Fox Boss Offers Renewal Updates on House, Fringe, Terra Nova and More!

Fox is delaying a decision on the fate of House. Ditto Terra Nova and Fringe.

The network’s entertainment president, Kevin Reilly, told reporters at the Television Critics Association’s press tour that he and House creator David Shore “agreed mutually to put it off until after the first of the year. We haven’t had that meeting yet.” Reilly acknowledged that he’s been “avoiding” a firm decision because “it’s hard to imagine the network without House… It [is] going to be a close call.”

Should this be the last season of House, Reilly insisted that fans will get a satisfying ending. “It’s not going to be an unceremonious finish,” he assured.

Reilly all but ruled out the possibility of a spinoff. “That time has come and gone,” he said. “David never creatively found something that excited him.”

Glee Spinoff Scrapped — Find Out Why!

Regarding the status of fellow bubble show Terra Nova, Reilly said a decision will have to come down in the coming weeks. “We’ll decide very soon, because it does need to get back into production in the next month,” he said. “If [it doesn't come back], we made money on it [and] the audience enjoyed it.” Reilly acknowledged that the show “was hunting for itself creatively through the season.”

Fringe Bosses Say this Season’s Finale Can Work As Series Finale, But Hint at New Home for Saga

As far as Fringe is concerned, Reilly conceded, “We lose a lot of money on the show. At that rating, on [Friday] night, its impossible to make money. We’re not in the business of losing money… [But] I’m not doing the soft cancel here. That’s another decision we will have to make.

“I do not want to drop the ball on the end and let the fans down,” he added. “Please don’t start the letter writing campaign now. I can’t take it. … We haven’t even sat down with the producers and the studio.” (Read more about the Fringe producers’ plan to end the series, if need be.)

Other highlights of Fox’s exec session:

* Allen Gregory is dead. Reilly confirmed the rookie animated series will not be returning for a second season.

* Reilly seemed to all but confirm that Steve Jones would not be back as host of X Factor in Season 2. After confirming that the show will undergo some changes during its hiatus, Reilly honed in on “the hosting gig,” adding, “It’s a much harder job than meets the eye. I think everybody now appreciates the value of Ryan Seacrest.”

TAGS: , , , ,
GET MORE: News, Renewals, TCA Press Tour

1. Rachel says:

I agree that it took Terra Nova a little time to develop creatively, but I really felt like it was finding its footing towards the end of the season. I really hope they can get it back into production for a season 2!

2. v. mort says:

House is still the best television show ever. Please keep going.

3. kevin says:

Fox forgot to mention the status of I HATE MY TEENAGE DAUGHTER. The new sitcom was downright horrible and the network better cancel the Jaime Pressly comedy series sooner rather than later.

4. Alauda says:

There won’t be much to watch if they cancel House, Fringe and Terra Nova. I probably won’t turn in at all.

5. jhon says:

Hugh Laurie el mejor actor de tv,pero casa tiene que finalizar.La temporada 7 fue horrible

6. Renee says:

Oh man I was hoping to hear Terra Nova was renewed! Just rewatched the finale today. It has potential and man you said it made money! And oddly I’m really liking Lucas if they would just make him less psychotic/insane.

7. IndianSher says:

Please renew House for one more season so there can be a more well thought out finale! I don’t care what people say about the show, its still one of my favorites. As for Fringe, I’ve never personally watched it but since so many people are dedicated to it, I hope they renew it for a fifth and final season as well.

8. GM says:

Why can not the Fox people make up their bloody minds about House. It was said a year ago this may be the last season, so to read they still have not decided, or even talked with David Shore yet! is mind boggling. They are shooting what ep 15 of 22 eps. If they want to give fans a satisfying ending they had better make their minds up fast. House has made multi millions of dollars for Fox/Universal for the last eight years. Like or not this season, it deserves a little respect. It would be a disgusting way to treat fans and cast/crew of the show to just dump it.

9. Isabel says:

The fans of Fringe deserve to see the conclusion of this great show.
    There is plenty of time for the writers to end the show. I am so
    tired of investing my time in shows that are just cancelled and
    we are left hanging. Give us a break!!!

10. PLEASE, Fox, and David Shore, don’t cancel HOUSE. Many people love it and want to see it continue for at least another year. I think House (the character) needs one more year to get himself in the shape I know he can be.
    Obviously the show should end with “Physician, heal thyself.” He can’t heal physically, (leg) perhaps, but he can heal psychologically.
    He can transcend the part of himself that made him drive into Cuddy’s building. Not that the character has to change, but he can realize he doesn’t want to be as much of an “ass” any more.
    I’d live to see a good ending– but a year or more from now, if Mr. Laurie and others are willing. None of us really want to see it go… the true fans!

11. Terry says:

keep Fringe and Terra nova on great shows.

12. Fido says:

The Fringe “live or die” decision maker guy’s comment made me think that if he does decide to yield/wield the knife then he might just give them one more ep for a “goodbye to the fans, wrap up things they wanted to wrap up” kinda thing.

13. Grace says:

I want [H]OUSE to come back so badly! Season 7 was terrible with the ‘Huddy” arc, but that is over and the show is getting much better again. The ratings WILL be better now that it’s not opposite Monday Night Football. Many people DVD’d [H]OUSE and watched the games.
    How FOX/NBC could even THINK about losing HUGH LAURIE is beyond me.
    He is AMAZING as Dr. House. Mesmerizing, really.
    Love this show so much and want it back so bad as long as Mr. Laurie wants it to go on. But, we DO NEED at least one more season to end the good doctor’s story. We owe the show and the fans that much!

14. kayla says:

I’m enjoying season 8 of House and I hope that Fox doesn’t cancel it (assuming, of course, that Hugh Laurie wants it to continue). If they do allow it to return for season 9, I do hope that Robert Sean Leonard and Jesse Spencer return as well.

15. AngelMoonGirl says:

Fringe is one of the best shows on TV right now. Incredibly well-acted with strong stories and an epic combination of sci-fi, romance, drama, action, and humor… it’s seriously so worth a renewal. It is pure creative genius! I’ll be SO upset if Fringe gets jilted. We need AT LEAST a 13-episode final season to wrap everything up, PLEASE! And guys, WATCH FRINGE LIVE instead of only on DVR if you can, we need to get those ratings up, that’s the best we can do!

16. Guy says:

RENEW TERRA NOVA PLEASE FOX! Love this series and i feel we are just getting started. If you made money off this series on that budget then i can’t see why they wouldn’t renew it.

17. Housewife says:

I loved House since day one! I think season 8 is great and I want more. I can’t imagine a year without new House cases… So I am one of the persons who are looking forward to a possible 9th season…

18. juan says:

Soy frances y no comprendo como Hugh Laurie no tiene un EMI es el mejor actor de tv

19. cate says:

- UP –
    FRINGE (8)
    TERRA NOVA (6)
    X FACTOR (7)
    AMERICAN IDOL (6) *Now is a bit repetitive*
    AMERICAN HORROR STORY (9) *WOW*
    ONCE UPON A TIME (9) *Simply wonderful*
    AMERICAN DAD (7)
    FAMILY GUY (8)
    MAD MEN (7)
    HOW I MEET YOUR MOTHER (7)
    THE GOOD WIFE (6)

– DOWN –
    SIMPSON (5) *It was a masterpiece but right now is done*
    CHARLIE’S ANGELS(5)
    HOUSE (5) *But it was fantastic on the first years*
    CLEVELAND SHOW (5)
    DESPERATE HOUSEWIVES (5)
    GREY’S ANATOMY (5) *soap-operish*

20. rich says:

MORE DETAILS
    by EW

– ”On House, sources suggest this is likely the veteran hit medical drama’s final season. But Reilly assures even if that’s the case, creator David Shore will have time to write a great finale (unlike, say, Fringe — more on that here). “It’s hard to imagine the network without House,” he said. “It’s not going to be like the pink slip goes out and that’s the end of House. We haven’t had the big meeting about what we want to do. It’s no secret last year we said last year it was going to be a close call and it’s probably its last year. This is not going to be an unceremonious finish, I can tell you that.” Now even if Fox does axe the show, there’s also a chance another network, like NBC (whose studio produces the series) could pick it up. But even if that happens… “it will absolutely have a satisfying conclusion on Fox. There’s no way David Shore isn’t going to let fans feel it wasn’t properly capped off.”

21. kayla says:

It looks like Jesse Spencer was the only House cast member at the Fox TCA Party. I wonder if that’s a bad sign for the show regarding cancellation.

• carol says:

Yes, I think this is significant. Hugh Laurie can’t muster the energy/enthusiasm to turn out in support of the show he headlines. Love her or hate her, the bubbly and intelligent Lisa Edelstein was always an unflagging champion in supporting “House” through the years. Her absence from the cast this season resonates in important ways on and off screen.

22. dianna says:

Don’t wanna lose money on Fringe? Don’t put it on Friday night slot!! Sheesh, execs are stupid sometimes.

23. Kat says:

I feel bad for Steve Jones but I don’t think he was the fit for American audiences. Hilarious the comment about appreciating Ryan Seacrest since it is coming on the heels of so many headlines wondering if this is Ryan’s last year at Idol. After that comment, Ryan may be staying…

24. carol says:

House is running on fumes this season. Such dismal uninvolving medical stories, no drama at all, dull slapstick humor with Wilson, boring new colleagues, and unbelievable promotion of Foreman to dean of medicine. The show seems old, tired, and begging to be put out of its misery this season.

I have loved House since season one and I hate to see it dragging so badly to the finish line. Please, Fox suits, give Shore a chance to craft a strong ending for this show this season. Give the wonderful Hugh Laurie the send-off he so richly deserves, rather than this embarassing, demeaning season eight nonsense.

25. Anon says:

Seriously the three most watchable shows on Fox are in danger of being cancelled while crap like The X Factor are safe where is the sense in that.

• omous says:

There is none. I understand why X Factor isn’t being cancelled (it’s shiny and new, not that I would ever watch it since it’s still the same show/concept of several other TV shows currently on air) but American Idol needs to go. That show got old after season 5. It’s the same thing over and over again and is on way too long during the week. I could tolerate it if it was only on 2 hours a week but 5-6 hours a week is overkill.

26. nitemar says:

Only way they can safe House is if they bring Lisa E(Cuddy) back and can finish their storyline.

27. Jen says:

It’s time for House to be cancelled. It has gotten worse and worse during the past 4-5 years. Such a same that the talented HL, RSL & LE were giving such godawful storylines. Such a shame that JM, OE & JS got pushed to the side during the big shake up of neeeding new blood only to have them pushed back into this mess. Now there’s boring Taub and Cuddy/Cam 4.0. I feel bad for LE & JM for the way the writers destroyed their characters b/c they could not seem to have the ability to write an intellgent, smart female who was attracted to House,who would eventually walk away w/her dignity when things didn’t work out. I feel bead for RSL that Wilson was reduced to a Huddy whisper and the cat adopter. But it’s HL that I feel the worse for as the character of House has turned into a complete joke. Please put this show out of its misery b/f House hooks up with Cuddy’s 16yo Rachel in a futuristic “very special” House.

28. Antonio says:

Cmon, House deserves another season, season 8 has been so good, atleast leave season 8 to show more about the new characters and to start with the las histories for the old characters, House shouldnt be cancelled only bcoz of season 7 and probably s6.

As for my perfect ending I will like House solving a medical case regarding him and that at the end he discovers whats wrong with him but its to late to save his life, that would be a great ending.

29. D says:

I want a Season 9 of House. End it there, I suppose.

30. Milu says:

House MD is the best show ever!
    It shouldn’t have one more season but three or four more. This show deserves to continue. Thank you Hugh Laurie for giving us such an excellent performance.

31. House & Fringe Fan says:

House and Fringe are both amazing programs watched them both from series 1 but gotta admit i do prefer House but either way dont cancel either if you gonna end them give them a proper Finale Series and end the show the way the fans want it, its the least these 2 brilliant shows deserve

32. KenJ says:

Please please please NOT Fringe !!! It is by far my favorite show of the post Star Trek era. I’m down on one knee Tebowing for Fringe’s survival.

33. brandy says:

I really love Terra Nova, so here is hoping for its return.!! The characters are just so charismatic.. The actors are really good together and make this series the best I have seen in awhile.
    Liked house the first season but lost interest in the 2nd and Fringe is good but still it hasn’t held my interest that much.

34. Donald says:

I agree, please keep Terra Nova. I think the way the story line has gone it kind of had to start out slow. They had to build a whole new dimension and time into it. That just can’t happen and make sense with the snap of a finger. Anyway, please FOX, don’t be like the jerks at the Sci-Fi channel. They have cancelled awesome show after awesome show for one reason or another. Maybe they need to get new ratings people… how do you get that job anyway? Is it an actual job? Or do you just choose random homeowners? I wouldn’t mind doing that.
    At least give Terra Nova one or two more seasons. Let it develop and maybe run it on a Sunday or something to try and catch a bigger audience.

35. Big Fox Fan says:

Despite not living on one of the cooler coasts, Aggies watch a lot of TV. I love Bones. Still. It only gets better and better. One reason Emily Deschanel. Adorable and a true geek. I hate the spin-off Finder. Goofy for the sake of being goofy. It should go. House sucks. It was a fine show once, but has aired past it’s prime. Hugh Laurie deserves better. I hated Terra Nova until the last few episodes. The finale. Wow! Now if that’s the show that will be on next season I am there. Give it the Lost treatment. Please. I agree with Sam it has much potential. Fringe is okay. Alcatraz is not doing it for me. Glee is stupid. AI is tired. Ok, that’s my 2 cents.

36. PR says:

It’s so depresding to not have a good show to wind down to after work. I enjoyed Terra Nova so much I didn’t mind starting out the work week because Monday night was Terra Nova night!

I need to have this back on the air. How will we ever know what’s going on in the badlands?

37. brian says:

Fringe is a great show . I watched every episode and even purchased the first 3 seasons from amazon. Then this season it was block in my area with direct tv. So being a true fan I have purchased each episode as it it released via amazon. 2.99 each. Really cancel? Why does every scifi show get dumped? This show unlike most has so much going for it. Multiple universes. That is like 10 seasons minimum. From one big fan… Please don’t cancel Fringe.

38. Sean says:

Fringe is crap, it should have been canceled after the first episode.