Exclusive

Exclusive: Cougar Town To Conclude Season 3 With a [MAJOR SPOILER ALERT]

How’s this for a screwed-up turn of events: Cougar Town is just days away from starting production on its Season 3 finale and ABC has yet to schedule the show’s season premiere.

C-Town‘s unceremonious and inscrutable benching was the hot topic at a non-ABC sanctioned event hosted Monday night by the comedy’s cast and crew for members of the Television Critics Association (which is in the midst of its bi-annual press tour). The soiree was part of a nationwide grassroots campaign orchestrated by series creators Bill Lawrence and Kevin Biegel to promote the show’s eventual return.

It was at said bash that details about the season finale emerged, so stop reading if you like your plot twists to remain unspoiled.

To everyone else, now hear this: Cougar Town will wrap its current season with a… Jules-Grayson wedding!

The TVLine Staff Shares Its 2012 Wish List for Cougar Town and Other Shows

“Bill and I did not want to do the, ‘Will they or won’t they’ thing,” Biegel explains to TVLine. “We wanted to do a real adult relationship with two people who make sense together. So the third season starts with Jules and Grayson getting engaged, and it ends with them getting married.”

The nuptials also serve to dispel the perception that Cougar Town is sitcom about a woman in her 40s shagging men half her age. “This answers the question about what this show is about — and it’s not Jules having sex with younger men,” notes Biegel. “It also gives us an arc to follow in Season 3.”

Cougar Town Exclusive: Meet Laurie’s New Beau!

For her part, Courteney Cox — who was on hand at Monday’s rogue reception — believes her once-divorced alter ego is ready to take the plunge again. “She’s done it before [with Travis’ father, Bobby],” she told TVLine, “and this one is going to go much better than the last one.”

TAGS: ,
GET MORE: Exclusive, Finales, News, Scoop

1. Amy says:

I’m so glad they are going this route instead of dragging us along wondering if the main couple will ever get together. Now if ABC will just take their crap shows off the air and put Cougar Town on the schedule, there would be something to pound grape over.

• strepsi says:

Aside from the excellent ensemble cast, the laughs per minute, the wonderful writing, the most convincing 2 words to bring Cougar Town back?

WORK IT.

The executive who pulled CT and put Work It on the air should be gelded.

2. LizA says:

PLEASE bring this show back, asap. I miss it so much. Its perfect with Happy Endings!

3. JJ says:

Ugh ABC, will you please let us FINALLY see this?! So annoying! This is the BEST comedy out there!

4. Eliza says:

I miss Cougar Town!

Please ABC, give us season 3 already.
    Man Up and Work It over CT? C’mon.

5. Matthew Thomas says:

Now this is a show that treats relationships intelligently just like Community and Parks & Recreation. Too many tv shows like to just drag out the will they/won’t they dynamic till it gets on viewers’ nerves. This is a much better way to deal with the situation.

6. Shari says:

Please, please bring CT back!!!!!

7. John says:

Penny can!

8. DougMac says:

It’s good that they’ll get some closure for what is likely a final season, but the kids/no kids arguement really seemed to be a tipping point for those two, they’ll have to do a good job making that one go away after spending so much time on it last season

• Christine says:

I thought Jules decided at the end of last season that she would be willing to have a child with him? I could be wrong because it seems like an ETERNITY since I’ve seen the show =( I definitely think that if it wasn’t resolved last season they’ll have to resolve it before they get engaged. They’re adults, they have to realize that that’s a pretty important issue to ignore if they are planning to get married.

• Ari says:

She told him she would go on any adventure with him. I’m so happy that they are planning to get married!!! This just made me SO excited for Cougar Town to return. Here’s hoping they get a fourth (but I doubt it. At this point I’ll just be glad to see the 3rd). Here’s hoping that Cougar Town will be back on the air by February! Also, I’m pretty sure my heart just burst out of the sheer cuteness of a Jules/Grayson wedding.

• Jones19 says:

Jules did agree to consider having another child in the season 2 finale.

9. Jessica says:

I’ve seen 3 episodes of the new season at the LA fan event and they are GREAT!!! I can’t wait for this season to start up again. I really believe it will be the funniest yet!

10. Jo says:

YES! I love, as everyone has said, that they’re not drawing this out. I remember that, while watching season 1, I was surprised that them getting together wasn’t the season finale and that they didn’t have some horrific bust up to end it either. They went through a normal human relationship and it just makes me love the series more.
    Now if only ABC could get their act together…

11. vane says:

ABC ur dumb totally agree this goes perfect with happy endings take out modern family this season sucks its getting annoying

12. Ethan says:

At this rate, CT will start filming Season 4 before we start seeing Season 3. ABC you suck.

13. Darcy says:

Can’t ABC just cut out the weeks of Work It we’ll have to sit through and cancel it now. It’s premiere was barely over 6 million. Seriously, cut the waiting game. Work It will fail and Cougar Town can take the time slot, but I don’t see what they’re waiting for to make what is a rather obvious decision.

14. cuius says:

“…dispel the perception that Cougar Town is sitcom about a woman in her 40s…”

In which case including “Cougar” in the title was a big mistake – next week’s spoiler – how “New Girl” will be about an old man next season

• LD says:

I thought it was a joke as the towns football mascot is a Cougar, I guess if you just surface judge things you could draw the wrong conclusion though.

• Agreed says:

People get so hung up on the titles of shows lately. It’s like HIMYM has to be about the mother in every single episodes otherwise people get all pissy and complain. Just enjoy the show! Who cares what the title is? Cougar Town is hands down one of the funniest shows of the past three years, even if it was called Elephant Poop Ball it would still be funny, not because of the title but because of the content of the show. I have a dream, that one day my shows will be judged not by the words in their title but by the content of their storylines.

15. rob60990 says:

Cougar Town is where it belongs. OFF SCHEDULE! :D

• Jake says:

I agree, this has got to be one of the most ridiculous shows on ABC..Cox couldn’t act her way in anything, she still is cruising on the after winds of Friends. Just don’t think she is that funny and really someone needs to feed her.

16. Nadine says:

I’m so look forward to the perfectly cast Cougar Town’s return. Does ABC provide an ETA?

17. raftrap says:

ABC should do what NBC did with “Community” and just be clear about it and say that the show IS going to air…I’m kidding both NBC and ABC did horrible with two of the best comedies on TV, they deserve their “Work it” and “The Firm”.

• Christine says:

I wish these networks would consider quality of the programming over ratings when they make their lineups. Community and Cougar Town are the two of the best comedies on tv and neither of them are currently airing.

• KSM says:

Unfortunately, if a program doesn’t have ratings, it doesn’t sell ad time, which means it doesn’t make money. If a show doesn’t make money, then the network has to pay to have the show made, and they aren’t getting any return on their investment. I agree, I wish that good shows could stay on the air as well, but it just doesn’t work that way. You need money to run a television network. No money – no network – no shows.

• Mitholas says:

To be honest, I think NBC is getting a little too much hate. I get it, it’s annoying that Community isn’t on the schedule. But they’ve been very clear that they will air it this season. They even seem committed to the show generally… they know it has a rabid fanbase. That’s worth a lot.

Also, look at other shows. NBC produces some of the best comedies out there and sticks with them despite disappointing ratings. Look at 30 Rock and Parks and Recreation. Not hugely succesful shows, but they’re still around. Community, by the was, has been a question mark regarding renewal over the years and they’ve stuck by that as well.

So give NBC some credit. What ABC is doing to Cougar Town is definitely worse, and neither network comes even close to the cancellation disgraces that FOX has been known to go for in the past.

• Carly says:

I agree. Don’t forget The Office. NBC gave them a 2nd season after a not-so-stellar 1st season, and it went on to win the Emmy. NBC gives its fair shot to shows (especially comedies) that have potential. Although I don’t know what to say about Whitney or Are You There, Chelsea?

• Gem says:

Too bad they are on different networks. A Community & Cougar Town back-to-back hour would be the most amazing hour on TV!

• Ari says:

I’ve been saying for months that NBC should initiate a trade. Whitney to CBS, HIMYM to ABC (where it could live out it’s last seasons as a mate for Happy Endings), and Cougar Town to NBC. Wouldn’t it be awesome if TV networks actually traded shows? I am pretty sure an hour of Community and Cougar Town would be the greatest hour of TV all week (throw in Parks & Rec either before or after and you’d have 90 minutes of comedy heaven.)

• Katy says:

Himym and happy endings are shown back to back in the uk, it’s awesome :) but as they are shown almost a year after they are in the us ( the only crappy channel that refuses to pay to get the shows weeks later) I watch them online. Cougar town is such a funny show, and I love jules and grayson and ESP not having to wait for them to get together! Hurry up and air it already!

• Carly says:

Yes! If I ran TV: Cougar Town with Community, followed by How I Met Your Mother and Happy Endings. The next night would be The Middle then Parks and Rec followed by Modern Family and Up All Night, which would be a great lead-in for Parenthood.
            Boom. Ratings explosion.

18. grace says:

ABC = A Bad Call

19. chaaly says:

Rob you’re just an idiot, get out!
    ABC tou suck! Bring Cougar Town back

20. penny can fans says:

Cant’ wait to see the wedding, awww love Juleson & can’t wait to see the war between Laurie & Ellie to be the bridesmaid ;)

• Tuffie L'Rue says:

I’ve always called them Grules. Lol! I hope they get a season 4 so we can see a season of a preggo Jules having to abstain from wine time! Well, I guess I’d really like to just see the 3rd season. Seriously, ABC WTF is going on over there?

• Darcy says:

I think Jules might be too old too have babies, which means that Laurie should be their surrogate! Just a dream of mine.

21. JJ says:

Still now formal announcement on a new title for the show?

It could be their last chance at success so CHANGE THE TITLE ASAP!!!

• Raftrap says:

I believe Kevin Biegel said in a recent interview “We’re a terribly named show, deal with it and suck my d**k.” It was a light-hearted interview, so don’t get offended, but I think the name stays.

22. Anne says:

If ABC isn’t going to give Cougartown a spot on it’s schedule then perhaps CBS or the struggling NBC need to pick it up and run with it. It’s been done before with other shows, why not one of the best comedies out there?

23. Stefan says:

I love the show so much! Please, just bring it back already!

24. Maty says:

I miss Cougar Town!! And a wedding could be fun!! lots, lots of wine

25. Gem says:

Ahhhhhh!!! Why did I read this?!? I wasn’t going to but I couldn’t help myself! :(

26. Loulou mordew says:

Please please put cougar town on back in britain!! Even my husband who is hard to please loved this show and insisted on watching the while series in one day, please keep it going it is so well loved here.

27. JB Smooove says:

What fudging idiots don’t schedule cougar town, but force us to the the bull**it know as man up, cross dresser show and Tim Allen’s new show. Ugh!!! Why am I unemployed and these VP’s have jobs.

28. Luis says:

I don’t want to know what’s going to happen. I want to know when its coming back on! This is ridiculous!!!

29. Bill Fraser says:

Cougar Town is one of the best sitcoms to come out of the States. I watch in the north of Scotland. Series 1 and 2 get aired all the time here and series 3 is eagerly awaited.

30. Rebecca says:

Please bring cougar town back ABC, what in God’s name are you thinking about?

31. Alicia says:

YA BABY!, YAA…PENNY CAN ROCKS!

32. Alicia says:

I LOVE THIS SHOW! Please keep this sitcom child-free, even if it only lasts this season. Cougar Town is a very refreshing show in a sea of crap TV!