Charlie Sheen Sounds Off on New Series ('No Fart Jokes'), Old Demons ('I'm Not Crazy Anymore!')

Fox Broadcasting on Sunday night threw quite a party as part of the Television Critics Association winter press tour, and where there’s a party… there was Charlie Sheen, ensconced in a mob of reporters and flutter of flashbulbs, the kind of frenzy that accompanies very few TCA soiree guests.

Speaking with myriad outlets, here is what Charlie Sheen had to say about parting ways with TV’s most-watched sitcom, the bad-boy behavior that led up to that split, and his new FX comedy Anger Management, which is inspired by the Jack Nicholson film and is due to debut this summer.

Is Charlie Sheen ‘Winning’ Again? And Lots More TV Questions!

ON LAST YEAR’S TSUNAMI OF CRAZY
* “It was a lot about what had been going on for all the years on the job… It was also 30 years in the business, pressure cooking up, and finally saying all the things I wanted to say. And I said them all at once. And it created a tsunami of bizarre proportions.”

* “I’m not crazy anymore! That was an episode. I think I’m a different person than I was yesterday. Everything is a lot more mellow and focused and much more rooted in reality.”

* Any regrets in retrospect? “I would’ve been a little less vocal about the people I work with in the executive branch. That’s about it, though.”

ON MOVING ON FROM TWO AND A HALF MEN
* “I just didn’t want that to be my television legacy. I wanted to do something that ended better, will end better. Nothing against those guys. They know what they did, I know what I did, and we all moved on. So I’m happy about that.”

* “I went from making $2 million a week to $17,000 a week on [Roman Coppola’s A Glimpse Inside the Mind of Charles Swan III], and I was never happier. It ain’t about the money.”

* “Man, it’s a bit nutty,” he told the Los Angeles Times. “I’m just a white guy from Malibu who dropped out of high school. I’m amazed that there’s still all this interest in what’s going on.”

ON CBS’ NEW MEN
* “It was a little bizarre to watch your own funeral. It was a little mean-spirited. But it’s dead and buried now, right?”

* “It’s a different show. I thought the [season premiere] moment of the urn, with the smoke of my body and [Ashton Kutcher's] reveal at the window, was one of the great television moments of all time.”

FX Acquires Charlie Sheen’s Comeback Vehicle, Anger Management – Will You Watch?

ON BRINGING HIS ANGER TO FX
* “I spent a year in anger management, so I’ve already done my research,”

* “There’ll be no fart jokes, and [no] d–k jokes, and [no] poo-poo jokes, and [no] j–k-off jokes.”

* “Every time I see [Anger Management showrunner Bruce Helford], it’s like 100 warm hugs. To have my input welcome is an alien concept to me.”

* “I just wanted to do a show and play a character that dealt with more mature themes… with stuff that actually exists in the real world,” he told the L.A. Times.”A lot of the time on [Two and a Half Men], I felt we were servicing the comedy and not allowing it to come out of character situations.”

ON THE CATCHPHRASE THAT TOOK AMERICA BY STORM… FOR A GOOD 12 HOURS
* “I find it really strange now when someone comes up to me in the supermarket and says, ‘Winning!’ “

1. Joe says:

awesome, I always loved Sheen but I wasn’t gonna watch that crappy sitcom to see him. Looking forward to the new show.

2. Juliet says:

Love Charlie Sheen, he is quite unique among the so called self-righteous, fake Hollywood circus, i can’t wait to watch his new show and to see him come back making movies, moreover FX is a great network.

3. God says:

Charlie Sheen is my son

4. David says:

Good for Charlie. Was an epic meltdown, but the best thing he ever did was get fired from that absurd sitcom. Why America tunes in to that garbage truly bothers me to no end.

Hopefully Anger Management is a success. And if not, Sheen will find something else worthy of actual talent.

5. dq17 says:

I don’t want to be remembered for a successful sitcom, I’d rather be remembered as the crackhead with the epic meltdown…Now there’s some logic for ya! I really hope he’s better, but the fact that he’s making excuses like that for his previous behavior indicate he really hasn’t come to grips with the reality of the disease that is addiction.

• jj says:

there are a lot of actors who wouldn’t want 2.5 men to be their legacy, either. He’s lucky that he has the ability ( due to his superstardom) to have a choice about that. Everyone that was actually INVOLVED in the situation is moving on and letting go. It’s strange that there are so many who had nothing to do with the situation (other than enjoying the train wreck unfold), seem to find it impossible to do the same. But i put these people in the same category as those who still have to bring up jen aniston every time brad or angie gets mentioned- people who judge lives that they have no part of and make mountains out of long ago caved in mole hills. Reality stars? They’re fair game bc the only thing they are selling is their privacy. Their lives and the intimate details of them are their currency so sling crap at the kardashians all you want. Actual working actors or musicians? Some curiosity is understandable, but most are not selling themselves, they are selling their WORK. There IS a difference, america. Learn it!

• Danny says:

I agree but it seems some people AND medias are bitter toward Charlie Sheen because somewhat the guy dismissed them (or they think so..), get over it people yep Charlie doesn’t give a damn about you, face it, move on..At the same time he enjoys and appreciates people who enjoy his work and care about him as an actor and doesn’t judge his PERSONAL business.
        I am looking forward to watch his new show.

6. gcem says:

Can’t wait for Charlie’s new show. I’ve missed Charlie. I was so mad at him for a long time, but I can see how much he is trying to get his life back in order. I hope he succeeds, for his kids’ sake as well as his own. Haven’t watched Two and a Half men this season since the second episode. A little Ashton Kutcher goes a loooooong way. All this character is is Michael Kelso with too much money and not enough brains.