Exclusive: A+E Networks Developing Bonnie and Clyde Miniseries Reboot — Let's Cast the Leads!

A+E Networks is closing in on Bonnie and Clyde.

The cable giant is developing a miniseries based on the Depression Era outlaws that would air on either Lifetime or History, sources confirm to TVLine exclusively.

The news comes at a time of renewed interest for the legendary criminals. A Bonnie & Clyde musical recently opened (and closed) on Broadway, and a big-screen adaptation of Jeff Guinn’s 2010 tome Go Down Together: The True, Untold Story of Bonnie and Clyde is in the pipeline.

Rumor has it A+E has begun compiling a wish list of actors to tackle the iconic roles, made famous by Warren Beatty and Faye Dunaway in the acclaimed 1967 film version — which got me thinking: Who would be on my short list of potential Bonnies and Clydes?

Peruse my dream gallery below and then hit the comments with your own picks in the comments!

Comments (300)

• I love the idea of Gillian Jacobs and Joel McHale, they have awesome chemistry and don’t get enough recognition as a pair

Comment by Isabella – January 8, 2012 10:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love Tom Welling, Erica Durance, Zachary Levi, and Yvonne Strahovski, but I see Zac and Yvonne more as a Bonnie and Clyde. I think the show, Chuck, made it easier to view them as a badass couple. Also, someone said that Clyde isn’t as bulky like Tom Welling and Zac isn’t bulky. Erica could pass as a Bonnie, too. But since I’m used to seeing Zac and Yvonne together on screen, it just seems like a better pairing.

Comment by Renee E. – January 8, 2012 11:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • TOM WELLLING and CASSIDY FREEMAN Are great couple!

Comment by Sarah – January 8, 2012 11:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yes Tom Welling is a great actor!

Comment by Monica – January 8, 2012 11:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • A more ridiculous statement has never been made.

Comment by Herve – January 8, 2012 11:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I know about “ridiculous statements” like the one that says your opinion matters

Comment by ferdinan – January 8, 2012 11:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agreed Monica! I love and miss this talented actor so much!

Comment by nikki – January 9, 2012 05:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • TOM WELLING! We miss you very much.

Comment by Rebecca – January 8, 2012 11:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Tom Welling is fantastic and hot in the role of villian, yes TOM !

Comment by Tony – January 8, 2012 11:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Tom Welling – YES!!! Erica Durance – never.

Comment by mgb – January 8, 2012 11:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Here! Here!

Comment by Welling Fan – January 9, 2012 09:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Keep going you Troll.

Comment by kelly jo. – January 10, 2012 02:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Tom Welling and Erica Durance !!!

Comment by viralex – January 8, 2012 11:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The skill of an actor depends on the quality of the movies and writing! I want Tom Welling and Erica Durance!

Comment by Margot – January 8, 2012 11:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Jason Dohring and Kristen Bell!!!! That would be amazing… Of course if Kristen was unavailable they could find someone else… For me I think Jason would be an amazing Clyde!!!!

Comment by mandy – January 8, 2012 11:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Tom Welling and Erica Durance! Hell yeah!!:D

Comment by Cynthia – January 8, 2012 11:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Tom Welling and Erica Durance are great couple with great Chemistry and sexual attraction. Yes Tom and Erica!

Comment by Laura – January 8, 2012 11:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • At the very least they should cast Jeremy Jordan (Clyde from the broadway production). He was absolutely perfect for that part, and he could totally pull it off onscreen. I don’t know if Laura Osnes would carry over quite as well, so Bonnie is up for debate.

Comment by Caroline – January 8, 2012 11:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yvonne Strahovski and Zachary Levi! Perfection.

Comment by ChloeT – January 8, 2012 11:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I guess if we have to choose actors who’ve played on-screen couples, my vote would be for Kristen Bell and Jason Dohring, both of whom have shown the ability to play unhinged, cruel characters with deceptively pretty/baby faces.

Comment by MelindaB – January 8, 2012 11:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Tom Welling! I want tom and erica.

Comment by Natali – January 8, 2012 11:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This will might sound weird.
    But…

Mark Salling & Lea Michele

Yeah i went there…Sorry

Comment by Louise – January 8, 2012 11:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Zac and Yvonne for sure! They are the best!!!

Comment by Chuck fan – January 8, 2012 11:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Tom Welling has the same beauty of W. Beatty . Tom Welling!

Comment by Sonia – January 8, 2012 11:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • OMG LOL, I’m not even this Sonia and yet we totally had the same thought! I wrote about the Young Warren Beatty / Tom Welling resemblance on page1! Ha ha ha! Proof that all Sonias are brilliant! LOL

Comment by Sonia – January 9, 2012 05:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Zac & Yvonne FTW!! They have great chemistry and can play a great badass couple.

Comment by CB – January 8, 2012 11:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The best and perfection : Tom Welling and Erica Durance!

Comment by Mark – January 8, 2012 11:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Tom Welling!!!! Forever .

Comment by Simon – January 8, 2012 11:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Also sick to death of TVline trying to push Penn . Note to Michael- give it up, guy, we don’t like Penn and he is the least popular guy and cast member on GG now. We like Ed and Leighton together as Chuck and Blair. Get a clue and quit pushing your man crush on an actor who is sub par at best!

Comment by MSC – January 8, 2012 11:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Obviously Penn is talented or he wouldn’t have gotten casted to play a big leading role as Jeff Buckley. What has Ed done besides play a lame cliche bad boy on a crappy CW teen soap? LOL That blink and you’ll miss it 1 minute cameo in that flop J. Edgar wasn’t exactly “impressive”. LMFAO. Stay pressed about Ed’s non existent and fail acting career.

Comment by Jessie – January 8, 2012 12:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Honey, being cast by Clint Eastwood shows he has talent and Penn, the guy is the most boring and least liked on the show. I’m sorry you fail to realize that but it’s true. His movie- it will get killed by the one that Twilight guy is in. they’re playing the same role and guess who’s more populer, you dimwit

Comment by MSC – January 8, 2012 12:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Don’t try to reason with Stupid. Girl knows most fans don’t even know Penn unless he was with Blake

Obviously Ed Westwick and Leighton Meester have Bonnie and Clyde qualities when playing Chuck and Blair. You know the ones who can act on that show.

Comment by Jenkins – January 8, 2012 12:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • You do realize that Bonnie and Clyde were “legendary criminals”, right? In light of that, your GG selection is… puzzling.

I’d vote Ed Westwick and Leighton Meester.

Out of your choices, I’d give it to Alexander and Anna.

Comment by Allie – January 8, 2012 12:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • lol@Chuckistan.

Comment by LOL – January 8, 2012 12:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This just seems like a list of pairings you like, not people who would actually make any sense cast as Bonnie and Clyde. I mean- Scott Foley and Keri Russell? Joel McHale? Penn Badgley? … seriously?

Comment by Virginia – January 8, 2012 12:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yeah, I agree with Virginia. I mean, I adore many of the actor pairings on this list, but that doesn’t actually make them Bonnie & Clyde material.

Comment by Cheryl – January 8, 2012 01:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Def. Jason and Kristen! Love them, and they can both play bad guys.

Comment by Dee – January 8, 2012 12:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Tom Welling and Olivia Wilde would be a really interesting combination. I could see both of them playing strong characters in mischief!

Comment by Julia – January 8, 2012 12:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That would be one insanely gorgeous combination.

Comment by Valerie – January 8, 2012 05:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I love how you worded that “playing strong characters in mischief” and I totally agree with your picks too.

Comment by Dana – January 9, 2012 05:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Go with couples who have chemistry- Ed Westwick and Leighton Meester, Jason Dohring and Kristen Bell, Tom Welling and Erica Durance

Comment by Leigh – January 8, 2012 12:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Tom Welling and Olivia W. Fantastic couple!

Comment by Nicolas – January 8, 2012 12:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ed Westwick and Leighton Meester make far more sense.
    I don’t really watch GG much anymore, but the whole Chuck/Blair dynamic would be great for Bonnie and Clyde!

Comment by Molly – January 8, 2012 12:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love Tom Welling is great and fantastic actor!

Comment by Mary – January 8, 2012 12:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yvonne Strahovski & Zach Levi!!!

Comment by Rosie – January 8, 2012 12:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Olivia Wilde and Scott Porter. Fantastic actress/actor.

Comment by Trevor – January 8, 2012 12:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I would watch anything with Erica Durance and Tom Welling, those two are great together.
    On side note, why do people always want to bash the actors, just type your pick and move on.

Comment by MKRR – January 8, 2012 12:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree, as an outsider reading about all these fan wars in Gossip Girls or the Smallville shipper wars is exhausting. Nobody cares if you are butthurt over your shipper war! Move on!

Comment by Truth – January 9, 2012 05:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yvonne Strahovski & Zach Levi

Comment by kova – January 8, 2012 12:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Tom welling and Olivia wilde .Very original and interessant couple!

Comment by Sabrina – January 8, 2012 12:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Is Ausiello dair’s personal cheerleader or something? Your biased agenda is so unprofessional it’s actually laughable.

Comment by ridiculous – January 8, 2012 12:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Tom Welling and Erica Durance ….forever !!

Comment by Serena – January 8, 2012 01:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I would choose Skaarsgard and Paquin. Paquin can be very immocent looking. Skaarsgard just downright tempting.

Comment by Jaclyn (Jackie) Wenner – January 8, 2012 01:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I want ERICA DURANCE and TOM WELLING. Why? because their the most beautiful people on this earth. Their chemistry is so amazing,you cant get enough of them. Gosh i could just stare at them all day.

Comment by TJ – January 8, 2012 01:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Kristen Bell would be perfect as Bonnie. For Clyde, I would pick Matt Bomer or Tom Welling.

Comment by maggie – January 8, 2012 01:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yes. I like Dohring, but his look is all wrong and not edgy enough. Kristen with Bomer or Welling would be better.

Comment by IMO – January 9, 2012 05:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Kristen Bell and Jason Dohring! Aww, this makes me miss Veronica Mars even more :(

Comment by Amelia – January 8, 2012 01:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Penn and Leighton! Penn has a stunning voice! And Leighton can sing too!

Comment by Adam – January 8, 2012 01:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I LOVE LEIGHTON! I WISH THAT CRAPPY SHOW WOULD END SO SHE COULD BE SET FREE! SHE DESERVES SO MUCH BETTER.

Comment by KISS – January 9, 2012 05:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Erica Durance and Tom Welling – They have an amazing chemistry…

And they are both hot!

Comment by Renara – January 8, 2012 02:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I know he’s busy with another show and not available, but if he weren’t I would definitely go with Ian Somerhalder. He’s the perfect sexy badass with that mischievous glint in his eye and can deliver a snarky line with the best of ‘em.

Comment by Bad Breaker – January 8, 2012 02:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m sorry Smallville is one of my favorite shows, but A&E would never cast Tom Welling and Erica Durance because hello they are known as Clark Kent and Lois Lane. And there acting isn’t up to par.

I vote for Kirsten Bell or Olivia Wilde as Bonnie. Jason Dohring is a great idea, but I haven’t seen him on anything as of late.

I think Matt Bomer would pull of a great Clyde to either one of those ladies.

I’m going to also play the NCIS card and say Michael Weatherly and Sasha Alexander would make a good pair!

Comment by Alicia L. – January 8, 2012 02:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I want Tom Welling is a great actor and has great appeal.Yes TOM!

Comment by John moss – January 8, 2012 03:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What flawless taste!

I’d give anything to have my weekly quota of Durance and Welling back! And I’d love Penn and Leighton doing something more together once GG is over. Dan and Michelle are great as well, you’ve got flawless taste, Ausie! Amazing chemistry between all these couples!

Comment by Manu – January 8, 2012 03:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post