’t know why the subject matter is bad.
          Amy got pregnant, she decided to keep the baby, and she tries her best to raise him. She stayed in school, she got a job, the kid is healthy. She’s a bit whiny and self-obsessed, but she is still a teenager. I’m not sure how you think this show is such a bad role-model for teenagers, or why you think she isn’t taking responsibility for her baby. Obviously getting pregnant as a teenager is not the ideal situation, but it does happen, and it shouldn’t be swept under the rug. The show doesn’t say that being a teenager mother is a good thing; on the contrary it shows how difficult it is.

• Annie says:

There not advertiseing sex…….Your right its sad they they play it on ABC Family but we cant choose what they play on this channel its there choice and your wrong this isnt a stupid show its so shoes

• Annie says:

The showe, isnt that bad its actully a good show and if up have nothimg good to say about it keep your obinion to you self….

• blah says:

secret life should have been cancelled a long time ago. THE PLOT SUCKS, and she can do better though I didn’t think she was phenomenal in the descendants. THE DESENDANTS WAS A INCREDIBLE MOVIE.

2. jessica says:

A movie!!???? Please please please!!!

3. lauren says:

yes, please bring back chloe king!

4. SonR says:

yes movie format would be good for “chloe king” all the b-plot drama really slowed down the show. why drag out the brian/chloe story line over 10 episodes? it just got annoying, i was glad when he was killed.

• dane says:

I think Brian/Chloe really had no chemistry and that was part of the issue. They weren’t bad actors.. it just seemed forced. Chloe had better chemistry with Alec and they should have explored that more.

5. Liz says:

I really hope they make a movie for the nine lives of chloe king. I was so irritated when they left it on a cliff hanger and then canceled the show!

• Tlynn says:

I really hope they pick up the Nine Lives! I was totally into that show, and to end it like they did with no plans to bring it back for a 2nd season is almost criminal. So if there are plans to make it into a movie I am all for that,,maybe even a mini-series would be nice,,but please don’t just leave it hanging!

• dane says:

In my mind Brian died. The end. I did not love that character.

6. keysha says:

So if emily wont b back on MIOBI i wont b back watching it. She made the show her and damon.

• SonR says:

her coming back would make a great story, but would totally glorify teen pregnancy

• Joe says:

Why?

You have no idea what type of story they would give her, her role in the show, and the position and effect of tem pregnancy that the writers would take.

• dane says:

I disagree. She will not be returning to competitive gymnastics post baby.. but she could come back as a coach at the Rock. Showing her struggling to support herself and her child while watching other people live HER dream is absolutely NOT a glorification of teen pregnancy.

• Lauren says:

They totally burned that bridge. I think they were so mad at Chelsea Hobbs for getting pregnant that they wrote her off in a way that made it pretty much impossible for her to come back. Even if she had a miscarriage her body would have changed too much for her to come back. Not that I blame them. I don’t know what the hell was she thinking getting pregnant. It’s not like she’s a stupid teenager, she’s married and already had another kid. Her selfish carelessness put at least two other people out of work as well. If I were the actors playing her mother, brother and Damon I’d be royally pissed at her. I loved Emily and I can’t really imagine the show without her but you can hardly blame them for being mad at Chelsea Hobbs for being so irresponsible.

• kjess says:

Please tell me you were being sarcastic! A married woman who wants to start a family, and puts that before her career is not selfish or careless. She has another child and probably wanted a bigger family. Putting family first is not something any woman should be chastised for.
        As for the other actors, Chloe (mom) had enough scenes aside from Emily that she could still be on the show, and the brother didn’t have more than a small supporting role, AND it is the studio’s decision whether to write anyone out, not one actor’s.

• Joe says:

It really depends on what was in her contract in regards to pregnancy and beng unable to fulfill her contract.

• Lauren says:

No, I’m not being sarcastic. Chelsea Hobbs is not a banker, barber or retail manager. Like professional athletes entertainers have an obligation to the people who invest money in their careers. Emily was the main character of a show about teenage gymnasts. When she accepted that role it put her under obligation to not have a child till the show was over. Getting pregnant was selfish and completely unprofessional. She may as well have spit on her manager and her agent. No one is going to want to work with an actor who’ll crap all over her co-workers and the network and make decisions that will jeopardize the series. Emily’s story was the driving story in the show and now they have to finish the series without the main characters story. This was completely unacceptable behavior for a professional actress. I believe in putting family first, I have two children but when you chose a career in TV and you chose to take a leading role you are making a commitment to the network and the show and she obviously didn’t respect that.

• jj says:

i agree with you. It’s not like she was running out of time to have kids. I respect the choice she made, but you do reap what you sow when (IF) she broke her contract agreement. As a 20 something person, it’s not unreasonable to put having a family (or expanding it) on hold for a few years for your career. but that’s assuming an acting career is important to her. Perhaps it is not. But it did mess up one of (if not the main) story lines and I wish they had not written the character off the way they did. It just seemed so ridiculous and untrue to the character…

• dane says:

Ridiculous. They did not HAVE to write in her pregnancy. She would not have been showing for a few months at least. The writing team CHOSE to use it as a vehicle for the show. Even if she was 9 months and as big as a car during filming, they could have hidden her belly – it’s something that’s been done a million times in the past.

I don’t care if you are a banker or an actor.. you are still a human being before you are a commodity. We don’t know the circumstances to her pregnancy and it’s silly to judge the actress in this manner.

A good writing team is able to handle ANY hurdle an actor throws at them.

• Ana says:

She was already showing in some of the episodes which is why they had to write her pregnancy into the show. I’m sure they could’ve found a way to bring her character back if they truly wanted to but chances are Chelsea Hobbs just didn’t want to.

• Lauren says:

According to Chelsea Hobbs twitter she did want to come back and she plans to continue acting. So the whole “a family is more important to her” argument is bogus. When you’re establishing yourself as an actor there are sacrifices. Big life consequence sacrifices. The rewards come in the millions but you can’t get there if you get a reputation for putting your emotions before the business. That being said I think she must have pissed someone off in a major way. She was definitely showing in the second half of the season. I went back after I found out she was pregnant in real life and checked. Whether or not there was a way to work around it the network shouldn’t have had too. She was mostly unknown and she’s working on a cable TV show. If she wanted a career she should have been more careful.

• C.H aka Em says:

You are a ignorant dumbass**…It’s not your show, and your not an actor by any means. So get off your high horse of fake unfounded expertise, and get a life.

• Sarah says:

It’s not irresponsible to get pregnant with your husband’s child when you are 27 years old. Good grief.

• Ms. Chanandler Bong says:

This might be a little extreme, but something must have happened because there are other ways to hide a pregnancy…even on a show where they wear leotards 90% of the time. Plus most shows would accommodate a pregnancy. Emily always had that chip on her shoulder. I just hope Summer gets back together with Sasha!

7. Rose says:

WTF?!? I hadn’t even heard Chloe had been canceled!!! The ending of the last episode was a huge cliffhanger!! That sucks. I have actually been waiting for it to return.

8. amberjj says:

SOO excited for Make it or Break it to come back!! Its my favorite ABC Family show for sure!

9. David says:

Secret Life is better than people give it credit for I think. I watched it all back to back on Netflix when TV was slow over the summer and it filled a void and ended up being pretty entertaining.

• jema says:

It’s especially fun if you drink every time the kids say “sex”!

• jj says:

you must be high. the dialogue? stilted and unnatural. the acting? wooden. the plots? ridiculous. i used to check in to it on demand for awhile just to see how awesomely bad it was, but then it just became boring and depressingly bad. The show should’ve been cancelled years ago. It’s one bad Afterschool Special for the new millenia just drawn out and out and out…

10. Carla says:

Yaaaaay, I am SO excited for Make it or Break it! Thanks for the post, TVLine :) Also, I’m glad that Emily’s gone, and I can’t wait for the girls to finally go to the Olympics. Please let us know when you have any spoilers!

11. Rachel says:

They really should move chloe to syfy or cw11 — clearly it was too good for the network that touts secret life and miobi… seriously.

12. LJ says:

Instead of keeping Chloe King on they renewed The Lying Game, which isn’t half as good as Chloe was.

• Kathryn says:

To be honest, I liked both shows but The Lying Game fits in with the stable of shows that ABC Family is creating. Chloe was a good idea, but to be honest Lying seemed to get better as the season progressed, where I don’t believe Chloe improved all that much.

13. Brandy says:

Cant wait for miobi, though I really wish emily was still on it.

14. sara says:

CHOLE KING MOVIEE!!!!!!

15. Ogla says:

I know there were many negative comments about it but The Nine Lives of Chloe King was a good show with a great cast. I welcome Michael Riley’s revelation. It is a very good decision to have a movie, hopefully movies.

16. Mvan says:

I loved nine lives of cloey king and I am very sad its not comming back. Why is that?

17. Emily says:

I thought I was seeing things when I saw this headline! Chloe King was far from the best show, but I enjoyed it. I’ve come to terms with the cancellation, but I’d so be down with a movie!

18. Joe says:

No Captain. Not so. Actors are under a legal contract that will contain conditions for working. While nothing might top a baby from coming, it could result in fines, fired or being sued if it means an actor violates their contract.

So no, a baby and self Internet does not always come first. ctors sign these contracts, they are obligated to them.

Sometimes one needs to be grown up and can’t just do whatever they want, when they want. Including having a kid.

19. Jim says:

I loved the Nine Lives of Chloe King, but I hate when they cancel a show with so many unresolved cliff-hangers. A couple of TV mini-movies would be in order to finish the story satisfactorily and then they can sell it on DVD.

20. Amanda says:

A Chloe King movie….I hope so :)

21. The Diva says:

I’m glad to see Chloe King might be getting a movie! I’m glad I wasn’t the only 1 who thought she had much better chemistry with Alec than Brian. Ben Stone was the reason I kept watching!

22. Tayler says:

I love secret life!! I just wish It came on sooner!! As a teenagers view I feel that the show actually keeps me away from sex at this age. I don’t plan on having sex anytime soon but it shows me the problems that you have to face. And that’s why I like watching the show

23. sabryna says:

BRING BACK THE NINE LIVES, I CANT LIVE WITHOUT IT, IM TIRED OF TV SHOWS ALWAYS BEING BOUT PREGNANCY AND SEX AND GIRLS FIGHTING OVER GUYS, THIS SHOWS AMAZING ITS UNIKE<3 ALEK AND CHLOE BETTER END TOGETHERRR <3

24. Betsy says:

I loved the nine lives and I’ve been catching up and recapping for the new season until I saw this! PLEASE MAKE A MOVIE OUT OF IT! IT WAS THE ONLY SUMMER SERIES I LIKED! MAKE A MOVIE!

25. jagwala moonbahobttiem says:

Secret life is a good show

26. jagwala moonbahobttiem says:

Id bugga Amy

27. RUUD says:

the nine lives of cloe king no end, I WANT IT BACK………